Archive through February 09, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2005 » [miroac] Hail Caesar » Archive through February 09, 2005 « Previous Next »

Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius happy that Anthony was dead? sad? shocked - but neither happy nor sad?
Was Julius expecting to see somebody else's corpse? If he was not there to see a corpse, but was in the graveyard - was this to meet someone else? Cassius?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius happy that Anthony was dead? NO!!! sad? VERY shocked EXTREMELY - but neither happy nor sad? answered above
Was Julius expecting to see somebody else's corpse? YES!!!
If he was not there to see a corpse, but was in the graveyard - was this to meet someone else? His primary purpose in being there was not to see a corpse. He did expect to see a corpse, though... Cassius? YES!
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good, Arjun. We're rolling now.
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Cassius's corpse ever there in that place? Is it important where it is now? Did someone take it away?
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good, Arjun. We're rolling now.

Are we? I thought I was absolutely clueless...
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to be very technical here... by "that place", I'm taking it to mean "the graveyard" as opposed to "Anthony's grave." I may need a little more specifics.

Was Cassius's corpse ever there in that place? Yes Is it important where it is now? Yes, it is there now. Did someone take it away? No

Let me rehash this old question:

Are they [the other two men] present now? Yes, all of them are present now.

The place they are "present now" refers to the graveyard...
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we? I thought I was absolutely clueless...
Maybe this will help: We're pretty focused on the end of the story right now. There were events/situations/circumstances that let up to the current situation. Right now, the best leads we have to get back to those are the "professions" and "relationships" questions. There actually/really is a good explanation of what is going on here at the end, a little further back in time...
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did Julius end up in the wrong grave? Is it because -
The names of Anthony and Cassius are similar?
He got directions to the grave wrong?
Somebody else played a part?

Why is figuring out Anthony's profession important to the puzzle - is it because:
It helps us figure out why Julius is there to see Anthony?
It gives us an idea of the nature of relationships?

You said time-period was yessishly relevant - Could this happen today?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did Julius end up in the wrong grave? have to say FA Is it because -
The names of Anthony and Cassius are similar? No; their names are irrel
He got directions to the grave wrong? No
Somebody else played a part? Yes

Why is figuring out Anthony's profession important to the puzzle - is it because:
It helps us figure out why Julius is there to see Anthony? again, FA
It gives us an idea of the nature of relationships? Yes

You said time-period was yessishly relevant actually I think I said "No-ish" - Could this happen today? most likely, No, I believe. Good question. That is the answer to why I said "No-ish".
Arjun Rangarajan (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important how Cassius died? At the end of the incident there's only Brutus alive? Or does he die too?
So, Cassius dies first? Then Anthony, then Julius in that order? All of different reasons? None murder?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important how Cassius died? not really; let's just say it was a heart-attack or some other natural cause.
At the end of the incident there's only Brutus alive? Yes Or does he die too? No, he doesn't.
So, Cassius dies first? Yes
Then Anthony, then Julius in that order? Yes
All of different reasons? Cassius & Anthony: heart attacks. Julius: suffocation.
None murder? No, none
geekity (Geekity)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anthony died a couple of hours before the incident(Julius's death) right? When did Cassius die? Is this relevant? Few hours/days/months/years ago?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anthony died a couple of hours before the incident(Julius's death) right? Yes When did Cassius die? Is this relevant? Yes Few hours/days/months/years ago? a few hours before Anthony.
geekity (Geekity)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the noise that prevented Brutus from hearing Julius a natural sound? Was it the wind or a thunderstorm? Or was it a mechanical device? Was Brutus responsible for Anthony's corpse turning up in the wrong grave ? Not sure if this has been asked before.
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the noise that prevented Brutus from hearing Julius a natural sound? Yope, a natural sound caused by a human action.
Was it the wind or a thunderstorm? No Or was it a mechanical device? There could have been a mechanical device. This is kind of sketchy, and I guess irrel.
Let me say this-- this "noise" wasn't really so much a "noise" from Brutus's perspective, but to Julius, on the other hand...

