A police officer spotted a truck driv... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Dead men, albatrosses and elevators - a collection of classic laterals - PLEASE don't post these again » A police officer spotted a truck driver clearly going the wrong way down a one-way street, but didn't arrest him. Why not? « Previous Next »

Steve Wyrt (Wizardofoz)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truck driver was walking.
prudence crystalgate (Pruecrystalgate)
Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is stupid. the police officer cant say the driver is going the wrong way if he sees him walking. the puzzle is not phrased correctly or its entirety is really erroneous.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I don't know. Suppose that one end of the street was on fire, and the truck driver was walking towards it. He would then clearly be going the wrong way. Or, suppose that the truck driver were going into the establishment of a notorious criminal; then, he would be going the wrong way as far as his moral well being was concerned. Or perhaps he was walking backwards, or there was a place at one end of the street called "Wrong", or...

There is an explanation for everything, except possibly Morris dancing. The explanation is not necessarily that someone has been stupid - but even if no other explanation is possible, reflect that stupidity may lie as much in the mind of the beholder of a phenomenon as in that of its creator.
Matthew Simpson (Pepperfish)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the truck driver was the passenger in another car, then he could be going the wrong way but could not be arrested as he had not done anything wrong himself.
Brad Bokansky (Botothemax)
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truck driver was going in reverse.
Tim (Timbonus)
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's in a fire truck trying to attend an emergency.
Dylan Simpson (Dylan)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the truck driver was walking, why is it considered going the wrong way?? I mean, the only way you can walk the wrong way is if you're walking backwards
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you bastards stop trying to find faults in this puzzle? In any event, it was written by Paul, most likely the reason you're into puzzles at all, and certainly the force keeping you in this forum.

In my humble opinion, it is worded better than most of the other 'classics' written here.
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think its a case of fault finding, more that we all think in different ways. I would humbly suggest that the police officer had better things to do, like he was attending the scene of another more important crime, or he was off duty, or out of his jurisdiction or the man was arrested by another police officer.

If you want to kill me in my sleep, Steve, I fear you will have a long way to travel. Unless you decide to kill me in my sleep in a puzzle by some nefarious means!
sunnyyab (Samsam)
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May be the driver is the wife of the police boss or the mother in laws in the future.
Kieren Denison (Kieren_Rocks)
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a life u all r a bunch of sad lonely people with no friends and enjoy faulting people cus u thgink u r smarter than everyone else. The guy has tried hard on his puzlle. Stop faulting him.
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On most one way streets, there is a big sign that says WRONG WAY, and, if he was going that way, the truck driver would be going the wrong way down a one way street. Another possibility is that the truck driver got out and started shooting the cops and the police had to shoot him to save their lives. The police wouldn't arrest him because he would already be dead.
Asesh Datta (Asesh)
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Police officer is new to the place. The sign 'wrong way' was accidentally hit by the previous vehicle showing the right way as wrong. The next vehicle was the truck. Police was busy noting the number of the earlier vehicle. The truck driver went ahead.
theimpossibleman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem never says the police officer says a word to the truck driver. It only says he sees the truck driver.
Erik (Erik)
Username: Erik

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Wrong Way" = Opposite direction of the one-way street.

The truck driver was walking the opposite direction of the one-way street. Not necessarily the "wrong way," but it simply meant the opposite direction of the street.
Knockout08 (Knockout08)
Username: Knockout08

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the truck driver's brakes failed and he was approaching a downslope and the safest place to pull over was on a one-way street, so the policeman was cool with it.
Ludo (Ludo)
Username: Ludo

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the direction of the street is bottom --> upwards
the truck stop, the driver go down but dont put brakes ( or dont put well)
the truck begin go in " wrong way"
and the driver run to stop the truck
the police officier dont go to ARREST the Driver (now)
;)

is that??

ab imo pectore
Ludo
Zartiblartfast (Zartiblartfast)
Username: Zartiblartfast

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truck was reversing. Therefore going the wrong way legally.
Arlo (Arlo)
Username: Arlo

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The police officer was off duty, like I said before. Why was my post (and my account too) deleted?
Vlm_brownie (Vlm_brownie)
Username: Vlm_brownie

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it was me
Tbear58637 (Tbear58637)
Username: Tbear58637

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The road was closed for repairs. The truck driver was working on the road. (ie. dumping gravel or concrete or blacktop mix)
Nobbynumbnut (Nobbynumbnut)
Username: Nobbynumbnut

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK here we go,

A truck driver is going along a one way street in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic consisting of motorised conveyances of various specifcations and designs which were obeying the relevant signage, the current highway code and the relevent traffic laws. A policeman noticed the man because he had a large inflatable replica of the duke of kent complete with flashing LED eyes sticking out of his huge mexican sombrero.
Observing that the man was not a relation of the chief of police and didn't have a beard, high vis vest, a wedding ring or in any danger of falling into a hole. The policeman, who was on duty, not on a stakeout and could, if he so desired bring down the full might of the law as per his obligation to uphold the Queens regulations and support acts of parliment so proposed by the commoners and aproved by the house of Lords, decided that no breach of said laws and/or regulations apertaining in this instance to the current highway code (availble from Her majesty book store for 6.99 cash or you can order online with a valid UK credit/debit card) had occured.

Why?

I hope this pleases all you pedants (pedantic, by the way appertains to the act rather than the inividual before you start)

I really hope the guy who first posted this puzzle continues to enjoy puzzles for puzzles sake. The puzzle is more inportant than the minor details picked out above by the self satisfied T@ssers living either with their Mum or in a shabby bedsit living on soup and smash, which incidently is more than adequate as they have nobody to invite home anyway who have nothing better to do during the time that Dr Who is not on the black and white portable television that there uncle gave to them (which they also criticise as "not as good as the original") Than try to boost there unimaginally low self esteem by criticing others. Remember "empty vessels make the most noise"
They live for these little victorys such as insisting that the shopkeeper hands them a reciept for thier naked trainspotters wives magazine, because "That is my right as a consumer" and I am soooo looking forward to reading in following posts about my grammatikal(sic) errors and deliberate spelling mistakes.

You are the kind of people who eventually end up in the national press with your photograph, under which is a caption that includes the words "before turning the gun on himself"

My advice is to limit your time on the internet to one hour a day, sleep for eight hours and spend the rest of your time talking to real people, they wont bite (except the ones who bite) you may then, with time and experience be enabled to join the rest of us who enjoy a real and enjoyable life.
Mybrainhurts (Mybrainhurts)
Username: Mybrainhurts

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the police officer driving the wrong way down the street when he saw the truck driver?
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the truck driver was carring his neatly packed parachute and climbing down a manhole. That would appear to be the wrong way.

Or maybe he was wearing the parachute and was floating heavenwards. Surely that would be the wrong way!

Maybe he was peeing away from the wall instead of against it, I assume that would be, going the wrong way!

We don't know much about the Police Officer though. I mean what did he spot the truck driver with - the flick of a paint brush?

Was the Police Officer Norman Wisdom by any chance?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Beroean.
Bolapara (Bolapara)
Username: Bolapara

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

because he had lost his brakes, and went down the street so that he could stop his truck in a field, rather than continue and hit backed up traffic
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just saw this happen here recently, actually. There was a major street (one way on each side of a rather large median [~40-50 ft wide], although still technically the same street) that was shut down because the city's major annual 10k was being held that day. After all of the walkers had passed from the side where traffic normally goes NW, I saw a box truck driving SE down that side while we were travelling back down on the side where they're supposed to travel SE. There were plenty of police and emergency vehicles around, since it was a major event, but nobody stopped the truck. Yet another way this could be "solved," I guess.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or maybe the officer just gave him a ticket.
Dr_nik (Dr_nik)
Username: Dr_nik

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe this is such a sticking point! Ok, first, if the police don't like the way you look, you're walking the wrong way down the street. Easy enough. But take a step back in time with me, and remember that streets didn't/don't always have sidewalks; the proper way to walk down these streets is to face oncoming traffic, so that you can respond to it. If an officer noticed someone walking down a street that had no sidewalks, with his back towards traffic, he would be "walking the wrong way" and the officer would be right in recommending that the person cross the street so as to continue walking the same direction and be facing oncoming vehicles. If you were familiar with that concept, you would hear the solution and say to yourself "Ah, walking the wrong way down a one way street is stupid but not illegal. No ticket. I see." You might cry foul and say "There is no safe way to walk down (in the direction of) a one-way street! Your back must be towards traffic!" True, and it's not safe. But the riddle says "clearly going the wrong way". This is a red herring, to get you to think about cars and one-way streets, and keep your mind off walking. The riddle tricks you into linking two concepts: "truck" and "driver"; like the pilot and surgeon riddles, we automatically assume that professionals [pilots, doctors] are male, or that "I do X for a living" means "I'm doing X right now." Now move on!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: