(Dref) Weird Science Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2005 » (Dref) Weird Science « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 31, 2005Fred Z22 3-31-05  10:18 pm
Archive through April 05, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 4-05-05  8:14 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything to do with witchraft? alchemy? Probably the wrong time period for alchemy though, but you never know.
Can we repaste the riddle? I'm getting myself confused and I don't remember the actual statement
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "mark" used here as a slang term for something else? is it _the experiment_ that left a strange mark? Or another subject? was the whole, skinned body of the bird involved in the experiment? Or just one or more parts of it? Did the experiment take more than one hour? Than one day? than one week? Was it performed indoors? Outdoors? Both? When it failed, was it retried? If yes, by the same scientist? If not, was an experiment with the same (or similar) purpose tried later with some other bird? Some other animal? No animal at all? Does the experiment have to do with economy? Statistics? Politics?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No-ish to cooking; was it preservation? YES preparation for cooking? no for eating? no Something's niggling at the back of my brain but it won't come out where I can see it Try a icepick! It worked for me... ;)

By Badger Bristle (Nagrom) on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:35 am:

anything to do with witchraft? alchemy? Probably the wrong time period for alchemy though, but you never know. neither, but...
Can we repaste the riddle? I'm getting myself confused and I don't remember the actual statement "The experiment failed but left a strange mark." Howz zat? ;)

By Ozymandias (Ozymandias) on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:25 am:

Is the word "mark" used here as a slang term for something else? no, it's used in a figurative sense is it _the experiment_ that left a strange mark? yes Or another subject? no was the whole, skinned body of the bird involved in the experiment? yes Or just one or more parts of it? Did the experiment take more than one hour? no Than one day? than one week? Was it performed indoors? Outdoors? THIS Both? When it failed, was it retried? NO If yes, by the same scientist? If not, was an experiment with the same (or similar) purpose tried later with some other bird? Probably, but irrel Some other animal? No animal at all? Does the experiment have to do with economy? there is a faint aspect of this to it Statistics? Politic
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a icepick! It worked for me... ;)
Bingo!

Freezing food? That scientist/man of letters who died from a cold he caught when he went outside and stuffed a chicken carcass with snow to see if it would keep better? I can't think of who it was, though
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe this will help:

Come, let us sit upon the grass
And tell sad tales of human ill -
How Bacon was a silly ass
And caught a chicken, and a chill.
And Charles the First, who made his will
But managed to mislay his head.
And Brown, who read the works of Mill,
And is unfortunately dead.

Prince - pearls and diamonds! Take your fill.
Don't mind if they are splashed with red -
I got them from my poor Aunt Jill,
Who is unfortunately dead.

G K Chesterton
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

refrigeration ?
was the chicken decapitated ? (and that was its strange mark i.e having no head afterwards)
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Freezing food? yup! That scientist/man of letters who died from a cold he caught when he went outside and stuffed a chicken carcass with snow to see if it would keep better? I can't think of who it was, though Woubit just told 'ya. The man in question in this puzzle is Francis Bacon.

refrigeration ? yes
was the chicken decapitated ? (and that was its strange mark i.e having no head afterwards) no, this "mark" was very, very strange
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the mark something like an indentation or an impression in the ground/snow/other?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NO
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the mark left on Francis Bacon or the chicken ?
If it was on Bacon was it an emotional mark i.e he was so shocked he was emotionally scared ?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the mark left on Francis Bacon or the chicken ? no
If it was on Bacon was it an emotional mark i.e he was so shocked he was emotionally scared ? no, although I imagine his dying because of this came as quite a shock!
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the mark a sign of an illness ?
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mark left on society? on science? on literature? on some other abstract entity?
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the experiment alone leave the mark? Did Bacon's death alone leave the mark?

Would the mark still have been left if the experiment had succeeded, but Bacon had still died?

How about if the experiment had failed, but Bacon had lived?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the mark a sign of an illness ? no

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 06:53 pm:

Was the mark left on society? on science? on literature? on some other abstract entity? none of these

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 06:56 pm:

Did the experiment alone leave the mark? no Did Bacon's death alone leave the mark? no, in fact Bacon's death is irrel

Would the mark still have been left if the experiment had succeeded, but Bacon had still died? possibly

How about if the experiment had failed, but Bacon
had lived? yes
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mark a technical term? A regional term? If we were given the solution right now, would the term in context make sense to everyone? Was the mark perhaps illuding to the targeting of something else? In other words, mark = target? Was it left because of the experiment as a whole? Certain elements or occurances within the experiment?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mark a technical term? no A regional term? no If we were given the solution right now, would the term in context make sense to everyone? sorry, no term Was the mark perhaps illuding to the targeting of something else? no In other words, mark = target? no Was it left because of the experiment as a whole? yes, but mainly one aspect of it Certain elements or occurances within the experiment? yes, see above
keith davies (Keithdavies175)
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything to do with firing fozen chickens ? from a cannon or an other weapon ?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, I tried that puzzle and it bombed :(
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the mark come from something within the experiment that went right? went wrong? Did he take the chicken apart? Any particular smells relevant? Was it the chicken that caused the mark or something else?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the mark come from something within the experiment that went right? went wrong? no to both Did he take the chicken apart? no Any particular smells relevant? no Was it the chicken that caused the mark or something else? no, it was the chickens death.
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AGH
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

?
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the mark result because of the type of preservation? Is its preservation worth looking into?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no to both
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chicken's death left the mark? I'm confuzzled...

Is it a metaphorical mark? like the Mark of Cain? Mark of the Beast? Or less specific like "the mark of a good writer is..."? a hallmark? a mark of excellence?

It wasn't a physical mark, but it wasn't left on an abstract entity... was it left on a physical entity? If yes, a person? a building? a garment? a vehicle? a surface other than that of one of the above?

Was it an emotional mark? an intellectual mark? does a mark = a grade?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chicken's death left the mark? I'm confuzzled... <sinister laugh>

Is it a metaphorical mark? no like the Mark of Cain? Mark of the Beast? Or less specific like "the mark of a good writer is..."? a hallmark? a mark of excellence? it's a tangible, yet non physical mark...

It wasn't a physical mark, but it wasn't left on an abstract entity... was it left on a physical entity? no If yes, a person? a building? a garment? a vehicle? a surface other than that of one of the above?

Was it an emotional mark? an intellectual mark? does a mark = a grade? nope, think about "marks" and violent deaths...
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean like the "cold spots" or unexplained breezes or general sense of icky-ness that supposedly indicate the place someone died violently or tragically?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, but even more than that
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghosts? Apparitions?

Is the place where the chicken was killed haunted by a tragic ghostly chicken, wandering about with no head, going "ehh-ehhh-ehh-ehhh-ehh!" (that's the sound a chicken makes when it's trying to cluck mournfully with no head to cluck with, by the way ) searching in vain for someone who can end its eternal toment by sprinkling the area with white wine and mushroom broth while reciting the ingredients of Chicken Paprikash backwards in Hungarian?

I believe that's the accepted formula for exorcising a chicken ghost; at least, it's the way we did it.
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghosts? yes Apparitions? yes

Is the place where the chicken was killed haunted by a tragic ghostly chicken, wandering about with no head, going "ehh-ehhh-ehh-ehhh-ehh!" (that's the sound a chicken makes when it's trying to cluck mournfully with no head to cluck with, by the way ) searching in vain for someone who can end its eternal toment by sprinkling the area with white wine and mushroom broth while reciting the ingredients of Chicken Paprikash backwards in Hungarian? More or less. ;) good job, spoiler ahead...

I believe that's the accepted formula for exorcising a chicken ghost; at least, it's the way we did it. Also, if you can find the ghost of a skateboard...
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***** SPOILER *****

The haunting of Pond Square dates back to the early 17th century when, in a bid to prove a new way of preserving meat, Sir Francis Bacon stuffed a chicken with snow. As a result of his experiment he developed bronchitis and died a short while later. But it is not his ghost that haunts Pond Square, it is the chicken's!

The story starts in March, 1626. Sir Francis, who had been barred from all public office in 1621, following his trial on charges of bribery and corruption, had spent the past five years in philosophical and scientific study, including
the principles of refrigeration. He was being driven through Pond Square in his coach on that bitterly cold day. It was snowing and the pond was frozen. He noticed that the coach wheel tracks revealed that the grass under the snow was
still green and fresh and this gave him an idea. He called upon the coachman to stop by the pond and ordered him to purchase a chicken from one of the neighboring cottages.

Stepping down from his coach, wrapped in his cloak against the biting wind, he ordered the coachman to kill the bird and partially pluck it. When this was done he stuffed snow into the still-warm carcass, place it into a bag and packed more
snow tightly around it - the world's first frozen chicken.

However the extremely cold weather was too much for the 65 year-old man and he was seized with a sudden chill which developed into acute bronchitis and he died at Highgate on 9th April, 1626, at the home of his friend, Lord Arundel.

Not long after Sir Francis' experiment that had cost him his own life, the shivering chicken started to make its appearances. It was usually to be seen on cold wintry nights, half-bald and squawking, flapping round in circles until it
disappeared through a brick wall. It has been seen up till modern times and on occasions has been seen perched on the lower boughs of a nearby tree.

During the Second World War, ARP wardens saw the bird on many occasions and one man actually tried to catch it. However he gave up the attempt when he collided with the brick wall which the bird had melted into.

An airman home on leave during December, 1943, was passing through Pond Square one night when he heard the sound of horses' hooves and carriage wheels followed by a terrible screeching. He could see no sign of the horses or carriage but in the middle of the Square he saw the half-bald figure of the phantom chicken, running round in circles and apparently shivering with the cold. With that the bird disappeared.

In January, 1969, a motorist, whose car was broken down near the Square, saw the figure of the bird screeching round in circles and was wondering what hooligan would denude a bird and then let it loose on the road, when it vanished in front of his eyes.

A courting couple were disturbed by the bird in 1970 whilst they were embracing in a doorway in the Square. Doubtless they chose another spot to do their courting after that!
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boggle.

I was joking.
At least I thought I was.

Goooood puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: