Archive through February 25, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » [woubit] The happy sound of an English Sunday » Archive through February 25, 2005 « Previous Next »

dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it relevant which nation's army it refers to? what time period?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:40 pm:

Did somebody make a public gaffe yes by misidentifying troops? no Particular regiments relevant? no Somebody fly the wrong colours? no

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:40 pm:

Military bands playing in the park relevant? no

By dryman (Dryman) on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

is it relevant which nation's army it refers to? "it" doesn't specifically refer to any nation's army what time period? a few years ago, in 1987 to be precise
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the gaffer :) a politician? Somebody else in public life? A group of people?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 09:09 pm:

Was the gaffer a politician? no Somebody else in public life? yes A group of people? no
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This gaffer did this on a Sunday? Weekday? Morning? Midday? Afternoon? Evening? Night? Any relevance?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Einar Berg (Grainbeer) on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 05:54 pm:

This gaffer did this on a Sunday? Weekday? this one Morning? Midday? Afternoon? Evening? this one Night? Any relevance? yes
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I waited and waited in the queue but they said there were no refunds for non-sex-and-violence puzzles, so I figured I might as well ask questions anyhow.:O

There wasn't a branch of the armed forces actively involved in the puzzle--but the army was involved in some way?

And now I find myself thinking of David Niven for some reason (well, for a very particular reason)--I don't suppose he's at all relevant to the puzzle, is he (if not I might save that thought for my own puzzle)?

Does branch of the military refer to one of the main branches as listed by Dryman (or the UK equivalent if any)?

Was the gaffer a member of the military?

Military ranks/titles relevant? The marriage ceremony itself relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 01:43 am:

There wasn't a branch of the armed forces actively involved in the puzzle correct --but the army was involved in some way? also correct

And now I find myself thinking of David Niven for some reason (well, for a very particular reason)--I don't suppose he's at all relevant to the puzzle, is he (if not I might save that thought for my own puzzle)? David Niven is not relevant to the puzzle, but this is not far from the right forest

Does branch of the military refer to one of the main branches as listed by Dryman (or the UK equivalent if any)? there are two branhces of the military involved; the right one and the wrong one. The wrong one is the army, the other is an euqally well-known branch of the military, on both sides of (and indeed in the middle of) the Atlantic

Was the gaffer a member of the military? no

Military ranks/titles relevant? only peripherally The marriage ceremony itself relevant? no
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wrong branch was the army and the right one was the navy?

Did the gaffer identify the army in a situation in which the navy would've been correct?

The gaffer is a celebrity of some sort? An entertainer? Athlete? TV personage? Author?

Was the person speaking at a public event of some kind when the gaffe was made?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Military intelligence?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

The wrong branch was the army and the right one was the navy? exactly so

Did the gaffer identify the army in a situation in which the navy would've been correct? yes, very ish

The gaffer is a celebrity of some sort? well, his name is not very widely known at all, but he is... An entertainer? ...this one Athlete? TV personage? Author?

Was the person speaking at a public event of some kind when the gaffe was made? yes

By Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

Military intelligence? that well-known oxymoron. No, but good thinking :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he identify a particular person as being an army-type when said person was in fact an navy-type? A particular vehicle/vessel? Base/station/camp etc.? A particular WMD?

Is he more of a local celebrity? Or is his fame more of the "I recognize the voice but I don't know the name/face" variety (rearranging nouns to suit)?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:48 am:

Did he identify a particular person as being an army-type when said person was in fact an navy-type? no, but this is along the right lines A particular vehicle/vessel? Base/station/camp etc.? A particular WMD? nothing like those

Is he more of a local celebrity? he was fairly well known in a certain fairly obscur section of the performing arts Or is his fame more of the "I recognize the voice but I don't know the name/face" variety (rearranging nouns to suit)? not really
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he make the mistake in a performance? did he do it on purpose?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin) on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:49 pm:

Did he make the mistake in a performance? yes did he do it on purpose? awkward question. "noish" is about the best I can do.
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, is he a comedian? singer? some sort of poet / author / journalist? painter? actor?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin) on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

So, is he a comedian? singer? this one some sort of poet / author / journalist? painter? actor? and this one
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we need to identify him? Is cross-dressing relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin) on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

Do we need to identify him? no Is cross-dressing relevant? no
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "army" part of a song text?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin) on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

Is "army" part of a song text? no - there was no actual reference to "army"
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a reference to 'marines'?