[Brid] I just asked... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2005 » [Brid] I just asked... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 09, 2005Ian22 4-09-05  2:05 am
Archive through May 26, 2005Dref22 5-26-05  8:31 pm
Archive through June 02, 2005Dref22 6-02-05  9:06 pm
Archive through June 14, 2005Birgitta Ericsson22 6-14-05  6:36 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the bread burnt?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

was the bread burnt? no
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sourdough relevant?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:54 am:

sourdough relevant? no
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Ada's comment meant to be a compliment? But wasn't, because she misunderstood what Rita had intended to produce?

Or was it more like she said,'Could I have a piece of that X?' where it was supposed to be Y, which is nicer? harder to make?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

Was Ada's comment meant to be a compliment? no But wasn't, because she misunderstood what Rita had intended to produce? but yesish

Or was it more like she said,'Could I have a piece of that X?' where it was supposed to be Y, which is nicer? harder to make? no
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it one of those comments that you wish you could take back, like asking an overweight woman when she is due (when she's really not pregnant)?

or did she simply ask for X and got Y instead?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Ada's comment imply that the bread was somehow wrong, when it was perfectly fine for that type of bread? (like commenting on the chewieness of an italian-style bread, say?)
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:29 pm:

was it one of those comments that you wish you could take back, like asking an overweight woman when she is due (when she's really not pregnant)?no

or did she simply ask for X and got Y instead? not this either

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:40 pm:

Did Ada's comment imply that the bread was somehow wrong, when it was perfectly fine for that type of bread? yes! (like commenting on the chewieness of an italian-style bread, say? but rather unlike this)
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she say something that was meant to be encouraging, but came off as condescending? "Oh, Rita, bread is difficult, but keep trying, you'll get it right sooner or later"?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or... something like, "I like my _____ bread a little (more,less, etc.) _______"
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 03:58 am:

Did she say something that was meant to be encouraging, but came off as condescending? "Oh, Rita, bread is difficult, but keep trying, you'll get it right sooner or later"? not like this

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

or... something like, "I like my _____ bread a little (more,less, etc.) _______" not this either

Clarification/refocus: Ada ate the bread, not enjoying it much but not giving any sign thereof, and then in secret said something to Rita, which didn't please Rita.
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. OK, then.

Was Ada's comment about the bread specifically? about what Rita had served as a whole? about Rita's cooking ability in general?

"sesame seeds relevant? No (but go on!)" Was something relevant added to the bread (a topping? like garlic butter?, a wash of some sort? poppy seeds? caraway seeds?) Did Ada comment on something that she thought had been added to the bread, but it hadn't?

"Were there bits of burnt matter that Ada assumed were raisins? no, but an assumption is relevant" Was the assumption on Ada's part? Did she assume that the bread was of one type, when it was another type? did she assume that it was store-bought? (or is the assumption here what we got later, that Ada thought the bread was wrong when it was in fact right?)

or was the assumption on Rita's part? Did Rita assume that Ada knew what this type of bread should be like? that Ada liked all the ingredients in the bread? That Ada liked this type of bread at all?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:23 am:

Hmmm. OK, then.

Was Ada's comment about the bread specifically? yes about what Rita had served as a whole? about Rita's cooking ability in general?

"sesame seeds relevant? No (but go on!)" Was something relevant added to the bread yes (a topping? like garlic butter?, a wash of some sort? no to these poppy seeds? caraway seeds? no to these too, but closer) Did Ada comment on something that she thought had been added to the bread, but it hadn't? yes-ish

"Were there bits of burnt matter that Ada assumed were raisins? no, but an assumption is relevant" Was the assumption on Ada's part? yes Did she assume that the bread was of one type, when it was another type? did she assume that it was store-bought? (or is the assumption here what we got later, that Ada thought the bread was wrong when it was in fact right? this one )

or was the assumption on Rita's part? no, or not relevant Did Rita assume that Ada knew what this type of bread should be like? that Ada liked all the ingredients in the bread? but these two might have been assumed That Ada liked this type of bread at all?
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seeds then? or something derived from seeds?
cracked peppercorns?
some other spice?
cornmeal?
sunflower seeds?
pumpkin seeds?
rolled oats?
chopped nuts?
some type of fruit?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 08:20 am:

Seeds then? yes or something derived from seeds?
cracked peppercorns?
some other spice?
cornmeal?
sunflower seeds?
pumpkin seeds?
rolled oats?
chopped nuts?
some type of fruit? no to rest
Tony (E20)
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the seeds "inside" the bread, or added to the crust?

Linseed? Millet? Mustard? Afalfa? Cannabis?

Did Ada assume the seeds were an unintentional ingredient? Did she think they were bits of dirt? Animal droppings?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

Were the seeds "inside" the bread yes, or added to the crust? no

Linseed? yes Millet? Mustard? Afalfa? Cannabis? no to rest

Did Ada assume the seeds were an unintentional ingredient? Did she think they were bits of dirt? Animal droppings? yes!
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So ...
Rita baked some bread containing linseed?
She gave some to Ada, who thought the linseed was animal droppings?
Ada politely ate it?
And then made some comment to Rita?

Set in the 1970s ... did she say "Nice bread, shame about the faeces"?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:00 am:

So ...
Rita baked some bread containing linseed?
She gave some to Ada, who thought the linseed was animal droppings?
Ada politely ate it?
And then made some comment to Rita? all correct

Set in the 1970s ... did she say "Nice bread, shame about the faeces"? not quite
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she ask Rita what she was doing about her mouse problem?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:39 am:

Did she ask Rita what she was doing about her mouse problem? this is closer
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she make a suggestion to Rita about how to solve her mouse problem? or how to keep the mice out of her food?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:45 pm:

Did she make a suggestion to Rita about how to solve her mouse problem? or how to keep the mice out of her food? no, but she could have done so
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she comment that Rita must have quite a mouse problem?

Was her comment about the apparent faeces? about the apparent mice? about the bread? about Rita?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 12:57 am:

Did she comment that Rita must have quite a mouse problem? yes

Was her comment about the apparent faeces? yes about the apparent mice? about the bread? about Rita?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we are looking for the particular comment?

Did she comment on the taste of the "seeds"? their appearance? their texture? their smell?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, bother - I thought I had finished this off weeks ago. Apparently I haven't, and the Forum troubles have nothing to do with it.

By Tony (E20) on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:54 am:

So we are looking for the particular comment? no, the particular situation

Did she comment on the taste of the "seeds"? their appearance? their texture? their smell? none of these exactly - she said "I think you had got mouse droppings in the flour"
Tony (E20)
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The situation so far is:

Rita baked some bread containing linseed. She gave some to Ada, who was at Rita's house. Rita thought the linseed was animal droppings. Ada politely ate it and then said "I think you had got mouse dropping in your flour". Rita got upset.

Do we need to find out more about the particular context in which this occurred? Was it a celebration of some kind? birthday? wedding? anniversary? festival?

Are Rita and Ada related? Friends? Workmates?

Did either of them work in the food industry? Was one of them a hygiene inspector?

Was there a particular reason that Rita was trying to impress Ada with her culinary skills?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

The situation so far is:

Rita baked some bread containing linseed. She gave some to Ada, who was at Rita's house. Rita thought the linseed was animal droppings. Ada politely ate it and then said "I think you had got mouse dropping in your flour". Rita got upset. This is all correct and I don't understand why I haven't written a spoiler earlier. All that needs to be added is that Rita is really my late grandmother (the other grandmother than in the glasses puzzle), whose real name was Ricken, and that Ada is her sister, whose real name is aunt Hedvig and who was a most formidable aunt, fit for scaring kids (but she did have an admirable sense of humour, once you were old enough to understand it).
Sorry for the delay. I'll post another puzzle tomorrow or so!
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****** SPOILER *********

See above.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was a little woubit, I worked in a bakery during a school holiday.

One of my tasks was to put lids on baking tins just before they embarked on their long, slow journey through the oven on a conveyor belt. I stood in a small cabin overlooking the top of the oven. Moths would fly in through the windows of the bakery and would be attracted by the flames, which they could see through the vents in the roof of the oven.

The moths would dive through the vents, and were promptly incinerated. Those black specks on top of your morning loaf are not seeds, as the baker would have you believe. They are cremated moth.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: