Archive through November 10, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 10, 2005 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with the dirt and bones pile. If the dirt is loose enough, the pile should get you close to the window. Either that or you can spin some straw into gold thread and weave a bone and gold ladder. *chuckles*
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: if my other two suggestions don't work, see how loose the dirt is and if you can dig it. Trav: The dirt is loose enough to make digging possible
if you can dig it, make the hole next to where the window is, and put the extra, loose dirt right under the window to give you some extra height.
Trav: Now that makes sense! (digs hole, piles dirt under window) Ok, I now have a pile of dirt which makes somewhat of a ramp up to a point where I can reach up and grab the lower edge of the window! Just a quick climb up, over, and I'm out of the room! Just as I was climbing out of the window, I looked down into the room and saw a guy coming in with a shovel and a smirk on his face. I think he muttered 'nice job, kid' as he walked over to the nice pile of dirt I had made...maybe he's getting the room ready for the next person?

Anyway, I'm out of that room.


Nice suggestion, Jennifer, that was the only possible solution there, based on an old riddle!

Trav: I'm now perched on the lower edge of the window. There is a ladder just below my feet which extends downward through a square hole in a roof. My guess is that's the next room, so let's go...(climbs down ladder)

Ok, I reached the bottom of the ladder to find myself in a large cavern-type room. As soon as I stepped off the bottom rung of the ladder, it was quickly pulled upward through the square hole.

The room I am in now is about fifty feet wide by five hundred feet long, a large rectangle. I am standing in one corner of the room. In the center of the room is what appears to be a pool, twenty feet wide by about one hundred feet long (centered in the rectangular room). Along the long sides of this pool are palm trees, one about every fifteen feet. In the opposite corner from where I am there is a door. Along one wall there is a very thin man wearing tattered clothes. He is holding a tin cup. Hopefully this room will go as quicky as the last one...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe you could also use the bones to make a pile towards that window? gross, but hey, we're desperate!
Ixoye: No worries now, you're out of the room. The skeleton was a bit of a red herring, the only thing to possibly pick up was that the person had not moved the straw which was still underneath the bones and therefore never tried the dirt pile.

I agree with the dirt and bones pile. If the dirt is loose enough, the pile should get you close to the window. Either that or you can spin some straw into gold thread and weave a bone and gold ladder. Trav: A bone and gold ladder, huh? Nice idea, but I'd be a skeleton by the time I got that done! :)
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. So try the door? Introduce yourself to the man. Anything in his cup? Do you have any change on you?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Ok. So try the door? Trav: Ok, I'll do that (tries the door). This door is locked.
Introduce yourself to the man. Trav: "Hi, man."
Anything in his cup? Trav: No
Do you have any change on you? Trav: No
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man respond?
Is the pool empty?
Anything on the palm trees?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely evil thought (Don't do this btw. YET): Grab the man, hold him under water until people run in to save him. Give him a last push into the pool and run out of the room while the man is being rescued.

Ask the man how to get out of the room? (Could it be that simple?) Ask if he has a way to get out? Is it even a real man? A statue with a fake arm that you can pull to activate the secret passage?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel: Did the man respond?
Trav: Yes - he shrugged his shoulders and spoke a few words in a language that I cannot begin to understand
Is the pool empty? Trav: No
Anything on the palm trees? Trav: Yes, leaves and coconuts

Lisa: Absolutely evil thought (Don't do this btw. YET): Grab the man, hold him under water until people run in to save him. Give him a last push into the pool and run out of the room while the man is being rescued.
Ixoye: Wow, that is pretty crafty! I can assure you that there won't be any solutions which will require a measure as drastic as this...

Ask the man how to get out of the room? Trav: Ok (asks that question). The man only stares at the pool and utters some words that I can't understand (a foreign language).
(Could it be that simple?) Trav: I wish
Ask if he has a way to get out? Trav: Ok (asks that question). Again, I can't understand anything he is saying, but he seems to know what I'm asking. He looks up at me and pats his chest with his hand.
Is it even a real man? Trav: Yes, he's alive and breathing
A statue with a fake arm that you can pull to activate the secret passage? Trav: No. Besides, I don't know this guy that well, and he may take offense if I start yanking on his arm...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grab some coconuts, break them open and share some coconut juice with the man? Have some for yourself of course.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Grab some coconuts, break them open and share some coconut juice with the man? Trav: Ok, I'll try it (carefully climbs a tree and grabs some coconuts, offers one to the man). The man crosses his arms up in front of his face as I approach him with a coconut and speaks harshly in his language. As I get close to him, he begins to move away in the opposite direction (I don't think he likes coconuts).

Have some for yourself of course. Trav: These coconuts are so hard I don't know how I could get one of them open anyway - they're almost like cannonballs.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*is really starting to like the idea of pelting this guy with coconuts until he gets frustrated and leaves through the door we want*

Ummmmm... Examine the pool. Anything in the pool besides water? Drop a coconut in. Make SURE it's water. Perhaps we need the man's cup?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: *is really starting to like the idea of pelting this guy with coconuts until he gets frustrated and leaves through the door we want* Trav: Hmmm...I'm going to keep that idea in my hip pocket for the time being

Ummmmm... Examine the pool. Trav: Ok - its walls are all smooth stone.
Anything in the pool besides water? Trav: No
Drop a coconut in. Trav: Ok (drops a coconut in).
Make SURE it's water. Trav: Yes, that appears to be the case. This room is not very well lit, and the water level is too far down for me to reach even if I lay on my stomach next to the pool and reach down as far as I can. By the way, I seem to have sparked the man's interest by dropping that coconut into the pool, he is looking very intently at me now.
Perhaps we need the man's cup? Trav: Well I don't know, he seems very protective of it.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drop more and more coconuts into the pool until the water is up to the edge of the pool.... (Coconuts sink, right?)

What does the man look like? You said he is old, right? Does he look tired? Thirsty? Fit? Anything at all remarkable about him?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian: Drop more and more coconuts into the pool until the water is up to the edge of the pool.... (Coconuts sink, right?) Trav: (Drops a few coconuts into the pool, and they do in fact sink, the water level does not change). The only effect this seems to have is that it makes several splashes. This seems to please the man greatly, and he approaches the pool's edge holding out his tin cup and once again patting his chest with his hand.

What does the man look like? Trav: Umm...
You said he is old, right? Trav: Yes
Does he look tired? Trav: No
Thirsty? Trav: Yes
Fit? Trav: Somewhat fit, yes
Anything at all remarkable about him? He looks like a typical hermit, wild hair, somewhat dirty skin and clothing. He is not carrying anything in his hands except the cup.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Throw a coconut really hard into the pool and see if you can get the water to splash out over the side.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: Throw a coconut really hard into the pool and see if you can get the water to splash out over the side. Trav: Ok (throws a coconut hard at the water surface). This does indeed cause water to splash over the side, and the man rushes to catch a few drops in his cup. Once he catches the water, he looks at me excitedly, nodding his head and patting his chest like a wild gorilla. After repeating this with several coconuts, the man seems to have caught enough water to satisfy him. He steps back from the pool edge and takes a drink from the cup. With a loud "Ahhhh", he tosses the empty cup to the floor and walks over to me. He reaches down into his shirt and pulls out a necklace with a key hanging from it. He removes this from around his neck, hands it to me and points to the door in the far corner. With a grin on his face, he runs over beneath the square hole that I entered through. He puts two grubby fingers in his mouth and whistles. The ladder lowers through the hole and the man climbs onto the lower rung. As soon as both of his feet leave the ground, the ladder is yanked quickly up through the hole. I think I heard the man yell something that sounded like "thank you!" just before his body was yanked through the hole.

So I run over to the door and put the key in. Hey, it unlocks and opens easily! Taking a few steps, I am now in a relatively small room. This room is well-lit by many incandescent bulbs on the ceiling. There is a man standing next to the doorway I entered, and he nods at me as he closes the door that I came in through. Like in the first room, this door has no knob or handle of any kind on this side. The man crosses to the opposite side of the room and stands next to a steel door with no sign of knob or handle. He points to one wall on which a clock is mounted (standard clock with second, minute and hour hands). The rest of that wall and all the other walls are completely bare.

In the center of the room is a steel table, fastened securely to the floor. On the table are three items:

A large plastic bucket filled with sand
A large plastic bucket that is empty
A small plastic cup

There is a piece of paper that has been taped to the table. On the piece of paper I can see the following:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Take him ten cups of sand
2. He takes the small cup when he leaves

Wow, this one is already making my head hurt...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you crack open a coconut and use it as a cup?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Can you crack open a coconut and use it as a cup? Trav: Well, if I had brought any coconuts with me...wait, those things were too hard to crack open anyway...no, I guess I can't.

Ixoye: I wondered if the mention of 'cannonball' would trigger the image of the big-splash pool jump...
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What time is shown on the clock?
Do you know what time it really is?
If so, is the clock showing the right time?
Is the second hand moving?
Can you take the piece of paper from the table?
Does the full bucket look like it would contain enough sand to fill the small cup ten times?
Is there a keyhole in the steel door?
If so, does the hermit's key work in it?
Does the clock come off the wall?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops. Sorry about the delayed post. Ahem.

Well, obvious method: Take the small plastic cup, fill it with sand, pour the sand into the bucket, repeat 8 more times (9 cups of sand total). Then fill the small cup with sand and drop both the cup with the sand in it inside the bucket.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try asking the man what you are to do?
Does he speak at all?

Try just giving him the full bucket.

If nothing works, try bringing him the empty cup and bucket. How does he respond?

And last of all. Pour all the sand from one bucket to the other? Making sure no grains are wasted. Anything in the (now) empty bucket?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, one doctor's appointment and I miss a whole room! Nice work on the coconut splashing, guys.