[Brid] Special offer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Brid] Special offer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 30, 2005Birgitta Ericsson22 3-30-05  6:49 am
Archive through May 11, 2005Birgitta Ericsson22 5-11-05  6:37 am
Archive through May 29, 2005John Morahan22 5-29-05  12:46 pm
Archive through June 08, 2005LEWIS ZEITERS22 6-08-05  1:14 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she unable to provide evidence of her age?
Was she unable to go to the opticians?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:14 am:

was she missing her nose? ears? no to both

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:20 am:

Was she unable to provide evidence of her age? no
Was she unable to go to the opticians? noish; explore
LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about her physical condition is relevant?

hearing? vision? taste? touch? smell?

any disabilities relevant? i.e. missing limbs, old injuries, etc.

Did she actually pursue the opportunity and then die before she got to benefit from it?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters) on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:30 pm:

What about her physical condition is relevant?

hearing? vision? taste? touch? smell? none of these (except that we established that her vision would be helped by adequate glasses)

any disabilities relevant? yes i.e. missing limbs, old injuries but no to these
Did she actually pursue the opportunity and then die before she got to benefit from it? no
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were her current glasses so poor she could not read the notice on which the offer was printed?

Or...did one need a driver's license to prove one's age, and she had been banned from driving some years back?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she a quadriplegic?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suppose she'd had a friend who needed the glasses but didn't qualify for the offer. Is it likely she would have gone to the shop and bought a pair on behalf of her friend, just to be nice?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 01:30 am:

Were her current glasses so poor she could not read the notice on which the offer was printed? no, but...

Or...did one need a driver's license to prove one's age, and she had been banned from driving some years back? no, but there's something to this too

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:39 am:

was she a quadriplegic? no

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:49 pm:

Suppose she'd had a friend who needed the glasses but didn't qualify for the offer. Anyone qualified, but for the sake of the argument... Is it likely she would have gone to the shop and bought a pair on behalf of her friend, just to be nice? no, but not out of lack of niceness
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Her geographic location relevant? i.e. she lived in 'X', and the offer was located in 'Y', and she had no way of getting there?

Was she in Hawaii or Alaska, and the offer was only valid in the 48 contiguous states?

Was her physiological condition (health) relevant?

Some other physical condition (location, etc.) relevant?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

Her geographic location relevant? i.e. she lived in 'X', and the offer was located in 'Y', and she had no way of getting there? no

Was she in Hawaii or Alaska, and the offer was only valid in the 48 contiguous states? she lived (lives) in Sweden, and the offer was valid in Sweden

Was her physiological condition (health) relevant? yes

Some other physical condition (location, etc.) relevant? no
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I could read the wording of the offer, would that clear things up?
If I could meet the old lady, would that clear things up?
Even if I could only look at her, not talk to her?
If I could do both, would that clear things up?
Suppose someone got hold of a pair of discounted glasses and came to her place offering to sell them for the same price, would she have accepted?
If it had been an offer for contact lenses instead of glasses, would that change things?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:22 am:

If I could read the wording of the offer, would that clear things up? no
If I could meet the old lady, would that clear things up? probably
Even if I could only look at her, not talk to her? no
If I could do both, would that clear things up? probably
Suppose someone got hold of a pair of discounted glasses and came to her place offering to sell them for the same price, would she have accepted? possibly, probably not
If it had been an offer for contact lenses instead of glasses, would that change things? not in any relevant direction
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmh. Did the lady already have one or more pairs of glasses?
That she used and from which she got a benefit?
If someone gave the budget glasses to her for free, would she use them?
If someone forced her to use them, would she see better than without (provided the glasses were suitable for her to the maximum degree allowed by known and unknown conditions so far in the puzzle)?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:50 am:

Hmh. Did the lady already have one or more pairs of glasses? yes
That she used and from which she got a benefit? yes
If someone gave the budget glasses to her for free, would she use them? yes, but...
If someone forced her to use them, would she see better than without (provided the glasses were suitable for her to the maximum degree allowed by known and unknown conditions so far in the puzzle)? yes, but...
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If someone had ruined all her glasses, would she go buy one or more new pairs?
If so, would she go to another shop and pay more for the new glasses, rather than exploiting the discount?
Or would she go to the discount-shop but buy non-discounted glasses?
Or would she buy the discounted glasses?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 08:36 am:

If someone had ruined all her glasses, would she go buy one or more new pairs? hopefully, not certainly
If so, would she go to another shop and pay more for the new glasses, rather than exploiting the discount? no
Or would she go to the discount-shop but buy non-discounted glasses? probably not
Or would she buy the discounted glasses? possibly
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she have a normal mental capacity?
Is she dependent on one or more sets of glasses to do anything of what she does during a normal day?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

Does she have a normal mental capacity? no
Is she dependent on one or more sets of glasses to do anything of what she does during a normal day? yesish
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she not capable of comprehending the offer? or of reading? (pardon me if i've duplicated an earlier question...)
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:01 pm:

is she not capable of comprehending the offer? possibly or of reading? she can read (pardon me if i've duplicated an earlier question...) 's okay
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..or she doesn't have the ability to comprehend how good an offer it is, and therefore does not pursue it?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Altzheimer's disease relevant?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:37 pm:

..or she doesn't have the ability to comprehend how good an offer it is, and therefore does not pursue it? possibly

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 02:16 pm:

Alzheimer's disease relevant? or something like it, yes
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... she's not the full quid, so she passed up the offer because of that. She either didn't understand the offer, or forgot about it the moment after she'd heard about it? What else do we need to find out?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

So... she's not the full quid, so she passed up the offer because of that. She either didn't understand the offer, or forgot about it the moment after she'd heard about it? What else do we need to find out? this is mainly it - it can be specified further, but if you don't feel up to it I'll give the full spioler this afternoon.
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

************ SPOILER *************

A chain of opticians offered reduced prices on glasses by as many percent as you were years old. (Actually I think the offer was only on the frames, but never mind.) We thought that would be a nice opportunity to get my grandmother, then 96, now 97, a new pair of glasses, because her old ones were clearly not as good as they could have been. Unfortunately Granny has lost almost all her short time memory, and so, even if we got her to the optician (she couldn't possibly get there on her own) she would have great difficulties in doing the eye test or even knowing what it was good for. So she could have gotten the cheapest glasses of her life, but it wasn't feasible.
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh. I think I'd been going for quite a lot of more posts figuring all that out.

Brid: ...but if you don't feel up to it...

Of course, I can never resist a challenge; I always turn my back and run as fast as possible.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: