Archive through December 20, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2005 » [Buzzard] A bubble in a baby's dream » Archive through December 20, 2004 « Previous Next »

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it necessary to identify a particular component of Pinafore to make progress? yes, for svv of "component"
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you said earlier that no particular song was relevant, so it can't be one of those. Any particular character? group of characters? part of the libretto? tune?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you said earlier that no particular song was relevant, so it can't be one of those. Any particular character? group of characters? part of the libretto? tune? none of these
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This "component", then, is not to be found by studying the text of "Pinafore"? nor the score?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This "component", then, is not to be found by studying the text of "Pinafore"? it could be, I suppose nor the score? but the score, without the text, would be of no use at all
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You seem to have asserted that: it is necessary to know something of the content of "HMS Pinafore" to make progress, but that this "something" cannot be known by studying the score without the text; and from what you have written above, you only "suppose" that it could be known by studying the text, which to an English speaker implies that it is more likely to be known in some other fashion. Is this correct? Is it possible to know something of the content of "HMS Pinafore" outwith the score and the text?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You seem to have asserted that: it is necessary to know something of the content of "HMS Pinafore" to make progress, but that this "something" cannot be known by studying the score without the text; and from what you have written above, you only "suppose" that it could be known by studying the text, which to an English speaker implies that it is more likely to be known in some other fashion. Is this correct? I do not know how likely it is, but on many occasions (including the one that this puzzle is about) this information is acquired through means other than a study of the text (or the score). Is it possible to know something of the content of "HMS Pinafore" outwith the score and the text? yes
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one knew nothing about the operetta "HMS Pinafore" other than that it existed, could one acquire this information?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, that was poorly phrased. Of course, if one knew that HMS Pinafore existed, one could acquire information about it that might or might not include the text and the score.

In order to make progress, is it sufficient to know that Gilbert and Sullivan wrote an opera called "HMS Pinafore" that has been elsewhere referred to as "infernal nonsense"?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In order to make progress, is it sufficient to know that Gilbert and Sullivan wrote an opera called "HMS Pinafore" that has been elsewhere referred to as "infernal nonsense"? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I think about it, is "What never? Well, hardly ever" relevant (wrt "A big big D" inter alia?)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I think about it, is "What never? Well, hardly ever" relevant (wrt "A big big D" inter alia?) no
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a bet relevant?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a bet relevant? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had they been anyone else's tapes, would this puzzle still work?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had they been anyone else's tapes, would this puzzle still work? yes, provided that certain other conditions still held
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had I been in the car instead of you, would this puzzle still work? Had I been in the car instead of your brother, would this puzzle still work?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had I been in the car instead of you, would this puzzle still work? possibly Had I been in the car instead of your brother, would this puzzle still work? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it necessary to hear Penzance before Pinafore for this puzzle to work? Or merely necessary to know that Pinafore is described in Penzance as "infernal nonsense"? If you had played my recording of Pinfaore, would the puzzle still work?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it necessary to hear Penzance before Pinafore for this puzzle to work? no Or merely necessary to know that Pinafore is described in Penzance as "infernal nonsense"? yes If you had played my recording of Pinfaore, would the puzzle still work? yes
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Pinafore had been described elsewhere than in Penzance as "infernal nonsense", would this puzzle still work? If you had played my recording of Penzance, would the puzzle still work?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Pinafore had been described elsewhere than in Penzance as "infernal nonsense", would this puzzle still work? yes If you had played my recording of Penzance, would the puzzle still work? yes