Archive through March 21, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2005 » [Haenlomal] Don't be silly » Archive through March 21, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is inspired by recent events. It may be of questionable quality for a lateral puzzle, but I just couldn't pass this one up....any more information, and I'll be practically giving away the solution, so here goes...

Title: Don't be silly

Difficulty: Easy to Moderate

Type: Fiction/humor, but based on real life events

Story:
It may be an overkill, and it'll only work once (if at all), but I guess that's one way of settling credit card bills!

To Solve:
What is the "one way" referred to in the story?

Specialized Knowledge needed:
None needed, but a "high degree of silliness" warning is perhaps in order here

Good luck!
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shredding the cards? ;)
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting a "secret personality" and not being traceable by social security number, address or anything?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dref

Shredding the cards? ;) No, but good thinking.

Tommyp

Getting a "secret personality" and not being traceable by social security number, address or anything? No to this as well, but equally good thinking.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buying the bank that issued the card and zeroing out your account?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buying the bank that issued the card and zeroing out your account? That might work, but that wasn't what I had in mind either. :)

There is a reason why I worded the puzzle statement the way it is worded. It might be more fruitful to probe deeper into the puzzle statement itself....
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done so. Is the idea that writing "a overkill" rather than "an overkill" will lead to your immediate execution for murdering the language, so that then you won't have to pay your credit card bills?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done so. Is the idea that writing "a overkill" rather than "an overkill" will lead to your immediate execution for murdering the language, so that then you won't have to pay your credit card bills? Oops...my bad. I had meant "an overkill" instead of "a overkill". My apologies for a not so "miniscule" mistake. :(
April (Dawnrazor)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "overkill" important?
Committing suicide?
Having someone kill you?
Faking your own death?

Does death even cancel out your credit card debts? I have no idea.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "overkill" important? Well, put it this way: there is a reason why I chose that word, which should become apparent once more is known...
Committing suicide? No
Having someone kill you? No
Faking your own death? No

Does death even cancel out your credit card debts? I have no idea. Actually, I don't think it does. I believe it passes onto whoever is responsible for the disposition of your estate. But I'm not 100% sure about this...
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does death even cancel out your credit card debts? I have no idea. Actually, I don't think it does. I believe it passes onto whoever is responsible for the disposition of your estate. But I'm not 100% sure about this... That's certainly the way it works in the US, unless you buy credit-protection insurance from the credit card company that pays off your balance...

Overkill in the sense that it's a very extreme measure?
a measure that does relatively more harm than it does good? (like burning down your house to get rid of the mice)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does death even cancel out your credit card debts? I have no idea. Actually, I don't think it does. I believe it passes onto whoever is responsible for the disposition of your estate. But I'm not 100% sure about this... That's certainly the way it works in the US, unless you buy credit-protection insurance from the credit card company that pays off your balance... That's certainly useful to know

Overkill in the sense that it's a very extreme measure? Yes
a measure that does relatively more harm than it does good? (like burning down your house to get rid of the mice) I don't know if the analogy would apply, but it certainly does more harm than good.
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doing this gets settles your credit card bills, which is a good thing. Is the harm it does financial as well? Harm to your ability to get other credit? Harm to your reputation? Harm to your belongings? Harm to your personal life like your marriage, schooling, or work? Is declaring bankruptcy relevant? Being declared incompetent to manage your own affairs, and having your guardian contest the bills on that grounds?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doing this gets settles your credit card bills, which is a good thing. Is the harm it does financial as well? Possibly...really depends on a few things that so far hasn't been uncovered in this puzzle. Harm to your ability to get other credit? Most definitely this Harm to your reputation? Most definitely this as well Harm to your belongings? Again, possibly, in much the same manner as the first question Harm to your personal life like your marriage, schooling, or work? There might be peripheral damage done to these areas as a result of the reputation and financial harm, so yes Is declaring bankruptcy relevant? No -- this is a silly puzzle :) Being declared incompetent to manage your own affairs, and having your guardian contest the bills on that grounds? Sorry, nothing like this
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using one credit card to pay off another credit card?

Is the overkill method illegal?

Harm to reputation: Our Hero would be perceived as crazy for trying it? foolish? ignorant? shady?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using one credit card to pay off another credit card? Nah...nothing so prosaic as that. This is a lateral puzzle, after all. :)

Is the overkill method illegal? Most definitely

Harm to reputation: Our Hero would be perceived as crazy for trying it? This, but... foolish? ignorant? shady? none of the others

Keep in mind that this puzzle is based on a real life event...
Brian Pamandanan (Sciguy47)
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crashing an airplane into a finacial building?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crashing an airplane into a finacial building? No...and how would doing something like that help to cancel the credit card bill?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this involve any weaponary?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this involve any weaponary? Yes, but beware -- this has a good potential to mislead!
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any property damage involved? the credit cards themselves?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any property damage involved? No, but explore... the credit cards themselves? Nothing like this