[Balin] We Built This City: The Great... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Balin] We Built This City: The Great Adventure, Part III « Previous Next »

Author Message
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11350
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, the top fell, so you're definitely in the real world, not in your dream. You gather yourself together; while you're at it, you gather all your stuff together - the top and note from your pockets, plus everything from the first game that's on the floor.

You're back in that shed again. Where to start...

INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
Golf club
Scrap of paper (reads "film")
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
Can of Silly String
3D glasses
Matchbook with 1 match
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Crowbar
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's note

To help you out, you may want to look over the first part of this adventure.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2859
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the shed thoroughly. What do you see? Is there any way out? Anything interesting lying around?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11352
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and you may want to look over the content of Brigitte's note from the second part.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11353
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the shed thoroughly. What do you see? The same as before - the plank with the handle, and the door. Is there any way out? Yes - the door is open. Anything interesting lying around? Nothing that you haven't picked up already. And the mattress, but that won't move.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2861
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out Brigitte's note and reread it, please.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11355
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out Brigitte's note and reread it, please. You unfold the note, which says:

To the adventurer:

If you've found this, that means I was able to break the loop. However, if you keep doing things the way you've done them before, you will remain trapped in the loop.

I'm still on the outside, and I could only get into the loop once. However, to completely break out of the loop, you have to remember "reversal." If you remember this, you will be able to get out. Starting now.

If the loop is broken, everything will change when you return, and you will be able to completely escape. But you will still need to remember. I will help as much as I can without being found out.

Brigitte


Since things are different, you think you can safely assume that you've escaped the loop. But you're still not free...and you should probably keep remembering "reversal." Whatever that's for.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2863
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm...interesting...Walk backwards out the door. That's a very reverse thing to do.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11357
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm...interesting...Walk backwards out the door. That's a very reverse thing to do. You do so. You're now in the yard again - the same yard, with the tree, and the statue, and the barred gate, and the hedge. Nothing's changed, except that you're now outside.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2865
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there's absolutely nothing new or different to find? maybe we should keep walking backwards?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11359
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there's absolutely nothing new or different to find? Nothing. maybe we should keep walking backwards? OK, you keep walking backwards. As it dawns on you that that might not be what "reversal" meant, you bang into the gate. You turn around, rubbing your head as you do so. That's strange - one of the bars seems rusted at its ends.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2868
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch...not concussed, I do hope :-( Examine the rusted bar. Is there a way to get the rust off? Can the rusted bar be separated from the rest of the gate?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11361
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch...not concussed, I do hope :-( No, just a small bump. It'll go away soon.

Examine the rusted bar. It's not very thick, but it's pretty long. There's not all that much rust on it, but it's probably enough to weaken the bar. Is there a way to get the rust off? You don't think so. Can the rusted bar be separated from the rest of the gate? Probably, but you'll need some kind of tool to remove the bar.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2870
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

golf club? screwdriver? crowbar?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11364
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

golf club? ...will not work, you'd need some sort of abrasive or cutting force. screwdriver? ...also won't work, though it chips away at the rust a bit. crowbar? ...doesn't work, for the same reasons.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2872
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

file?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11366
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

file? Now there's an idea...you file away at the bar until it comes off. You add that to your collection of stuff.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2300
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the shed, and pull the handle on the plank. What happens?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11367
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the shed, and pull the handle on the plank. What happens? Your arm almost pops off, that's what...for some reason, the plank is jammed. That's odd; it used to open...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2877
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ow...that's not helpful. Would whacking the plank with the iron bar help? with the crowbar?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11369
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ow...that's not helpful. Would whacking the plank with the iron bar help? Whacking it won't but... with the crowbar? ...prying the plank off does. The plank comes off the wall, revealing a keyhole and button. You add the plank to your inventory.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2879
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A button? What sort of button? And can you pick the keyhole's lock with the coat hanger?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11372
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A button? What sort of button? A button that you push. And can you pick the keyhole's lock with the coat hanger? Nah, the hanger is too thick.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2881
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's not a Big Red Button? Or marked Do Not Press? (Just checking)

If not (or even if so) push the button.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11374
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's not a Big Red Button? Or marked Do Not Press? (Just checking) No, it's a small blue button that is not marked.

If not (or even if so) push the button. You push the button. Nothing happens.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2885
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well...what a (currently?) unhelpful blue button. *tries to think of what to do now* Look around the yard.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11381
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well...what a (currently?) unhelpful blue button. Emphasis on the "currently"...

*tries to think of what to do now* Look around the yard. There's the bronze statue with the torch (possibly removable), the tree with the hole in the trunk, the lever in the hedge, and the stuff behind the shed (telephone pole, plexiglass wall now stuck in hedge).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2887
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try removing the torch.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11385
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try removing the torch. You can't reach it. And you already tried using the golf club, back in the first part, which didn't work either.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2890
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

crowbar? board? iron bar? can you climb the statue and do it that way?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11387
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

crowbar? board? iron bar? No dice. You'll need to find a way to get up there and remove it by hand. can you climb the statue and do it that way? The statue's too slippery to get a solid grip on.

INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
Golf club
Scrap of paper (reads "film")
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
Can of Silly String
3D glasses
Matchbook with 1 match
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Crowbar
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's note
Metal bar
Plank
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2892
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the stepladder get you up high enough?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11390
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the stepladder get you up high enough? Good thought - you try climbing the stepladder, but find yourself barely a foot out of reach.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11391
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When climbing down the stepladder, you notice something on the statue's base: a circle with two square holes in it, about six inches apart. That's weird...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2894
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how big is the circle? and the holes? would the legs of the stepladder fit in the holes?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11396
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how big is the circle? About a foot in diameter. and the holes? Maybe one or two inches per side of the square. would the legs of the stepladder fit in the holes? No - the legs are way too big.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1455
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the circle merely painted or inscribed in the material of the statue? Or does it look like a separate piece? If it's separate, like a wheel, maybe we can stick something in one of the holes and crank it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11401
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the circle merely painted or inscribed in the material of the statue? Or does it look like a separate piece? It looks like it's a separate piece. If it's separate, like a wheel, maybe we can stick something in one of the holes and crank it. Maybe, but we might have to fit something in both holes.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1457
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we have a golf club, a crowbar, a screwdriver, and a metal bar from the gate. Those sound like they could all be used as levers of some kind to try and turn the circle. So see if any of those fit into the holes. If one does, try turning the wheel just with that one. If you can find two that do, try sticking them in both holes and turning.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11409
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we have a golf club, a crowbar, a screwdriver, and a metal bar from the gate. Those sound like they could all be used as levers of some kind to try and turn the circle. So see if any of those fit into the holes. If one does, try turning the wheel just with that one. If you can find two that do, try sticking them in both holes and turning. The metal bar and screwdriver are thin enough to fit in the holes, but they won't turn the circle. Taking a closer look at the holes, you realize that you'll need something that exact shape to fit in the holes, and a quick glance over your inventory reveals that you don't have anything like that now. You should probably leave the statue till later.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2908
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What else is in the yard? Look around and see what's interesting.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11420
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What else is in the yard? Look around and see what's interesting. Well, there's the lever inside the hedge, first off. Behind the shed is the telephone pole, along with the plexiglass wall stuck in the hedge. There's also the tree with a hole in the trunk and a button that you've pushed already, in Part I.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2910
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try pushing and pulling the lever. Also, examine the telephone pole more closely.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11422
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try pushing and pulling the lever. It's stuck. Also, examine the telephone pole more closely. It's still the same pole - big and wooden. You didn't notice this before, but there's a lightning rod running down the side of the telephone pole.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2914
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh ick, I hope there's no storm coming...er...would it be possible, or advisable, to remove the lightning rod?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11431
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh ick, I hope there's no storm coming...er...would it be possible, or advisable, to remove the lightning rod? It would neither be possible nor advisable.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2916
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then...let's not try it.

Examine the lever more closely and try to determine just why it's stuck, and if it's currently fixable.

Then try and get the plexiglass wall unstuck from the hedge, if you can.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11436
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then...let's not try it.

Examine the lever more closely and try to determine just why it's stuck, and if it's currently fixable. You can't do that because you have to reach into the hedge to pull the lever. The hedge is too thick to see inside.

Then try and get the plexiglass wall unstuck from the hedge, if you can. The plexiglass wall is held in place by some thin vines that make up part of the hedge. You'll need some way to cut them in order to get the plexiglass out.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2918
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the file? Or can they be burned, instead of cut?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11443
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the file? No - you'll need a cutting rather than abrasing tool. Or can they be burned, instead of cut? They're not dry enough to burn.

HINT: In Part I, what was the first place in the yard you successfully did/found something at?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2923
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember!!! :-( *iz frustrated kitteh*
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11447
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember!!! :-( *iz frustrated kitteh* It's where you found the paper scrap and pushed the button...and don't forget, you can always look at the puzzle in the archives.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11482
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2946
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a tornado coming??????????
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 578
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps, look at the tree? :-) (Darn it Balin, now I have the bed intruder song stuck in my head ::sigh:: )
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11495
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a tornado coming?????????? No

Or perhaps, look at the tree? :-) You look at the tree. There's that knot-button that you pushed in back in the first game, and the knothole in the trunk. Come to think of it, that knothole looks kind of odd - it's perfectly round. Thin, but round. (Darn it Balin, now I have the bed intruder song stuck in my head ::sigh:: ) A better earworm than most, though...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2949
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stick something inside it!

The golf club
The crowbar
The screwdriver
The gate bar
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11501
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stick something inside it! The only one of the following items that fits is...

The golf club
The crowbar
The screwdriver
The gate bar ...this one, so you shove the iron bar into the hole. Suddenly, the front side of the tree trunk rises - it's a hidden doorway. You can see that the tree is hollow, and fastened inside it is a large ladder, leading both up and down the tree.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2951
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're sure the door won't close behind you in case you have to get out again, and/or if you're sure everything else out here is taken care of (at least, for the moment), go inside the tree and check out that ladder. Where's it lead to?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2305
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please clarify -- when you say "leading both up and down the tree" do you mean that the tree is hollow, and there's a ladder inside? And you can use the ladder to go up inside the tree? But also to go below ground? Or are you not currently at ground level, and the "down" actually takes you to ground level?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11508
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're sure the door won't close behind you in case you have to get out again, and/or if you're sure everything else out here is taken care of (at least, for the moment), go inside the tree and check out that ladder. Where's it lead to? Both up to the top of the tree and down below ground.

Please clarify -- when you say "leading both up and down the tree" do you mean that the tree is hollow, and there's a ladder inside? And you can use the ladder to go up inside the tree? But also to go below ground? This is correct Or are you not currently at ground level, and the "down" actually takes you to ground level?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2953
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, go up the tree first of all, and see what you can see. Then, when we're done up there, hopefully you can go back down to see what's down there.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11516
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, go up the tree first of all, and see what you can see. You climb up until the trunk narrows to a point where you cannot fit. Up here, you can see a slot inside the trunk, about the same size as the plexiglass wall which is stuck in the hedge. Then, when we're done up there, hopefully you can go back down to see what's down there. You climb down the ladder, and land on a stone floor. On the floor is a medium-sized cannon, and lying next to it is a pair of garden shears.

However, the floor only extends one-third of the way across this "room," before becoming a lava pit. Hanging from a hook in the "ceiling" is a tubular key, and there's a slot in the back wall.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1470
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the shears (they should be of use in trimming the hedge to get the piece of plexiglas), and assuming you can take it off the hook, remove the key too.

Then, unless anyone else has more ideas of things to do here right now, go back outside and test the tubular key in the holes of the "statue wheel".
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11524
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the shears (they should be of use in trimming the hedge to get the piece of plexiglas), You take the shears and head back up into the yard. Going behind the shed, you clip away at the vines holding the plexiglass in place. The vines are cleaved easily, and you remove the plexiglass, adding it to your inventory. and assuming you can take it off the hook, remove the key too. You can't reach it, even with the golf club or crowbar. Besides, if you knocked it off right now, it'd just fall into the lava.

Then, unless anyone else has more ideas of things to do here right now, go back outside and test the tubular key in the holes of the "statue wheel". It won't fit anyway, as the key is round and the holes are square. Actually, the only thing with a tubular lock around here is the bike lock on the gate.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2962
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well. That's irritating. I assume we can't open the bike lock without the key. Is there a way to get rid of the lava? :-(
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1471
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe by sticking the plexiglas in the slot in the lower room with the lava?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11528
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well. That's irritating. I assume we can't open the bike lock without the key. Is there a way to get rid of the lava? :-( It doesn't look like there's a way.

Maybe by sticking the plexiglas in the slot in the lower room with the lava? You can't reach that slot from the floor; however, you do stick the plexiglass in the slot in the top of the tree, and in doing so, you find it is now sticking out of the slot at the bottom.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1472
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, we have warped space-time here--or are you even sure it's the same piece of plexiglass that somehow teleported to the bottom, not a different one?

Anyway the important part--did that do anything to the level of the lava?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2308
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the plank bear weight? Can you stand on it? Can you reach the key by standing on it? Is it under the key? If you use something to knock the key off, will it fall on the plank? Can you use a ladder on the plank to reach the key?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11536
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, we have warped space-time here--or are you even sure it's the same piece of plexiglass that somehow teleported to the bottom, not a different one? You think it's the same. When you stuck it into the slot in the top, it went completely through the slot, so it probably dropped down the tree trunk and came out this slot.

Anyway the important part--did that do anything to the level of the lava? Not at all. The plexiglass is sticking out about a foot above the lava.

Will the plank bear weight? Can you stand on it? You use the plank to bridge the lava between the stone floor and the plexiglass. You step on it - it can barely hold your weight; you can't even take your stuff with you on the plank. Can you reach the key by standing on it? No; the key is far too high. Is it under the key? It is, but you still can't reach the key. If you use something to knock the key off, will it fall on the plank? No, but depending upon what angle you knock the key off the hook, it may fall on the plexiglass - hmmm. Can you use a ladder on the plank to reach the key? No; first of all, the plank won't hold too much weight. Secondly, the tree trunk ladder is fastened inside the tree. Third, the plank is too narrow to place the stepladder on.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1475
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you cut off a length of vine from the hedge and throw it over the hook like a rope, maybe with something attached to the end? Or maybe it will help to straighten out the coat hanger wire and attach it to something?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11541
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you cut off a length of vine from the hedge and throw it over the hook like a rope, maybe with something attached to the end? No, that won't work. You can't even get any vine from the hedge; the thin vines were not long. Or maybe it will help to straighten out the coat hanger wire and attach it to something? The coat hanger will not straighten.

Hang on - what else is on the stone floor?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2972
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know. Look around and see.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11543
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know. Look around and see. There's still that cannon sitting there.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2977
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's true. Erm...are we going to have to be a human cannonball? o.O Or will shooting...something at the key suffice to knock it onto the glass?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11550
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's true. Erm...are we going to have to be a human cannonball? The barrel of the cannon does not appear large enough for you to fit in. o.O Or will shooting...something at the key suffice to knock it onto the glass? You can probably shoot something at the key to knock it over; however, you should probably examine the cannon closer first.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2980
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right then, examine the cannon more closely! What is it made of, what does it look like, is there anything already inside, how big is the cannon, etc., etc...

By the way, you finally $poyled my rulebreaker...Part One, anyway. I am going to try to figure out a decent part two that will keep people interested. Thank you for being so diligent, Balin!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11553
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right then, examine the cannon more closely! What is it made of, what does it look like, is there anything already inside, how big is the cannon, etc., etc... The cannon has a medium-sized barrel. It would fit something about the size of a baseball, or maybe a bit bigger. There's something coiled up which is sticking out of the barrel - pulling it out, you find it to be another envelope.

The back of the cannon doesn't appear to have a fuse, nor even a hole to put one. However, there are four dials on the back; each can be set from 0 through 9. From left to right, the dials are labeled "Angle," "Pitch," "Velocity," and "Fuse."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2982
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...what a weird cannon...

Examine the envelope. Are we talking a small envelope? Greeting card-sized envelope? letter-size envelope? A manila envelope? A package-mailing envelope? Is there anything written on it? If so, what does it say?

Is there anything inside the envelope? If so, what is it? And if so, and there's writing on that, what does it say?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11557
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...what a weird cannon...

Examine the envelope. Are we talking a small envelope? Greeting card-sized envelope? letter-size envelope? This - same as the first one. A manila envelope? A package-mailing envelope? Is there anything written on it? No. If so, what does it say?

Is there anything inside the envelope? If so, what is it? And if so, and there's writing on that, what does it say? There are two things in the envelope. The first is another letter, reading:

If you've found this note, you're doing well. You've only got one thing which will fit in the cannon - make sure you set the dials right before you shoot. I can't say much more, but you still need to remember "reversal." And I've left you more notes along the way. Hopefully I'll see you on the outside.

-Brigitte


The only other thing in the envelope is a quarter, dated 1980.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2986
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I thought the quarters were MY puzzle...oh well, no, you had quarters in one of yours before, lol *grin*
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11563
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I thought the quarters were MY puzzle...oh well, no, you had quarters in one of yours before, lol *grin* But how can this quarter help you now?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1477
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe set the dials to 0,8,9, and 1, in the order they appear to you? Though it is hard to believe that you want to shoot at an angle of zero (to the horizontal OR the vertical, either way)...

As for what will fit in the cannon, maybe the can of silly string (at least it will look neat if it explodes)? or one of the pieces of paper, wadded up?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11573
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe set the dials to 0,8,9, and 1, in the order they appear to you? Though it is hard to believe that you want to shoot at an angle of zero (to the horizontal OR the vertical, either way)... That doesn't seem right, and the fuse hole is still not open. It seems that "reversal" is something we're supposed to remember for the long term, not the short term.

As for what will fit in the cannon, maybe the can of silly string (at least it will look neat if it explodes)? or one of the pieces of paper, wadded up? The Silly String can fits in the barrel nicely, and you use the golf club as a ramrod to shove it down the barrel.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1478
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So then 1,9,8,0? Hopefully we can get by with zero fuse...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11579
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So then 1,9,8,0? Hopefully we can get by with zero fuse... Those dials appear to aim the cannon at the key, and setting the "Fuse" dial to 0 opens up a small hole at the back of the cannon. That's apparently where the fuse goes...however, there's no fuse in sight. Perhaps you could improvise one?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2996
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, what fuselike things have we got on us? Or is there anything that we could twist into a fuse and burn easily but that we won't need later?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1479
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you take one of the pieces of paper and tear a strip off? Or trim a twig off of some plant in the yard and light that?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11584
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, what fuselike things have we got on us? Or is there anything that we could twist into a fuse and burn easily but that we won't need later? As a matter of fact, we do - the scrap of paper that says "film" is probably useless. You go ahead and twist that into a fuse, sticking it into the fuse hole.

Can you take one of the pieces of paper and tear a strip off? Or trim a twig off of some plant in the yard and light that? Already done that. Now the cannon is ready to fire!...but you've only got one shot. Better make it count.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3007
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...fire, and hope it works *hides behind Balin, closing eyes, hoping it works*
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11590
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...fire, and hope it works *hides behind Balin, closing eyes, hoping it works* You light your last match and bring the tiny flame to the improvised fuse. The fuse burns down, accidentally incinerating the matchbook in the process, and...FIRES!!

As you watch, the Silly String can is expelled from the cannon's mouth with a soft "BOOM." It arcs towards the key and strikes it square on. As the can drops into the lava, the key hits the back wall, bounces off the plexiglass, and...ends up in the lava. Drat.

Wait a minute...something just dropped from the ceiling, actually landing on the plexiglass this time. And the lava feels like it's getting hotter - that plank bridge might burn up in no time!
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1480
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh-oh!

Pick up whatever it is from the plexiglass (quickly!) then get off the bridge and remove the plank before it burns up and becomes useless, in case we need it later.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11597
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh-oh!

Pick up whatever it is from the plexiglass (quickly!) then get off the bridge and remove the plank before it burns up and becomes useless, in case we need it later. You hustle over to the plexiglass, grab the item, and run back to the stone floor. The instant you step off the plank, it catches fire and burns up in seconds.

Relieved that you made it, you take a look at the item you picked up. It's a Bic ballpoint pen, one of those cheap plastic ones.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3015
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...All that, for a cheap pen? o.O Now what do we do?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11603
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...All that, for a cheap pen? o.O Now what do we do? Use Wikihow? Or Youtube? *cough cough*
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 582
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. If it's a ballpoint pen, we should be able to take it apart -- do that, see if there's anything interesting inside, take it out if there is something, then put the pen back together. Do we have any more scrap paper? If so, try writing on it. Or try writing on (y)our hand.

Leave the tree, then go back to the hedge and use the shears to clear a path to the lever. Can we see anything more about it now? Anything that might help us see why it wasn't moving?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11612
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. If it's a ballpoint pen, we should be able to take it apart -- do that, You remove the tip and cartridge, leaving the plastic barrel. see if there's anything interesting inside, Nothing. take it out if there is something, then put the pen back together. You stick the cartridge back in the barrel. The pen, by the way, has no cap. Do we have any more scrap paper? Just the two notes, but you'd rather not mess with them. If so, try writing on it. Or try writing on (y)our hand. Your hand now has a small blue line on it. The pen appears to work fine.

HINT: There's a reason I suggested Wikihow.


Leave the tree, then go back to the hedge and use the shears to clear a path to the lever. The vines in front of the lever are the same thickness (or rather, thin-ness) as those holding the wall in place, so you clip them away. Can we see anything more about it now? It's just an ordinary lever. Anything that might help us see why it wasn't moving? No.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11614
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hang on...when you pulled out the second note to contemplate scribbling on it, you noticed something written at the bottom which you'd missed on your first read:

P.S. It's far from over once you pass the gate.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1483
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... do you think you just missed it out of carelessness or stupidity, or was it not there? Maybe it has invisible ink that showed up when the heat from the lava got near it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11629
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... do you think you just missed it out of carelessness or stupidity, or was it not there? Maybe it has invisible ink that showed up when the heat from the lava got near it? It was my stupidity - I forgot to type it out with the rest of the note. Assume it was just carelessness.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2314
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the pen barrel to open the cylindrical lock.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11640
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the pen barrel to open the cylindrical lock. You take the pen apart and pick the bike lock with the barrel. After a few seconds, the lock pops open, and you remove it. You pocket the bike lock and push open the gate.

Stepping out of the yard, you peer into the horizon. It seems like the green grass goes on for ages.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3043
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the green grass grows all around...?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11641
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the green grass grows all around...? Interesting thought. You walk out a ways, and see that the grass goes for about a quarter-mile before ending at a deep, wide canyon. There is a large patch of sand about a hundred feet from the canyon, and inside the sand patch you find a blue key.

You walk along the canyon's rim - it completely encircles the yard. It'll be interesting, discovering how to escape this place. But for now, you head back to the yard.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3045
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you pick up the blue key? If not, go back and get it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11647
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you pick up the blue key? If not, go back and get it. You did pick it up.

INVENTORY RECAP:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
Golf club
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
3D glasses
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Crowbar
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's first note
Shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Bic pen
Bike lock
Blue key

I think that's everything - please correct me if I erred.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11702
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: You have a blue key. Do you have a keyhole to try it in?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11753
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT AGAIN: Yes, you do have a keyhole to try it in. But where is it?

By the way, this adventure is more linear than my previous two; I'm not sure if that'll make it easier or harder.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 599
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go try it in the keyhole that was behind the plank. If nothing happens, press the button too.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11774
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go try it in the keyhole that was behind the plank. You turn the key in the keyhole and hear a click. The button pops out a little bit. If nothing happens, press the button too. You push the button. Suddenly, the sky goes dark; turning around, you hear a loud CRACK! and see a bright blue lightning bolt shoot down and strike the tree. The tree quickly catches fire and burns up in seconds, leaving a big hole in the ground and a massive pile of ashes.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2332
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go look at the hole. Describe what you see. Take some ashes (put them in some kind of container if you have one, or else just put them in a pocket).
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11779
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go look at the hole. Describe what you see. You look down - you can see the lava pit, but the ladder down has burned away with the tree. Take some ashes (put them in some kind of container if you have one, or else just put them in a pocket). You reach into the ashes, and bump something definitely un-ash-like. You pull it out - it's a two-pronged key, kind of like a wide tuning fork, with the prongs about six inches apart. You drop that into your backpack, then stuff a handful of ashes into your pocket.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 600
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk over to the statue and insert the key you just got into the holes in the circular thingie on the base. Turn in whichever direction is likely to move the circle.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11790
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk over to the statue and insert the key you just got into the holes in the circular thingie on the base. It fits perfectly. Turn in whichever direction is likely to move the circle. You turn the key, and the circle spins. You hear a groaning sound, as the statue's base grows wider - a few feet wider on all sides.

You remove the key and drop it into the backpack as you examine the base. On the top of the base, on the same side of the statue as the torch, you see four notches in a large square or rectangular setting. On the base's side, there is a bolted panel reading "TRAPDOOR POWER."
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 601
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look more closely at the notches. Does it look like we have to insert something into them?
Also look closer at the panel. Any clues on it? Does it look like we could remove it if we wanted to?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11792
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look more closely at the notches. Does it look like we have to insert something into them? More like "put something on them" - the notches are not very deep. Maybe an inch or so.
Also look closer at the panel. Any clues on it? Apparently not. Does it look like we could remove it if we wanted to? No - the bolts are not only tightly fixed to the panel, they're also rusted on.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1490
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that you took some ashes from the tree without us asking makes me think they are useful. Maybe we need to fill the four notches with ashes (like whatever that was about scattering ashes to the four corners of the earth, I don't remember from where)? Otherwise, do the letters in your inventory fit in the notches?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11829
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that you took some ashes from the tree without us asking makes me think they are useful. Actually, Noel asked to take the ashes. Maybe we need to fill the four notches with ashes (like whatever that was about scattering ashes to the four corners of the earth, I don't remember from where)? No, that won't work; the notches aren't deep enough. Otherwise, do the letters in your inventory fit in the notches? No, the letters are too big.

HINT: Earlier, you couldn't reach the torch.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1491
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So can you now reach the torch by using the notches as footholds to climb the base? or merely by standing farther out on the base than you could before?

I think I may be misunderstanding what these notches look like. So they are about an inch deep, and about an inch square? or are they more like inch-deep slots? Are they cut into a surface that is relatively level? or into a surface that is steeply inclined?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11831
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So can you now reach the torch by using the notches as footholds to climb the base? No - the notches are...hmmm. If the statue were standing on the floor, the notches would be on the floor. Does that make sense? or merely by standing farther out on the base than you could before? This'll help, but you need some more height...

I think I may be misunderstanding what these notches look like. So they are about an inch deep, and about an inch square? This one or are they more like inch-deep slots? Are they cut into a surface that is relatively level? It's flat. or into a surface that is steeply inclined?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 613
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, wait... do they fit the feet of the stepladder we have? Try that to get to the torch.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11847
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, wait... do they fit the feet of the stepladder we have? That would work, as the notches would keep the stepladder from slipping off the base. Try that to get to the torch. You put the stepladder on the notches and climb up. You're now at eye level with the flaming torch, so you remove it from the statue's hand.

Hey, that's odd...the inside of the statue's hand is not bronze. It's copper...
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1495
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The inside meaning the palm? or was the torch attached by a hole drilled through the metal of the hand?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11858
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The inside meaning the palm? Yes - the palm of the hand, which was holding the torch similar to the Statue of Liberty, is copper. It appears that this statue might be made of copper, and bronze-plated. or was the torch attached by a hole drilled through the metal of the hand?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 617
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm... is this going to require a science experiment? How far away from the status is the telephone pole/lightning rod? Did we lose or otherwise use up our iron bar (I glanced over the puzzle and didn't see where we did, but it's not in the inventory)?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11929
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm... is this going to require a science experiment? Sort of, and I can see that you have the right idea... How far away from the statue is the telephone pole/lightning rod? Pretty far, plus the shed is between the two. Did we lose or otherwise use up our iron bar (I glanced over the puzzle and didn't see where we did, but it's not in the inventory)? We did use and lose the iron bar - it opened the tree.

The lightning rod, by the way, is only about a foot-and-a-half higher than the statue's hand.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1504
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the statue roll or otherwise move about? Is there any kind of metal thing protruding from the top of the shed?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11944
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the statue roll or otherwise move about? No Is there any kind of metal thing protruding from the top of the shed? Only a weather vane, although there's no way you can get to it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11992
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You sit down on the statue's base and think...

It appears you need to overload the trapdoor panel at the statue's base with electricity in order to open it. You have a way to generate a massive amount of electricity, but how can you direct it to the statue?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1517
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This "way to generate a massive amount of electricity"--I assume you mean the lightning rod? Are we supposed to assume that when it's hooked up correctly to something (for instance the statue), lightning will strike it? or are there power lines on the pole with the rod that we need to connect to somehow?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12044
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This "way to generate a massive amount of electricity"--I assume you mean the lightning rod? Hmmm...how did we burn the tree down again? Are we supposed to assume that when it's hooked up correctly to something (for instance the statue), lightning will strike it? or are there power lines on the pole with the rod that we need to connect to somehow? You need to put something in the statue's hand in order to get lightning to hit it.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1520
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The golf club?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12047
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The golf club? You stick the golf club in the statue's hand, and it easily reaches higher than the lightning rod. Now, to bring the lightning...
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1521
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, use the blue key in the keyhole again to get to the button, and press it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12049
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, use the blue key in the keyhole again to get to the button, and press it. The blue key is already in the keyhole (and it won't come out), so you push the button. Again, the sky goes dark, and as you turn around, you hear the lightning CRACK! and see the statue get lit up with a bright blue flash of light. The base of statue fritzes as the panel overloads, before the sky becomes light again.

Suddenly, you hear a noise right next to you. Turning aside, you see that half of the mattress has flipped up, revealing a square trapdoor in the floor! It has a handle, and no lock.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1524
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I'm assuming you can lift the trapdoor? If you can, go down it, and be sure to take your stuff with you.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12062
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I'm assuming you can lift the trapdoor? If you can, go down it, and be sure to take your stuff with you. You pull open the trapdoor and climb down a ladder.

As you reach the bottom of the ladder, you hear a loud sound above you - sort of like a crash and thud. Looking up, you see the trapdoor has closed. You clamber back up the ladder and push on it - it won't move. It seems something heavy has fallen on the trapdoor, so you'll have to find another way out.

You plop down on the ground and look around. There are doors on all four walls. On the wall in front of you, the north wall, there is a sort of electric "eye" to the left of the door. To the door's right is what appears to be a bracket board.

You turn right. To the right of that door is a light switch.

You turn right again. To the right of this door is some sort of box - perhaps a circuit box? It has a metal door on it, but the door is held shut with four flathead screws. Between the circuit box and the door is some small round glass...thing, like a panel set into the well. There are two small vertical slots on either side of it.

You turn right one more time. To the right of this door is yet another circuit box, but its door has no handle.

In the center of the room is a microphone on a stand. There's a large instruction tag hanging from it.

All right...this should be interesting...

INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
3D glasses
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Crowbar
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Bic pen
Bike lock
Blue key
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12063
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, left one thing out of the inventory:

Torch
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3170
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read the instruction tag, first of all. Use the torch for light, if there is not adequate light for reading.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2363
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what's a bracket box?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12071
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read the instruction tag, first of all. Use the torch for light, if there is not adequate light for reading. The room is well-lit, so you read the tag. Many of the words are scratched out (represented with dashes below):

REVERSING MICROPHONE

Instructions: ---- into the back of the microphone ---------------. For example, if you yell "Up!" into it, -------.


Hmm.


what's a bracket box? It's a large board that has a bracket set up on it...kind of like the NCAA basketball tournament bracket. This one is smaller, though, and it only has sixteen teams on it, each one on a small placard - Team 0, Team 1, and so on up to Team 9. There's also Teams A-D, Team Jacob, and Team Edward. (Side note: I dislike Twilight intensely.) However, this "tournament" apparently hasn't started yet.

Also on the board is a small slot with an LCD screen above it. The screen reads "INSERT $5."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3172
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I prefer Team Thranduil :-D

As an aside, Team Jacob and Team Edward could be blended to make Team Jedward, but IMO, Jedward (think The X Factor) was almost worse. I dislike Twilight intensely too.


...Do we have 5 dollars? I only see 25 cents.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2366
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you bet on the tournament somehow? That might be a way to turn 25 cents into $5...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12076
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I prefer Team Thranduil :-D

As an aside, Team Jacob and Team Edward could be blended to make Team Jedward, but IMO, Jedward (think The X Factor) was almost worse. I dislike Twilight intensely too. A friend of mine describes herself as "Team Tyler's Van" - the one that almost runs Bella over at the beginning. It would have saved us a lot of trouble.


...Do we have 5 dollars? I only see 25 cents. No, we only have 25 cents at the moment.

Can you bet on the tournament somehow? That might be a way to turn 25 cents into $5... Not likely. It seems like you'll need the $5 to activate the bracket. Maybe you'd better look elsewhere for now.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1539
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Undo the screws from the electrical box with your screwdriver and see what's in there. Also, try the light switch in case you haven't.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12158
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Undo the screws from the electrical box with your screwdriver and see what's in there. You undo all four screws and add them to your collection of stuff before opening the electrical box. The box has been set into the wall - the only thing inside it is a long thin rope, hanging from somewhere above the box (you can see a hole in the inside-top of the box which the rope goes through). Also, the box has no floor - interesting.

Also, try the light switch in case you haven't. You flick the switch. A beam of white light shines from the glass circle and hits the electric eye. The eye blinks, hiding its red iris for a second, and the light turns off. The switch has also reset to its original position.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1541
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happens if you pull the rope (as far as it will go)?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12170
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happens if you pull the rope (as far as it will go)? You pull the rope down - surprisingly, it takes little effort, although you feel a clear strain on the rope. As you pull, you glance left, and notice the door next to the rope is opening! Pulling the rope all the way down results in the door opening all the way.

However, as soon as you let go of the rope, it rises through the hole and the door drops, closing again.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1543
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try to wind the rope around the heavy things you have in your inventory (the crowbar sounds like the best, for a start), and see if you can weight it down so that the door stays open.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12177
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try to wind the rope around the heavy things you have in your inventory (the crowbar sounds like the best, for a start), and see if you can weight it down so that the door stays open. You tie the crowbar to the rope and let it go. The crowbar's weight causes the rope to rapidly descend, and the door opens. And stays open.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1545
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So take a look what's on the other side of the door.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12193
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So take a look what's on the other side of the door. You step through the door into a dark, stone room. It's not completely dark though, but very dimly lit. There is a door on the opposite side of the room, and on it is a painting of a monk holding an unlit candle. Behind him - at least, it looks this way - there are two lines of monks, all holding unlit candles. The monks are all painted on the walls, and the lines of monks extend all the way around the walls.

There's also something long and thin on the floor. And it has some writing on it, but you can't make it out in this dim light.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3193
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go closer to the long, thin thing and see if you can pick it up or examine it more closely.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12199
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go closer to the long, thin thing and see if you can pick it up or examine it more closely. You pick it up. It is an ordinary drinking straw, still in its wrapper.

You turn the wrapper so you can read the writing, bothered by some annoying ticking noise. It says...

GET OUT NOW!!

You turn and bolt out the door, slipping through only seconds before metal bars shoot through the door's edging, blocking your way in. Or out, if you hadn't made it...phew.

But at least you have the straw.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3195
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well, that was close. I wonder just what you might need the straw for...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12202
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well, that was close. I wonder just what you might need the straw for... Well, I know. But I'm not going to tell you...hee hee.

HINTS: To move forward:

-There's something you need to do with the instruction tag.
-Same for the electric eye.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1548
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the letters in "GET OUT NOW" the same size as those in your inventory? Are they of similar size to the letters on the instruction tag? Maybe we need to unscramble them all to fill in the blanks.

If not, maybe you can scratch off the, um, scratch marks with something sharp from your inventory, in order to read the writing.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3198
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would shooting the electric eye with something through the straw work? (If it won't, don't do it, but just asking)
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
New member
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 726
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i called that phone num allegedly belonging to Brigette and got "All circuits are busy. Announcement 86119-2". Is this relevant?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12222
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the letters in "GET OUT NOW" the same size as those in your inventory? No - they're written on the straw wrapper. Are they of similar size to the letters on the instruction tag? No, they're smaller than those. Maybe we need to unscramble them all to fill in the blanks. They aren't blanks - besides, it looks like the scratched-off parts of the instruction tag were longer phrases.

If not, maybe you can scratch off the, um, scratch marks with something sharp from your inventory, in order to read the writing. No, the writing has been scratched away. Apparently, all we have to work from on the instruction tag is the legible words.

Would shooting the electric eye with something through the straw work? (If it won't, don't do it, but just asking) Probably not. We were able to shine a light beam on it, but that didn't do anything. Although - the iris glowed red afterwards. That might be important.

i called that phone num allegedly belonging to Brigette and got "All circuits are busy. Announcement 86119-2". Is this relevant? No, but what an idea! In actuality, I just picked a random phone number using all 10 digits.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12262
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now there's something. On the back of the instruction tag, there's more writing. It says, "Will only work twice per user."
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12370
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tired of sitting around thinking, you lie on the floor and take a nap. And you dream.

In this dream, you see a red beam of light hit the electric eye, and a voice saying "Do what the tag suggests."

Then you wake up.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1565
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turn on the light, and before it goes out, yell "Up" with the microphone facing away from your mouth.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12371
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turn on the light, and before it goes out, yell "Up" with the microphone facing away from your mouth. You flip the light on and quickly yell "Up!" into the back of the microphone. Nothing changes with the light - or the electric eye - but a pulley drops from the ceiling and lands in your hands. Huh.

Well, that's one use of the microphone...I guess...Maybe we'll figure out where to use it again later.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1566
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try yelling various directions into it, like "down", "left", "right". Since yelling "up" into the reversing microphone made something fall down, maybe something will rise up out of the floor when you say "down"?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12386
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try yelling various directions into it, like "down", "left", "right". Since yelling "up" into the reversing microphone made something fall down, maybe something will rise up out of the floor when you say "down"? Nothing happens. But a pulley - you yell "up" and get a pulley. Hmmm.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1567
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I get it now... but I can't think of anything else to say that works like that.

In any case, if the rope fits through the pulley, maybe that will help us do something with the rope that is right now wrapped around the crowbar.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12392
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I get it now... but I can't think of anything else to say that works like that. Maybe we'll find something later.

In any case, if the rope fits through the pulley, maybe that will help us do something with the rope that is right now wrapped around the crowbar. If you put the pulley on the rope (the pulley can be easily snapped apart and reassembled), it would slide down the rope to nowhere. That can't be it.

That bit about the electric eye - is there a way that we can turn the beam red? And there's those slots on either side of the eye...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12473
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Methinks an INVENTORY RECAP may be of aid, if anyone wants to jump in...

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
3D glasses
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Bic pen
Bike lock
Blue key
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
4 screws
Wrapped straw
Pulley


And I will say this: One of the items you have right now will get you past the electric eye.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2399
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohhhh....after staring at this for a couple of minutes, it finally dawned on me that half of the pair of 3D classes is red, right?

Hold the red part of the glasses over the eye. flick the light switch again.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12496
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohhhh....after staring at this for a couple of minutes, it finally dawned on me that half of the pair of 3D glasses is red, right? Right!

Hold the red part of the glasses over the eye. Better yet, you stick the arms of the glasses in the slots surrounding the light - the red lens is directly over the light! flick the light switch again. The beam comes out completely red and hits the eye. The eye closes, and the north door opens.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2400
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go through the door.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12501
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go through the door. You're now in some sort of utility room. Pipes are going through the walls, through the floor...all throughout the room. There's also a faucet on the wall to your left, with one of the pipes leading to it. Below the faucet is a drain.

In the center of the floor is a medium-sized panel with a handle. There is a funnel resting on it.

To the north is yet another door. Unfortunately, this one is missing a knob.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2401
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the funnel.

Is the handle one that pulls, or turns? If so, do whichever action with the handle that seems likely to open the panel.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12514
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the funnel. Done.

Is the handle one that pulls, or turns? It pulls. If so, do whichever action with the handle that seems likely to open the panel. You pull on the handle and swing the panel open, revealing a broken water pipe in the floor - the pipe has actually split in two. There are round hooks on both halves of the pipe, as well as on the underside of the panel cover.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12589
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I want to speed this along (see my newest puzzle), I'll tell you that you have the object you need to fix the pipe. And that you need to take a closer look at the box by the west door.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3333
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So take a very close look at the box by the west door.

"There's a hole in the pipe, dear Balin kitteh"
"with what shall I fix it, kaylee kitteh?"
"with a straw? iz hao teh song goez!"

Or a cheezburgur, if wun can be found...but no wants to waste cheezburgur by stuffing in that hole, I guess!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12592
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So take a very close look at the box by the west door. It's closed. There's no handle, and the door seems to be jammed shut. Maybe you could pry it open...?

"There's a hole in the pipe, dear Balin kitteh"
"with what shall I fix it, kaylee kitteh?"
"with a straw? iz hao teh song goez!" Actually, the pipe doesn't have a hole - it's split. However, if you could pull the two halves together somehow - maybe with those hooks - and hold them in place, the pipe would be whole.

Or a cheezburgur, if wun can be found...but no wants to waste cheezburgur by stuffing in that hole, I guess! noe cheezburgerz hear...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3338
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try prying the box (or did you mean the door?) open with the screwdriver? is there anything else that might work, if that doesn't?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1570
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can the coat hanger wire be used to join the hooks? or maybe even the hook of the coat hanger can be put through two of the hooks to hold them together?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12604
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try prying the box (or did you mean the door?) No, I meant the box open with the screwdriver? is there anything else that might work, if that doesn't? The screwdriver forces open the box. Inside the box (at its bottom), you see a complex locking system of wires and fuses. Above the locking system is a large absorbent layer of cotton. All of this is behind a layer of Plexiglass; however, there is a small hole in the Plexiglass at the top of the box.

Can the coat hanger wire be used to join the hooks? or maybe even the hook of the coat hanger can be put through two of the hooks to hold them together? No; as we've established a few times, the coat hanger will not bend.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1571
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about the leather belt? Can you tie it through the hooks and pull it tight?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12623
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about the leather belt? Can you tie it through the hooks and pull it tight? No, it's too wide. Something a little thinner and rounder would work, though.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2421
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the straw??
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12633
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the straw?? That won't hold together. You need something with a sort of locking mechanism...or maybe exactly that.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12680
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like "purchase timepiece"...
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2436
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha, bike lock?

I guess I'm having a really hard time visualizing what exactly we're trying to do at this stage. I don't know that I would have guessed bike lock in a million years without your clues.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12684
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha, bike lock? Yep - you twist the bike lock through the hooks and pull the pipe together. Now water should flow through it with ease.

I guess I'm having a really hard time visualizing what exactly we're trying to do at this stage. I don't know that I would have guessed bike lock in a million years without your clues. I guess it's because my descriptions don't really do justice to how I've imagined everything to look. It's hard for me to communicate my mental images of all the rooms.

If you ever need a clue, just ask, and I'll be happy to give it. In fact, I'll give one now: there's a reason the straw comes in its wrapper.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2439
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, I figured out my confusion. I was picturing a U-lock, but this lock is a cable lock, right? Doesn't really matter now, anyway.

Would you mind describing everything in the room you're in again?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12695
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, I figured out my confusion. I was picturing a U-lock, but this lock is a cable lock, right? Right. Doesn't really matter now, anyway.

Would you mind describing everything in the room you're in again? Repeating the original description, only updated:

You're in a utility room. Pipes are going through the walls, through the floor...all throughout the room. There's also a faucet on the wall to your left, with one of the pipes leading to it. Below the faucet is a drain.

In the center of the floor is a medium-sized panel with a handle. You opened the panel and fixed the pipe inside via the bike lock.

To the north is yet another door. Unfortunately, this one is missing a knob.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 624
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try turning on the faucet. I don't see anything in our inventory that could hold water right now, but we may need to come back to that later. Would it be possible to wad up the straw wrapper, push it into the funnel to stop it up, and collect water (or whatever liquid comes out of the faucet) that way? Or maybe use our finger to stop it up?

On the north door, is there a hole where the knob should be? Is the door hollow? Any chance there's something inside the door that we have to get out?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12759
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try turning on the faucet. Water pours out of the faucet and goes straight down the drain. I don't see anything in our inventory that could hold water right now, but we may need to come back to that later. Would it be possible to wad up the straw wrapper, push it into the funnel to stop it up, and collect water (or whatever liquid comes out of the faucet) that way? This sounds like it would work PERFECTLY...however, the wrapper wouldn't hold for very long. But still, this looks like the only possible way to collect water - where can we use it? And more importantly, where can we use it quickly? Or maybe use our finger to stop it up?

On the north door, is there a hole where the knob should be? Yes. Is the door hollow? No. And you bang on the door to check - it's solid. Any chance there's something inside the door that we have to get out? No.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1575
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about putting the stem of the funnel into the hole in the top of the plexiglass box? It seems that would soak the cotton, and maybe that will help us get into the box somehow.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12803
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about putting the stem of the funnel into the hole in the top of the plexiglass box? It seems that would soak the cotton, and maybe that will help us get into the box somehow. Good idea, but all the electrical stuff is below the cotton. If we could somehow get the water through the cotton, that might short out the lock on the door.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 627
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Biograd -- somehow I missed the plexi box. Guess I didn't see it in the description of the room or something...
Let's see, can the screwdriver or the pen reach through the hole to the cotton and move it out of the way? or can we use the straw to somehow make our way past the cotton layer? Unfortunately, I don't think our Amazing Unbendy Hanger will be of any help here (sad panda) ;-)
If one of those ideas works, go ahead and transfer the water as mentioned above, using the straw wrapper to stop it up until you can get it to the hole in the top of the plexi box.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12816
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Biograd -- somehow I missed the plexi box. Guess I didn't see it in the description of the room or something...
Let's see, can the screwdriver or the pen reach through the hole to the cotton and move it out of the way? No, but... or can we use the straw to somehow make our way past the cotton layer? This will do! Unfortunately, I don't think our Amazing Unbendy Hanger will be of any help here (sad panda) ;-) And it won't...
If one of those ideas works, go ahead and transfer the water as mentioned above, using the straw wrapper to stop it up until you can get it to the hole in the top of the plexi box. You plug up the funnel with the straw wrapper and attach the straw to the end. You fill the funnel with water from the faucet, then hurry back to the plexi-box and stick the straw through the hole. In a very short time, the straw wrapper dissolves; the water slips through the straw, bypassing the cotton, and shorts out the box. The door in front of you swings open.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2470
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go through the door and describe what you see.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3402
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go through the door! :-) Please?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12826
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go through the door and describe what you see.

Go through the door! :-) Please? I guess it's unanimous - you go through the door.

You find yourself in a large, grassy room - still underground though, since there is a solid-looking dirt ceiling that is many feet above your head. In front of you, you see nine doorways, each with a digit from 1 through 9 in front of it. On the floor at your feet is a brass doorknob.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3404
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pick up the doorknob and look at it. Or is the knob to a trapdoor in the floor? (Although it seems to me it may be the missing doorknob from before).

Once you've done that, please examine the 1-9 doors more closely. Is there anything else remarkable about them?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12827
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pick up the doorknob and look at it. It's a doorknob. Or is the knob to a trapdoor in the floor? No. (Although it seems to me it may be the missing doorknob from before). Sounds good to me...

Once you've done that, please examine the 1-9 doors more closely. Doorways, not doors. Is there anything else remarkable about them? Not really. You peek through one of them - there's a short dark hallway that leads into another grassy room, exactly the same as the first (minus the doorknob on the floor). The door behind you, by the way, is marked with an X - this'll keep you from getting lost.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3407
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stand corrected about the doorways. My apologies.

Sounds like someone used "Flagrate" on the door, btw. *grin*

Check this other grassy room out, if there's nothing else to find in the one you're in. Be sure to remember the way you came...don't want any getting lost.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12832
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like someone used "Flagrate" on the door, btw. *grin* Perhaps. And that one's my error - that's a doorway, not a door. The numbers and X's are all written above the doorways.

Check this other grassy room out, if there's nothing else to find in the one you're in. Nothing - it looks the same as the other one. Be sure to remember the way you came...don't want any getting lost. The X is above that doorway too. It appears we'll have to take a certain sequence of rooms, but you don't know that sequence now, so you head back out to the main room, where you've recently shorted out the electrical box.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2472
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do we still have a door missing a doorknob? If so, put the doorknob on it. Open it, and go through.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12838
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do we still have a door missing a doorknob? Yeah, the one in the utility room to the north. If so, put the doorknob on it. Perfect fit. Open it, and go through. You head through the door into the next room. It's a small room with a door in front of you and a large upright piano to your right. There's an envelope on the piano's music stand, and the piano keys are covered by the lid, which has been nailed shut.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2473
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the envelope and describe the contents.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12844
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the envelope and describe the contents. It's another note from Brigitte.

If you've come this far, you're doing well. I just wanted to let you know a couple things. First, they've taken my father Tony prisoner. You may be able to free him. And one of the black keys on the piano is loose.

Good luck.

-B


And there's another quarter in here, dated 1973.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2475
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go touch all of the black keys on the piano to figure out which one is loose. Pull on it to see if you can remove it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12845
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go touch all of the black keys on the piano to figure out which one is loose. Pull on it to see if you can remove it. You can't do that, since the lid is covering the keys, and is nailed shut.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1576
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But you have a crowbar--though the descriptions are confusing enough that I don't know if the door being held open by the crowbar-weight is itself between you and the crowbar. If it isn't, we can borrow the crowbar to pry open the piano, and then tie it back on the rope if we ever need to open that other door again.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12883
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But you have a crowbar--though the descriptions are confusing enough that I don't know if the door being held open by the crowbar-weight is itself between you and the crowbar. If it isn't, we can borrow the crowbar to pry open the piano, and then tie it back on the rope if we ever need to open that other door again. We lost the crowbar because it was holding the south door open. But now that there's spikes in that doorway, the crowbar won't matter for that, so if we could retrieve it...

You beat a hasty retreat to the box by the south wall, only to see that the rope has apparently snapped, and the crowbar has fallen into the depths of who-knows-where; you can't even see it. Oh well.

HINT: The quarter.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3448
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

inventory recat plz balin kitteh?

hrm, quarturz, iz hintin that we shuld bee findin dem? we losted mai puzzel sumwerez...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12888
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

inventory recat plz balin kitteh? Shur...

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
"THIS WAY" sign
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Bic pen
Blue key
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
4 screws
Pulley
Brigitte's third note
1973 quarter


hrm, quarturz, iz hintin that we shuld bee findin dem? we losted mai puzzel sumwerez... There will be more later, yes. But focus on each one at a time - remember what the 1980 one was used for, and think about what the 1973 one might be needed for.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1577
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could walk through the numbered doorways in the order 1-9-7-3, but I don't know what you'd need to DO in each of those other rooms, and otherwise we'd just be going in and out. But actually, if those are exact copies of the current room, they should also have nine numbered doorways of their own!

So let's try that. Go through doorway #1, then find doorway #9 in the next room and go through it, then go through door #7 in that room, and finally #3 in the last. Hopefully there's something useful on the floor of the final room.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12897
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could walk through the numbered doorways in the order 1-9-7-3, but I don't know what you'd need to DO in each of those other rooms, and otherwise we'd just be going in and out. But actually, if those are exact copies of the current room, they should also have nine numbered doorways of their own! As it turns out...this is exactly the case!

So let's try that. Go through doorway #1, then find doorway #9 in the next room and go through it, then go through door #7 in that room, and finally #3 in the last. Hopefully there's something useful on the floor of the final room. You pass through those doors in order, and come to a slightly different room. This room only has two doorways (not counting the one in back). There might be a sign above each, but you can't tell, as there are vines covering the wall where the sign would be.

There's also a very large and very conspicuous tree stump off to the side.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3459
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the tree stump more closely. How large is it? Can you tell what sort of tree it was from? Is there anything attached to it (such as a trapdoor handle, metal bands around the trunk, etc.) or anything odd carved in it? Anything else unusual?

Then, examine the vines. Is there anything odd or otherwise particularly notable about them?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12907
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the tree stump more closely. How large is it? Can you tell what sort of tree it was from? Is there anything attached to it (such as a trapdoor handle, metal bands around the trunk, etc.) or anything odd carved in it? Anything else unusual? On the top edge of the stump is a small slot. That trapdoor idea sounds pretty good right now...if you could only pry open the trunk. But you can do that, can't you?

Then, examine the vines. Is there anything odd or otherwise particularly notable about them? No. You try moving them aside to read the signs, but they're too tangled to just brush away.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12908
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and the stump is fairly large. About three feet high and four feet wide.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3463
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the garden shears to cut up the tangled vines.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12915
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the garden shears to cut up the tangled vines. You cut away the vines and they fall to the ground. You can now see that the "signs" are carved into the wall - the one over the left door reads "SAFE," while the one on the right says "TRAP." Both "signs" are lightly scratched into concrete set over the door - interestingly, the concrete which reads "TRAP" has four holes in it, one at each corner of the sign-sized slab.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 628
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See if you can use the screwdriver to remove the "TRAP" sign (if there are any screws in those holes). Or try screwing it in with the screws we have in inventory if it doesn't.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12929
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See if you can use the screwdriver to remove the "TRAP" sign (if there are any screws in those holes). Or try screwing it in with the screws we have in inventory if it doesn't. There are no screws in the holes, and the "TRAP" is set into the wall. However, we still have a sign, and could theoretically screw our sign in over the "TRAP."

By the way, you have to get pretty close up to read the signs ("SAFE" and "TRAP").
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 629
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had thought of that, but thought we might be collecting signs like quarters :-)

So there are no holes in the "SAFE" sign? All right, try screwing the "THIS WAY" sign up over the "TRAP" sign, and see if anything happens.

How big is the slot in the trunk? Is there any peculiarity to the shape of it, or is it just a normal looking slot? Can you see anything in the slot? For example, is there a place where the hook-y part of the Amazing Unbendy Hanger could grab on to and we could pull the trunk up?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12934
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had thought of that, but thought we might be collecting signs like quarters :-)

So there are no holes in the "SAFE" sign? Correct. All right, try screwing the "THIS WAY" sign up over the "TRAP" sign, and see if anything happens. Nothing right at the moment. However, anyone walking in will probably think that the "TRAP" doorway is really the safe one.

How big is the slot in the trunk? A couple inches wide. Is there any peculiarity to the shape of it, or is it just a normal looking slot? Normal. Can you see anything in the slot? Nope. For example, is there a place where the hook-y part of the Amazing Unbendy Hanger could grab on to and we could pull the trunk up? No - the hanger is too thick. We'd need something like a mini-crowbar - but we have something like that, don't we?

By the way, the "SAFE" and "TRAP" (which is now covered) slabs are over doorways, not doors. (My bad.) They're practically begging to be explored...or at least, one is.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2488
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mini-crowbar = screwdriver? Use that in the trunk slot.

Hmm, I'm inclined to head through the SAFE doorway. Someone else might thing THIS WAY is the way to go, but we're the ones who put the sign there, so we probably ought to avoid that one for now.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12941
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mini-crowbar = screwdriver? Use that in the trunk slot. You use the screwdriver to pop open the trunk - the trunk is completely hollow, and you could fit inside. Lying at the bottom of the trunk is a five-dollar bill, which you pocket.

Hmm, I'm inclined to head through the SAFE doorway. Someone else might thing THIS WAY is the way to go, but we're the ones who put the sign there, so we probably ought to avoid that one for now. You step through the "SAFE" doorway and see a CD player sitting on a marble pedestal. There are no other doorways in this room, although there's a conspicuous painting of a guy riding a zip line on the back wall.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1593
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well now we can activate the bracket if necessary

Does the CD player have power? If you can open the tray/compartment, check to see if there's a CD inside.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2490
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, can you remove the painting from the wall? If so, is there anything behind it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12954
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well now we can activate the bracket if necessary Good thought.

Does the CD player have power? No - it's not plugged in, and there's no outlet anywhere. If you can open the tray/compartment, check to see if there's a CD inside. You open the CD compartment - it's empty. You close it again, then pick up the CD player and add it to your backpack. Suddenly...

Also, can you remove the painting from the wall? If so, is there anything behind it? ...the painting swings open, revealing a television screen. The screen flickers on, revealing a large...well, it looks like a man. His face is covered, and he's holding - menacingly - a very large claw hammer. He looks directly at you and speaks:

"1973, right? I'm on my way - there's no way out from this one!"

The screen flickers off. Suddenly, two things happen at once:

-You hear a crashing, growing ever louder, coming from the doorways behind you.
-The walls of this room begin to move together - possibly squishing you in between!

You dart out of the room, back into the one with the stump. You hear that crashing getting louder - what are you going to do?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2492
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said we can fit inside the trunk stump? Climb in, and hide!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12958
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said we can fit inside the trunk stump? Climb in, and hide! You hop into the stump and close the top behind you. There's a knothole inside the trunk so you can see out.

In just a few seconds, Hammer Dude comes crashing into the room. He glances around and, seeing the two signs, falls for your trick and heads into the "TRAP" room. Just a split second later, you hear a piercing scream which soon fades. Then all is quiet.

After a minute of silence, you head out of the trunk. Is it safe to check out what happened?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3466
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a peek through the doorway, and see what you can see without entering the room, just in case.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12967
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a peek through the doorway, and see what you can see without entering the room, just in case. You see...well, no floor. Or almost no floor - there's a short ledge, and then a massive pit. The big hammer is resting on the ledge, and the man must be in the pit...but you can't see; it's far too deep.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3471
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a bridge to the other side? *warily looks around for any lurking creatures of flame and shadow, wingless or not*
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12977
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a bridge to the other side? *warily looks around for any lurking creatures of flame and shadow, wingless or not* No. But the ledge - and hammer - are on your side, near the doorway. You can walk over and grab it.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3472
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then do so. *Carefully*. (And hope no Balrogs show up)
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12980
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then do so. *Carefully*. (And hope no Balrogs show up) You carefully shimmy down the ledge and pick up the hammer. No danger here, so you head back off the ledge and out through the doorway.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3474
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay...so now where are we? Describe what's around, please (sorry if this is repetitive, I'm just not sure where we ought to go next...if there's a possibility of getting a recap on what we've found out, I'd be appreciative of it, lol)
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12984
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay...so now where are we? Describe what's around, please (sorry if this is repetitive, I'm just not sure where we ought to go next...if there's a possibility of getting a recap on what we've found out, I'd be appreciative of it, lol)

There's nothing left to do in this "hedge maze" of doorways, so you head out back to the main room, then sit and think.

-In the center of this room is that weird "reversing microphone." We've apparently got only one more use for it, but don't know what that is.
-To the west is the maze of numbered doors. You're finished with that. The one odd thing is that the painting covering the screen was of a guy riding a zip line - that seemed like a non sequitur.
-To the south is that dim room with the monk paintings going all the way around the room. That room is now blocked off by large metal bars.
-To the east is a door with a four-digit lock.
-On the north wall, to the right of the doorway, is the five-dollar bracket board.
-To the north is the utility room with the faucet.
-To the north of that is the piano room. The piano's lid is nailed shut, and Brigitte's third note told us that one of the black keys is loose.

INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
File
Broken padlock
Screwdriver
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Coat hanger
Backpack
Stepladder
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Bic pen
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
Pulley
Brigitte's third note
1973 quarter
$5 bill
CD player
Large claw hammer
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3477
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*thinking ahead* You don't think you might possibly have to rig up a zip line for something or other? There's a pulley, and the vines you cut away might be strong enough to hold you, if you can get them. I don't know what it'd be good for, but just a thought.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12987
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*thinking ahead* You don't think you might possibly have to rig up a zip line for something or other? There's a pulley, and the vines you cut away might be strong enough to hold you, if you can get them. I don't know what it'd be good for, but just a thought. Not the vines, but that's a good idea...

*Host's note: HOLD THIS THOUGHT FOR LATER. Much later. -Balin
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1594
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put the $5 into the bracket box to activate it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12993
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put the $5 into the bracket box to activate it. You slip the bill into the slot. The LCD screen blinks, then reads "PUSH PLACARD TO SELECT WINNER." Ummm...who should we select as winner?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1595
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and another "forward thought"--maybe you can hang from the indestructible coat hanger when using the pulley...
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2493
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see from the earlier post that the bracket board has teams 0-9, teams A-D, Team Edward, and Team Jacob, if that helps anyone who might have a clue who to select.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12996
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and another "forward thought"--maybe you can hang from the indestructible coat hanger when using the pulley... Ooh, now that's a good idea. And the pulley has a hole in it...that the coat hanger's hook fits in exactly!

I see from the earlier post that the bracket board has teams 0-9, teams A-D, Team Edward, and Team Jacob, if that helps anyone who might have a clue who to select. That's correct. However, we'll probably get some clue as to who to pick later; right now, we should figure out how to free the piano.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3478
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still prefer Team Thranduil. Use the claw hammer to pull the nails out, please.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13000
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the claw hammer to pull the nails out, please. You pry out the nails with the hammer and drop them - they're fairly large and thick - into your backpack. Now the piano lid is free.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2494
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, now try to find which black key is loose. What happens when you press it? Can you remove it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13003
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, now try to find which black key is loose. You lift the lid and it's immediately obvious - one of the high F-sharps is sticking up a bit. What happens when you press it? Nothing - it won't press. Can you remove it? You can and do, revealing a small green switch. You drop the black piano key into your backpack.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3479
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flip the switch. What happens?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13007
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flip the switch. What happens? The door in front of you opens.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3480
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look through the doorway and describe what you see. If it looks safe, go through.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13014
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look through the doorway and describe what you see. If it looks safe, go through. You pass into the next room, which is bare except for two people blocking the door. The first is a girl in her early teens, sobbing. The second is an impish-looking dwarf wearing an elf costume.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1599
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe she has just watched some Twilight :-)

Ask the dwarf who he is and why he is here.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13025
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe she has just watched some Twilight :-) **WIN**

Ask the dwarf who he is and why he is here. The dwarf, holding a pad, motions for a writing utensil. He also taps his mouth and shakes his head.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2502
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give him the pen
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13035
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give him the pen You do so. The dwarf scribbles some words on the pad and shows it to you:

I'm mute. She's deaf. She's sad because no one's ever told her "I love you" before. And she only speaks Latin.

OK, maybe we'd better help her out.

***Side note: Your puzzle host speaks Latin (though not fluently).
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2506
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing we have to write down "I love you" in Latin, since there's no such thing as Latin Sign Language.

Can we right it with the pen? Or do we have to spell it out with some of the letters we have?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 633
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm... Unless I miss my guess (and it's entirely possible), Latin for "I love you" is "Te amo," yes? We don't appear to have an E in our letters, so try writing it down.

Show it to the dwarf (in case he needs to be the one to tell her), and if that doesn't work, try showing it to her.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13050
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing we have to write down "I love you" in Latin, since there's no such thing as Latin Sign Language. Something like this.

Can we right it with the pen? The dwarf has become rather possessive of the pen, and won't give it back. Or do we have to spell it out with some of the letters we have? Good thought - let's try this.

Hrm... Unless I miss my guess (and it's entirely possible), Latin for "I love you" is "Te amo," yes? We don't appear to have an E in our letters, so try writing it down. The translation is correct, but we have no pen.

Show it to the dwarf (in case he needs to be the one to tell her), and if that doesn't work, try showing it to her. You try using the T-A-M-O and tilting the W on its side to make the E. Nothing changes. The dwarf writes something more down: "She can't read writing that large. And it has to be you who tells her - she won't pay attention to me."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3490
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the dwarf if you can have the pen and paper, then if he gives it to you, write "Te amo" down.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13055
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the dwarf if you can have the pen and paper, then if he gives it to you, write "Te amo" down. He shakes his head and scrawls something down. "No."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3491
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then tell him to write 'Te amo', since he's not being so good as to give us the pen. *is cross with dwarf*
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2507
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What if we take the letters for "Te amo" out of one of Birgitte's notes? Tear them out - carefully! (I can't seem to find the text of any of the notes above, but those are all very common letters so they should be easy to find.)
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1601
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or maybe show her the phrase "Team 0" on the placard? Maybe you can put something between the E and the A to make her get how she needs to read it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13063
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then tell him to write 'Te amo', since he's not being so good as to give us the pen. *is cross with dwarf* He writes something down and shows it to you. "I'm deaf too. Did I not mention that? Sorry."

What if we take the letters for "Te amo" out of one of Birgitte's notes? Tear them out - carefully! (I can't seem to find the text of any of the notes above, but those are all very common letters so they should be easy to find.) Let's not - that seems a bit complicated.

Or maybe show her the phrase "Team 0" on the placard? Maybe you can put something between the E and the A to make her get how she needs to read it? Now there's an idea! But how can we get that placard?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2510
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps we need to select a team so that the tourney starts, and then we'll be able to remove the placard when Team 0 loses?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13081
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps we need to select a team so that the tourney starts, and then we'll be able to remove the placard when Team 0 loses? Or maybe we can remove it if they win...
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 635
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice catch, Biograd!

Well then, I guess the thing to do would be to go back to the bracket room and select Team 0 as our winner. Are we going to have to do anything to make the "games" happen, or will it just go through the tournament automatically?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13088
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well then, I guess the thing to do would be to go back to the bracket room and select Team 0 as our winner. Are we going to have to do anything to make the "games" happen, or will it just go through the tournament automatically? Let's find out...

You press the Team 0 placard on the bracket board. The board moves each team's placard through the bracket, only stopping when it loses. After the final game, Team 0 "wins," and its placard drops off the board entirely, landing on the floor.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 636
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the room where the deaf girl is and show her the placard.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13095
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the room where the deaf girl is and show her the placard. You hand her the "Team 0" placard. She immediately brightens up and gives you an enormous hug, surprising you for a moment, before she heads over to the corner of the room, grinning. The dwarf winks at you and moves aside as well. The way forward is clear!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3494
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allons-y!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13097
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allons-y! You allons-y forward into the next room.

This room is...very island-ish. The path from this doorway to the next is sandy, and water lines both sides of the path. A Hawaiian-looking man in a floral shirt stands next to the door. To his left (your right), still on the sand, is a robot - wearing a grass skirt, no less - doing the hula.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3497
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any pineapples?

How old would you say the man is, approximately?

Is the floral shirt all he's wearing? o.O

Ask the man his name, what he's doing here, and if you can help him with anything. Ask him about the robot. Oh, and ask him if he has pineapples. Or a lovely bunch of coconuts.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13110
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any pineapples? No

How old would you say the man is, approximately? Mid-forties.

Is the floral shirt all he's wearing? o.O No, thankfully. He's wearing a blue swimsuit as well.

Ask the man his name, what he's doing here, and if you can help him with anything. He looks at you. "I need papayas. Please get me papayas." Ask him about the robot. "It's ANNOYING me, that's what!" Oh, and ask him if he has pineapples. Or a lovely bunch of coconuts. "No. But I need papayas."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3499
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where can you get papayas from?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13116
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where can you get papayas from? From somewhere around here. I'll give a HINT:

You get papayas from the very first room (the one with doors to all sides).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3500
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then go back to the room with doors to all sides, and take a look around, please.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2516
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before heading back to the first room, see if you can talk to the robot. If so, ask it what it 's doing and what it wants. Inspect it and note any additional details (does it look like there are any switches, buttons, hidden compartments, etc).

Then head to the first room as Kaylee says.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 637
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Copied from above
You plop down on the ground and look around. There are doors on all four walls. On the wall in front of you, the north wall, there is a sort of electric "eye" to the left of the door. To the door's right is what appears to be a bracket board.

You turn right. To the right of that door is a light switch.

You turn right again. To the right of this door is some sort of box - perhaps a circuit box? It has a metal door on it, but the door is held shut with four flathead screws. Between the circuit box and the door is some small round glass...thing, like a panel set into the well. There are two small vertical slots on either side of it.

You turn right one more time. To the right of this door is yet another circuit box, but its door has no handle.

In the center of the room is a microphone on a stand. There's a large instruction tag hanging from it.


Well, from my estimation, I think we have to find the second use of the microphone. Maybe we should try yelling "papaya" into the back of the mic?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1614
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it's a reversing microphone. So be should say "apap" into it, because to yell "up" got us a pulley.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 639
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ugh... ::facepalms at self's idjit state:: Biograd, you're applying logic again... that's not fair ;-)
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13127
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before heading back to the first room, see if you can talk to the robot. If so, ask it what it 's doing and what it wants. Inspect it and note any additional details (does it look like there are any switches, buttons, hidden compartments, etc). It's a life-size metal robot, wearing a grass hula skirt and - slight gag - a coconut bra. Which just looks creepy on the robot. And it's doing the hula over and over.

But before this odd sight causes you to turn away, you notice that there is something bronze in one of its hands. But you can't see what it is, or take it away, as there's no buttons or switches.


Then head to the first room as Kaylee says. You saunter back.

Well, from my estimation, I think we have to find the second use of the microphone. Maybe we should try yelling "papaya" into the back of the mic? That doesn't work, but...

But it's a reversing microphone. So be should say "apap" into it, because to yell "up" got us a pulley. ...this does, and two papayas drop from the ceiling into your hands. As you watch, the microphone twists itself into a knot - you ain't using it again.

ugh... ::facepalms at self's idjit state:: Biograd, you're applying logic again... that's not fair ;-) Oh, but it is, it is. =)
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 641
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the island room and give the man the papayas.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13134
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the island room and give the man the papayas. You hand them over. The man thanks you and, without warning, hurls one at the hula-bot, knocking it into the water, which sizzles with electricity.

You're a bit shocked, but the man just nods in satisfaction. "That was annoying me for the longest time. And now I have lunch too!" He sits down.

You turn back to the water, which is still electrified. Suddenly, something floats to the top and rests against the sand where you are - it's the grass skirt. And that shiny bronze thing is glinting from inside it!
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 643
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get them, or would that involve touching the electrified water? If it would electrocute you, try using the hammer (assuming it has a nonconductive handle) to pull them toward you and out of the water. Check out the skirt, and find out what that shiny thing is (ooh... shiny!).
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13141
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get them, or would that involve touching the electrified water? It's touching enough of the beach that you can safely grab it. If it would electrocute you, try using the hammer (assuming it has a nonconductive handle) to pull them toward you and out of the water. Check out the skirt, and find out what that shiny thing is (ooh... shiny!). You take the grass skirt. It's pretty large, but you're not gonna go trying it on.

You pick up the shiny thing - it's a bronze key.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1617
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a hole for it in the door at the other end of the path?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1618
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or rather, the description says "doorWAY". So I guess we just go through it and save the key for later.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13157
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a hole for it in the door at the other end of the path? Yes.

Or rather, the description says "doorWAY". So I guess we just go through it and save the key for later. No, this one does have a door, and the bronze key fits in it.

You head forward again. This room is very decorative, with several bushes lining the walls. There's a steel door in front of you, with a small trickle of water running under it. Next to the door is a man wearing a prison guard outfit.

On the right wall is a prison cell door. There's a peephole in it, as well as a slot in the door that's apparently used for food. It's about six inches high and a bit over a foot wide.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2520
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the peephole. What do you see?

Talk to the prison guard.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13229
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the peephole. What do you see? You see a cell, with stone walls left and right and a barred back wall. There's a bearded man sitting there.

He somehow senses your presence, as he looks directly toward you - toward the peephole, at least, and makes hand motions as if he's holding a hammer and chisel. Does he want something from you?


Talk to the prison guard. You do so. "That worthless piece of scum in there - I can hear everything he says, so he's given up talking. Good for him! I also inspect everything that is going to him, through that cell door slot, so everything has to come by me."
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 646
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check behind/in the bushes. Anything there?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13233
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check behind/in the bushes. Anything there? Not at first glance. The bushes are pretty thick too.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2524
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have garden shears. Do the bushes need trimmed? If so, trim them. Can you see anything there now?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13238
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have garden shears. Do the bushes need trimmed? No; they're all clean-cut. If so, trim them. Can you see anything there now? Not yet. Maybe we should figure out what the prisoner wants.

You hear the guard say something: "By the way, if you want to pass...this is prison. You need a paddle to go up the river." Um, since when does a trickle count as a river?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2525
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the prisoner what he wants (not likely to get an answer if he has given up talking, but it can't hurt to try). Look through the peep hole while you ask, in case he gestures to you.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13239
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the prisoner what he wants (not likely to get an answer if he has given up talking, but it can't hurt to try). Look through the peep hole while you ask, in case he gestures to you. You do so. He again makes motions of using a hammer and chisel.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 648
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out your hammer and file. Keep them out of line of sight of the guard, and show them to the prisoner (if he can see them -- I don't actually think he could unless we open that slot thing). The only thing I can think of is baking them into a cake, and I don't think that's going to work...

I don't suppose we can use our torch as a kind of paddle? Look at the steel door and at the "river" -- anything interesting?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13246
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out your hammer and file. Keep them out of line of sight of the guard, and show them to the prisoner (if he can see them -- I don't actually think he could unless we open that slot thing). You try slipping the hammer and file through the slot, but the guard stops you. He holds out his hands and you reluctantly drop both items into them. He looks at the hammer and nods, saying, "Not like he'll be able to do anything with this. Maybe he'll do us all a favor and bash his own head in." The guard drops the hammer into the cell, before looking at the file. He shakes his head and hands it back to you. "He could file the bars away! What are you thinking?"

Re-examining the file, you realize that its rounded front edge wouldn't work as a good makeshift chisel. But do you have something else that would?


The only thing I can think of is baking them into a cake, and I don't think that's going to work... Well, there's no cake here.

I don't suppose we can use our torch as a kind of paddle? Nope. Look at the steel door and at the "river" -- anything interesting? Nope.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3551
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Screwdriver?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1622
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you could hide some tool (like the screwdriver) in the CD compartment of the player, and then drop the player through the slot, if it fits through?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13252
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Screwdriver? You pass the screwdriver to the guard, who inspects it and slips it through the door. "Not like he can break out with that thing anyway. Cat-nap time."

Maybe you could hide some tool (like the screwdriver) in the CD compartment of the player, and then drop the player through the slot, if it fits through? It wouldn't fit, but no need.

The guard drops down in the corner for a quick snooze. You hear some loud clinks, cracks, and crumbles from the cell, but the guard doesn't wake up - he's out cold. After a few minutes, a large stone tablet slides out the slot in the door and hits the floor hard. The shock jars the guard awake, but he doesn't notice the tablet.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3557
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the tablet.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13259
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the tablet. You pick up the heavy tablet. There's writing chiseled into it:

I don't know who you are, but I know that if you've come this far, you must be, as I've heard it, "on the side of the angels" in this matter. You don't know my daughter, Brigitte, but she knows who you are. And we're trying to help, but they somehow knew and put me in prison to threaten her.

Before I was caught, I found one thing that could help you. I will give it to you if you can help me get out of here.

-Tony

Oh, by the way, Brigitte left you something deep in the bush nearest this cell door. I saw her leave it there.


INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
File
Broken padlock
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Backpack
Stepladder
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
Brigitte's third note
1973 quarter
CD player
Zip-line handhold (pulley/coat hanger)
Several large nails
Black piano key
Grass skirt
Stone tablet
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1625
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the bush nearest the cell door, using the garden shears to trim the branches back if necessary.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13260
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the bush nearest the cell door, using the garden shears to trim the branches back if necessary. You hack at the bush with the shears and eventually uncover another envelope here, which you open. Again, there's a letter:

I'm sure you know by now - this is my dad. I know you'll be able to free him.

Just an advance warning - when you get back to the yard, there'll be a robotic guard waiting for you. It locks onto heat, so be careful. And its weak spot is the power pack on its back.

Also, if you're reading this, know that you need to go through a door you've seen several times, but have not been through.

As always, good luck.

-B


And again, there's a quarter in the envelope, this one dated 2004.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1626
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, unless there's a combination lock on the cell door, I'd guess that we have to go back to the maze of numbered doors and this time go through in the order 2-0-0-4. That would explain the needing to go through a "door you've seen several times, but have not been through". If there in fact IS a combination lock, I'd guess that the latter phrase refers to the "monk room" door, since something tells me we are not done in there, as we didn't make use of anything but the straw on the floor.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13269
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, unless there's a combination lock on the cell door, I'd guess that we have to go back to the maze of numbered doors and this time go through in the order 2-0-0-4. That wouldn't be possible, as there were no zeroes in the numbered maze. That would explain the needing to go through a "door you've seen several times, but have not been through". If there in fact IS a combination lock, I'd guess that the latter phrase refers to the "monk room" door, since something tells me we are not done in there, as we didn't make use of anything but the straw on the floor. Well, there was one more door in the very first room you've been in below. And didn't it have a combination lock on it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13271
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, unless there's a combination lock on the cell door, I'd guess that we have to go back to the maze of numbered doors and this time go through in the order 2-0-0-4. That wouldn't be possible, as there were no zeroes in the numbered maze. That would explain the needing to go through a "door you've seen several times, but have not been through". If there in fact IS a combination lock, I'd guess that the latter phrase refers to the "monk room" door, since something tells me we are not done in there, as we didn't make use of anything but the straw on the floor. Well, there was one more door in the very first room you've been in below. And didn't it have a combination lock on it?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 654
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was going to suggest that before I read your post, Balin (sad panda). Go back and enter 2-0-0-4 in the combo lock, and head through the door.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13288
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was going to suggest that before I read your post, Balin (sad panda). *pets panda, turns it into happy panda* Go back and enter 2-0-0-4 in the combo lock, and head through the door. The combination lock pops open and the door opens. You step inside.

This room is odd. It's an old bedroom, but there are no sheets, blankets, or pillows on the mattress. It's just a bare mattress.

There's also a poster tacked onto the wall. It looks like a poster of a band with five guys in it.

Next to the bed is a nightstand with a slice of cake on it. Behind the nightstand is a power outlet.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2543
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything under the mattress? Under the bed?

Can you describe the guys in the band on the poster in more detail? Can the poster be removed? Is anything behind it?

Is anything plugged into the power outlet?

Is there anything unusual looking about the cake?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 656
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the cake a lie? -- sorry, had to do it...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3575
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the cake is a lie, maybe there can be a cheezburgur which is true? *hopeful*
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1629
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the CD player battery operated, or does it need to be plugged into an outlet? If it has a plug, try plugging it in here.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13293
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything under the mattress? Under the bed? No.

Can you describe the guys in the band on the poster in more detail? You would, except their faces have been blurred. Can the poster be removed? Yes, and you take it. Is anything behind it? No.

Is anything plugged into the power outlet? No.

Is there anything unusual looking about the cake? No. In case you're wondering, it's chocolate.

Is the cake a lie? -- sorry, had to do it... I never have understood that meme...

if the cake is a lie, maybe there can be a cheezburgur which is true? *hopeful* No cheezburgerz here.


Is the CD player battery operated, or does it need to be plugged into an outlet? If it has a plug, try plugging it in here. It needs to be plugged in, so you do so here, sitting the CD player itself on the nightstand.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 658
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's based on Portal (the video game). Basically you're going through level after level with this computer talking to you. She promises you that at the end of the "test," there is cake waiting for you. In later levels, as it becomes more and more clear that everything is not as it should be, and that the computer might be crazy or at the very least out to get you, there are areas with graffiti on the walls that say (among other things), "The cake is a lie." Cue meme groupies. (Also, right before the credits roll at the end of the game, there's a shot of a room with a piece of cake, and a robotic arm like the one the computer has comes down and snuffs out the candle on it.)

I can't remember if there's anything in the CD player, but try pressing play anyway.

Also, can we use the garden shears to cut into the mattress and see if there's anything inside?
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 718
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, OMG was this a lot of reading to catch up to where we are. Also, this Brigitte dame seems of only marginal helpfulness. Are we sure she's not some evil genius using us as the white mouse in her torture maze for some nefarious psych study? Just saying...

Is there anything on the back of the poster?
Anything relevant about what the guys are wearing?

Is the cake frosted?
Do we care?
Is there a sensible way to take the cake with us?
(Not sensible being to toss it into our backpack so all future inventory lists with describe every single item as "smeared with cake frosting" or "coated with crumbs".)

Random question - the "top" we have in our inventory - spinning child's toy?
A shirt?

Does the nightstand match the bed?
Is this relevant?

Most nightstands have drawers. Does this one?
Open them (it). Anything in there?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 660
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG -- Brigitte is GLaDOS (the computer from Portal)!!! The cake really is a lie!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13299
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's based on Portal (the video game). Basically you're going through level after level with this computer talking to you. She promises you that at the end of the "test," there is cake waiting for you. In later levels, as it becomes more and more clear that everything is not as it should be, and that the computer might be crazy or at the very least out to get you, there are areas with graffiti on the walls that say (among other things), "The cake is a lie." Cue meme groupies. (Also, right before the credits roll at the end of the game, there's a shot of a room with a piece of cake, and a robotic arm like the one the computer has comes down and snuffs out the candle on it.) Ah, it all makes sense now. Cool.

I can't remember if there's anything in the CD player, but try pressing play anyway. You do. Nothing plays, as there's no CD in there.

Also, can we use the garden shears to cut into the mattress and see if there's anything inside? You find heavy thick padding and heavy thick springs. Apparently, this is just a mattress.

First of all, OMG was this a lot of reading to catch up to where we are. Also, this Brigitte dame seems of only marginal helpfulness. Are we sure she's not some evil genius using us as the white mouse in her torture maze for some nefarious psych study? Just saying... What other choice do we have? It's not like we can do anything else right now but trust her. It seems like she's helping us get through where we need it most.

Is there anything on the back of the poster? No
Anything relevant about what the guys are wearing? No, though they are dressed. Just to prevent that question.

Is the cake frosted? No.
Do we care? Not really.
Is there a sensible way to take the cake with us?
(Not sensible being to toss it into our backpack so all future inventory lists with describe every single item as "smeared with cake frosting" or "coated with crumbs".) You can hold it in your hands. And touché.

Random question - the "top" we have in our inventory - spinning child's toy? Yes. We first got it in Part 2 of this adventure - it's like the top from Inception.
A shirt?

Does the nightstand match the bed? Yes.
Is this relevant? No.

Most nightstands have drawers. Does this one? Oddly, it does not.
Open them (it). Anything in there?

OMG -- Brigitte is GLaDOS (the computer from Portal)!!! The cake really is a lie! No conclusion-jumping allowed. And remember, I had no knowledge of Portal or GLaDOS before about three posts ago.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1631
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under the mattress, the nightstand, etc., to see if there is anything hidden (such as a CD). If you have looked under everything that can be lifted, and found nothing, take the cake back to Tony and offer it to him through the slot.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 726
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, why are we giving the cake to Tony?

If Tony doesn't want it, can we use to the bribe the guard to free him?

After all it's yummy, dark, rich, delicious chocolate cake and it might not even be poisoned or drugged! What more could he want?
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 732
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixnay on my previous "Why are we giving the cake to Tony?

Can we hide the file in the cake?

Of course, then we'd still have to get rid of the guard. And there's that bit about needing a paddle...or something.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13306
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under the mattress, the nightstand, etc., to see if there is anything hidden (such as a CD). If you have looked under everything that can be lifted, and found nothing, which you have, take the cake back to Tony and offer it to him through the slot. Good idea, but first...

Wait, why are we giving the cake to Tony?

If Tony doesn't want it, can we use to the bribe the guard to free him?

After all it's yummy, dark, rich, delicious chocolate cake and it might not even be poisoned or drugged! What more could he want?


Ixnay on my previous "Why are we giving the cake to Tony?" Ixnayed.

Can we hide the file in the cake? Now that's a good idea. You shove the file in the cake and slip it through the slot - but the *^%$#@!$&^ guard grabs it first. He inspects it...and passes it through the slot. "What harm could cake do? Hopefully he chokes on it. Nap time again for me."

The guard slumps down and sleeps. Soon, you hear the sound of metal bars being filed away, followed by a couple loud clanks. Something slips through the slot - a CD, which you take. You check the peephole and see that Tony has escaped - all right! And the guard didn't even wake up.

Wait, he just woke up. But he doesn't seem to notice anything's different.


Of course, then we'd still have to get rid of the guard. And there's that bit about needing a paddle...or something. Think "or something." The CD'll help you here.
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1632
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So put the CD in the player and play it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13315
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So put the CD in the player and play it. You do. The CD player starts blasting the song "Shattered."

*link added b/c there's more than one song called "Shattered"*
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3605
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh, that song plays whenever I'm in Tortie's car...or else in someone else's car and thinking about sibling. I expect that can't be relevant. Is anything about the song relevant? Lyrics? Artist?
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 738
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we needed "a paddle to go up the river". Hey, hey! We have an "O.A.R."! *groan*

Let's sit and contemplate the deep meaning of the lyrics of the song.

In a way, I need a change
From this burnout scene
Another time, another town
Another everything
But it's always back to you

Stumble out, in the night
From the pouring rain
Made the block, sat and thought
There's more I need
It's always back to you

But I'm good without ya
Yeah, I'm good without you
Yeah, yeah, yeah

How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around
Give me a break let me make my own pattern
All that it takes is some time but I'm shattered
I always turn the car around

I had no idea that the night
Would take so damn long
Took it out, on the street
While the rain still falls
Push me back to you

But I'm good without ya
Yeah, I'm good without you
Yeah, yeah, yeah

How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around
Give me a break let me make my own pattern
All that it takes is some time but I'm shattered
I always turn the car around

Give it up, give it up, baby
Give it up, give it up, now
Now

How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around
All that I feel is the realness I'm faking
Taking my time but it's time that I'm wasting
Always turn the car around

How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around

Don't wanna turn that car around
I gotta turn this thing around


Wow. "The realness I'm faking" really speaks to our soul, no? More importantly, we absolutely "need a change from this burnout scene". [end sarcasm]

So did we accomplish anything with our contemplative moment?

Can we play the song for the guard?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3606
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"So we needed "a paddle to go up the river". Hey, hey! We have an "O.A.R."! *groan*"

*groans too* *facepalm* That so did not occur to me...go figure, lol. We now have an O.A.R...CD that is.

Must we break or shatter something to escape? Is there a car that needs turning around? Is it raining?

I can haz recat of inventory pleaze?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2556
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we can't play the song for him, maybe we can just give him the CD.

Can I add my groan to the chorus, please? Geesh, what a pun! And good thinking, Vessica!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13318
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh, that song plays whenever I'm in Tortie's car...or else in someone else's car and thinking about sibling. I expect that can't be relevant. That isn't, but...

Is anything about the song relevant? Lyrics? Artist? This...

So we needed "a paddle to go up the river". Hey, hey! We have an "O.A.R."! *groan* Yes we do...

Let's sit and contemplate the deep meaning of the lyrics of the song. *contemplation redacted*

Wow. "The realness I'm faking" really speaks to our soul, no? More importantly, we absolutely "need a change from this burnout scene". [end sarcasm] Maybe so, but that's irrelevant.

So did we accomplish anything with our contemplative moment? Maybe.

Can we play the song for the guard? No, because the CD player is plugged in and not portable.

*groans too* *facepalm* That so did not occur to me...go figure, lol. We now have an O.A.R...CD that is. Yes, and...

Must we break or shatter something to escape? Is there a car that needs turning around? Is it raining? No to all

I can haz recat of inventory pleaze? Shur.

INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
Broken padlock
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Backpack
Stepladder
Top
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
Brigitte's third note
1973 quarter
Zip-line handhold (pulley/coat hanger)
Several large nails
Black piano key
Grass skirt
Stone tablet
Brigitte's third note
2004 quarter
Poster of a band


I think that's everything.


If we can't play the song for him, maybe we can just give him the CD. You try to eject the CD player - but it won't open. The song is just blaring on repeat, and the CD won't come out.

Can I add my groan to the chorus, please? Go right ahead, but it was a pun I couldn't resist! Geesh, what a pun! And good thinking, Vesica! Ditto!
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2557
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you unplug the CD player? If so, can you remove the CD after you unplug it?

If not, go back to the guard and sing the song to him. How does he react?
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1635
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the names of the band members relevant? I suppose we could poke, cut out, draw on, or do any of a number of other things to one of the guy's pictures on the poster (that I'm now assuming is an O.A.R poster), but I have no clue which and what to do...
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 739
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We also have the letters to make the word OAR...if that helps.

Would the guard like us to spell for him?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2562
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or maybe instead of spelling OAR to the guard, we need to attach it to the poster? But I don't see any glue or tape on the list, so that's probably not it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13322
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you unplug the CD player? If so, can you remove the CD after you unplug it? No - it's stuck.

If not, go back to the guard and sing the song to him. How does he react? He nods. "Close, but you need to actually show me."

Are the names of the band members relevant? I suppose we could poke, cut out, draw on, or do any of a number of other things to one of the guy's pictures on the poster (that I'm now assuming is an O.A.R poster), but I have no clue which and what to do... You're probably right...

We also have the letters to make the word OAR...if that helps.

Would the guard like us to spell for him?

Or maybe instead of spelling OAR to the guard, we need to attach it to the poster? But I don't see any glue or tape on the list, so that's probably not it. ...and since this all seems complicated, you just show the guard the poster. He nods and pulls out a small remote. Pushing it, he opens the steel door, then steps aside.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3611
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look through the door to see if all is safe. Then, if it is, proceed through the door.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13328
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look through the door to see if all is safe. Then, if it is, proceed through the door. All is safe, so you step forward. This is a small "forest-y" room, with a couple trees and a small stream. Across from you is a wooden door with no hinges or handle. Next to you is a table with a small indentation in it.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3616
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the trees more closely. What do they look like?
Next, check out the stream. How deep is it? Are there fish?
What is the table made of? Is there anything remarkable about it other than the indentation? Check out the indentation. What is it shaped like? If you put pressure on it, does anything happen?
Look at the door. What kind of wood is it? Is there anything written/carved on it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13332
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the trees more closely. What do they look like? Like trees. They're not very tall - only a dozen feet high at most - and they're not very leafy. In fact, there are no leaves on any of the trees. However, one of the trees has one of those "love hearts" carved into its trunk, containing the initials:

S.P.
+
I.N.


Next, check out the stream. How deep is it? About six inches. Are there fish? No.
What is the table made of? Solid wood. Not sure what type. Is there anything remarkable about it other than the indentation? Apparently not. Check out the indentation. What is it shaped like? Like someone poked the table with a tiny wide cone. It comes to a point, but it's barely a centimeter deep - in fact, it may be shallower than that. If you put pressure on it, does anything happen? You can't do so with your finger, because of the narrowness of the indentation.
Look at the door. What kind of wood is it? Don't know. But you knock on the door - it's very solid and heavy. Is there anything written/carved on it? No.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2567
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, SP + IN = spin. It sounds like we need to spin the top. Spin the top on the table. If it fits, put it in the indentation.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 743
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh! Brilliant idea, Noel! I was wracking my brain as to what might fit in the indentation, but I think you've got it.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13335
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, SP + IN = spin. It sounds like we need to spin the top. Spin the top on the table. If it fits, put it in the indentation. You spin the top in the indentation. As it spins, the wooden door rises until it is open completely. When the top topples, the door closes again.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2569
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spin the top again, and go through the door before the top stops spinning.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13340
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spin the top again, and go through the door before the top stops spinning. You hurry through the door just as the top falls and the door closes. Turning around, you see there's no apparent way to get back out that door. Well, that's a problem.

Looking up, you see a vent cover above the door.

Turning around, you see a record player on the floor against the back wall. On the left wall is a large computer screen asking for a password.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3631
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Password, hmm? How about: 84 quarters? 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Balin? Balinbalin?

Examine the record player. Is there a record in it?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13349
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Password, hmm? How about: 84 quarters? 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Balin? Balinbalin? Wait...how are we going to input the password? This isn't a touch screen, and there's no keyboard or anything of that nature nearby.

Examine the record player. Is there a record in it? No.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 756
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using the stepladder, examine the vent cover. Does it open?
Can we pry it open?
If it has screws, can we use the quarter in the groove of the screws to unscrew them?

Examine the Computer screen.
Any wires running anywhere?
Any apparent speakers or microphone nearby.

Can we turn the record player on?
Anything else relevant about examining the record player?

Why do I get a sinking feeling we weren't supposed to come through this door? Of course, if we weren't presumably the door would have slammed shut before we could enter.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13354
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using the stepladder, examine the vent cover. You put the stepladder up against the door and climb up. Does it open? No - it's not screwed or bolted on, and we can't pull it off the wall.
Can we pry it open? With what? Besides, the cover is flush against the wall, so it probably wouldn't work.
If it has screws, can we use the quarter in the groove of the screws to unscrew them? If it had screws, this probably would work...but it doesn't.

Examine the computer screen. It looks like a flat-screen TV, that's how big it is.
Any wires running anywhere? Nope.
Any apparent speakers or microphone nearby? Also nope.

Can we turn the record player on? Yes, but it doesn't do anything without a record in it.
Anything else relevant about examining the record player? Not really. We'll probably need to find a record somewhere in here.

Why do I get a sinking feeling we weren't supposed to come through this door? Of course, if we weren't presumably the door would have slammed shut before we could enter. But if you weren't, why would the door have even been there?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3644
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we're going nowhere fast...any chance of a recat and hintz, balin kitteh?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13358
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we're going nowhere fast...any chance of a recat and hintz, balin kitteh? Shur.

To get out of this room, you need to find a record. Since we can't get at the vent, finding the record will probably have to involve the computer screen. However, since we can't input a password, nor do we have a clue what that password will be...maybe we'll have to think laterally? What else can we do to the computer screen?


INVENTORY:

10 letters (AHMNORSTUW)
Broken padlock
Leather belt
Day planner (reads "Call Brigitte at 802-516-4937")
Backpack
Brigitte's first note
Garden shears
Brigitte's second note
1980 quarter
Ashes
Two-pronged key
Torch
Brigitte's third note
1973 quarter
Zip-line handhold (pulley/coat hanger)
Several large nails
Black piano key
Grass skirt
Stone tablet
Brigitte's third note
2004 quarter
O.A.R. poster

**NOTE: The stepladder is up against the door in the room we are currenly in. However, if we are going to escape through the vent, which seems likely, we will not be able to take said stepladder with us.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3646
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You put Bridget's third note twice, balin kitteh...iz dere a fourth note?

*iz triez tu think laturally*
Biograd (Biograd)
New member
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1639
Registered: 6-2008
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the record player and the touch screen the only objects in this room, and the rest of the floor is bare?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13359
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You put Bridget's third note twice, balin kitteh...iz dere a fourth note? Oops, yes, there is. The first note came from Part I, and we've picked up 3 this game. That makes 4.

Are the record player and the touch screen the only objects in this room, and the rest of the floor is bare? Yes, that's correct.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 759
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought we gave the OAR poster to the guard. Did he give it back?

The screen...Hmmm...
Can we turn it off?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13360
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought we gave the OAR poster to the guard. Did he give it back? We showed it to him - we never gave it to him.

The screen...Hmmm...
Can we turn it off? No - there's no power button.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 764
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said the screen is not a touch screen, yes?
So we can...
Hold our letters up to it?
Lick them to make them stick?
Break the screen?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13363
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said the screen is not a touch screen, yes?
So we can...
Hold our letters up to it? Yes, but this doesn't do anything.
Lick them to make them stick? No, we can't do this.
Break the screen? But we can definitely do this....
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3651
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Break it?
(I thought violence was a no-no...)
With the nails?
The shears?
Something else?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2570
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've also got a stone tablet we could smash it with.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13366
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Break it?
(I thought violence was a no-no...) Against people. Computer screens (but only the ones in the adventure) are fair game.
With the nails? Too light.
The shears? Good idea, but the screen is reinforced, so the shears don't work.
Something else? Yes...

We've also got a stone tablet we could smash it with. You bash the screen with the stone tablet a few times, resulting in a loud explosion as the screen shatters. When the smoke and glass clears, you spot a record hidden among the tangle of wires.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 768
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that's a silly place to hide a record. We could have easily broken it while smashing the screen.

Take the record.
Play it.
Get our groove on.
...I mean, did something happen?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13368
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that's a silly place to hide a record. We could have easily broken it while smashing the screen. Hey, don't blame me; blame the person who hid it there. Which, since I am the puzzle creator, was technically me. So yeah, blame me.

Take the record.
Play it.
Get our groove on.
...I mean, did something happen? You put the record on the player and start it spinning. The record player starts blaring "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)." However, when the record gets to the lyric "Light a candle," it starts to skip...and skip...and skip..."Light a candle/Light a candle/Light a candle/Light a candle" and so on, you get the drift.

You hear a sound from behind you, so you turn around and look up. As the record skips, the vent cover rises - your way out is clear!
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 770
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*snicker* Okay, I'll blame you. Anyhoo...

Let's skip "lighting a votive"...
And step up the stepladder,
Through the vent.
Step down, step down,
And "Watch your heel (crush, crushed?)".

Once through the vent, let's also shout "Leonard Bernstein" just because everyone knows that part of that song.


Watch your heel crush
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 771
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too much editing in the post window. Please ignore that last "Watch your heel crush".
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13372
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*snicker* Okay, I'll blame you. Anyhoo...

Let's skip "lighting a votive"...
And step up the stepladder,
Through the vent.
Step down, step down,
And "Watch your heel (crush, crushed?)". You make your way through the vent, the record player still playing that lyric, which echoes through the metal walls of the vent...

Once through the vent, let's also shout "Leonard Bernstein" just because everyone knows that part of that song. ...and no other part, usually.

Anyway, you make it all the way down the vent until you reach the end. Looking down, you see a trapdoor in the vent, so you drop down it and land...back in that dimly lit room with the creepy monk paintings and bars across the door.

The "light a candle" is still echoing, but much more faintly.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 779
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOLY....Do we hear ticking again??

Also, please confirm. We are INSIDE the creepy monk room and the bars are down, locking us IN?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2572
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see matches or a lighter in our inventory, but we do have a torch. Is it lit? If so, use it to light a candle.

I have a hard time believing we've been carrying around a lit torch all this time, but eh, can't hurt to try
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 783
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh. I thought he meant "flashlight" but was being all British, which would be odd since he's not.

Dude, if we've been carrying a LIT torch in our backpack without setting ourselves and everything else on fire - I want to know the brand, because I need that backpack. :D


Here's the room description from last time...
You step through the door into a dark, stone room. It's not completely dark though, but very dimly lit. There is a door on the opposite side of the room, and on it is a painting of a monk holding an unlit candle. Behind him - at least, it looks this way - there are two lines of monks, all holding unlit candles. The monks are all painted on the walls, and the lines of monks extend all the way around the walls.

Is this still accurate?

Let's take a closer look at the Front Monk. Anything unusual?

Anything important on the floor?
How about above us?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13376
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOLY....Do we hear ticking again?? No

Also, please confirm. We are INSIDE the creepy monk room and the bars are down, locking us IN? And yes.

Huh. I thought he meant "flashlight" but was being all British, which would be odd since he's not. No, I meant "torch." Not "flashlight.

Dude, if we've been carrying a LIT torch in our backpack without setting ourselves and everything else on fire - I want to know the brand, because I need that backpack. :D You've been wise enough to carry the torch in your hand, and everything else in your backpack. No backpack flambé here.


Here's the room description from last time...
You step through the door into a dark, stone room. It's not completely dark though, but very dimly lit. There is a door on the opposite side of the room, and on it is a painting of a monk holding an unlit candle. Behind him - at least, it looks this way - there are two lines of monks, all holding unlit candles. The monks are all painted on the walls, and the lines of monks extend all the way around the walls.

Is this still accurate? Yes

Let's take a closer look at the Front Monk. Anything unusual? Yes - it almost looks as if he's offering the candle to you. And his is the only one where the wick is directly visible.

Anything important on the floor?
How about above us? No to both. Above you is the trapdoor you entered through, but that's out of reach.

I don't see matches or a lighter in our inventory, but we do have a torch. Is it lit? If so, use it to light a candle. It is and always has been, so you hold the torch up to the Front Monk's candle. The candle lights.

Suddenly, the candles held by the two monks next in line light. And the next two...and the next two...and so on down the line. As the candles light and the room gets brighter, the Front Monk seems to split in two...but it's really the wall which has split in two, revealing a secret doorway!
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 795
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for not blowing us up! Also, this place is buckets of creepy. Again, not to sure about our "helper" Brigette.

Anything particular about the doorway? Writing above it?

Let's take a peek into the next room...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13380
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for not blowing us up! You're welcome. Also, this place is buckets of creepy. You're welcome? Again, not to sure about our "helper" Brigette. She's welcome.

Anything particular about the doorway? Writing above it? No and no.

Let's take a peek into the next room... Looks like there's someone in there, beckoning to you. He's standing next to what looks like a glass case.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 799
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does he look like?

Let's go towards the light..I mean, man.

What's in the case?

Anything else we notice about the room?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13384
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does he look like?

Let's go towards the light..I mean, man. The moment you step into the room, the wall slams shut behind you. Nuts.

Anyway, you walk towards the man. You notice a large, conspicuous metal trapdoor in the floor, and are in fact standing on it when facing the man, who's short, but not like the dwarf. Although...he does have an impish look to him as well.


What's in the case? There's a large iron key.

Anything else we notice about the room? There's a small alcove to the right with a shelf on the wall. There are six items on the shelf.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 802
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The doors around here don't like us very much.

Let's step off the trapdoor and say Hello to the man.

And let's take a closer look at the shelf. The six objects are?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13387
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The doors around here don't like us very much. Not one iota, I'd say.

Let's step off the trapdoor and say Hello to the man. He grinns peevishly. "Only one object there will break this glass. But you cannot take anything from it without an equal trade. Hee hee." Did he seriously just say "Hee hee"?

And let's take a closer look at the shelf. The six objects are? From left to right:
-a heavy lamp;
-a wooden oar;
-a section of iron pipe;
-a baseball bat;
-a brass candlestick;
-and a fire axe.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 805
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask him:
"How many tries do we get?"
"What might count as equal trade?"
"Any idea what might break the glass? A riddle perhaps?"

Also..."Hee hee? I'm guessing you don't get a lot of entertainment here. Glad I could liven up your day."
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13390
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask him:
"How many tries do we get?" He just smiles to this one.
"What might count as equal trade?" "Equal trade is equal trade. It's obvious, isn't it?"
"Any idea what might break the glass? A riddle perhaps?" "One of the six. I said that already...."

Also..."Hee hee? I'm guessing you don't get a lot of entertainment here. Glad I could liven up your day." That seemed to annoy him.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2575
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we switch our O.A.R. poster for the oar? What about our torch for the lamp?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13392
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we switch our O.A.R. poster for the oar? You swap the two, and the imp dude looks a bit shocked, but nods. What about our torch for the lamp? You try this switch, but imp man shakes his head. But you did get the poster-for-oar switch off.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 809
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a way to try the oar on the glass case without standing on the trap door?

Speaking of - Are there ANY other doors in this place besides the one that closed behind us?

Any way to offer to swap the key (iron) for the key (piano)?

If it looks like our only option, take the oar to the case.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13395
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a way to try the oar on the glass case without standing on the trap door? Well, the trap door is locked, so it's probably not that dangerous.

Speaking of - Are there ANY other doors in this place besides the one that closed behind us? Only the trapdoor in the floor.

Any way to offer to swap the key (iron) for the key (piano)? The iron key is in the glass case, so not likely. Besides, the swapping was on the shelf.

If it looks like our only option, take the oar to the case. You take it over there. Now what?

Oh, I see, you meant smash it. OK, let's do it.

You swing the oar down with full force, smashing the glass to bits and causing the iron key to drop to the floor. Imp Man stands in the alcove with the shelf and other stuff, waves at you with that same annoying grin, and a wall lowers, closing off the alcove.

Suddenly, you hear a sound above you. Looking up, you see that spikes are sticking down from the ceiling...which is starting to lower! Better get out of here quickly!
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 810
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the key and use it to unlock the trapdoor.

Barring any sharks jumping out to eat us, going through the trapdoor seems like a good idea.

Do we end up in the jail room?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13396
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the key and use it to unlock the trapdoor. Done - the key fits perfectly, and you pull the trapdoor open.

Barring any sharks jumping out to eat us, going through the trapdoor seems like a good idea. You drop through, mere seconds before the spiky ceiling reachs the floor, closing the trapdoor with great force in the process.

Do we end up in the jail room? No; you end up somewhere...new.

First of all, to your left is a doorway which apparently leads down a dirt road lined with telephone poles. That seems hopeful.

In front of you is a large metal door with some sort of electronic lock - there's a strange humming coming from the door. To the right of the door is a fusebox requiring a four-digit code to open.

Oh, and there's another envelope on the floor.
Vesica (Vesica)
New member
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 812
Registered: 8-2001
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's open the envelope.

Come on, quarter! I think we used all the ones we have.


Anything else in sight with the dirt road/telephone direction?
Are we back outside? Or it's a room with telephone poles?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13397
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's open the envelope. You crack it open. The first thing you find is another note:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to contact you again until you're outside, but I just wanted to let you know: You're doing really well. I wish I could help more - I really do - but they'd notice. And...I don't even