Archive through January 14, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [woubit] No bananas » Archive through January 14, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Alizon (Alizon) on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:55 pm:

So did they really find the cure? one would assume so, from the fact on which this rather silly puzzle is based
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No bananas
No banana splits
No one going bananas
Yes, we have no bananas

Did you pick up this idea from a news article?
From "Bananas Psychology Weekly"?
Was something worded in such a way to make it imply that schizophrenia would be no more?

Was the word "split" used?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:29 am:

No bananas
No banana splits
No one going bananas
Yes, we have no bananas bananas are not relevant to the solution of the puzzle, though you are at liberty to continue this entertaining list of expressions :)

Did you pick up this idea from a news article? yesish
From "Bananas Psychology Weekly"? no
Was something worded in such a way to make it imply that schizophrenia would be no more? not really, but...

Was the word "split" used? no
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a medical article?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:26 am:

Was it a medical article? no
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the researchers work in the area of science? Did the news item/ article mean to say anything about schizophrenia at all? Is that only your interpretation?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:03 am:

Did the researchers work in the area of science? The researchers about whom the article was written are psychologists. Whether or not this is a science is left as an exercise for the reader. The article I read was not written by a scientist, but by a journalist. Did the news item/ article mean to say anything about schizophrenia at all? no Is that only your interpretation? yes
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Insomnia? Or is Friday off?
Did they talk about multiple personality disorders? Are you saying this based on the heading? on the content of the article?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:14 am:

Insomnia? this one Or is Friday off?

Did they talk about multiple personality disorders? no Are you saying this based on the heading? on the content of the article? this one
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they claim to have found a cure for something?
Would it help to get the main topic of discussion of the news item?
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nature's supposed to require just five, right? I should be wicked; no maybe just lazy...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:29 am:

Did they claim to have found a cure for something? no
Would it help to get the main topic of discussion of the news item? yes
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the article involve
- humans and only humans?
- people with mental disorders? only mentally healthy people?
- statistical data to show some result?
- a main conclusion?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:43 am:

Did the article involve
- humans and only humans? yes
- people with mental disorders? no only mentally healthy people? this is not specified, but one assumes so
- statistical data yes to show some result? no
- a main conclusion? no
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say schizophrenia, do you mean split-personality? Or have they found a cure for other symptoms?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:24 am:

When you say schizophrenia, do you mean split-personality? that is what I mean (Simon describes this as a "fallacy", and I am sure he knows more than I do about it :) But for the purposes of this puzzle, "split personality" is the definition being used, with apologies) Or have they found a cure for other symptoms? no
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't think any more (not that I could in the first place). I'm off to sleep. Is this cure - medicine for something else? a food item/ drink? An activity?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun Rangarajan (Jun) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:37 am:

Is this cure - medicine for something else? no a food item/ drink? no An activity? no. Sleep well :)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the 'cure' actually a medical procedure or medicinal application?

I'm getting the idea that your conclusion that a cure has been found was basically a humourous reaction to some information contained in the news article.

Did your conclusion about a cure come moreso from the presence of information in the article? Or the absence of information from the article?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:50 pm:

Is the 'cure' actually a medical procedure or medicinal application? neither

I'm getting the idea that your conclusion that a cure has been found was basically a humourous reaction to some information contained in the news article. exactly so :)

Did your conclusion about a cure come moreso from the presence of information in the article? this one Or the absence of information from the article?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So according to your previous responses, the article provided statistics about mentally healthy people?
Did the article mention any mental problems?

Does your conclusion about a cure come from your idea of schizophrenia as a condition involving a split personality? OR do you define it as the hearing of 'voices'?

Is it helpful or relevant to know exactly how you personally define the condition?

Did the article seem to, in some way, indicate that schizophrenia no longer exists?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

So according to your previous responses, the article provided statistics about mentally healthy people? precisely
Did the article mention any mental problems? no

Does your conclusion about a cure come from your idea of schizophrenia as a condition involving a split personality? yes OR do you define it as the hearing of 'voices'? no - I was not aware that this was a possible definition. BUt I am afraid I don't know very much about the subject at all - apologies for vague or fallacious answers.

Is it helpful or relevant to know exactly how you personally define the condition? the phrase "split personality" is the one on which the solution to the puzzle depends; I would not myself presume to "define" the condition at all, since I am not qualified to do so.

Did the article seem to, in some way, indicate that schizophrenia no longer exists? no