Archive through January 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [Beroean] What do You Make of This? » Archive through January 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't that an alien? a mythological creature? my uncle?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it looked more like a sort of large squid-bird grabbing a smaller bird-bird.

Is this a rebus (note for USians: that's not the name of a country singer)?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent! A graphic puzzle! I have never done one before...

Is it a bird? A rooster (I mean, the big one)? Is the big one protecting the small one, or rather trying to harm it? Are the two birds (if they are birds), of the same species? If so, is there a parent-child relationship between them?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred
Isn't that an alien? No
a mythological creature? No
my uncle? YesNo

Tim
I thought it looked more like a sort of large squid-bird grabbing a smaller bird-bird.

Is this a rebus (note for USians: that's not the name of a country singer)? What's a Rebus?

Alizon
Excellent! A graphic puzzle! I have never done one before... :)

Is it a bird? Yes
A rooster (I mean, the big one)? Not quite
Is the big one protecting the small one, or rather trying to harm it? Not quite
Are the two birds (if they are birds), of the same species? Yes
If so, is there a parent-child relationship between them? Yes!
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rebus: A representation of words in the form of pictures or symbols, often presented as a puzzle.

Is the parent bird trying to help the baby bird learn to ride a skateboard? Or fly?

Is the parent bird carrying the baby?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they real birds or some mythologic representations? Indian symbols?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the little bird asleep?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim
Rebus: A representation of words in the form of pictures or symbols, often presented as a puzzle. Ahh, Yes it is (sort of)

Is the parent bird trying to help the baby bird learn to ride a skateboard? No :)
Or fly? No

Is the parent bird carrying the baby? No

Alizon
Are they real birds Yes (supposedly)
or some mythologic representations? No
Indian symbols? No

Fred
Is the little bird asleep? No
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They aren't buzzards, are they?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone posted a similar puzzle a while back involving a turtle and a tse-tse fly - I wonder if it was the same author...

Does the picture have something to do with parents training children?
Is there a parallel to human parent/child relationships?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David
They aren't buzzards, are they? Unfortunately not

Ixoye

Someone posted a similar puzzle a while back involving a turtle and a tse-tse fly What an excellent memory you have

I wonder if it was the same author... You wonder correctly!

Does the picture have something to do with parents training children? Yes

Is there a parallel to human parent/child relationships? Yes
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the parent trying to teach the young one something?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a chicken? hen? turkeys? relevant?

has the baby just recently hatched?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred
Is the parent trying to teach the young one something? Yes

Stuccers
is it a chicken? Yes
hen? Yes
turkeys?
relevant? Not necessarily. I guess it could be any bird but a Hen and chick were chosen and there may well be something in that

has the baby just recently hatched? No
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the chicken which crossed the road?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the chicken which crossed the road? No but I would like it to have been! :)
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the parent trying to teach the chick how to search for food?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the parent trying to teach the chick how to search for food? No but I can see why you ask

We don't actually know what specific lesson is being taught but it is enough to know that the Hen is trying to instill something
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the chick actually paying attention?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the chick actually paying attention? Possibly not and possibly relevant
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap
The illustration is represents an ethic proverb. The drawing is rather basic. You need to discover Exactly what is happening in the picture and then work out what the adage might be.

We know that there is a Hen trying to instil some lesson with her chick. (There is something more specific to be derived from the picture but it is not that clear in the illustration)