Archive through January 13, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [woubit] No bananas » Archive through January 13, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They must have found a cure.
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They discovered a cure? Or a cure had been lost prior to them finding it? (One never knows with you...)

"They" - people? Doctors?
The cure - for a disease? A medical condition? A psychiatric condition? A non-health related problem?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By (Stuccosalt) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:46 pm:

They discovered a cure? this one Or a cure had been lost prior to them finding it? (One never knows with you...thank you (I think :)))

"They" - people? yes Doctors? no
The cure - for a disease? A medical condition? A psychiatric condition? this one A non-health related problem?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As always, looks to be full of intrigue...

Were 'they' conducting any type of research?
If so, was it for this condition?
Does the cure affect some action? Some way of thinking? A way of speaking? A chemical imbalance?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:53 pm:

Were 'they' conducting any type of research? they are researchers, but the conclusion that they must have found a cure is unrelated to any particular aspect of their research
If so, was it for this condition? among other things
Does the cure affect some action? Some way of thinking? this is closest A way of speaking? A chemical imbalance?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Email sent--just a WAG, mind you...
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woubit, before I read your replies to the questions above I thought this puzzle could be about an article I just read stating that curry might help stave off Alzheimer's - India has among the lowest incidence of the disease in the world.. and I seem to recall you having a penchant for curry.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 03:16 pm:

Email sent--just a WAG, mind you... Have checked it and replied to it

By (Stuccosalt) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 03:19 pm:

Woubit, before I read your replies to the questions above I thought this puzzle could be about an article I just read stating that curry might help stave off Alzheimer's - India has among the lowest incidence of the disease in the world.. and I seem to recall you having a penchant for curry. Indeed. I certainly hope they don't find a cure for curry :)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the 'cure' similar at all to a paradigm shift?
Would the 'cure' affect a few people? Many?
Is the psychiatric condition....
stupidity?
clumsiness?
fear/phobia?
paranoia?
schizophrenia?
ADD/ADHD?
something else?
a clinically diagnosed condition?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 04:38 pm:

Is the 'cure' similar at all to a paradigm shift? not really
Would the 'cure' affect a few people? Many? it would, in theory, affect all sufferers from the illness in question
Is the psychiatric condition....
stupidity?
clumsiness?
fear/phobia?
paranoia?
schizophrenia? this one - well done :)
ADD/ADHD?
something else?
a clinically diagnosed condition?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Alzheimer's - India has among the lowest incidence of the disease in the world"
On the other hand I think you'll find that they have more than their fair share of Gastro-intestinal disorders.

Does this have anything to do with the fallacy that schizophrenia involves a "split" personality / mind
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 06:16 pm:

Does this have anything to do with the fallacy that schizophrenia involves a "split" personality / mind yes
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"On the other hand I think you'll find that they have more than their fair share of Gastro-intestinal disorders".
You bet. And high cholesterol too.

Do you surmise that they must have found a cure, or is your conclusion based on a directly stated fact?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And high cholesterol too"
Yes, I should have mentioned the high morbidity for cardio-vascular disorders. That can be blamed on all the gee. The yoghurt and coconut don't help either.

Bannana splits relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or Banana splits - even?
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Indeed. I certainly hope they don't find a cure for curry"
But they have. In America they call it the Caesar salad...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After all that curry I don't have any room for the bananas. Best leave them for supper :-)
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with the debate as to whether schizophrenia really exists? Anything to do with the structure of the brain or studies of the condition?
Were the researchers in a completely unrelated field? Did they make some comment leading you to the puzzle statement?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newspaper headline something like:
"All splits in Mental Health have been resolved"?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "they" aware that they have found a cure for schizophrenia? Is anyone else (other than the people reading this puzzle) aware that they have found a cure for schizophrenia?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 06:52 pm:

Do you surmise that they must have found a cure, or is your conclusion based on a directly stated fact? this one

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:13 pm:

Bannana splits relevant? no, not really, except to "explain" the title :)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:13 pm:

Or Banana splits - even? even so

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:18 pm:

But they have. In America they call it the Caesar salad... are you sure they don't call it the Cesar salad? THey have a habit of not being able to spell, you know,

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:25 pm:

After all that curry I don't have any room for the bananas. Best leave them for supper :-) you'll stay at the table until you've eaten them, young man

By (Stuccosalt) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:32 pm:

Does this have to do with the debate as to whether schizophrenia really exists? no Anything to do with the structure of the brain or studies of the condition? nothing like this
Were the researchers in a completely unrelated field? no - they are studying psychology (I know this isn't the same as psychiatry, but ti isn't completely unrelated Did they make some comment leading you to the puzzle statement? no

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:54 pm:

Newspaper headline something like:
"All splits in Mental Health have been resolved"? no, but a most ingenious notion :)

By Tony (E20) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:53 pm:

Are "they" aware that they have found a cure for schizophrenia? probably not Is anyone else (other than the people reading this puzzle) aware that they have found a cure for schizophrenia? no
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"you'll stay at the table until you've eaten them, young man" - are you sure such statements aren't a so far underestimated source of schizophrenia ?

So did they really find the cure?