Archive through March 11, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » [woubit] Hand me down my walking cane » Archive through March 11, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

Is this anything to do with you being late for meeting a friend! no. Old men forget, but that one I will remember for the rest of my days :)

Is duty free relevant? no
Air rage? no
Airline meals? no
A member of the cabin crew? no
Luggage? no
Delays relevant? no

And we made an archive in less than twelve hours. Just like the old days :)
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Health and safety relevant?
The new double decker plane from Airbus?
Stopovers?

Would this puzzle work if it related to passengers on trains instead of planes?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:36 pm:

Health and safety relevant? no
The new double decker plane from Airbus? no, but good thinking :)
Stopovers? no

Would this puzzle work if it related to passengers on trains instead of planes? no
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it relate to the air travel experience as a whole? before boarding? the flight? the landing? the takeoff? after the plane has landed?

Does it relate to human behaviour?
Time zones relevant?
Customs?
Importation?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

Does it relate to the air travel experience as a whole? no before boarding? no the flight? yes the landing? no the takeoff? no after the plane has landed? no

Does it relate to human behaviour? yes
Time zones relevant? no
Customs? no
Importation? no
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In-flight entertainment relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun (Jun) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

In-flight entertainment relevant? yes, indeed :)
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magazines? Is the exact airline relevant? Was it an international airline that flew across the Atlantic?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun (Jun) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:48 pm:

Magazines? no Is the exact airline relevant? there is no "exact airline" involved Was it an international airline that flew across the Atlantic? see above
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it claimed that in-flight entertainment is good? improving? reliable?

Movies relevant? TV programmes airline radio? the safety demo? :)
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said it was non-British - so was it from the US? Relevant?
Was the email/statement, a
- an advertisement?
- a recommendation?
- a statement of facts?

Is there any scope for mis-interpretation? Or was it simply factually incorrect?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:53 pm:

Was it claimed that in-flight entertainment is good? improving? reliable? none of these. It is, as those who are familiar with the puzzle title will know, a sin to tell a lie.

Movies relevant? yes TV programmes no airline radio? no the safety demo? no, and I am giggling here because the song from which the puzzle title is taken contains words that they ought to use instead of the worthless instructions in the "safety" demo:

Hand me down my walking cane,
It's a sin to tell a lie -
Send my mouth way down South
And kiss my ass goodbye

John Prine, Please Don't Bury Me
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun (Jun) on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:57 pm:

You said it was non-British - so was it from the US? it was, in fact, a publication by an international group Relevant? no
Was the email/statement to clarify, the email drew my attention to the statement
- an advertisement?
- a recommendation?
- a statement of facts? none of these, really. It may be misleading to call it a "statement" - "description" would be closer to the mark

Is there any scope for mis-interpretation? no Or was it simply factually incorrect? yes
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Movies relevant? yes TV programmes no airline radio? no the safety demo? no, and I am giggling here because the song from which the puzzle title is taken contains words that they ought to use instead of the worthless instructions in the "safety" demo:

A good point indeeds since no-one actually watches the safety demo anyway and even if they did there's not much you can do if you're plummeting torwads the Earth at 500mph!

Is a particular movie relevant? movie certification relevant? the fact that you get to see these movies before they come out into cinema?
Movie length relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:09 am:

A good point indeeds since no-one actually watches the safety demo anyway and even if they did there's not much you can do if you're plummeting torwads the Earth at 500mph!

Indeed. And those signs saying "Danger - low-flying aircraft" aren't a whole lot of use either, though I suppose you could take your umbrella down.

Is a particular movie relevant? no movie certification relevant? no the fact that you get to see these movies before they come out into cinema? no
Movie length relevant? no
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the fact that movies are shown at all? is the Oscars at all relevant? Choice of movies relevant? type of movie relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:15 am:

Is it the fact that movies are shown at all? well, the puzzle would not work if movies were not shown at all, but there is more to it than that is the Oscars at all relevant? no Choice of movies relevant? no type of movie relevant? if you mean "genre", then no, but if you mean "type", then yesish, but only peripherally
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could have meant either, not sure!!

Anything to do with movie being shown to keep passengers entertained? quiet? send them to sleep? Are only certain types of movies shown on flights for a specific reason? i.e family movies to appeal to most passengers as opposed to something like The Shining!?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:20 am:

I could have meant either, not sure!! As you say, it is getting late :)

Anything to do with movie being shown to keep passengers entertained? quiet? send them to sleep? all of these - the important thing is that movies are shown as "in-flight entertainment" Are only certain types of movies shown on flights for a specific reason? i.e family movies to appeal to most passengers as opposed to something like The Shining!? nothing as specific as this. Indeed, the puzzle would work if it were about magazines, or radio - it just happens that the "statement" in question refers to movies (specifically DVDs). You don't need to explore the "movie" angle any more.
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were there any claims based on statistics?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun (Jun) on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:35 am:

Were there any claims based on statistics? no, but...
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the statement have a superlative in it - such as "watching DVDs is the best thing to do in flight"?