Archive through January 22, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » {Alizon} Nosey, nosey.... » Archive through January 22, 2005 « Previous Next »

Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can he fly?
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can Tom become invisible?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can he fly? can Tom become invisible? no to both. It was not as unusual as that. Let us say that he had reached an unusual degree of perfection in a certain ability
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He can recite the alphabet REALLY FAST?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He can recite the alphabet REALLY FAST? It was possible that he could recite the alphabet REALLY REALLY fast and sometimes even backwards, but I am sorry to say this was not the relevant quality
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He could do a backflip?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He could do a backflip? I doubt it, although it is not totally impossible. However, it is completely irrelevant.
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I keep trying to figure out what his ability was?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I keep trying to figure out what his ability was? YES! But if I were you, I would concentrate on something less eccentric.

HINT: Perhaps you might consider which period we are talking about.
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was a master warrior?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was a master warrior? No. but you are very close.
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A veteran horseman? An experienced archer?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A veteran horseman? An experienced archer? Neither, but you are very close again.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a Swordsman?
A Martial Arts expert?

Any chance of a recap?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Tom a guillotine operator?
Was Bill going to be beheaded?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a Swordsman? YES
A Martial Arts expert? no

Any chance of a recap? Sure, some time later today

Was Tom a guillotine operator? no
Was Bill going to be beheaded? no
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, here goes the

RECAP>

The puzzle is set in 1714, but the general period is relevant more than the exact date. It happened in France, but again let us say that it could have happened anywhere in Western or Central Europe. About 22 persons are involved, who can be, in a very broad sense, categorised into two different groups. They were probably Catholics, which is only very slightly relevant. All of them are males.

One of the above persons, whom we named Bill, was supposed to be praying but was prying instead. The prying consisted in trying to learn something specific about the appearance of 20 persons to whom we gave an aggregate name of Bob as none of them is relevant individually, yesishly invading their privacy. The investigation might possibly, but not necessarily, have involved opening something.

The investigation led to much better results than if Bill had been praying instead.

Then there is a third man we know by name Tom, who is an excellent swordsman.

None of the persons are famous today but in their time, they were not completely unknown. I would say that even somewhat famous for some specific reason. Their exact identity is not so important.
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better results - for Bill? For other person(s)? For a group? A country? A religious group? The world in general? A midget on a block of ice?

Do I need to have any sort of religious knowledge for this puzzle?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better results - for Bill? yes For other person(s)? For a group? A country? A religious group? The world in general? A midget on a block of ice? no to these, although the midget might accidentally choke on a piece of albatross. However, this is not relevant

Do I need to have any sort of religious knowledge for this puzzle? I do not think you need anything exceeding common knowledge
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay! I thought you'd gone, I was so bored. Oh and keep up, it's the suba diver eating albatross! :)

Could any of the Bobs have been women? Children? Did all the Bobs share a particular aspect of their appearance that Bill was interested in? If yes was it above the neck? Above the waist? Above the knees? Spanning more than one of the above?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Katy:

Could any of the Bobs have been women? no Children? no Did all the Bobs share a particular aspect of their appearance that Bill was interested in? yes If yes was above the neck? Above the waist? this one Above the knees? Spanning more than one of the above? no
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it an item of clothing? Armour? Of religious significance?