[Nimue] Canadian Surprises Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Nimue] Canadian Surprises « Previous Next »

Felicia Nimue Ackerman (Nimue)
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

During her first year in Canada, Zara received a very unpleasant surprise. "What a fool I was not to have anticipated this," she said to herself, "but at least I know things will get much better...but then get worse again, then better, then worse. . . " How come??
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is Zara an adult? a child? teenager? elderly woman? relevant?

is it relevant where she was living before she moved to Canada? was it the US? could it have been anywhere? could it have only been one place?

could she have got the same surprise if she had stayed where she was before? copuld she have got the same surprise if this was her first year in a country other than Canada? any other country? only a few?

is her nationality relevant? USian? is her race relevant? her job? her hobbies? her politics? her health? her family relationships? her romantic relationships? her birthdays?

will things 'get better' in minutes? hours? days? months? years? will they then get worse again after the same time period? is something cyclical happening?

are the seasons relevant?

uthe unpleasant surprise - involving money? legal issues? personal relationships? employment? education? the way she was treated by others? anything to do with the weather? the physical environment? where she lived?

is transportation relevant?

was something different to her expectations? did she find she could not do something she had expected to?
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 09:36 pm:

is Zara an adult? a child? teenager? elderly woman? relevant? Could be any of these except a very young child

is it relevant where she was living before she moved to Canada? yes was it the US? no could it have
been anywhere? no could it have only been one place? yope

could she have got the same surprise if she had stayed where she was before? no copuld she
have got the same surprise if this was her first year in a country other than Canada? yes any other
country? yes only a few?no

is her nationality relevant? yope USian? no is her race relevant? no her job? no her hobbies? no her politics? no her
health? no her family relationships? no her romantic relationships? no her birthdays? no

will things 'get better' in minutes? no hours? no days? no months? possibly years? yes will they then get worse again
after the same time period? yes is something cyclical happening? yes

are the seasons relevant? yes

uthe unpleasant surprise - involving money? no legal issues? yope personal relationships? no
employment? no education? no the way she was treated by others? no anything to do with the weather? no
the physical environment? yes where she lived? yes

is transportation relevant? no

was something different to her expectations? yes did she find she could not do something she had
expected to? yes
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is relevant where she came from correct? should we identify the exact country? the town? the type of terrain she was used to? the altitude she was used to?

the country she came from - in Europe? Africa? South America? Australasia? Asia? was it the UK?

the thing she could not do that she had expected to 'X' - was it something she could do in her previous place? was it something she couldn't do before but was hoping to do in Canada?

is housing relevant? owning land? recreation?

had she misunderstood something?

was X something that other people could do in Canada? was she unusual in not being able to do it? could people who had always lived in Canada do it? was it forbidden in Canada? impossible? difficult? too expensive?
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

it is relevant where she came from correct? no should we identify the exact country? no the town? no the
type of terrain she was used to? no the altitude she was used tono

the country she came from - in Europe? no Africa? possibly South America? unlikely Australasia? unlikely Asia? possibly was it the
UK? no

the thing she could not do that she had expected to 'X' - was it something she could do in her
previous place? yes was it something she couldn't do before but was hoping to do in Canada? no

is housing relevant? no owning land? no recreation? no

had she misunderstood something? no

was X something that other people could do in Canada? yes was she unusual in not being able to
do it? yes could people who had always lived in Canada do it? some was it forbidden in Canada? yope
impossible? yope difficult? no too expensive? no
Brian Pamandanan (Sciguy47)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it have happened if she moved to the US?
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Brian Pamandanan (Sciguy47) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:30 am:

Could it have happened if she moved to the US? yes
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she see snow for the first time? I did just a few years back, coming from southern India. Had more than enough of it since then though. Now happy to be in Cali :-)
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which season is relevant? Summer? Winter? Autumn? Spring?

is it relevant where she was living before she moved to Canada? yes
it is relevant where she came from correct? no

Please clarify:
Is it relevant where she was living before she came to Canada?
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the relevance of where she was living before she came to Canada - should we be looking for the type of society that she was living in? was she living in a 'primitive' society? without 'modern amenities'? was she living in a 'closed' community of some sort? a prison?

Was X against the law for her in Canada during her first year? something the authorities would stop her doing? something society would stop her doing? something her own belief system would stop her doing? something she was physically incapable of doing?

does she have any relevant disabilities? is her physical appearance relevant? could this situation arise in a male?

are legal documents relevant here?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But Jun, we have snow here, it's just more on the optional side. :O I haven't looked, but there could be a dusting on Mt. Hamilton even now--I can remember in my teens driving up Montebello road (up by Steven's Creek resevoir, source of the creek that runs through my backyard) and loading snow onto the top of the family station wagon. And it snowed in Cupertino back in 1975--must've gotten nearly a quarter inch. There was easily enough to build snowmen--one of 'em was at least, gosh, must've been near-on 10 inches tall...of course, that used up all the snow in a 1600-square-foot area.

Latitude/longitude relevant? If she'd moved to any part of the US would she experience the same cycle?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What the heck, I'll throw out a long shot...

Hunting relevant? Fishing? Astronomy?
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, okay! I did see quite a bit of snow north of the Golden Gate just a couple of weeks back...Wouldn't mind some actually, especially instead of the cold irritating rain around. May be just my imagination, but I feel Cupertino does get colder than up here in Sunnyvale - especially around deAnza college :-)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, having grown up in Sunnyvale (Homestead high school is on the Cupertino side of Homestead road, but it's Sunnyvale on the other side) and living about a mile from DeAnza now, I don't think there's a huge difference, but my house seems colder than others I've lived in (even though it's better insulated and has better windows). It might be because we're down in the gully with the creek, though.
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 02:10 am:

Did she see snow for the first time? no I did just a few years back, coming from southern India. Had
more than enough of it since then though. Now happy to be in Cali :-) Interesting

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:09 am:

Which season is relevant? Summer? yes Winter? yes Autumn? less so Spring? ditto

is it relevant where she was living before she moved to Canada? yes
it is relevant where she came from correct? no

Please clarify:
Is it relevant where she was living before she came to Canada? yes

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:21 am:

the relevance of where she was living before she came to Canada - should we be looking for
the type of society that she was living in? no was she living in a 'primitive' society? without 'modern
amenities'?irrel was she living in a 'closed' community of some sort? no a prison? no

Was X against the law for her in Canada during her first year? yope something the authorities would
stop her doing? noish something society would stop her doing? noish something her own belief system
would stop her doing? yes something she was physically incapable of doing? no

does she have any relevant disabilities? no is her physical appearance relevant? yope could this
situation arise in a male? yes

are legal documents relevant here? no
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPERRR ALERTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is relevant where she came from correct? no tha answer should be yes
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Latitude yes/longitude no relevant? If she'd moved to any part of the US would she experience the
same cycle? yes but less so

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

What the heck, I'll throw out a long shot...

Hunting relevant? no Fishing? no Astronomy? yope
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she live on the equator before?

will things improve in the summer? winter?

is day length relevant? the thing she wants to do but can't - is it related to whether it is dark outside? has she been used to equal day lengths? then realised in Canada that winter days are shorter and summer days are longer?
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:56 pm:

did she live on the equator before? well, much closer to it

will things improve in the summer? no winter? yes

is day length relevant? YES!!!! Clever Hannah makes headway again!!the thing she wants to do but can't - is it related to whether it is dark
outside? yes has she been used to equal day lengths? yes then realised in Canada that winter days are
shorter and summer days are longer? yes
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is her religion relevant? fasting? religious laws?
the thing she wants to do - can she do it if it is dark outside? if it is light outside?
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not 'Clever Hannah' at all this time Felicia Nimue - it's 'Clever Tim' - where did the leap to astronomy come from?! That's what made me think of day length..

is her religion relevant? religious laws? fasting? modesty issues?

the thing she wants to do - can she do it when it is dark outiside? when it is light?
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How strange - I thought I had posted at 8.25 but it didn't show up on my computer. Then I reposted and the original one appeared... spooky!
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she plan a display of fireworks at 7 in the evening on summer solstice day?
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it involve driving a car that has broken headlights?
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:25 am:

is her religion relevant? yes fasting? yes religious laws? yes
the thing she wants to do - can she do it if it is dark outside? yes if it is light outside? no Oh, dear, here I thought this would be a hard puzle, but clever Hannah seems to be making short shrift of it :(:(:(:(

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:34 am:

Not 'Clever Hannah' at all this time Felicia Nimue - it's 'Clever Tim' - where did the leap to astronomy
come from?! That's what made me think of day length.. Well, you're BOTH clever

is her religion relevant? yes religious laws? yes fasting? yes modesty issues? no

the thing she wants to do - can she do it when it is dark outiside? yes when it is light? no

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:35 am:

How strange - I thought I had posted at 8.25 but it didn't show up on my computer. Then I reposted
and the original one appeared... spooky!

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

Did she plan a display of fireworks at 7 in the evening on summer solstice day? no

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:49 am:

Did it involve driving a car that has broken headlights? no
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure of the exact rules here...

is she a muslim? and can't eat during daylight during Ramadan? so she doesn't like it when the days are longer? because she has to fast for longer?
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 07:00 pm:

I'm not sure of the exact rules here...

is she a muslim? yes and can't eat during daylight during Ramadan? yes so she doesn't like it when
the days are longer? yes because she has to fast for longer? yes
********* SPOILER**** Greetings from my valley of humiliation, in which I've landed after posting another esay puzzle. Zara, is a Muslim who fasys during the daylight hours during Ramadan. Muslims use a lunar calendar so Ramadan falls in different seasons in different years. This didn't much matter to Zara when she lived in Egypt, which is close to the equator. But during her first year in Canada, Ramadan fell in the summer, giving her a long fast :(:(. Then Ramadan fell in the wointer, gicving her a short one.:):) But then. . .

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: