[Bodo] Gesundheit! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2005 » [Bodo] Gesundheit! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 14, 2005Tim A. Dowd22 2-14-05  7:04 pm
Archive through February 15, 2005miroac22 2-15-05  12:22 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By miroac (Miroac) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:22 am:

Did she buy or obtain something else that the book was in, without knowing that the book was in it? No (same FA present). suitcase? bag? package?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she borrow the book from a library?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:07 am:

Did she borrow the book from a library? Yes! Once again, Fred swoops in with the answer--so can the rest of the scenario be pieced together now? As a hint, the specific allergen is mentioned in the puzzle statement.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am presuming that it is dust mites that she is allergic to, but more to the point this seems to confirm a mystery to which I have never really had a satisfactory answer - when I was growing up we were told to let the library know if the book had been in a household which had an infectious disease; I understood that the book would be destroyed. Somehow, over the years this ceased to be the practice. Do books/paper carry diseases or not? Is this why there are more people suffering from allergies? Is this why we have just as much or even more illness nowadays than before, despite advances in medicines and antibiotics? Curious minds would like answers :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 04:19 pm:

I am presuming that it is dust mites that she is allergic to, but more to the point this seems to confirm a mystery to which I have never really had a satisfactory answer - when I was growing up we were told to let the library know if the book had been in a household which had an infectious disease; I understood that the book would be destroyed. Somehow, over the years this ceased to be the practice. Do books/paper carry diseases or not? Is this why there are more people suffering from allergies? Is this why we have just as much or even more illness nowadays than before, despite advances in medicines and antibiotics? Curious minds would like answers :) Actually it wasn't the mites (well, to be scrupulously accurate, their poop) in this case--it's a completely made-up story on my part based on something that was happening with me on Sunday while I was reading a library book (no, I don't have allergies, but the book I was reading might set off someone who does if they check it out). I think one of the reasons we have "more" cases of certain things is that we've got better/more accurate diagnostics, but some of it could be due to better and more efficient communication and some due to a shrinking world, where people are exposed to things they used to wasn't. :O And you've made me think of The Velveteen Rabbit now...
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, didn't mean to swoop most of the puzzle. Thought I had just a bit, if that. :(
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:06 pm:

Sorry, didn't mean to swoop most of the puzzle. Thought I had just a bit, if that. :( Never mind that, finish it off, Swoopmeister. :O
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm actually not sure I know the complete answer...

Was the relevant factor a dog? wheat? bees?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

I'm actually not sure I know the complete answer...

Was the relevant factor a dog? wheat? bees? No to these--a little research should point you in the right direction...
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bookworms? :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dref (Dref) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:25 pm:

Bookworms? :) No, that's your puzzle. If you read my 4:39 response to Lynne and do a little poking around it shouldn't be too hard...
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cat hairs? or hairs of other animals?
anything that emanates from the book itself? lignine? paper dust?
Relevant what sort of book it was?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am still wondering as to why the change of library policy...:)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Jens Weber (Sundowner) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 01:50 am:

Cat hairs? Yes! And associated dander. or hairs of other animals?
anything that emanates from the book itself? lignine? paper dust? No to these.
Relevant what sort of book it was? No.

============================================================
By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:24 am:

I am still wondering as to why the change of library policy... :) I can't help you there, sorry. :O

**** SPOILER ****

Apparently Gwendolyn checked out a library book which had been previously checked out by a cat owner--for some reason this hadn't happened to her before, perhaps the cat-owning patron was new to the area. This person's cat found the stillness of a reading person quite ideal from a lap-sitting and attention-getting perspective; the result being that cat hairs and associated dander became insinuated into the book, which was next checked out by Gwendolyn.

Needless to say, she was rather careful to clean any books before reading them after that point.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was based on experiences with my own cat, who climbed into my lap while I was reading a library book and I found cat hairs sticking to it for the rest of the day. I would pet the cat then turn a page then pet the cat some more then turn a page...

Sometimes (if a lap isn't convenient--for example if I'm sitting at a table reading) she'll lie down right on top of the book instead.

It is, apparently, impossible for a cat to even consider that there might be something more important or interesting than itself.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose I'd rather borrow a book that had previously been read by a cat lover, as opposed to a nose picker. :-)
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, are you really certain she didn't buy the book? Just thought I'd check a 4th time. :)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again an enjoyable puzzle
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon: yuck.

Miroac: I suppose one could argue that her taxes paid for the book...

Ixoye: Thanks.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dagnabbit! I can't tell if it's a network problem here or what...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it's the thought that counts and I detect that plenty of thought went into it!!

Could you email it?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was just a little picture from the smiley collection--I was looking for a sort of "Yuck" smiley, but it was malfunctioning. Here's the one I was going for: yuck
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this one have done equally as well?

NP
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a limit of 10K for images on this forum. Those who contemplate with satisfaction the march of technology might like to consider what effect that limit could have had on, say, Raphael.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wondered why Raphael has never join the puzzle forum, but now I can see why!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: