[Beroean] Arms Dealer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » [Beroean] Arms Dealer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 19, 2005Simon Downham22 3-19-05  2:10 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the Octopi use the P-Man of War tentacles (cue theme to Maniac Mansion 2 here!) to stun prey? predators? humans?

Did they use them as fishing line? ;)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the Octopi use the P-Man of War tentacles (cue theme to Maniac Mansion 2 here!) to stun prey? No
predators? Yesish
humans? No
They use them as defensive weapons (arms) to deter predators

Did they use them as fishing line? ;) No
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP

There is an Octopus that steals tentacles from the Portuguese Man O War Jellyfish and uses them as defensive weapons against predators.

This same Octopus also gives away one of its own tentacles.

We're over half way here. Now, discover the scenario in which it gives away one of its tentacles.
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the octopi give away their own tentacles to escape predators who have latched on to them?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the octopi give away their own tentacles to escape predators who have latched on to them? No, the giving away of their arms is not related to predators
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the octopi disguise themselves as a jellyfish by hiding a tentacle and replacing it with the tentacles of the jellyfish?
Giving their arm away as in completely detatching it from their own body?
Do they partake in games of swapsies with other marine life!? lose it in an unlucky hand of poker!? :) (I am taking this seriously, I just remembered a scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks!)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the octopi disguise themselves as a jellyfish by hiding a tentacle and replacing it with the tentacles of the jellyfish? No

Giving their arm away as in completely detatching it from their own body? Yes

Do they partake in games of swapsies with other marine life!? Yope

They give one of their "arms" (tentacles) away and get nothing in exchange. They do not give it to the Jellyfish and nor does it involve predators

lose it in an unlucky hand of poker!? (I am taking this seriously, I just remembered a scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks!) I believe you :)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they give away their arms because they want to? have to?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they give away their arms because they want to? Yes
have to? Yes
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, if they didn't have to, they'd do it anyway?

Is mating relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, if they didn't have to, they'd do it anyway? Yes

Is mating relevant? Yes
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DO they detatch the tentacle themsleves? it is detatched by a mating partner? It the male of female octopi which loses their tentacle? or do they both do it?
Do we need to establish what form of marine life they give their arm to? and why? Is it just one species? or do they give their arms away to several species of marine life?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DO they detatch the tentacle themsleves? Yes
it is detatched by a mating partner? No but ..
It the male of female octopi which loses their tentacle? or do they both do it? It is only the Male Octopus that gives away his arm
Do we need to establish what form of marine life they give their arm to? Yes
and why? Yes
Is it just one species? Yes!
or do they give their arms away to several species of marine life? No

You are on the home straight now :)
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other form a type of fish? mammal? reptile? or is it in living form like coral? plants? anemomes etc?
Is the tentacle a source of food? a plaything? Do they use it for something?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other form a type of fish? mammal? reptile? or is it in living form like coral? plants? anemomes etc? None of these - you have already mentioned it and I may have inadvertantly mislead you.

Is the tentacle a source of food? a plaything? Do they use it for something? It is to do with reproduction. Again I may have mislead you - the mating partner is relevant
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other form a type of fish? mammal? reptile? or is it in living form like coral? plants? anemomes etc? None of these - you have already mentioned it and I may have inadvertantly mislead you. No you didn't had somehow completely forgotten about the jellyfish - don't know how that happened!! :)
I assume then that the octopi give their tentacle to jellyfish?

Are jellyfish tentacles used within the mating ritual? to keep predators away?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No you didn't had somehow completely forgotten about the jellyfish - don't know how that happened!!

I assume then that the octopi give their tentacle to jellyfish? No, I think you have confused yourself. The other relevant creature is the female octopus of the same species.

Are jellyfish tentacles used within the mating ritual? No, butthe one that belongs to the male himself, is involved.

to keep predators away? That is true of the arms that he stole from the jellyfish

Essentially you have all of the information - it's just a matter of tying it together
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right so the male octopus gives one of his own tentacles to his female partner? during the mating ritual? before? after? For (i believe) a reson that still needs to be identified!? The jellyfish tentacles have nothing to do with the mating ritual itself? but they are used to keep predators away? Are they used to protect the female when she is pregnant?
Chuck Raby (Wildcard)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the jellyfish tentacles used to keep predators away during the mating ritual itself?

At other times too?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam
Right so the male octopus gives one of his own tentacles to his female partner? Correct
during the mating ritual? before? after? After I guess
For (i believe) a reason that still needs to be identified!? yes but its not crucial
The jellyfish tentacles have nothing to do with the mating ritual itself? right
but they are used to keep predators away? Yep
Are they used to protect the female when she is pregnant? no

Chuck
Are the jellyfish tentacles used to keep predators away during the mating ritual itself? possibly

At other times too Definitely

There is nothing more to establish - the relevant info has been gathered :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***************** SPOILER ********************

He steals arms from others after giving his own away.

This is about the “Blanket Octopus” which must be counted among that group of weird and fascinating sea creatures.

The female grows up to 2 meters in length and weighs about 10 kilogram. Incredibly the male is only about 3 centimeters long and weighs 0.3 grams!

How do they reproduce? One of the male's 8 arms (tentacles) is hollow. After the male locates a female, the arm is filled with sperm. It breaks off and enters the female’s mantle cavity (the large space inside her body). There it stays until she fertilizes her eggs by squeezing the sperm over them.

To compensate for his size, the male defends himself with tentacles that he apparently steals from the Portuguese man-o-war jellyfish. He holds these in the suckers of his upper arms.

Ps 104:25 "As for this sea so great and wide, there there are moving things without number,
Living creatures, small as well as great"

Well done all and special thanks to Sam with her large contribution

Blanket Octopus
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Octopi are indeed, strange and fascinating creatures, I've heard of them mimicking other marine marine life but not stealing from them!! I guess it just goes to show that size really doesn't matter! :)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Octopi rule!!! :)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: