Archive through December 15, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Buzzard] Beyond the Northern Sea » Archive through December 15, 2004 « Previous Next »

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe they're all women.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of them are there? Are they all human beings? Are they all alive? dead? adults? children? Do, or did, they exist in reality? or are they fictional?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of them are there? about forty thousand Are they all human beings? yes Are they all alive? dead? this adults? children? this is not specified, but I would suspect that almost all of them were adults at the time of their deaths Do, or did, they exist in reality? yes or are they fictional? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they all come from the same country? (if so, which one?) Were they all contemporaries? (if so, in which centuries did they live? if not, in which century did the one who died first live? the one who died last?) Is the manner of their deaths relevant to the puzzle?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they all come from the same country? yes (if so, which one? the United States, although some were probably born elsewhere) Were they all contemporaries? more or less (if so, in which centuries did they live? the 20th, mostly, but some of them survived into the 21st, and some of them were probably born in the 19th if not, in which century did the one who died first live? the one who died last?) Is the manner of their deaths relevant to the puzzle? not especially
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I presume there was a common link.

Was this due to their work?
Due to their hobbies?
Due to their manner of death?
Due to specific achievements in life?

Did they know each other in life? Did they belong to an organisation?
Did they fight for rights for some group?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I presume there was a common link. of course :)

Was this due to their work?
Due to their hobbies?
Due to their manner of death?
Due to specific achievements in life? none of these

Did they know each other in life? irrelevant Did they belong to an organisation? irrelevant
Did they fight for rights for some group? irrelevant
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the link something they used? Something they bought? Somewhere they went?

Is there something somewhere that appears to have the mark of these women on it?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In view of what we now know, should the puzzle statement read "Maybe they were all women"?

Were they all women?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:37 pm:

Was the link something they used? Something they bought? Somewhere they went? none of these

Is there something somewhere that appears to have the mark of these women on it? no

By David Burn (Woubit) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:41 pm:

In view of what we now know, should the puzzle statement read "Maybe they were all women"? I guess so

Were they all women? most unlikely - this is a silly puzzle
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with their names?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with their names? no
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any well-known (or not so well-known) quotations important here? on a long shot i'm wondering if there might be some statement such as "No man ever died doing x" or something along these lines that might be answered with teh puzzle statement...?

i apologize for any poor typing as well, but for me it's just lazyness...
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any well-known (or not so well-known) quotations important here? yes on a long shot i'm wondering if there might be some statement such as "No man ever died doing x" or something along these lines that might be answered with teh puzzle statement...? this is rather on the right track

i apologize for any poor typing as well, but for me it's just lazyness...
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about their life was in common? They all did something the same?
kerry hearne (Kerry)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the women connected by geographic region? (other than being in the usa)
race?
language?
anything to do with "behind every great man....."
anything to do with their spouses?
a position they held in society?
a stand that they took?
politics involved?
voting?
did they simply have the same experience as oneanother?
any of them band together in any way - form any sort of group?
did any of them now eachother?
did any of them know eachother because they shared a particular commonality?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the source of the relevant quote a book or story? song? poem? television show? film? is it an old/well-known addage? Was it famously spoken? if so, in a speech? an interview?

are the words "No man" included in the quotation?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 08:55 pm:

Something about their life was in common? yesish They all did something the same? yes

By kerry hearne (Kerry) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:48 pm:

were the women connected by geographic region? no (other than being in the usa)
race? no
language? no, other than that most people in the US speak USian
anything to do with "behind every great man....." no
anything to do with their spouses? no
a position they held in society? no
a stand that they took? no
politics involved? no
voting? no
did they simply have the same experience as oneanother? I am not sure what this means. The thing that they all have in common could possibly be described as an "experience", I suppose.
any of them band together in any way - form any sort of group? irrelevant
did any of them now eachother? irrelevant
did any of them know eachother because they shared a particular commonality? irrelevant

By (Stuccosalt) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 03:05 pm:

is the source of the relevant quote a book or story? song? this poem? television show? film? is it an old/well-known addage? Was it famously spoken? if so, in a speech? an interview?

are the words "No man" included in the quotation? please rephrase
Evariste Galois (Galois)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are the words "no, man" included in the quotation?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are the words "no, man" included in the quotation? please rephrase
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, i meant are the words "no man..." included in the relevant line or lyric of the song? (following up on the earlier question about it being something like "no man has ever.." or "no man wants.." etc.)

is the relevant song from the past 10 years? 20? 40? 100? Is it 'traditional' (could i record it without paying royalties)? Was it played on the radio? Is it from a musical? Performed by an orchestra? A band? A solo artist?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, i meant are the words "no man..." included in the relevant line or lyric of the song? Oh, all right. The reason I keep saying "please rephrase" is that the words "no" and "man" both appear in the relevant lyric, but the phrase "no man" does not (following up on the earlier question about it being something like "no man has ever.." or "no man wants.." etc.)

is the relevant song from the past 10 years? 20? 40? 100? no to allIs it 'traditional' If by this you are asking if the author of the song is unknown, the answer is no, but... (could i record it without paying royalties)? ...I believe that you could Was it played on the radio? It has been Is it from a musical? no Performed by an orchestra? orchestras have played it A band? so have bands A solo artist? and so have solo artists