Archive through March 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2005 » [woubit] But the De'il knows who I'll marry » Archive through March 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She wanted directions. But not of that kind.
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will she marry Johnny?

Dick Francis relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Directions she wanted:
how to reach a destination?
instructions to construct / operate something?
Other?

The directions she got:
how to reach a destination?
Other?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Alizon (Alizon) on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

Will she marry Johnny? no, but several hundred bonus points for knowledge of folk songs :)

Dick Francis relevant? not to this puzzle

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 09:38 pm:

Directions she wanted:
how to reach a destination? this one
Other?

The directions she got:
how to reach a destination? yesish, but may mislead
instructions to construct / operate something? not these
Other? yesish
Rose (Tackybritish)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they both human? Is she in an unfamiliar place? If, yes did she go there for enjoyment? Buisness? Did the directions that were given did she find them disgusting or rude? Is this really happening or is it some sort of dream sequence? Would guessing the source you got this from be helpful? Or did you make it up?
Silas (Silas)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Woubit!
Is this for a "how to guide"?
Are guns involved in this puzzle?
Is the time period relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rose (Tackybritish) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:51 am:

Are they both human? she and the person who gave her directions are indeed both human Is she in an unfamiliar place? noish If, yes did she go there for enjoyment? this one Buisness? Did the directions that were given did she find them disgusting or rude? no - just surprising Is this really happening or is it some sort of dream sequence? it really happened Would guessing the source you got this from be helpful? it was a story told me by a friend, and I have no reason to doubt it Or did you make it up? I, as regulars on this forum will tell you, have no vestige of imagination whatsoever

By Silas (Silas) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:54 am:

Hey Woubit! Hi, Marner :)
Is this for a "how to guide"? no
Are guns involved in this puzzle? no
Is the time period relevant? happened last week. Not especially relevant.
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she specifically want spatial directions showing the location of her destination? coordinates, landmarks relevant?

did she instead get directions for a mode of transport? (i.e. "run really fast" or instructions on how to drive a car).

was the specific starting point relevant? was she concerned about "heading", distance, or both?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she want to get to Carnegie Hall? :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By dryman (Dryman) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:19 am:

did she specifically want spatial directions showing the location of her destination? yes coordinates, landmarks relevant? vaguely

did she instead get directions for a mode of transport? (i.e. "run really fast" or instructions on how to drive a car). not this sort of thing

was the specific starting point relevant? it does not need identifying, if this is what you mean - it was, in fact, the tube (subway) station at Finsbury Park in London was she concerned about "heading", distance, or both? both, I guess

By dryman (Dryman) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:20 am:

did she want to get to Carnegie Hall? no, but good thinking :)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were she and the person who gave her directions speaking face to face? interacting in some other way? Was she reading something he (?) wrote?

Did she actually ask him for directions? Did she phrase her request poorly? Did he misunderstand her request?

Prior to this interaction, had she and he met before? Did they have a relevant pre-existing relationship?
Silas (Silas)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to be familiar with London to guess this puzzle?
Did he tell her something other than directions? Such as he slipped in between directions"I'm your distant cousin!" Am I close or way off?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the directions she got unhelpful? Of the "You can't get there from here," variety? Incomprehensible?
Were the directions she got irrelevant to her question?

Did the direction-giver offer advice unconnected with her question? ("Take the number 5, and that color looks really good on you.")

Advice vaguely connected to her question? ("Take the Number 5, but I'd suggest you go to Wilson's; it's a much nicer place.")
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 09:04 am:

Were she and the person who gave her directions speaking face to face? yes interacting in some other way? Was she reading something he (?) wrote? and therefore no :)

Did she actually ask him for directions? yes Did she phrase her request poorly? no, but... Did he misunderstand her request? yesish

Prior to this interaction, had she and he met before? no Did they have a relevant pre-existing relationship? no

By Silas (Silas) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:27 pm:

Do you have to be familiar with London to guess this puzzle? noish
Did he tell her something other than directions? yes Such as he slipped in between directions"I'm your distant cousin!" not this sort of thing Am I close or way off? yes :)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:21 pm:

Were the directions she got unhelpful? yes Of the "You can't get there from here," variety? no Incomprehensible? no
Were the directions she got irrelevant to her question? yes

Did the direction-giver offer advice unconnected with her question? yesish ("Take the number 5, and that color looks really good on you.") not this kind of thing

Advice vaguely connected to her question? yes ("Take the Number 5, but I'd suggest you go to Wilson's; it's a much nicer place.") but not this kind of thing either
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific section of London relevant? specific building?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Fred Z (Dref) on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:08 am:

Is a specific section of London relevant? no specific building? yes, but it might help to think of it more as a specific kind of building
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a pub? a historical site? a restaurant? shop? apartment? hotel? hospital? an office?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Fred Z (Dref) on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:15 am:

Was it a pub? this one - good question :) a historical site? a restaurant? shop? apartment? hotel? hospital? an office?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate when that happens! ;)

Are pub names relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Fred Z (Dref) on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 03:23 am:

Are pub names relevant? one of them
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the pub her destination?
Was the pub included in the directions?
Is the pub in London?

Does it contain the name of a person / animal / human title?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:47 pm:

Was the pub her destination? yes
Was the pub included in the directions? no
Is the pub in London? yes

Does it contain the name of a person / animal / human title? it contains none of these