[stuccosalt] Here I Come To Save The ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » [stuccosalt] Here I Come To Save The Day! « Previous Next »

(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I need to save the world is a plane ticket, a nice robe, some chloroform, and access to a cryogenic chamber.
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note: puzzle is either extremely silly or the most important thing you will ever read.
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what about beer ??? surely that must play a part ?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie):

what about beer ??? surely that must play a part ?
Come to think of it, yeah. That's pretty much vital to the success of this operation.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A plane ticket to anywhere specific? If so, the usual LTPF List of Continents, Countries etc. please :)
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit):

A plane ticket to anywhere specific? If so, the usual LTPF List of Continents, Countries etc. please

Vatican City
...and I'm glad you asked, b/c this puzzle should hopefully be a 1 or 2-dayer,max
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you planning on assassinating the new Pope!?!?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

emailed
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora):

Are you planning on assassinating the new Pope!?!? Heavens, no. Quite the opposite, in fact.

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:37 pm:

emailed ...and replied. Nice work!
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you freezing- yourself? The new Pope? The Old Pope? Someone else in the Vatican?
Are you chloroforming- yourself? The New Pope? The old Pope? (if so, I'm confused) Bodyguards?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the robe a religious one? To be precise, a papal one? one a cardinal would wear?

Would you intend on chloroforming, then cryogenicising (as far as I know, invented, = putting into a cryogenic chamber) the same person? And then imitating that person?

Would this plan involve you being confident in Italian? Latin?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you actually chloroform and cryogenicise an anti-pope? (Not sure if they still exist, but I may as well guess)

How many people would you cryogenicise - 1? 2? 3? more? - if more, which one, [insert list of integers higher than 3]?

The person(s) you would cryogenicise - would you intend on bringing them back to life later on? To escape a crisis? To deal with a crisis? To deal with the crisis that might be the asteroid crash in 2029?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check e-mail
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Eliot (Eliot):

Are you freezing- yourself? The new Pope? This one. The Old Pope? Someone else in the Vatican?
Are you chloroforming- yourself? The New Pope? This one again. The old Pope? (if so, I'm confused) Bodyguards? Maybe these too, if need be.

By Ed Mason (Logician):

Is the robe a religious one? Yes To be precise, a papal one? one a cardinal would wear? Probably this would work best.

Would you intend on chloroforming, then cryogenicising (as far as I know, invented, = putting into a cryogenic chamber) the same person? Yes...And then imitating that person? ...but no.

Would this plan involve you being confident in Italian? Latin? Hopefully not, or there will be more work for me to do.

By Ed Mason (Logician):

Would you actually chloroform and cryogenicise an anti-pope? (Not sure if they still exist, but I may as well guess) Nope, the current pope.

How many people would you cryogenicise - 1? 2? 3? more? - if more, which one, [insert list of integers higher than 3]? Just one.

The person(s) you would cryogenicise - would you intend on bringing them back to life later on? Unless my information changes, I'm afraid not. To escape a crisis? To deal with a crisis? To deal with the crisis that might be the asteroid crash in 2029?

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie):

check e-mail Got it - good job!
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you would cryogenicise the Pope Benedict, other than, say, put a bullet in his brain?

Is this because you don't agree with one of his policies? And don't want him leading the Catholic Church? Don't want him as a world leader in general? Don't want him influencing the decisions of another world leader?

Is this because you would rather someone else be Pope, and this is the easiest way to ensure that that happens quickly?

If the Pope were to die tomorrow, would you no longer need your plans? Or would your plans apply to whoever becomes Pope after him?

The robe: would you wear it? Would you put it on the Pope? On a Cardinal? On another member of the Catholic Church? On a corpse? On the body of the late John Paul II?

Would the robe be worn? Laid over something?

Whilst you would not impersonate Pope Benedict XVI, would someone else were this plan to take effect?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ed Mason (Logician):

Is it relevant that you would cryogenicise the Pope Benedict, other than, say, put a bullet in his brain? Very much so.

Is this because you don't agree with one of his policies? And don't want him leading the Catholic Church? Don't want him as a world leader in general? Don't want him influencing the decisions of another world leader? None of these. I've got no problems with him or his papal platform, as it were.

Is this because you would rather someone else be Pope, and this is the easiest way to ensure that that happens quickly? No. In fact...

If the Pope were to die tomorrow, would you no longer need your plans? Correct - if that happened, it would be too late.
Or would your plans apply to whoever becomes Pope after him? No, I'm afraid that wouldn't work.

The robe: would you wear it? Yes - just to get near the pope. Nothing else relevant about it.
Would you put it on the Pope? On a Cardinal? On another member of the Catholic Church? On a corpse? On the body of the late John Paul II? Would the robe be worn? Laid over something?

Whilst you would not impersonate Pope Benedict XVI, would someone else were this plan to take effect? No - the plan doesn't involve installing a fugazi pope.
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the Pope would get to see the future? That he would "live" longer than you? Would he remain Pope while frozen, so long as he was alive? Do you want him to permanently be Pope?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Eliot (Eliot):

Is it relevant that the Pope would get to see the future? Yope.
That he would "live" longer than you? Yope again.
Would he remain Pope while frozen, so long as he was alive? Yes!
Do you want him to permanently be Pope? BIG yes
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with his German nationality? Any policy of his?
Do you particularly not want another Pope ?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want him to permenantly be Pope because:

His real name is Joseph Ratzinger? He was born in Bavaria? His chosen name is Pope Benedict XVI? He is the 265th Pope? The next pope would be the 266th Pope? (which has got me thinking - what will happen in several hundred years time, when the 665th Pope dies?) He was born on Holy Saturday? He was a close friend of Pope John Paul II? He has a shady Nazist past (and might therefore be more active in condemning a fascist uprising)?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Eliot (Eliot):

Does this have to do with his German nationality? No
Any policy of his? No
Do you particularly not want another Pope ? Yope - this isn't about just me, I'm talking about saving the world here!

By Ed Mason (Logician):

Do you want him to permenantly be Pope because:

His real name is Joseph Ratzinger? He was born in Bavaria? His chosen name is Pope Benedict XVI? He is the 265th Pope? The next pope would be the 266th Pope? This is getting close,but there's a bit more to find out about it.
(which has got me thinking - what will happen in several hundred years time, when the 665th Pope dies?)
He was born on Holy Saturday? He was a close friend of Pope John Paul II? He has a shady Nazist past (and might therefore be more active in condemning a fascist uprising)?
None of the other things are relevant to the puzzle.
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it matter who the 266th Pope is likely to be? Will the appointment of the 266th pope be inherently bad for the world? Prophecy involved?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Eliot (Eliot):

Does it matter who the 266th Pope is likely to be? Yope - the specific person is not the issue.
Will the appointment of the 266th pope be inherently bad for the world? Quite.
Prophecy involved? YES - good questions.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

St. Malachy?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Benjamin Moore (Zenith):

St. Malachy? Yes! ... Would you care to put it all together, then I'll $poil..
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, according to http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp, in 1139, St. Malachy went to Rome to give an account to Pope Innocent II, where he recieved a vision ... of a long list of illustrious pontifs who would rule the Catholic Church til the end of time. According to this list, there were meant to be 112 popes since Celestine II in 1130, i.e 268 popes.
Pope John Paul II was declared in this document to be De labore Solis which means of the eclipse of the sun, or from the labour of the sun.
This is interesting since he was born during a solar eclipse, and was buried on the 8th of April, where an unusual hybrid eclipse was visable in the US.
Pope Benedict XVI was declared Gloria olivæ or "Glory of the Olives", and is the penultimate pontiff on the list, before In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremêdus judicabit populum suum. Finis.
(In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End.)
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the one -- so the plan is...
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I gather the world won't end until Peter the Roman is the head of the Catholic Church, and a new pope will not be appointed unless the current one dies. Therefore you kidnap him and put him in the freeze indefinitely so he won't be able to die - and hence is officially the pontiff for all eternity.
Although if you were to do that, the Roman Catholic Church would have to go through a dramatic change anyway, since now there head is an icecube who can't really govern anything, but is a safeguard against the end of the world. So, effectively, you would have ended the Catholic Church yourself! :)
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I gather the world won't end until Peter the Roman is the head of the Catholic Church, and a new pope will not be appointed unless the current one dies. Therefore you kidnap him and put him in the freeze indefinitely so he won't be able to die - and hence is officially the pontiff for all eternity.
Although if you were to do that, the Roman Catholic Church would have to go through a dramatic change anyway, since now there head is an icecube who can't really govern anything, but is a safeguard against the end of the world. So, effectively, you would have ended the Catholic Church yourself! Maybe you're right, but desperate times call for desperate measures... chalk it up to friendly fire...
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

* * * * ***SPOILER*** * * * *

All I need to save the world is a plane ticket, a nice robe, some chloroform, and access to a cryogenic chamber.

According to (at least one interpretation of) the prophecies of St. Malachy, 112 popes would sit at the head of the Catholic church following Malachy's time, and the 112th would witness Judgment Day. Pope Benedict XVI is thought to be the 111th pope, meaning that the pope immediately following him will be the last before the end of the world.

However, if Pope Benedict XVI is cryogenically frozen, we may be able to stave off the world's end indefinitely.

More details will be provided in the coming weeks at a Web site I just registered (seriously), www.FreezeThePope.com -- really it'll just be silly humor once I have some time to work on it, and submissions/suggestions from clever LTPFers are welcome.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although, as the site I mentioned says, Petrus Romus need not be the 112th Pope at all, but there maybe any number of Popes between 111 and 112!

It also says that the document may have been forged by some Jesuits in the 16th century. I live in a college run by the Jesuits, and so I might just ask them what they think about this...
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay, FreezeThePope.com :) I can hardly wait for a site with a name like that to get set up :)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: