Archive through May 18, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » [woubit] The water here is hard » Archive through May 18, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even were I prepared to pay twice the usual price, they would not admit me.
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you're not properly dressed?
Is "the usual price" a finite positive amount of money?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:34 pm:

Because you're not properly dressed? I scarcely ever am, but that isn't the reason I would not be admitted
Is "the usual price" a finite positive amount of money? no
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "twice the usual price" something logically impossible? Like if "the usual price" is one's firstborn child?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Admit you: let you enter a place? grant you membership in a group?

Would they being willing to admit you if you were prepared to pay four times the usual price? Ten times? under no circumstances?

Is the usual price measured in physical effort? mental effort? Is it money at all? is it paid in something physical that is non-money (like the occasional charity function where admission is paid in non-perishable food for a food pantry?) Does it vary from person to person?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

Is "twice the usual price" something logically impossible? no, nor physically impossible Like if "the usual price" is one's firstborn child? no, but a most ingenious notion :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

Admit you: let you enter a place? {this one} grant you membership in a group?

Would they being willing to admit you if you were prepared to pay four times the usual price? no Ten times? no under no circumstances? well, there are circumstances under which they would in fact admit me, but these have nothing to do with "the usual price"

Is the usual price measured in physical effort? no mental effort? no Is it money at all? no is it paid in something physical that is non-money yes, but to think of it as being "paid" in the usual way is misleading (like the occasional charity function where admission is paid in non-perishable food for a food pantry?) but not this kind of thing Does it vary from person to person? no
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they real? human? currently alive? How many of them are there?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:18 pm:

Are they real? yes human? yes currently alive? yes How many of them are there? about five million, but they are not all concerned directly with the admission process
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they the residents of this place to which you would not be admitted? Is the place a country? In which continent is it located?

Is this a silly puzzle?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:40 pm:

Are they the residents of this place to which you would not be admitted? yes Is the place a country? yes In which continent is it located? Asia

Is this a silly puzzle? all my puzzles are silly. But this one is not especially so.
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the circumstances under which they would admit you have to do with:

the number of other people already admitted?
The time of day?
the day of the week?
the day of the year?
your appearance?
some piece of knowlege on your part?

the whim of the person? people? in charge of admissions? (Out of that 5 million 'They', how many people are directly concerned with the admission process, anyway? One? more than one but fewer than ten? more then ten but fewer than a hundred? more then a hundred but fewer than five hundred? more than five hundred but fewer than a thousand? More than a thousand?)

Something you must? or must not? do? or have done in the past?

you meeting some additional criteria? if yes, is this additional criteria
subjective (like being 'their kind of people'?)
objective (like your address?)
measureable (like your IQ?)
tangible (like your height?)
ideological (like your political affiliation?)
financial?

"To think of it as being paid in the usual way is misleading"
OK, is it a physical thing that you are expected to provide to some group? organization? person? who isn't directly involved in the admission process?
A physical act that you are expected to perform but that requires no physical effort on your part (like having your head shaved or getting a tattoo?)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the usual price consist of one tangible item? more than one? (if so, how many?) Is the usual price something that most people in the UK would be able to pay? Does it make sense to attach a monetary value to the item(s) involved in the usual price?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:54 pm:

Do the circumstances under which they would admit you have to do with:

the number of other people already admitted?
The time of day?
the day of the week?
the day of the year?
your appearance? this one
some piece of knowlege on your part?

the whim of the person? people? in charge of admissions? no (Out of that 5 million 'They', how many people are directly concerned with the admission process, anyway? One? more than one but fewer than ten? more then ten but fewer than a hundred? more then a hundred but fewer than five hundred? more than five hundred but fewer than a thousand? More than a thousand?) I am not sure. I guess it's however many government officials it takes to fram an admissions policy, and however many immigration people it takes to enforce one.

Something you must? or must not? do? or have done in the past? well, there is something I have done in the past that means they would not admit me

you meeting some additional criteria? if yes, is this additional criteria
subjective (like being 'their kind of people'?)
objective (like your address?)
measureable (like your IQ?)
tangible (like your height?) this kind of thing, though I would not say that "my height" is "tangible"
ideological (like your political affiliation?)
financial?

"To think of it as being paid in the usual way is misleading"
OK, is it a physical thing yope that you are expected to provide to some group? organization? person? this one who isn't directly involved in the admission process? yes
A physical act that you are expected to perform but that requires no physical effort on your part (like having your head shaved or getting a tattoo?) no, although...

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:56 pm:

Does the usual price consist of one tangible item? more than one? (this one if so, how many? ten ) Is the usual price something that most people in the UK would be able to pay? I guess so, if they put their minds to it, but almost no one would actually do so Does it make sense to attach a monetary value to the item(s) involved in the usual price? yes, but this may vary considerably. You could manage it for a few hundred pounds, or you could spend a great deal more/
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

finger prints relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:22 pm:

finger prints relevant? no, but good thinking
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzzard's questions and your answers establishing that it was a country were posted while I was typing all that --sorry for the irrelevancies.

Are we talking about admittance to the country for emigration? or temporary admittance for tourism purposes? or for some other reasons?

Are the ten tangible things letters of recommendation? certifications of some sort? something along this line?

The additional criteria: genetic? ethnic? racial?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

Buzzard's questions and your answers establishing that it was a country were posted while I was typing all that --sorry for the irrelevancies. no problem - often happens that way :)

Are we talking about admittance to the country for emigration? yes or temporary admittance for tourism purposes? and yes or for some other reasons? and yes

Are the ten tangible things letters of recommendation? certifications of some sort? something along this line? nothing like this

The additional criteria: genetic? ethnic? racial? noone of these, and I may have confused the issue by talking about "additional criteria". To attempt to clarify: they would not admit me purely because of my appearance, which has nothing to do with my ethnicity. But the "price" I might pay has nothing to do with whether or not they would admit me - it is not a fee to enter the country.
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thanks for the clarification
Is the price you'd pay restrictions on your movements? or actions? abilities or activities that you currently have that you'd be required to forswear? activities that you currently don't have to participate in that you'd be required to take up?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:50 pm:

Is the price you'd pay restrictions on your movements? or actions? abilities or activities that you currently have that you'd be required to forswear? activities that you currently don't have to participate in that you'd be required to take up? no - the price I would pay comes in the form of ten entirely tangible objects
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with beards? Is the Taliban relevant to the puzzle?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They would not admit you because of something physical <-- your "talent" at mumbling?

The ten tangible items, are they differenct instances of the same item?