Archive through January 27, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Beroean] Another Bourbon Sir? » Archive through January 27, 2005 « Previous Next »

Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any puns? Did the phrase have just one meaning?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any puns? No
Did the phrase have just one meaning? Yes
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the phrase suggest that
- he had no shame?
- had no control?
- didnt know how to behave socially?
- was a drunkard?
- didn't know his limits?
- something else?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it express indignation? was the person making the remark in control of him/herself?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arjun
Does the phrase suggest that
- he had no shame? no
- had no control? no
- didnt know how to behave socially? no
- was a drunkard? no
- didn't know his limits? no
- something else? no

To your earlier question I suppose you could say that the phrase does have two meanings but this isn't that helpful but it still may help.

Alizon
Did it express indignation? Probably yes, as well as surprise, shock and dismay.
was the person making the remark in control of him/herself? Yes
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another Adjustment

Does the phrase suggest something else?
Yes
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint

I think it very likely that Alizon has used the expression herself. I am not sure if Arjun has used it. I am uncertain if it is used in America but I do suspect that it is.

time for me to get some zzzz's - see you tomorrow
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a standard expression of shock? Would it be followed by an '!' in writing? Is it of the form 'Holy X!'? Do the two words in the phrase rhyme?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a standard expression of shock? Yes!
Would it be followed by an '!' in writing? Yes
Is it of the form 'Holy X!'? No - there is nothing contentious in the phrase
Do the two words in the phrase rhyme? No
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure you have some questions for tomorrow morning

Is it of the form 'by _____'? 'bloody _______' Does it mention heaven, God or mercy? Is one of the words a name?

Is it an English expression? From Latin? Greek?
Does the etymology involve any urination?
Is it an alliteration?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it "Shame?"
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arjun
Is it of the form 'by _____'? 'bloody _______' Does it mention heaven, God or mercy? No to all

Is one of the words a name? Yes!

Is it an English expression? Yes
From Latin? Greek? No
Does the etymology involve any urination? No
Is it an alliteration? No

Welcome back Fred!
Is it "Shame?" No
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP

This is a real life scenario that took place at an engagement party. The party was held by the parents of the bride to be to be, in their own home. The prospective husband turned up late and being very drunk proceeded to urinate in the fireplace.

The outcome was that the engagement / wedding was called off.

We donít know exactly what was said when the man urinated in the fireplace in front of his hosts but there is something very specific that would've been especially logical and apt. Your object is to discover exactly what the phrase is.

The phrase uttered contains 2 words and none of the words are foul or objectionable in any way at all (containing no relgious conotations). It is an exclamation that expresses dismay and contains a name.

It is known at least in the UK and quite possibly in America and elsewhere. There is only a slight clue in the title - not directly to the phrase but to the location of the scenario.
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Working from the recap - don't know what's been asked:

Is one word / Are both words:
English?
French?
German?
Spanish?
Italian?

Is the phrase an exlamation? a question? a statement?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one word / Are both words:
English? Both words are English
French?
German?
Spanish?
Italian?

Is the phrase an exlamation? Yes
a question? no
a statement? noish
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it very likely that Alizon has used the expression herself.

Have I indeed? In this puzzle, LTPF or in real life? If the latter, I must make it clear that we have no fireplace
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have I indeed? Well it's an educated guess. It might depend on which generation you belong too!)
In this puzzle, LTPF or in real life? Real Life

If the latter, I must make it clear that we have no fireplace I fully accept your defence :)
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the man's name important? Is it the same as the name in the phrase?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the man's name important? Yes!
Is it the same as the name in the phrase? Yes!
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grate, Scott?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grate, Scott? No (but good idea!) :)
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man's name Randy?

And thanks for the welcome back!