[Haenlomal] Non est mea culpa! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » [Haenlomal] Non est mea culpa! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 10, 2004Bojan Basic22 10-10-04  12:50 pm
Archive through December 07, 2004Ryan Davies22 12-07-04  6:06 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this have anything to with a "St. Bernard" type of program? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BIG hint in whitetext -- way past time to put this puzzle away:

My colleague and I was working on our product's performance over a WAN. Now then....
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think she heard "wang", the euphemism for male genitalia?

(I tried to put it in as classy a way as possible! :)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think she heard "wang", the euphemism for male genitalia? No

(I tried to put it in as classy a way as possible! :) Thanks for the effort :)
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she mishear "WAN" as another word? a profane word?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she mishear "WAN" as another word? She did mishear a word/term, but that word was not "WAN" a profane word? No'ish
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So since it's not computer-specific it's probably not "LAN" or "SAN"...was the actual word a noun? Verb? Adjective? Adverb?

Was it addressing/modifying/tied to the product? Performance?

The word she thought she heard has a sexual connotation (or at least in Canada it does :O)? Would it be considered a slang word or pronunciation (e. g. "ho" for "whore")? Any relevant accents going on? Is it a North American-type word? French? Canuckian? Is it (the one she thought you were saying) a noun? Verb? Adjective? Adverb? Preposition?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So since it's not computer-specific it's probably not "LAN" or "SAN" Yes...was the actual word a noun? Verb? Adjective? This one Adverb?

Was it addressing/modifying/tied to the product? Well, yes, for svv of "tied" Performance? YES -- well done! Now, can you take that final step and put away this puzzle for good? :)

The word she thought she heard has a sexual connotation (or at least in Canada it does )? Yes'ish Would it be considered a slang word or pronunciation (e. g. "ho" for "whore")? YES Any relevant accents going on? No Is it a North American-type word? French? Canuckian? AFAIK, it's common enough in English, regardless of US, Canada, Britain, etc. Is it (the one she thought you were saying) a noun? Verb? Adjective? This one Adverb? Preposition?

Almost over now...
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh...no? :O

Did she think you were talking about a person?

Let's see--fast? Put out (no, I think that's more of a verb...)? Easy?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh...no? Well, you are very close, but it could be that you've not fully appreciated what you've uncovered just yet...

Did she think you were talking about a person? No

Let's see--fast? Put out (no, I think that's more of a verb...)? Easy? None of these, I'm afraid.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like she has a dirty mind, to me.

Did she hear the word correctly? Or did she assume from context that you were using a different-but-similar-sounding word? Or a slang version of an otherwise innocuous word?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like she has a dirty mind, to me. ROFL! Now that you mention it, her mind is somewhat in the gutter. But I'll refrain from commenting more since she's currently sitting in the cubicle beside me...

Did she hear the word correctly? Yope Or did she assume from context that you were using a different-but-similar-sounding word? No -- had she known the context, she probably wouldn't have misunderstood anything. Or a slang version of an otherwise innocuous word? Difficult to answer -- the word as my other co-worker and I was using it was certainly innocuous. However, she heard the same word that thought it to be a slang term for something not that nice.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you and a colleague were discussing the performance of something and an adjective you used to describe said performance was taken by her to be an adjective which is inappropriate for the workplace?

But she didn't think the adjective was being applied to a person...did she think it was modifying a body part? A location? A thing associated with sex? A particular sexual fetish or proclivity?
Bojan Basic (Bojan_Basic)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Putty?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bodo

So you and a colleague were discussing the performance of something Yes and an adjective you used Yes...and my other co-worker also used this adjective too to describe said performance but technically speaking No to this...explore a bit further, and this puzzle should be done was taken by her to be an adjective which is inappropriate for the workplace? Yes

But she didn't think the adjective was being applied to a person Yope. I'm sorry if I misled you into thinking this. Depending on what she was thinking, the word used could be applied to a person or not applied to a person. I didn't bother asking her about it for further enlightment. ...did she think it was modifying a body part? No A location? No A thing associated with sex? Usually yes, though technically speaking, this word does not have to have sexual connotations A particular sexual fetish or proclivity? Not really -- the word may definitely be used to describe certain types of "sexual fetish or proclivity", but is not restricted to any one type.

Bojan_Basic

Putty? No
Oneida (Theoneida)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Smokin'?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Smokin'? No

Remember: the "word" in question is:

a) Not really a word
b) Is actually perfectly benign

It was my co-worker who misheard the word, and thought it was something else. That "something else" can be interpreted as a bad word.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the word-not-a-word you were using an acronym-which-isn't-yet-a-word (e. g. laser, scuba, radar have all become "real" words)?

Just to throw one out of which I just thought (it's kinda creaky technology these days anyhow)--small computer system interface relevant (I remember my thoughts the first time I heard the common pronouncification)?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the word-not-a-word you were using an acronym-which-isn't-yet-a-word (e. g. laser, scuba, radar have all become "real" words)? NO -- good question!

Just to throw one out of which I just thought (it's kinda creaky technology these days anyhow)--small computer system interface relevant (I remember my thoughts the first time I heard the common pronouncification)? No
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the "word" in question describe a good performance? a poor one?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the "word" in question describe a good performance? a poor one? Neither...and probably a bit of a FA lurking here...
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're looking for an adjective about performance of software, but not really a word, did i get that right?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're looking for an adjective Yes, but... about performance of software ...to say that the adjective is "about performance of software", while strictly speaking true, can be potentially misleading, but not really a word Yes, did i get that right? See my comments before
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leetspeak relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leetspeak relevant? Sorry, no

I have a feeling that you guys will be kicking yourselves once you figure out the solution...
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

me too :)

Does the "word" contain more than 4 letters?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

me too :)

Does the "word" contain more than 4 letters? No...in fact, it contains exactly 4 letters.
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an abbreviation? an acronym?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an abbreviation? THIS ONE -- well done! I'm surprised that no one has found this out earlier... an acronym? So no to this
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an abbreviation of an adjective? Or does it itself work as one?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an abbreviation of an adjective? Yes Or does it itself work as one? Yes to this as well -- AFAIK, if any word is an abbreviation of an adjective, then the abbreviation itself is also used as such.
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the abbreviation any of these:

adjp?
Brit?
comp?
conj?
masc?
neut?
part?
pers?
pres?
pron?
Scot?
sing?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the abbreviation any of these:

adjp?
Brit?
comp?
conj?
masc?
neut?
part?
pers?
pres?
pron?
Scot?
sing?

Sorry, none of these
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still remember when I did Meet Me in St. Louis with a local community theater and some wag painted St. Louis Urban Transport System on the streetcar prop (the one from the zing-zing-zing bit). There was even a publicity photo with some of the female cast members smiling and waving from within it...

Would the version your coworker incorrectly assumed you were using, if used to describe a person, be derogatory? Would it imply something about their sexual habits? Personal hygene? Ethnicity? Culture? Work ethic? Appearance? Taste? Size? Intelligence? Morals? Ethics? Veracity?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still remember when I did Meet Me in St. Louis with a local community theater and some wag painted St. Louis Urban Transport System on the streetcar prop (the one from the zing-zing-zing bit). There was even a publicity photo with some of the female cast members smiling and waving from within it... Someone obviously thought they were being "smart", but I understand that these sort of things happen pretty regularly in theater productions...

Would the version your coworker incorrectly assumed you were using, if used to describe a person, be derogatory? Most definitely Would it imply something about their sexual habits? Predominantly this one Personal hygene? Ethnicity? Culture? Work ethic? Appearance? Taste? Size? Intelligence? Morals? Also this Ethics? This too Veracity?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then there was the scenery painter who liked to incorporate dinosaurs (very subtly) into the backdrops...that was always entertaining for those of us in the pit during the long book (i. e. sans music) scenes--we'd be looking for the brontosaurus neck gracefully rising above the Oklahoma territory...

So the word (the one she thought she heard) implied (to her) "loose" morals? Like "slut", "hoyden", "wench", "whore/ho" etc.?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then there was the scenery painter who liked to incorporate dinosaurs (very subtly) into the backdrops...that was always entertaining for those of us in the pit during the long book (i. e. sans music) scenes--we'd be looking for the brontosaurus neck gracefully rising above the Oklahoma territory...

So the word (the one she thought she heard) implied (to her) "loose" morals? Yes Like "slut", "hoyden", "wench", "whore/ho" etc.? Yes -- though "slut" and "whore/ho" is perhaps a bit too explicit. The actual "word" used is more on the subtle insinuation side of things. Also keep in mind that the "word" is 1) an abbreviation 2) a slang term and 3) is 4 letters long.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...when the corn is as high as a bronto's left eyyyyeeee...."

"Easy?" "Blue?"

So the word she thought you were using is four letters? And the abbreviation you were using is four letters? Or am I conflating things? I was thinking she thought she heard a word where youse guys were using an abbreviation, is that right? Or did she think she heard a different abbreviation than you were using? Or did she think you were using an abbreviation when you were using a whole word?

You're sure this isn't some quaint Canadianism, right? Like a brand of beer or something?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...when the corn is as high as a bronto's left eyyyyeeee...."

"Easy?" "Blue?" No those, sorry. :(

So the word she thought you were using is four letters? Yes And the abbreviation you were using is four letters? Yes to this too Or am I conflating things? I was thinking she thought she heard a word where youse guys were using an abbreviation, is that right? Or did she think she heard a different abbreviation than you were using? THIS ONE -- good question! Or did she think you were using an abbreviation when you were using a whole word?

You're sure this isn't some quaint Canadianism, right? Like a brand of beer or something? Yes, I'm sure it's not a quaint Canadianism :)

I'll give a brief hint/recap to help finally put this puzzle out of its misery.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP/hints:

My coworker and I were conducting performance tests on the product both of us were working on. We were in my cubicle, going over the performance logs we had gathered, and discussing the results. During the course of our discussions, we used a "word", which for simplicity's sake I'll refer to as "Word1"

Another coworker, who was sitting in the cubicle next to mine, heard "Word1" as something else, which we'll refer to as "Word2".

These are the relevant properties of Word1 and Word2.

Word1:
- is 4 letters long
- is an informal abbreviation
- is being used as an adjective in the context of the discussion

Word2:
- is also 4 letters long
- is also an informal abbreviation
- is also thought to be used as an adjective in the context of the discussion
- usually (but not exclusive) implies sexually deviant behaviour
- sounds almost exactly like Word1 -- though technically speaking, they should be pronounced slightly different, most people would probably incorrectly treat them homonyms.

New information (hints):
Both Word1 and Word2 can be used a noun in certain contexts, though not in the context of the puzzle.

Things left to discover:
What's word1? What's word2?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perf? Perv?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perf? Perv? And that's a wrap!

************* SPOILER ***************

A male co-worker and I were going through performance logs, and in the course of our discussion, we recalled to them as "perf logs".

The female co-worker who sits in the cubicle next to me was not working on the same project, and when she heard "perf logs", she at first thought we were talking about "perv logs". She was going to make some smart comment, but fortunately for her, she held her tongue long enough to realize what we were actually saying. She did tell me afterwards what she initially though, though, leading me to create this puzzle.

Thanks to all to participated, especially to Bodo who made some of the more critical lateral leaps and gruntwork, and a special mention to Woubit for finally putting this puzzle out of its misery. And for any future "performances" you two do, may no one mistaken them for "perversions".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: