[Paradox] Drop of Incrimination Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2005 » [Paradox] Drop of Incrimination « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 18, 2005Damien Sullivan22 5-18-05  11:41 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had he re-used coffins? Were the bodies undamaged (not damaged by human hands, I mean)? Should the bodies have been buried? Somewhere else? Cremated?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did a flood occur in a cemetery? basically
Were the headstones made of wood, but disguised as marble? irrelevant
Were the bodies in an unexpected location? yes
Were they in coffins? yope

Were the remains "missing" property they were supposed to buried with? no

Had he re-used coffins? no
Were the bodies undamaged (not damaged by human hands, I mean)? yes
Should the bodies have been buried? they should have been, but with the rain...
Somewhere else? in the cemetary
Cremated? no
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he bury the bodies improperly?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he bury the bodies improperly? no-ish
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he commit some act of negligence?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he commit some act of negligence? yope...he didn't really keep in mind the event of a flood, but there wouldn't have been much he could have done to prevent such an occurrence.
LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rain essentially turned the coffins into giant floats, since they were sealed airtight and filled with air (and a corpse, usually)... so when the flood occurred, the coffins 'exhumed' themselves, exposing his secret.
LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

his secret being that certain coffins surfaced, and others were nowhere to be found???
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the bodies uncovered by the flood the same as surviving family had seen them upon their burials (still clothed, wearing jewelry, etc.)?

Were the coffins still in the same condition as surviving family had seen them upon their burials?

Were the coffins buried properly (correct depth, etc.)?

Are any other burial trappings such as tombstones relevant?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rain essentially turned the coffins into giant floats, since they were sealed airtight and filled with air (and a corpse, usually)... so when the flood occurred, the coffins 'exhumed' themselves, exposing his secret. not exactly, but you've got the gist...

his secret being that certain coffins surfaced, and others were nowhere to be found??? all coffins surfaced...

Were the bodies uncovered by the flood the same as surviving family had seen them upon their burials (still clothed, wearing jewelry, etc.)? yes, but...

Were the coffins still in the same condition as surviving family had seen them upon their burials? no

Were the coffins buried properly (correct depth, etc.)? they could have been buried better...

Are any other burial trappings such as tombstones relevant? no
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that many cemeteries require vaults around the coffins, so the coffins shouldn't have exhumed themselves?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he harvesting parts of the corpses for some reason?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that many cemeteries require vaults around the coffins, so the coffins shouldn't have exhumed themselves? there were no vaults, so that was a mistake, I guess, but I didn't even really know about that, so it's not a big deal

was he harvesting parts of the corpses for some reason? no
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... I guess I'm confused as to what we're still trying to solve for.

Was he doing anything with these corpses other than burying them in a non-cemetary location (technically illegal)? Was THAT the reason he was arrested?

If he was doing something else with these corpses, does it involve... theft (Wait, you said they had all their stuff)? Necrophilia? Canibalism? Soap (See Fight Club for details)? harvesting something from the coffin itself?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... I guess I'm confused as to what we're still trying to solve for. I'll recap in a second
Was he doing anything with these corpses other than burying them in a non-cemetary location (technically illegal)? it was a cemetery location, but the cemetary location was not in the best of spots.
Was THAT the reason he was arrested? no

If he was doing something else with these corpses, does it involve... theft (Wait, you said they had all their stuff)? yes
Necrophilia? no
Canibalism? no
Soap (See Fight Club for details)? nope
harvesting something from the coffin itself? no
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everybody's a little confused, and hey, I'm a little confused myself, so for the sake of all, let's...

***********RECAP***********

An undertaker for a town committed a crime of theft. A long rain occurred, and the resulting flood uncovered all (or at least most) of the coffins in the cemetary. He did not steal any of the bodies, nor any of the items in the coffins, nor anything off of the coffins themselves, yet somehow the man's crime was revealed. What did the man steal, and how was it revealed by the coffins?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he steal money from around the town or elsewhere? The local bank? Jewelry store? Other? Is he a robber that was never caught until now? And he hid his stolen goods in the coffins?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he steal money from around the town or elsewhere? yes, around the town
The local bank? bo
Jewelry store? no
Other? yes
Is he a robber that was never caught until now? yes
And he hid his stolen goods in the coffins? no
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had he stolen from multiple people? or places? in the town?

Had he stolen objects? or money?

Did the people he stole from know that they had been robbed at the time of the robbery? or did they only find out after the flood?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had he stolen from multiple people? I suppose, although it could just as easily have been only one person
or places? yes, from places
in the town? yes

Had he stolen objects? this
or money? but really, this would work just as well, I guess

Did the people he stole from know that they had been robbed at the time of the robbery? sort of
or did they only find out after the flood? they just understood the situation more after the flood
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so the gravedigger stole... STUFF (could be money, could be items/antiques, could be jewelry, we don't care?)... from around the town and then he...

Hid the stolen goods? Hid them someplace related to the coffins? But not IN the coffins? Did he hide the goods in the Mausoleums? Burried the coffins rather than putting them in stone chambers that would have kept them from surfacing? Did this event take place in/near New Orleans? (is that last bit even relevant?)
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so the gravedigger stole... STUFF (could be money, could be items/antiques, could be jewelry, we don't care?)nope, no caring involved...
... from around the town and then he...

Hid the stolen goods?
Hid them someplace related to the coffins? But not IN the coffins? Did he hide the goods in the Mausoleums? Burried the coffins rather than putting them in stone chambers that would have kept them from surfacing? Did this event take place in/near New Orleans? (is that last bit even relevant?) to tell you the truth, none of this is all that relevant...yes, he probably hid the goods, no probably not in a place related to his job...it's the stealing part that you should focus on
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there ANYTHING unusual about the coffins? Or did they just look like ordinary coffins?
*Examines an etching in a coffin that appears to be a detailed confession of the thefts and his methods*

Was the undertaker superstitious? Did the surfacing coffins freak him out and make him run and confess everything? Is confession involved at all? Signed, verbal, or otherwise?
Annelies Horckmans (Annls)
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flood revealed the coffins, did it reveal anything else?

So it is not important what he stole but how he stole and hid his stolen goods?

Is it important where the cemetary was located in the town?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there ANYTHING unusual about the coffins? not the coffins themselves, no
Or did they just look like ordinary coffins? they did
*Examines an etching in a coffin that appears to be a detailed confession of the thefts and his methods*

Was the undertaker superstitious? irrel
Did the surfacing coffins freak him out and make him run and confess everything? no
Is confession involved at all? Signed, verbal, or otherwise? nope

The flood revealed the coffins, did it reveal anything else? not physically

So it is not important what he stole but how he stole and hid his stolen goods? how he stole (but not really how he hid)

Is it important where the cemetary was located in the town? only important as a means of understanding why the coffins surfaced
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had he dug tunnels under the graves in order to gain access to buildings which he then burgled?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had he dug tunnels under the graves in order to gain access to buildings which he then burgled? no (but I do like this idea)
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has he dug up and stolen the expensive coffins people have ordered and replaced them with cheap imitations?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has he dug up and stolen the expensive coffins people have ordered and replaced them with cheap imitations? no, but another good idea (geez, I should just let you guys write my own puzzles for me.)

In order to help lead you in the right direction, let me suggest to you this: Get less broad and more specific...
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there are no objections to me spoiling this puzzle in 5 days, then I will do so.
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alright, five days turned into about five minutes, I'm just going to spoil.

***************SPOILER***************

An undertaker and gravedigger in a small, superstitious town in the 1800's is running out of money. His wife had died a few years previously and his only daughter is about to move away to a bigger city with her fiancee. The man develops a plan along with his daughter and her future husband to gain some extra money. Together, they fake the girl's death from disease and they "bury" her in a coffin (which is, of course, empty) in a plot in the graveyard. A few nights later, the girl sneaks into the houses of the other villagers and steals some of their most valuable items. Although some of the villagers spot her, they are superstitious and believe that it is her ghost, and her father and fiancee play up the idea as well. The daughter and the fiancee then move away, sell the items, and send some money back to the undertaker. The villagers find their stuff gone, but still believe it was the girl's spectre...until one day, heavy rain falls on the village. The graveyard is located at the top of a large and fairly steep hill to the north of town. The rain continues to fall, and the hill eventually gives way into a mudslide, carrying some of the coffins with them and smashing them into the buildings below. As the villagers finally gain the nerve to clean up the gruesome mess, they find the girl's coffin partially broken, but not shattered. When they peer inside, and see no body, they eventually guess the situation. They cannot find the daughter and the fiancee, but they have the man thrown into prison (probably more like lynched, but whatever).

I am well aware that this story is complicated, convoluted, confusing, and unbelievable, which is why I felt it must be spoiled. I'm not even sure how I came up with that idea. Oh well. Bye, weird puzzle. R.I.P.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: