Archive through January 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [woubit] No, she went by aeroplane » Archive through January 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

Was the literary work a collection of poems? no fantasy fiction? it could be so described, yes

By Batman (Ashusharma) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:11 pm:

Is the person (who was made in Indonesia? no) a character in an author's work? yes
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the author by chance Spanish?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:17 pm:

Was the author by chance Spanish? by no chance whatever, I fear. Don Quixote was written in the 17th century, not the 19th, if that is what you were thinking of, but otherwise it was a good thought :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would one expect to find the work under the fantasy genre? Horror? Science Fiction? Mystery/thriller? Historical fiction?

Do we have a canononical list of European countries, protectorates etc. already established? Let's see, did the hero/protaganist/character come from Norway? Sweden? Denmark? Finland? France? Belgium? Germany? Spain? Portugal? Lichtenstein? Monaco? Poland? Russia? The Netherlands? Italy? Switzerland? Slovakia? Yugoslavia? One of the other slavic states I don't know the name of?

Is the character the hero of the story?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wups, left out Austria and Vatican City...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

Would one expect to find the work under the fantasy genre? perhaps Horror? this may be more likely Science Fiction? even this is possible Mystery/thriller? not really Historical fiction? no

Do we have a canononical list of European countries, protectorates etc. already established? Let's see, did the hero/protaganist/character come from Norway? Sweden? Denmark? Finland? France? Belgium? Germany? this one Spain? Portugal? Lichtenstein? Monaco? Poland? Russia? The Netherlands? Italy? Switzerland? Slovakia? Yugoslavia? One of the other slavic states I don't know the name of?

Is the character the hero of the story? yesish
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

Wups, left out Austria and Vatican City... and Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Andorra, Bosnia, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Ireland, Soctland, Wales, Greece, Hungary, the Ukraine, Slovenia and - criminally - the Faroe Islands. Apart from that, I'd say you did pretty well :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and Iceland
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hadn't really thought about Iceland being part of Europe, but that makes as much sense as (or more sense than) anywhere else would. I don't know if I could name all 50 states, and they're at least within 3000 miles of me.:O I hadn't thought of it before, but I suppose California might be near the geographical center of the US. And what about the Azores?

So the protaganist of a story written in Germany in the 1800s was inspired by some event or events in Indonesia? Or was the story written elsewhere but the protaganist is German?

Was it a single event? Is event a good word for the causal factor? Naturally-occuring?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I was thinking of something else, as I'm pretty sure Cervantes writing career ended with his death. ;)

Does the character die during the course of the story?

Was the author German as well?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:20 pm:

Does the character die during the course of the story? yes

Was the author German as well? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:16 pm:

And what about the Azores? they are technically an autonomous region of Portugal, not a country in their own right

So the protaganist of a story written in Germany the protagonist was German. The story was not writtn in Germany. in the 1800s was inspired by some event or events in Indonesia? not "inspired". But it would not have been written but for an event that occurred in Indonesia. Or was the story written elsewhere but the protaganist is German? see above

Was it a single event? yes Is event a good word for the causal factor? yes Naturally-occuring? yes
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the author British? Female?

Was the author in Indonesia at the time of the event?

Is it (the causal event) a recurring phenomenon? Weather related? Geological? Seasonal?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:45 pm:

Was the author British? yes Female? yes

Was the author in Indonesia at the time of the event? not unless Lake Geneva is in Indonesia, which I'm pretty sure it isn't :)

Is it (the causal event) a recurring phenomenon? not really Weather related? this was most certainly involved, but... Geological? ...this is what it actually was Seasonal? no
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the event a volcanic eruption?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

Was the event a volcanic eruption? indeed it was - well done :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well then, I think I know the author and protaganist, but I'm unclear on the connection to a volcanic eruption in Indonesia.

Was the eruption a factor in the popularity of the book? Or in it's publication somehow?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

Well then, I think I know the author and protaganist, well, I don't mind if you tell other people but I'm unclear on the connection to a volcanic eruption in Indonesia. that's why it's a puzzle :)

Was the eruption a factor in the popularity of the book? no Or in it's publication somehow? yes
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley? Frankenstein?

Was there some chain of events including or even starting with the eruption which led to the publication of the book?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

Ok, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley? Frankenstein? that, as they say, is the bunny

Was there some chain of events including or even starting with the eruption which led to the publication of the book? very much so
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The eruption of Krakatoa was indirectly the cause for Shelley to move to Geneva?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the famous gathering that Mary Shelley participated in at Lord Byrons villa relevant here?