[Alizon] Another Wise Investment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2005 » [Alizon] Another Wise Investment « Previous Next »

Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lately, I have been quite generous indeed.

Ixoye, I hope you will forgive me for sort of borrowing the title of your recent puzzle (by the way, an excellent one) - but it was so tempting I just couldn't resist
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generous = as in giving of money? gifts? time?

Generous to family? friends? strangers?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generous = as in giving of money? no gifts? no time? yesish but it is not relevant in this case

Generous to family? yes friends? no strangers? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To parents? Children? Spice? Siblings? More distant relatives?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To parents? no Children? yes Spice? I beg your pardon? Siblings? no More distant relatives? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't mind at all, borrow away....

So, you are giving something to your children?
Spending time with them?
Providing them with a need? With a want?
Nourishing them? Nurturing them?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, you are giving something to your children? yes
Spending time with them? irrelevant-ish
Providing them with a need? yes With a want? irr
Nourishing them? yes Nurturing them? yes

I can see this one is going to be a quickie...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food involved?
Are you providing something tangible? intangible?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food involved? yes
Are you providing something tangible? strictly speaking, this oneintangible?
buzz visconti (Visconti)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the food involved:
healthy food?
specific brand?

investment involved:
is it an investment because it will financially benefit you in the immediate future? perhaps in the long run?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the food involved:
healthy food? I hope so
specific brand? in a sense, yes

investment involved:
is it an investment because it will financially no benefit you yes in the immediate future? yes perhaps in the long run? hopefully, yes
buzz visconti (Visconti)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you're giving your kid a healthy brand of food.

are you saying that you are giving your child(ren) healthy food to allow them to live longer? is that the investment?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

milk involved?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you're giving your kid a healthy brand of food. yesish

are you saying that you are giving your child(ren) healthy food to allow them to live longer? It is my deepest wish, however it is not the core of the puzzle is that the investment? and therefore, no

milk involved? yes, also

In fact, I am being generous only with one of my children. The other receives only what is strictly needed.
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you're giving your kid a healthy brand of food. yesish

are you saying that you are giving your child(ren) healthy food to allow them to live longer? It is my deepest wish, however it is not the core of the puzzle is that the investment? and therefore, no

milk involved? yes, also

In fact, I am being generous only with one of my children. The other one receives only what is strictly needed.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the manner in which the food is given to the child relevant?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the manner in which the food is given to the child relevant? yes for both
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old are these children?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old are these children?

No.1 - 22 months
No.2 - is due in October this year. Good question.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you are feeding one internally, and the other externally?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you are feeding one internally, and the other externally? exactly so.

Now it remains to find out towards which one of my children I am being generous and what form does this "generosity" take.
buzz visconti (Visconti)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"In fact, I am being generous only with one of my children. The other one receives only what is strictly needed."

the one that is internal (heh) is the one that is receiving what is strictly needed? am I wrong?

you are being generous to the external one, eh?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the one that is internal (heh) is the one that is receiving what is strictly needed? yes am I wrong? no, you're perfectly right

you are being generous to the external one, eh? exactly so - otherwise you could rightfully call me The Wicked Stepmother
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you let your 2 year old baby eat whatever/whenever/howmuchever food he/she wants, but you decide this for your -0.8 year old?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you let your 2 year old baby eat whatever/whenever/howmuchever food he/she wants, but you decide this for your -0.8 year old?

the point is that, besides letting my older baby eat as much as and whenever she wants, I am giving her a special kind of food - and once you discover what it is, you will have finished this puzzle.

As for the younger baby, I assume he/she takes whatever/whenever/howmuchever he/she wants without having to ask me at all

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Royal jelly?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Royal jelly? no, something even more precious
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something you buy? Or something that you... er, produce?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come to think of it, is this the investment of which Churchill spoke?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something you buy? no Or something that you... er, produce? yes!

Come to think of it, is this the investment of which Churchill spoke? do you mean the finest of all investments? if so, then yes
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, I will exit to the tigers - but maybe I have already spilled enough of the stew.

In either case, congratulations on the forthcoming arrival, and I hope that all will go well in October :)
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, I will too...Congratulations, and good luck!
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, very much, Woubit and Arjun - I will wait some more time for those who are not familiar with Churchill and then $poil.
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, ok, I'll do it then - pretty obvious from the hints above...

'DIY' milk?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll exit as well - hope all goes well on the arrival of the new baby. Children truly are a blessing from God, and they teach us more than we could ever teach them :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clear was the night, the moon was young,
The larkspurs in the plots
Mingled their orange with the gold
Of the forget-me-nots.

The poppies seemed a silver mist,
So darkly fell the gloom.
You scarce had guessed yon crimson streaks
Were buttercups in bloom.

But one thing moved: a little child
Crashed through the flower and fern,
And all my soul rose up to greet
The sage from whom I learn.

I looked into his awful eyes,
I waited his decree,
I made ingenious attempts
To sit upon his knee.

The babe upraised his wandering eyes,
And timidly he said
"A trend toward experiment
In modern minds is bred.

"I feel the urge to roam, to learn
By test, experience, nous
That fire is hot, and ocean deep,
And wolves carnivorous.

"My brain demands complexity!"
The lisping cherub cried.
I looked at him, and only said
"Go on. The world is wide."

A tear rolled down his pinafore;
"Yet from my life must pass
The simple love of sun and moon,
The old games in the grass.

"Now that my back is to my home,
Could these again be found?"
I looked on him, and only said
"Go on. The world is round.

G K Chesterton
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*****SPOILER*****
Of course you are right, Woubit, Arjun and Martin - I am still providing the "DIY milk“ (Martin, I appreciate your euphemism very much ) to my 22-month-old daughter, although, strictly spoken, it is not anymore a physical need for a child of this age.

WHO (the World Health Organization) recommends breastfeeding up to 2 years or beyond as it has many benefits for both the mother and the infant. It tightens the bond between the two, helps prevent allergies and protects the child against infectious and chronic diseases, and allegedly also increases the IQ by several points. And it helps develop a deeper sense for lateral thinking .

So, by the „generosity“ (although it is more a pleasure than anything else) of feeding two persons at a time (besides myself, of course), I am hoping to secure better health and both emotional and mental development for my girl and at the same time I am trying to do my best for the youngest member of our family who is expected with impatience and love.

Thank you all for participating and for the best wishes!
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And special thanks to Martin for finally spilling the milk, er, the secret.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: