[Beroean] What do You Make of This?... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Beroean] What do You Make of This? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 28, 2005Simon Downham22 1-28-05  10:11 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything about wearing proper safety gear when skateboarding?

Is that thing under the chick a relevant object? Or just part of the chick?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it's an early bird, and the object is a worm. But it looks to me like its feet.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has a skateboard for feet?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the hen has got a helicopter rotor for a tail, so I don't see why not
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmm...good point.
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the big bird on top of they little bird? Is it squishing the little bird? Or is it just too late for me to see/think straight?
It the parent teaching the baby by demonstrating? Are there any sounds eminating from either of the birds? Is this a "tough love" kind of lesson (like, don't let bigger birds sit on you because it isn't fun :))?
Any play on words involved?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim
Anything about wearing proper safety gear when skateboarding? No :-)

Is that thing under the chick a relevant object? Yes
Or just part of the chick? This too

It has a skateboard for feet? looks that way but not actually so

David
Maybe it's an early bird, and the object is a worm. But it looks to me like its feet. Feet it is
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teaching it to stand on its own two skateboardsfeet?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she trying to teach it to stand on its own two feet?
David Burn (Woubit)

And now in stereo...
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jinx indeed.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eliot
Is the big bird on top of they little bird? partly
Is it squishing the little bird? no but explore
Or is it just too late for me to see/think straight? no - you are doing well

It the parent teaching the baby by demonstrating? sort of - explore
Are there any sounds eminating from either of the birds? Quite likely
Is this a "tough love" kind of lesson Yes
(like, don't let bigger birds sit on you because it isn't fun )? No
Any play on words involved? No
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess we were wrong, Tim. Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teaching it to stand on its own two skateboardsfeet? not that I know of

Is she trying to teach it to stand on its own two feet? Getting warm - but it is not what she is teaching as to what is happening
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having dismissed the matter of skateboards, (although it is not immediately obvious) the Hen stood on the feet of her chick. It may be that this is something that chickens do?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Chick struggling to escape?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Chick struggling to escape? Possibly.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This illustration represents an "adage" familiar to a certain indiginous people.

The drawing shows a Hen with one of her chicks. The Hen is in the process of teaching the chick a lesson somehow and in doing so has stood upon the feet of the youngster. (I don't know if this is something that chickens do but it might be.)

The specific issue being taught is not relevant but the nature and tone of teaching is relevant. Try to work this out and see if you can find out what possible "saying" these people have for the scenario
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she stepping on its toes?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she stepping on its toes?

The answer doesn't actually say that but this is exactly the right idea! I guess "stepping on toes" is an english expression whereas the principle in question comes from Africa.

Can you develop your idea to suggest how "stepping on toes" relates to impressing important lessons upon the minds of youngsters?

Excellent Question!!
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something about keeping the bird in one place? Rudeness/manners? Does the concept involve using the chick's feet instead of it's own?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something about keeping the bird in one place? Rudeness/manners? It might be either of these but the specifics aren't what we need to find out

Does the concept involve using the chick's feet instead of it's own? No, it's more about Alizon's cliche of "stepping on toes" in relation to inculcating a lesson or more accurately ..
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with experience being the best lesson?

Golden rule relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with experience being the best lesson? Not really

Golden rule relevant? No

Hint: Do children always take heed?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Spare the feet and spoil the child?"

"Always buy a big enough skateboard for your mum to share?"
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Spare the feet rod and spoil the child?" captures the spirit of it entirely!

"Always buy a big enough skateboard for your mum to share?" Even better :-)

I can't beat those!
Solution will be forth coming later.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

******************** SPOILER *****************
This is an artist’s impression of Dref’s Aunt teaching him how to use a skateboard

This is the Akan Proverb, “ Akoko baatan tia ne ba so a, onku no. Also, Akoko baatan na onim dea ne mma bedi.”

The literal translation is “when the hen steps on the feet of her chicken, she does not mean to kill them.”

The underlying idea is that, parental admonition is not intended to harm the child, but to correct the child, demonstrating that discipline is a vital component of parental love

chicken

Symbol of Parental Care and Discipline

Tim’s “Spare the rod and spoil the child” seems directly related to this Akan proverb and it is interesting that the principle is very similar to that found in the Bible at
Proverbs 13: 24 and especially Proverbs 22:15

It is worth noting that in this context “the rod” is not a literal rod for beating but rather it is “the rod of discipline” used by parents as an aid to training their children.

The idea of parental discipline being a loving necessity is also found at Ephesians 6: 4 and Hebrews 12: 6

Any other thoughts?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, are you subtly coercing us to help further some research you have to do? :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:) LOL - No, No, honest.
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Bible quotes you mention are the only similar phrases I can recall of the top of my head. Sorry. :(

I feel so used. :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must admit, I had no idea that Fred looked like a chicken.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle, unfortunately I missed out on most of the work.

The 'turtle and fly' was hard to forget...has it really been that long ago?
Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gambling

http://destination-innovation.com/page.cfm?WebpageID=22

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: