Archive through October 29, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Bojan_Basic] Pyramid puzzle once more » Archive through October 29, 2004 « Previous Next »

Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all the answers single words? (They have been so far, but I thought I'd check just in case ...)

"Something about money" (but not a thing, concept, person, verb or adjective).
Could it be described as a property of money?
Is it dependent on any particular currency?
Is it dependent on any particular economic system?
Bojan Basic (Bojan_Basic)
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all the answers single words? (They have been so far, but I thought I'd check just in case ...) Yes.

"Something about money" (but not a thing, concept, person, verb or adjective).
Could it be described as a property of money?
Is it dependent on any particular currency?
Is it dependent on any particular economic system? No to these.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the word in dictionary?
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the word in dictionary? Yes.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bank, account, capital, finance, treasure, wealth?
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bank, This! account, capital, finance, treasure, wealth?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to avoid any misunderstandings ...

The word we are looking for is "Bank"?

And we are now looking for something about a Sunday, which can (in some sense) be subtracted from "Bank"?

Assuming that you answer "Yes" to the above, is "Bank" used in the same sense (ie a financial institution) in the next stage of the problem? or is it a river bank? a blood bank? some other kind of bank?

Turning to consideration of "Sunday".
Is there some association with a particular Sunday (eg Mothers' Day)?
Does it occur an a regular basis? annually?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gambling or betting relevant?
or working hours?
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to avoid any misunderstandings ...

The word we are looking for is "Bank"? Well, not exactly, now you need to go one step further from "bank"... :) But I would suggest to leave this for a while and concentrate on Sunday, though the choice is up to you.

And we are now looking for something about a Sunday, which can (in some sense) be subtracted from "Bank"? From something about "bank".

Assuming that you answer "Yes" to the above, I didn't :) is "Bank" used in the same sense (ie a financial institution) in the next stage of the problem? This. or is it a river bank? a blood bank? some other kind of bank?

Turning to consideration of "Sunday".
Is there some association with a particular Sunday (eg Mothers' Day)? No.
Does it occur an a regular basis? Yesish. annually? Yope.

Sundowner

Gambling or betting relevant? No.
or working hours? No.
Oneida (Theoneida)
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't someone ask earlier if the Sunday was a payday? And the answer was yes? Is this significant?

So could "bank" minus "payday" = withdrawal? deposit?

Or could it be that "bank" minus "Sunday" = "work week" or something like that? Could "seven" ÷ ("bank" "Sunday") = weekday?
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't someone ask earlier if the Sunday was a payday? I don't remember, but the answer is no. And the answer was yes? Is this significant?

So could "bank" minus "payday" = withdrawal? deposit? No.

Or could it be that "bank" minus "Sunday" = "work week" or something like that? Could "seven" ÷ ("bank" "Sunday") = weekday? No.
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So its still "something about money"?
But "Bank" is close?
Is it the name of a bank?
The name of another financial institution?
Some element of the banking process?

And then there's "something about Sunday" which occurs on a regular-ish basis?
How many Sundays in the last century would be related to the word we are looking for?

When we eventually solve this puzzle, will we also have found the answer to life, the universe and everything?
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So its still "something about money"? Yes.
But "Bank" is close? Yes.
Is it the name of a bank? Yes! This name is very common, I don't think it would be hard to guess.
The name of another financial institution?
Some element of the banking process? So, no to these.

And then there's "something about Sunday" which occurs on a regular-ish basis? Yes.
How many Sundays in the last century would be related to the word we are looking for? Hmm.. I don't know. Maybe about 1000.

When we eventually solve this puzzle, will we also have found the answer to life, the universe and everything? You already know that, it's "42" :)
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

which i suppose is "seven" * "six" :P

is this Sunday refering to particular Calendar Sundays? (like saints days) or something that happens at an arbitrary time, but, by tradition or otherwise, happens to fall on sundays? (like Marketday?)
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok - I've looked up some names of banks. Is it Raiffeiesenbank? National? World? Vojvodjanska? Delta? Union? Deutsche? Mizuho? Citigroup? Crédit Agricole? Mitsubishi? Credit Suisse? Barclays? Morgan Stanley? Chase? Rabobank? Santander? Lloyds? .. or any of the others listed on http://globalf.vwh.net/content/?article_id=639 ?
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zenith

which i suppose is "seven" * "six" :P Yes, but it has nothing to do with this puzzle :P

is this Sunday refering to particular Calendar Sundays? (like saints days) or something that happens at an arbitrary time, but, by tradition or otherwise, happens to fall on sundays? Something like this. (like Marketday? No.)

E20

Ok - I've looked up some names of banks. Is it Raiffeiesenbank? National? World? Vojvodjanska? Delta? Union? Deutsche? Mizuho? Citigroup? Crédit Agricole? Mitsubishi? Credit Suisse? Barclays? Morgan Stanley? Chase? Rabobank? Santander? Lloyds? .. or any of the others listed on http://globalf.vwh.net/content/?article_id=639 ? Sorry, no.
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Piggy?
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Piggy? I don't know what you mean, but the answer is no.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TD, Scotia, Royal, CIBC? What country is the bank mostly in?
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, is the bank mostly located in NA, SA, EU, AS, AUS? Canada, USA, Germany, Serbia and Montenegro?
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ment piggy bank :)
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mezzoforte

TD, Scotia, Royal, CIBC? No. What country is the bank mostly in?

Mezzoforte

I mean, is the bank mostly located in NA, SA, EU, AS, AUS? Canada, USA, Germany, Serbia and Montenegro? There are many different banks in different countries, but have the same name. I mean, this name is very common in the bank business.