Archive through April 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » [Rabrab] But he knows how to tie a tie » Archive through April 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting warmer am I, eh? Glad you think so. Still feels pretty cold out here, though.

Is there any relevance to the idea of someone/something in the past returning some time in the future to this puzzle?

Any dying persons involved?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 09:33 pm

Getting warmer am I, eh? Glad you think so. Still feels pretty cold out here, though. A tad bit warmer, but still jacket weather...

Is there any relevance to the idea of someone/something in the past returning some time in the future to this puzzle? No

Any dying persons involved? Death is indeed relevant, but no-one in the puzzle is dying. That didn't help at all, did it?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dead people are involved?
Mediums? Communicating with the dead?
Has someone been dead for 500 years?
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:50 pm

Dead people are involved? Yes, but may mislead
Mediums? No Communicating with the dead? rephrase, please, unless you really want a "yope", here.
Has someone been dead for 500 years? YES. More than that, as a matter of fact...
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone was dead for 500 years, and then something relevant happened?

Communications from dead people? to dead people? among dead people?
Corpses involved?
Is information being deduced from examining 500-year-old corpses?
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:52 pm

Someone was dead for 500 years, Yes and then something relevant happened? Yes, but it's not quite that simple...

Communications from dead people? to dead people? among dead people? No, none of these, all the communication takes place between live people...
Corpses involved? No
Is information being deduced from examining 500-year-old corpses? No
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eppur si muove?
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David Burn (Woubit) on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 01:31 am

Eppur si muove? Far be it from me to argue with Galileo. That's very slightly related to something that is extremely relevant to the solution...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, I will exit to the tigers :) Not that I have made much of an entrance, of course, but...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werewovles?
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David Burn (Woubit) on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 04:07 am
In that case, I will exit to the tigers Not that I have made much of an entrance, of course, but...

You're welcome to stay, you know. The tigers are taking a nap right now...

\blue}By Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:56 pm}

Werewovles? No, no werewolves. But his hair was perfect...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...I'm a bit stuck on this one, but with work so busy, perhaps that's a good thing so that I'm not that distracted. Nonetheless, time to tackle this puzzle from another angle.

The two people directly involved: How old are they? Relevant?

What gender are they? Relevant?

Are their professions relevant? Relationship to each other?

The one indirectly involved person: same set of questions, please.
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:04 pm

Hmmm...I'm a bit stuck on this one, but with work so busy, perhaps that's a good thing so that I'm not that distracted. Nonetheless, time to tackle this puzzle from another angle.
I feared that I had been abandoned; thanks for coming back. I hope that it's good-busy and not bad-busy. And another angle would be good...

The two people directly involved: How old are they? Exact ages are unknown, but one is well over 600 years old, possibly over 700, the second is somewhat younger, but still at least a bit over 500 at the time of the puzzle. Relevant? Extremely! I wondered when someone would break out the SBQ's...

What gender are they? Both are male. Relevant? Yes.

Are their professions relevant? Yes. Relationship to each other? Yes!

The one indirectly involved person: same set of questions, please Male, Profession is relevant; Relationship to the other men is relevant; Age at death is 43, somewhat relevant.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, it's a bad busy....have been pulling 12-13 hour workdays for the past 3 weeks, and there is still 2 more weeks to go!

500+ and 700+ year olds? And they are still alive? Are they human? Immortal? Brothers? Ancestor/Descendant? Undead?

The dead man -- did he die of natural causes? Murdered? Accidental death?
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:06 pm

Unfortunately, it's a bad busy....have been pulling 12-13 hour workdays for the past 3 weeks, and there is still 2 more weeks to go! Oh, ick. You have my sympathy. Would a virtual backrub help?

500+ and 700+ year olds? Yeppers.And they are still alive? at the time of the puzzle, yes... Are they human? Yes. Immortal? Yope. How they got that way is relevant. Brothers? No. Ancestor/Descendant?No. Undead? No.

The dead man -- did he die of natural causes? No. Murdered? Accidental death? He died in battle, so his death was not accidental, but not murder.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm....wild guess time! Highlander?
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:47 pm

Hmmm....wild guess time! Highlander? No, I'm sorry.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Professions: Are they knights?

Wait a minute...another wild guess coming up!

The quest for the Holy Grail relevant?
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 06:01 pm

Professions: Are they knights?

The third man (the one who died in battle) was, among other titles he held. The other two were not, but one of them was nobility (or at least claimed it.)

Wait a minute...another wild guess coming up! guess away, but: honestly, you'd be better off staying with the SBQ's a bit longer...

The quest for the Holy Grail relevant? If I wanted to send you off on a wild goose chase, I could find a very tenous, extremely tortured connection and say 'yes-ish.' But I don't want to do that, so: No, not the Grail.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I wanted to send you off on a wild goose chase, I could find a very tenous, extremely tortured connection and say 'yes-ish.' But I don't want to do that, so: No, not the Grail. I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies.

The nobility: a king? Duke? Count? Baron? Marquis? Lord? Is his exact rank even relevant?

If the 3rd man didn't die, would the other other two still have achieved their 'immortality'?

The timing of the 3rd man's death: before the younger of the 'immortals' was born? after the younger of the 'immortals' was born? before the older one? after the older one?

At the time of the knight's death, were any of those two people 'immortal'?

These two 'immortals' -- can they be killed? If yes to the last question: assuming that they don't get killed, would they be expected to live forever?
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 05:10 pm

The nobility: a king? Duke? Count? This one. Baron? Marquis? Lord? Is his exact rank even relevant? YES. He's most often referred to by his title, not his name.

also: BLOOPER ALERT: He's two thousand years old, which is substantially more than 700+

If the 3rd man didn't die, would the other other two still have achieved their 'immortality'? Yes. His death had no bearing on their immortality.

The timing of the 3rd man's death:
before the younger of the 'immortals' was born? Yes.
after the younger of the 'immortals' was born? No.
before the older one? No.
after the older one? Yes. See Blooper above.

At the time of the knight's death, were any of those two people 'immortal'? Yes. The older of them already was, and had been for quite some time.

These two 'immortals' -- can they be killed? As I understand the subject, Yes. Their immortality is not invulnerability.
If yes to the last question: assuming that they don't get killed, would they be expected to live forever? They would live as long as they wanted to, but this area could stand some more exploration...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dracula?