[Grainbeer] Destiny´s children... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Grainbeer] Destiny´s children « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 21, 2005David Burn22 5-21-05  3:18 pm
Archive through May 24, 2005Einar Berg22 5-24-05  6:19 pm
Archive through May 31, 2005Einar Berg22 5-31-05  9:35 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that geese are pretty effective 'watch dogs'. Maybe turkeys, too - is that relevant?
Is it relevant where the turkeys started their flight into the monastery from? Flight formations relevant?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that geese are pretty effective 'watch dogs'. Maybe turkeys, too - is that relevant? No
Is it relevant where the turkeys started their flight into the monastery from? Yes! Good question! Flight formations relevant? No
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the turkeys start their flight ... from something above the monastery walls? something airborne even? did they start outside the monastery at all?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bless you Martin! I was feeling quite trapped in a whole series of deadends. I'll be back tomorrow.
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the turkeys start their flight ... from something above the monastery walls? Yes Something airborne even? Even airborne, yes :)

Did they start outside the monastery at all? So sure did
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the turkeys fly (or sail) themselves? Or where they some sort of cargo drop?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the turkeys fly (or sail) themselves? Well... since turkeys can fly, but are bad flyers, they partly flew... Or where they some sort of cargo drop? ...and was partly like a cargo drop
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they start their flight .. on a ballon? plane? kite? flying carpet?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they start their flight .. on a ballon? plane? From planes kite? flying carpet?
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When they were dropped, where they inside something (e.g. a crate)? Was something attached to them (e.g. parachutes)?
Is it relevant how many exactly were dropped?
Did the droppers intend to drop them at all? did they land at the intended goal? Did the droppers try to help the people in the monastery? Where the droppers for some reason not able to drop food supplies? and had to use self-flying food, so to speak?
Did the attackers attack the planes? Did they wan't to, but didn't suceed? Did the succeed? relevant?
Did the turkeys do their job of helping the people while airborne? Did they bild a midair curtain, or in other words, did they screen something from view?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When they were dropped, where they inside something (e.g. a crate)? No Was something attached to them (e.g. parachutes)? Yes, but not parachutes

Is it relevant how many exactly were dropped? no
Did the droppers intend to drop them at all? Yes did they land at the intended goal? yope Did the droppers try to help the people in the monastery? yes Where the droppers for some reason not able to drop food supplies? maybe - I don´t know and had to use self-flying food, so to speak? that was part of the idea, yes
Did the attackers attack the planes? Probably. Not important. Did they wan't to, but didn't suceed? Did the succeed? relevant? No - not relevant

Did the turkeys do their job of helping the people while airborne? no Did they bild a midair curtain, or in other words, did they screen something from view? no

You´ve solved a lot of this puzzle now. Go on to the final stage :)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Martin!

Were they attatched to gliders? to kites or something like a kite?

Yope to "did they land at the intended goal": was the intended goal inside the monastery walls? if not did they land nearer? farther? away than was intended?
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, at the risk of being totally random, im kinda curious about the less useful turkeys. like, were they in the plane too? and were they dropped? and maybe they didnt make it over the wall for some reason? and the thing(s) attached to the more useful turkeys, was it attached to them too?

and am i wrong that the attached thing(s) were tied/glued/otherwise artificially stuck TO the turkeys as opposed to being a natural part OF the turkeys? cus all the sudden i started thinking of icarus and daedalus, and it started bugging me...
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara:

Were they attatched to gliders? No to kites or something like a kite? No

Yope to "did they land at the intended goal": was the intended goal inside the monastery walls? Yes if not did they land nearer? farther? away than was intended?

Dena:
ok, at the risk of being totally random, im kinda curious about the less useful turkeys. like, were they in the plane too? Yes and were they dropped? Yes and maybe they didnt make it over the wall for some reason? Yes and the thing(s) attached to the more useful turkeys, was it attached to them too? Yes

and am i wrong that the attached thing(s) were tied/glued/otherwise artificially stuck TO the turkeys as opposed to being a natural part OF the turkeys? No, you are right about this. These things were not a natural part of the turkeys. cus all the sudden i started thinking of icarus and daedalus, and it started bugging me... Frankly, I cannot envision turkeys as heaven-storming half-gods.... :)

Maybe a small hint could come in handy? If you want it, drag your mouse over the following line: Read the initial puzzle text once more.
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to double-check, weve established what divides the turkeys into two groups, right? the ones who entered the monastery and the ones who didnt? and weve cleared up the yope as to whether or not they made it to their goal? and mostly all we have left to figure is how the ones who missed the mark ultimately saved the lives of those under seige? is that right?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to double-check, weve established what divides the turkeys into two groups, right? the ones who entered the monastery and the ones who didnt? Right. Some entered the monastery, and some didn´t. and weve cleared up the yope as to whether or not they made it to their goal? Er... those who entered the monastery, made it to their goal. The other ones didn´t. It´s as simple as that. and mostly all we have left to figure is how the ones who missed the mark ultimately saved the lives of those under seige? is that right? No. That is wrongly interpreted. And I still can´t see that you have revealed what kind of aid some of these turkeys provided.
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what was attached to the turkeys supposed to aid in getting them into the monastery? or was it somethng else that the droppers wanted to also get into the monastery? (e.g. packets of explosives, ammo, pieces-parts for something that the besieged people were trying to construct?)
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what was attached to the turkeys supposed to aid in getting them into the monastery? or was it somethng else that the droppers wanted to also get into the monastery? (e.g. packets of explosives, ammo, pieces-parts for something that the besieged people were trying to construct?)

Exactly - this is it. The pilots attached fragile warfare supplies to the turkeys and dropped them over the monastery. Because turkeys are mediocre flyers, they would flap their wings and thus ensure a soft landing, but at the same time not fly away in some other direction, like good flyers would do. Hence the turkeys acted like live, edible parachutes.

But this was not a precision method, and some of them missed the target and thus escaped their destiny as food provision for the besieged soldiers inside the monastery...so those were the ones that did not aid, and which were not killed (immediately, at least)..

I think it´s spoiling time... thanks for hanging on to this puzzle! :)
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

************************ SPOILER ************************

During the Spanish Civil War (1936 - 1939), a group of Nationalist soldiers and
Guardia Civil were besieged by Republican forces in the monastery on Santa Maria de la Cabeza near Cordoba.

The Nationalist pilots devised an original method of dropping fragile supplies. They attached them to live turkeys which descended flapping their wings, thus serving as parachutes which could also be eaten by the defenders. It was not a very precise method of course, and some turkeys probably missed their target.

The besieged contingent of soldiers were eventually overcome by a mass assualt. They had then kept the fortified monastery for several months.
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa. That makes sense. It's bizarre, but it makes sense. I'm looking forward to '...the rest -- of the story."}
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some of those who failed to aid them, saved their lives. i still dont get that part.
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some of those who failed to aid them, saved their lives. i still dont get that part. It´s just a somewhat epic interpretation of the destiny of those turkeys who failed to land inside the monastery, and thus escaped. In my imagination, some of these turkeys were never caught. So they saved their lives. Well... at least until the hand grenades strapped to them eventually blew up.... :)
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saved their own lives, or the lives of the 'them' originally stated? Saved the lives of 'them', not their own

im still confused. and i really need to learn to do bold text.
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Einar. This was a fascinating puzzle. Frustrating, but still excellent.
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I liked the puzzle. And to me, it wasn't frustrating at all :)

Dena: The turkeys not landing inside the monastery saved themselves ('their lives') by doing exactly that: not landing inside the monastery. Which in turn saved them from being eaten. Bold text is done like this \b{text}.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: