Archive through May 03, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » [Rabrab] But he knows how to tie a tie » Archive through May 03, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I see. Btw, I know what you mean about contradictory accounts about this person. Another version I've heard places his birth at 1690, and I was trying to see if maybe St. Germain was the younger immortal instead of the older one. And if I cheat and resort to Google, I'm sure I can find quite a few more stories of him. :)

I'll try to puzzle out your "variant", if you don't mind.

Did St. Germain drink a magic potion that granted him immortality? Perform some sort of magic spell?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:58 pm:

Oh, I see. Btw, I know what you mean about contradictory accounts about this person. Another version I've heard places his birth at 1690, and I was trying to see if maybe St. Germain was the younger immortal instead of the older one. And if I cheat and resort to Google, I'm sure I can find quite a few more stories of him. Truly. He's all over the place for about 150 years but nothing solid before or after. Quite the mysterious fellow.

I'll try to puzzle out your "variant", if you don't mind. I don't mind at all. Let me know if you find yourself unduly frustrated.

Did St. Germain drink a magic potion that granted him immortality? Yes, Perform some sort of magic spell? and yes, here, too, for some value of "spell"
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm baaaack!

Would the potion alone be adequate to make the good Comte immortal? Did he make the younger immortal drink it?

Was the younger immortal a blood relation to Richard the Lionhearted?
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:05 pm

I'm baaaack! Hi!! Busy week?

Would the potion alone be adequate to make the good Comte immortal? Yes, but... Did he make the younger immortal drink it? You mean force him to? No to that.

Was the younger immortal a blood relation to Richard the Lionhearted? No.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Busy week? Actually no....took Friday and Monday off work, so I didn't get onto the LTPF. A much needed break after 1 month in the grind, though. :)

I guess I should have clarified: Did the younger immortal drink the magic potion? If yes, did he do so on the suggestion of St. Germain?

The reason that the younger immortal wanted to be immortal: anything to do with Richard? Is his motivation even relevant to the puzzle?

And another wild shot: would the younger immortal be considered part of the peasantry?
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:51 pm

Busy week? Actually no....took Friday and Monday off work, so I didn't get onto the LTPF. A much needed break after 1 month in the grind, though. A break is always good.

I guess I should have clarified: Did the younger immortal drink the magic potion? Yes, he did. If yes, did he do so on the suggestion of St. Germain? Yes. He probably could have refused the suggestion, though, if he had wanted to.

The reason that the younger immortal wanted to be immortal: anything to do with Richard? No. Richard himself is pretty much peripheral to the puzzle, you've got the important information about him already. Is his motivation even relevant to the puzzle? No.

And another wild shot: would the younger immortal be considered part of the peasantry? No.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was St. Germain some sort of advisor/cousellor to Richard? Was the younger immortal a servant of some sort to St. Germain? Was he the butler, by any chance?

By the time this puzzle starts, was the younger immortal already immortal?
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:54 pm

Was St. Germain some sort of advisor/cousellor to Richard? Kind of, yes-ish. What's relevant is that St. Germain claimed to have been on friendly terms with Richard Was the younger immortal a servant of some sort to St. Germain? YES! Was he the butler, by any chance? Not this, though.

By the time this puzzle starts, was the younger immortal already immortal? You mean by the mid-18th century? Yes.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything else relevant we have to discover between St. Germain and Richard? You said the relationship of the younger immortal to Richard is also relevant -- was he also friendly with Richard? And advisor/cousellor to Richard?

Is it important exactly what kind of servant the younger immortal is? Or is servant good enough for puzzle purposes?
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:02 pm

Is there anything else relevant we have to discover between St. Germain and Richard? No, not really. They were on friendly, speaking terms--that's the important part. You said the relationship of the younger immortal to Richard is also relevant -- was he also friendly with Richard? And advisor/cousellor to Richard? No. It's actually his lack of relationship to Richard that's important--remember, he was born after Richard was aleady dead.

Is it important exactly what kind of servant the younger immortal is? Or is servant good enough for puzzle purposes? What kind of servant would be helpful--or at least what class of servant.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alrighty then....he the younger immortal a groomsman? Stable boy? Gardener? Undergardener? Cook/Chef? Sous-chef? Hansom/Stagecoach driver (did they even have those?)? Standard bearer? Gatekeeper? Head servant?
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 09:08 pm

Alrighty then....he the younger immortal a groomsman? Stable boy? Gardener? Undergardener? Cook/Chef? Sous-chef? none of these... Hansom/Stagecoach driver (did they even have those?)Yes, they had them. No, he wasn't? Standard bearer? Gatekeeper? Head servant?Nor was he one of these.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch...Oh fer 10! Back to the drawing board...

Did something Richard say/do to St. Germain cause him to think of helping the younger immortal achieve immortality?
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:23 pm

Did something Richard say/do to St. Germain cause him to think of helping the younger immortal achieve immortality? No.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the younger immortal something like a spy for St. Germain? Was it well known that the younger immortal was St. Germain's servant?

Was St. Germain telling his servant some anecdote or story about Richard?
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 06:40 pm

Was the younger immortal something like a spy for St. Germain? No. Was it well known that the younger immortal was St. Germain's servant? Yes, quite well known, and quite obvious, too.

Was St. Germain telling his servant some anecdote or story about Richard? So close!... but he wasn't telling his servant...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he telling that story or anecdote to the company around them?
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:37 pm

Was he telling that story or anecdote to the company around them? BINGO!
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the exact content of this story relevant to the puzzle?
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:06 am

Is the exact content of this story relevant to the puzzle? No, the exact content is completely irrelevant. You've got the most important bit--that it was about Richard Coeur de Leon.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so we have St. Germain telling a story about the Lionheart to a company of people, with his trusty immortal servant in close attendence. Has it been 500 years since St. Germain told this story?

Could you please help refocus my attentions a bit? What do I still have to discover?
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:04 pm

Ok, so we have St. Germain telling a story about the Lionheart to a company of people, with his trusty immortal servant in close attendence. Has it been 500 years since St. Germain told this story? No.

Could you please help refocus my attentions a bit? What do I still have to discover?

Sure.

Comte St. Germain, with his younger, but still immortal bodyservant in attendance on him at a formal dinner in the mid-1700's, was regaling a group of people with an anecdote about a conversation he (St Germain) had with Richard I in Palestine during the Third Crusade. The company was not convinced.

What you have left to discover: What had "only been five hundred years"?, and how was it relevant to the conversation at the dinner table?

The answer to the first question is revealed (in a lateral way) in an earlier answer. The answer to the second can be deduced from the first.