(Dref) I, Monster Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » (Dref) I, Monster « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 18, 2005Fred Z22 2-18-05  5:10 am
Archive through February 23, 2005Simon Downham22 2-23-05  8:54 am
Archive through March 09, 2005Simon Downham22 3-09-05  9:09 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I got the spelling wrong - perhaps it should be Zuberckickonskeetaboordonian.
(Maybe Woubit will put me right on that one ;-)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is this correct:
Miriam was in love with Moses and they were due to get married on their native planet zuberchickonskeeterboorda. As it happened Miriam got cold feet and ran off to planet Earth. She was pursued by her groom who turned the hapless earthmen, Aaron, into a zuberchickonskeetboordaian. As soon as Miriam saw Aaron she had a change of heart and married Moses? Yes, although I guess I should say it did take a *few* minutes before she had her change of heart, but not too relevant. Also, I think we have created enough new phony planet names to fill several solar systems!

Do we need to get into Miriams mindset to understand her line of reasoning? no, if anything we need to get into Moses mindset as to why he needed Aaron's help}

Is it simply that seeing Aaron reminded her of her original aspirations and stopped her in her tracks, so that she relented? no

Is there some other element to the puzzle that we have not yet mentioned or seem to have ignored? yes :)

Is there anything in my statement at the top that misses out something vital? Yes, why did Moses seek Aaron's help - Brought to you by the Redundancy Redundancy Department.

Did Miriam think (after seeing Aaron) that she was still on planet zuberchickonskeeterboorda? no, and that last name is just going too far! ;)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

I think I got the spelling wrong - perhaps it should be Zuberckickonskeetaboordonian.
(Maybe Woubit will put me right on that one ;-) Well, it is his native language ;)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm as it is Woubit's native tongue, maybe I should get him to ask Moses what he was up to ;-)
Was there something special about Aaron that made Moses choose him?
Or was Aaron simply in the wrong place at the right time.. or should it be .. oh never mind - you get my drift.

I've been off from work with a bit of a cold and played thru Monkey Isle 3 again :-) I fixed it so I can play the whole game straight from the hard drive without using the CD's. I also managed to download the music from Monkey Isle 4 into MP3 format on my Hard Drive from the CD's :-)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm as it is Woubit's native tongue, maybe I should get him to ask Moses what he was up to ;-)
Was there something special about Aaron that made Moses choose him? noish
Or was Aaron simply in the wrong place at the right time.. or should it be .. oh never mind - you get my drift. yessish

I've been off from work with a bit of a cold and played thru Monkey Isle 3 again :-) I fixed it so I can play the whole game straight from the hard drive without using the CD's. I also managed to download the music from Monkey Isle 4 into MP3 format on my Hard Drive from the CD's :-) Good stuff, but don't overindulge or you'll see three headed monkeys in your sleep! ;)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, would this have worked with someone else other than Aaron?

With another man?
A Woman?
A child?
Was Miriam at any time aware of Aaron's true ID?

Was there any particular part of Aaron's makeup that was significant?
Or just his overall appearance?
Something other than appearance? eg smell / sound?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, would this have worked with someone else other than Aaron? yes

With another man? yes
A Woman? yes
A child? no
Was Miriam at any time aware of Aaron's true ID? no

Was there any particular part of Aaron's makeup that was significant? no
Or just his overall appearance? no
Something other than appearance? eg smell / sound? yup, his job
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron's job was relevant?
Did he have certain clothing or equipment that was relevant? i.e. something pertaining to his job?
Was he a zoo keeper?
Something to do with space travel?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron's job was relevant? yes
Did he have certain clothing or equipment that was relevant? i.e. something pertaining to his job? no
Was he a zoo keeper? no
Something to do with space travel? no
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have special skills
priviliges?
was he an acrobat?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have special skills? this, could mislead
privileges? no
was he an acrobat? no

One thing to point out, there was something special about the nature of Aarons reptile appearance that is quite relevant...
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Aaron appear to be a hit-reptile?

There isn't a Montague-Capulet thing going on is there?

Was she afraid that Aaron-as-reptile would do something to her? To Moses? To Earth? Which would be prevented if she were married (or at least affianced again)?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Aaron appear to be a hit-reptile? no

There isn't a Montague-Capulet thing going on is there? no

Was she afraid that Aaron-as-reptile would do something to her? yes To Moses? To Earth? Which would be prevented if she were married (or at least affianced again)? no to rest
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Aaron a Policeman?
Was she afraid of being arrested?

How about a dog catcher?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Aaron a Policeman? no, but close enough...he was a private eye
Was she afraid of being arrested? no

How about a dog catcher? no
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think she was being followed?
All the way from Zuberckickonskeetaboorda?
Then after a while she thought about it and said to herself, "he must really love me so much to go to the trouble and expense to have me followed all the way Zuberckickonskeetaboord"?

Or maybe she was in trouble with the law and thought she was being tracked by the Zuberckickonskeetaboordonian authorities and suddenly realisd that she wanted to settle down with a husband and start a family?

Could she tell that Aaron was a Private Eye?
If so, is it relevant how she could tell?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think she was being followed? no, but...
All the way from Zuberckickonskeetaboorda? no, and that name is just silly
Then after a while she thought about it and said to herself, "he must really love me so much to go to the trouble and expense to have me followed all the way Zuberckickonskeetaboord"? partly yessish, but chickens don't ride skateboards...in the Western Hemipshere...

Or maybe she was in trouble with the law and thought she was being tracked by the Zuberckickonskeetaboordonian authorities and suddenly realisd that she wanted to settle down with a husband and start a family? no

Could she tell that Aaron was a Private Eye? no
If so, is it relevant how she could tell?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apart from changing Aaron into a Zuberckickonskeetaboordoniion alien lizard thing, did he also give hiim instructions?

For example, did he say to Aaron look, track down that zubordian (short for Zuberckickonskeetaboordoniion) chick (without skateboard) and tell her that Moses loves her and come to back and marry him?

(Had Miriam changed herself into a human?)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apart from changing Aaron into a Zuberckickonskeetaboordoniion alien lizard thing, did he also give hiim instructions? nope

For example, did he say to Aaron look, track down that zubordian (short for Zuberckickonskeetaboordoniion) chick (without skateboard) and tell her that Moses loves her and come to back and marry him? NO, in fact he was very vague

(Had Miriam changed herself into a human?) YES
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Moses tell Aaron how he might recognise Miriam e.g. she has a tattoo on her left arm that says "I love Moses"?

So, did Moses find this human private eye and say to him, something like "track down my fiancee and here is how you might trace her blah blah .."? Then as soon as Aaron was on the case, Moses turned him into an a zubordian for dramatic effect so that when Miriam saw him, it would a psychological impact?

Did Moses turn himself into a human before approaching Aaron?

Where did you get this idea from - did you make it up?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Moses tell Aaron how he might recognize Miriam e.g. she has a tattoo on her left arm that says "I love Moses"? nope

So, did Moses find this human private eye and say to him, something like "track down my fiancée and here is how you might trace her blah blah .."? nope, in fact all he said was "I need you to find somebody" Then as soon as Aaron was on the case, Moses turned him into an a zubordian for dramatic effect so that when Miriam saw him, it would a psychological impact? no, actually there was nothing psychological about it, it was pure pragmatism

Did Moses turn himself into a human before approaching Aaron? yes

Where did you get this idea from - did you make it up? Convoluted as it is, I didn't come up with it, it's a short story I read in a anthology
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miriam realized that if she could be found on a miserable mud-ball like Earth she couldn't run away from her problems? Or that Moses cared enough to track her down even when she was all the way out in the donkey-end of nowhere?

Did Aaron know that Moses and Miriam were aliens? Did he appear to be an alien to everyone? Or just to another alien?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miriam realized that if she could be found on a miserable mud-ball like Earth she couldn't run away from her problems? no, and I'm rather found of the Earth myself Or that Moses cared enough to track her down even when she was all the way out in the donkey-end of nowhere? no, considering the nature of the universe, virtually everywhere is the "nowhere" of somewhere

Did Aaron know that Moses and Miriam were aliens? NO, not till the end Did he appear to be an alien to everyone? NO Or just to another alien? YES! explore, follow, pursue...etc
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...investigate, analyze, prod...

Did Moses expect the mere sight of another Ssnarklefarpp to cause a particular reaction in Miriam? One that would let him find her? Or one that would ultimately lead her back into the relationship?

Was the idea that Aaron would be running around all over the place and already knew how to function in 'ooman society, whereas Moses didn't and would stick out by his behavior (even if not by appearance)? And that Aaron's P. I. experience would help him in figuring out where Miriam mighta scampered to?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pursuit...PURRRRSUIT....

Did Moses expect the mere sight of another Ssnarklefarpp to cause a particular reaction in Miriam? YES One that would let him find her? And YES Or one that would ultimately lead her back into the relationship? and that too

Was the idea that Aaron would be running around all over the place and already knew how to function in 'ooman society, whereas Moses didn't and would stick out by his behavior (even if not by appearance)? no And that Aaron's P. I. experience would help him in figuring out where Miriam mighta scampered to? Moses thought that, but it was not true! ;)

Follow the thread from the first paragraph, and you could have this solved, my man.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moses suspects/knows that Miriam is on Earth masque...masker...pretending to be an 'ooman?

And he's trying to flush her out? Will he contact her and thus seal the breach in their tender romance through gentle and loving dialogue?

Does he expect her to go somewhere? Activate her Omnidirectionalmultispectrumssnarklefarppdetectoratifier™®? Phone home? Check her transport? Realize the error of her lonely exile?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moses suspects/knows that Miriam is on Earth masque...masker...pretending to be an 'ooman? yes

And he's trying to flush her out? yes Will he contact her and thus seal the breach in their tender romance through gentle and loving dialogue? yes

Does he expect her to go somewhere? Activate her Omnidirectionalmultispectrumssnarklefarppdetectoratifierô®? Phone home? Check her transport? Realize the error of her lonely exile? That is quite a mouthful but no to all, all he wants is the reaction to Aaron because...
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he following Aaron? And watching people's reaction to him? Because only a fellow Ssnarklefarppian should react in a particular way?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There you go! That is quite correct. The spoiler will arrive sometime later, as it could take some time to craft. But good job everyone, especially Tim and Simon for plodding along with this.
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**** SPOILER ****

One day Aaron, a private investigator, is visited by a strange man who wants him to find somebody. He is very vague as to the details so Aaron informs him he will be of no help. The man disagrees and touches Aaron with his hand which somehow "zaps" him.

When Aaron awakes he looks in a mirror and finds he is a reptile looking monster! He sneaks back to his apartment and is stunned when his girlfriend stops by and doesn't react to his strange appearance at all! Apparently, no-one else sees him as the reptile-monster.

Later he decides to see a shrink and the shrink informs him that he looks normal. Aaron is infuriated by this and emphatically reiterates that he is a monster! He even rips up a box of tissue paper with his "jaws" to prove it. The doctor tries to calm him but Aaron just flees.

Cops are now after him, so Aaron hides in a building. He then runs into a woman who is attending to a Xerox machine. The woman sees him and screams in terror because by this time the frazzled Aaron is quite frustrated and more than a bit annoyed so his posture is rather threating.

Just then his would be client enters the room. "You see? I told you can do it, didn't I?"

Aaron says, "Do what? What's this all about? What did you do to me?"

"Why, I just let you do your job! I let you find my poor missing Dreeth."

The man explains. "I knew it wouldn't be easy. I had to resort to unconventional methods, since I had no idea what humanoid form Dreeth would adapt. All I had to work from were the coordinates of her landfall on your planet."

"Dreeth is my intended mate you see. She was a scientist on my world. But she was terribly career minded, so she hesitated in Uniting with me, even though she admitted to a deep abiding affection."

At the point Dreeth joins the man ("Moses" and leans her head on his shoulder. "When she was faced with the Uniting time - you call it a wedding day - she decided to use a transporter device and flee to your planet and disguise herself in a humanoid form. With our technology this is quite easy. I followed her. But I quickly realized that only way to identify her is to do what I did. Only a native of our planet would recognize one of her own."

At this point "Moses" turn Aaron back into his regular form.

Dreeth tells "Moses, "It was a case of bridal jitters, and now I am ready to come home." She smiles, and both "Moses" and Dreeth return to their original forms. They then disappear, but not before Aaron overhears "Moses" tell her, "My God, you are beautiful!"
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the two Zubordonian Chameleons lived happily ever after whilst Aaron decides never again to watch the Twilight Zone.

Post script:
Six years later Aaron recieves a message all the way from the planet Zuborda, asking if he can recommend a suitable skateboard for a 5 year old Lizard.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it took 18 months just for the eggs to hatch...:O
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect there was a residual effect from the humanoid genes that Miriam generated, when she donned the human disguise on planet earth!

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miriam?

I can't make a link due to the commas in the address - you need to copy and paste

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13313217,00.html
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny. ;)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: