Archive through March 29, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » (Dref) Sharp Writing » Archive through March 29, 2005 « Previous Next »

John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have the game either, but...

Is the detail related to the plot/storyline? the gameplay? the characters in the game? is there some connection between the two games, such that the detail is in some kind of consistency? or does it just happen to appear in both?

Is this even what we're looking for?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have the game either, but... I pity you, then! :)

Is the detail related to the plot/storyline? yes the gameplay? noish the characters in the game? yes is there some connection between the two games, such that the detail is in some kind of consistency? yes, that is exactly it or does it just happen to appear in both?

Is this even what we're looking for? yup, so if you want you can think of it in terms of any work of fiction, so no PC games/Monkey Island games specific knowledge needed
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... there is some element relating to the plot? / characters? of the second game that follows from a (seemingly insignificant?) detail in the first game... right?

Is this detail related to one specific character in the first game? more than one? all? just the characters in general? or just the plot?

same q's for 2nd game...
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... there is some element relating to the plot? / characters? of the second game that follows from a (seemingly insignificant?) detail in the first game... right? correct

Is this detail related to one specific character in the first game? yes more than one? all? just the characters in general? or just the plot?

same q's for 2nd game... In the second game, the detail pertains to two characters.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, if I can look at it as just a work of fiction, I don't feel quite so out of my element

Is the detail in the leval of consistency? in characterization? physical appearance? action? abilities? sound? a reaction to a given circumstance?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, if I can look at it as just a work of fiction, I don't feel quite so out of my element ;)

Is the detail in the level of consistency? this in characterization? physical appearance? action? abilities? sound? a reaction to a given circumstance?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm floundering again....

...o
..o
...o
blub

...o
..o
...o
blub

.o
..o
.o
blub

consistency as displayed in the graphics? continuity in the graphics? Does time pass during the game? or between the games? and one character changes appropriately? (like his hair/beard gets progressively longer, or his clothes get more tattered? or something like that?) aging relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I missed this up to now - a puzzle on my favourite subject :(
MI 3 is my speciality. I haven't played MI 1&2 for years but lets have a shot...

You said that this could work in any work of fiction - no special knowledge needed?

None the less would it be helpful to ask about the specific characters?

Here is a list of the characters from "The Secret of Monkey Island". Which ones are relevant?

Guybrush Threepwood
Ghost Pirate LeChuck
Elaine Marley
Voodoo Lady
Stan
Herman Toothrot
Carla, The Swordmaster
Otis
Meathook
Captain Smirk
Lookout
Shopkeeper
Pirate Leaders
Bob
Citizen of Mêlée
Cannibals
Fester
Shinetop
Cook
Fettucini Brothers
Troll
Pirates
Pirates of low moral fibre

Back later
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm floundering again....

...o
..o
...o
blub

...o
..o
...o
blub

.o
..o
.o
blub Too bad you can't hold your breath for ten minutes!

consistency as displayed in the graphics? continuity in the graphics? Does time pass during the game? or between the games? and one character changes appropriately? (like his hair/beard gets progressively longer, or his clothes get more tattered? or something like that?) aging relevant? sorry, none of these are what I am looking for, time does pass between the games though

Sorry I missed this up to now - a puzzle on my favourite subject
MI 3 is my speciality. I haven't played MI 1&2 for years but lets have a shot... You'd better, you favorite playing grog swilling pirate! :)

You said that this could work in any work of fiction - no special knowledge needed? correct

None the less would it be helpful to ask about the specific characters? possibly, but not really that much, if at all!

Here is a list of the characters from "The Secret of Monkey Island". Which ones are relevant?

Guybrush Threepwood him
Ghost Pirate LeChuck
Elaine Marley
Voodoo Lady
Stan
Herman Toothrot and him
Carla, The Swordmaster
Otis
Meathook
Captain Smirk
Lookout
Shopkeeper
Pirate Leaders
Bob
Citizen of Mêlée
Cannibals
Fester
Shinetop
Cook
Fettucini Brothers
Troll
Pirates
Pirates of low moral fibre

Back later Okey-dokey!
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the details:
about their background / history?
Education?
personality?
physical appearance?
something else?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the details:
about their background / history? this, but only for Herman, Guybrush's backstory isn't relevant
Education?
personality?
physical appearance?
something else?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herman was a castaway on Monkey Island?
He lived with cannibals?
In MI2 he was on Dinky Island?
He taught philosophy to a parrot?

Any of those relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herman Toothrot

Herman
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herman Toothrot
Herman is a nice, but kind of stupid man. He has been stranded on Monkey Island for about 20 years and even though he has had a rowboat all this time, he has not used it. Herman has been waiting to get rescued, because that is what is supposed to happen. There is not much to do on Monkey Island, so Herman spends most of his time arguing with the Cannibals and enjoying the view.

Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herman was a castaway on Monkey Island? yes
He lived with cannibals?
In MI2 he was on Dinky Island?
He taught philosophy to a parrot?

Any of those relevant? Just the first one. Good ole HT!
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drink up, me hearties yo ho
*clanks glasses*
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no ;)
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does something happen to Herman? before the first game? during? after? which affects him in some way?
and the effect of this is visible in the second game? in the way he interacts with Guybrush?

Is the rowboat relevant?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does something happen to Herman? before the first game? during? after? which affects him in some way? He did something before the first game, and it did affect him in a minor way
and the effect of this is visible in the second game? yes in the way he interacts with Guybrush? no

Is the rowboat relevant? no
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was ages since I played Monkey Island 1 & 2 and am unable to access them whereas I can access 3 & 4 - typical!

So, I found this at Wikipedia:
"Herman is originally presented as the first mate of the 'Sea Monkey' ship that sailing from Melee Island, eventually wrecked on Monkey Island. The captain being killed by the cannibals and Herman unable to sail the ship back, he trained a crew of monkeys to sail to Melee Island and return with help. They, however, did not, and obnoxious salesman Stan took the unwanted ship and attempted to sell it.

After 20 years of being stranded on Monkey Island, Herman appears as a halfwit, castaway hermit, trying to cope with the cannibals. In the second game, he appears on Dinky Island teaching philosophy."

Is there anything relevant in the above info?

If Yes:
a) Does it cover everything before game 1?
b) Does it cover everything for game 2?
Fred Z (Dref)
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was ages since I played Monkey Island 1 & 2 and am unable to access them whereas I can access 3 & 4 - typical! Too bad! But maybe...well... there is an off chance you came across this and remember it. ;)

So, I found this at Wikipedia:
"Herman is originally presented as the first mate of the 'Sea Monkey' ship that sailing from Melee Island, eventually wrecked on Monkey Island. The captain being killed by the cannibals and Herman unable to sail the ship back, he trained a crew of monkeys to sail to Mêlée Island and return with help. They, however, did not, and obnoxious salesman Stan took the unwanted ship and attempted to sell it.

After 20 years of being stranded on Monkey Island, Herman appears as a halfwit, castaway hermit, trying to cope with the cannibals. In the second game, he appears on Dinky Island teaching philosophy."

Is there anything relevant in the above info? nope, other than the fact that Herman was marooned for many years

If Yes:
a) Does it cover everything before game 1?
b) Does it cover everything for game 2?
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his beard grow longer?!