Was Brutus responsible for Anthony's corpse turning up in the wrong grave? FA, No, Anthony's corpse wasn't in the wrong grave. Not sure if this has been asked before. I understand.
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try to revive this. We've almost got the present scenario solved, but
there is still a little more to solve yet, such as why all this is going on.
I could probably spoil soon.

pretty long *********** RECAP **************

The time period is "no-ish"ly relevant, meaning in my opinion this probably
wouldn't happen in a modern-day setting (though it could, I suppose).

The relevant characters are Julius, Anthony, Brutus, and Cassius, all human adult males. (Their actual named are irrel.)
Their relationships and professions are very relevant.

--- Were they employed? "they" weren't, but... (keep going)
Anthony's occupation is related to service.
The most important relationship is between Julius and Anthony. In a vague manner of speaking, you could say J & A are colleagues at work, but not in the traditional sense. They have most likely known each other months to years.
There is a relevant relationship between Anthony and Brutus, and a relevant "similarity relationship" (?) between Julius and Cassius.
The closest we've gotten to describing any of these relationships is service provider & client, but that's not exactly correct.

--- So did Anthony and Julius have the same/similar occupations? Anthony and Julius did not, but... (keep going)

Currently, right now, it is daytime.
Julius, Anthony, Brutus, and Cassius are all currently in a normal graveyard.
Julius does not see Brutus or Cassius.
Anthony died of natural causes [a heart-atttack, but irrel] several hours before this point in time. Julius didn't know this. Julius wasn't expecting Anthony to die as soon as he did. He was definitely NOT happy that Anthony was dead.
Cassius died of natural causes [a heart-atttack, but irrel] several hours before Anthony did.
Brutus is employed by someone to bury Anthony. He is burying Anthony in a normal grave, exactly where he is supposed to be burying him.
Julius is in this grave, though he is not there for the purpose of seeing Anthony.
Julius freaks out (is surprised, shocked, panicked, and frightened) when he sees Anthony's dead corpse. He was expecting to see Cassius's dead body.
Brutus purposefully closed the grave by throwing earth in. Brutus did not know Julius was in the grave.
Julius screams. Brutus is unable to hear him. There was a sound/noise (from Julius's perspective) that prevented Brutus from hearing him.
NEW HINT: There is another reason, apart from the sound, that Brutus could not hear Julius.
Julius concludes he is going to die. He eventually dies of suffocation.
In the end, only Brutus is still alive.
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius trying to fake his death?
Did he think Antony would get him out of the coffin before realizing A was dead?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius trying to fake his death? No
Did he think Antony would get him out of the coffin before realizing A was dead? YES! Good question.
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Anthony also supposed to come by to see Cassius's body?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius engaged in an escapologist activity?

Just to clarify the above - it was Anthony who was supposed to free Julius from the grave but he died beforehand?

Instead, Anthony is to be buried in the grave where Julius is currently residing?

We need to find out why Julius was expecting cassius to be buried in the grave where he is residing?

Is there anything criminal going on here?
Any deception?
Any practical joking?
miroac (Miroac)
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of these are actually really tough to answer...
Was Anthony also supposed to come by to see Cassius's body? thinking... technically, I would say No, but there's something else going on here.
Was Julius engaged in an escapologist activity? in the strictest sense of "escapologist", No, but very much OTRT.
Just to clarify the above - it was Anthony who was supposed to free Julius from the grave but he died beforehand? Yes.
Instead, Anthony is to be buried in the grave where Julius is currently residing? Yes.
We need to find out why Julius was expecting Cassius to be buried in the grave where he is residing? thinking... I think I should say Yes.
Is there anything criminal going on here? Yes.
Any deception? Yes.
Any practical joking? No
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Julius a magician? And Anthony his helper? Was any of them a magician?