Archive through December 07, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2005 » [Buzzard] A bubble in a baby's dream » Archive through December 07, 2004 « Previous Next »

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first puzzle in a while - please bear with me while I get back into form.

Nonabelian.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a grape, then?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a grape, then? no, no grapes involved
L. Jacobs (Tweek)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group theory relevant at all? Math relevant? Is there a specific group involved? Is its order less than 100?

Or does the problem statement refer directly to something that is literally not Abel?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group theory relevant at all? only in the sense that that's where the word "nonabelian" comes from Math relevant? never Is there a specific group involved? no Is its order less than 100? FA

Or does the problem statement refer directly to something that is literally not Abel? Well, the statement refers directly to something, and that something does not involve Abel at all, but only in the sense that most things don't.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Commuters? Groups of normal people? Bicycles? Conjugal rights?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Commuters? Groups of normal people? Bicycles? Conjugal rights? none of these, especially not the second
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many people are involved in the events of this puzzle?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many people are involved in the events of this puzzle? two, directly; perhaps a couple dozen others, indirectly
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not being commutative in general, relevant?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not being commutative in general, relevant? Well, not being commutative in specific - this puzzle is about a specific instance in which the order of things matters
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A physical ordering of things? Tangible things? Or a temporal ordering of events?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A physical ordering of things? Tangible things? Or a temporal ordering of events? this one
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many events? What is the length of time between the start of the first event and the end of the last one? What is the mean duration of these events? In what decade did the first event begin? the last one end? did any of the events overlap?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many events? two What is the length of time between the start of the first event and the end of the last one? a few hours What is the mean duration of these events? about an hour In what decade did the first event begin? 2000's the last one end? laeftr did any of the events overlap? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the same two people involved in both events? Is this a true story? For each of these people: male? adult? still alive? are you one of them? Did these events take place in the same location? if so (or even if not) in what continent?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the same two people involved in both events? yes Is this a true story? have I ever lied to you? :) For each of these people: male? one of them is adult? both of them are (for svv of "adult") still alive? I certainly hope so are you one of them? yes Did these events take place in the same location? no, but irrelevant if so (or even if not) in what continent? North America
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have I ever lied to you? Only about objects :)

Were these people in a position to talk to each other face to face during the first event? the second? did they communicate by so doing? by some other means? is this other person a friend? a colleague? a relative? a stranger?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these people in a position to talk to each other face to face during the first event? no, but only because he had to keep his eyes on the road the second? likewise did they communicate by so doing? well, they talked to each other by some other means? is this other person a friend? a colleague? a relative? this one a stranger?

To fill in the details for everyone else: these events took place while my brother and I were driving from Pennsylvania to Illinois, following the Thanksgiving holiday. But this does not matter all that much.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, but only because he had to keep his eyes on the road Recent experience indicates that this is not actually a requirement in the United States, particularly on the Florida Turnpike.

Are these events things that happened on the road? things that you learned about during the journey? do they involve signs?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

particularly on the Florida Turnpike. Taking the Florida turnpike would be a rather roundabout way of getting from Pennsylvania to Illinois.

Are these events things that happened on the road? yes, I suppose so, but I have to wonder, as opposed to what? things that you learned about during the journey? no(ish) do they involve signs? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taking the Florida turnpike would be a rather roundabout way of getting from Pennsylvania to Illinois Perhaps, but it is the route recommended by the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago.

yes, I suppose so, but I have to wonder, as opposed to what? as opposed to events that happened elsewhere in the world about which you learned through listening to the radio in the car, for example. Welcome back, Dr Johanna :)

Did these events involve other vehicles?