[Nimue] Ha, Ha, She's Dead: A True St... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » [Nimue] Ha, Ha, She's Dead: A True Story « Previous Next »

M (not her real initial) was not famous enough to have her death reported on the front page of The New York Times, but they mentioned there in order to make a joke.

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 28, 2005Felicia Nimue Ackerm22 5-28-05  9:32 pm
Archive through June 14, 2005Felicia Nimue Ackerm22 6-14-05  9:04 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she primarily known for writing short stories? plays? poetry?

Website=yope: not a website but something internet-related? software?
Felicia Nimue Ackerman (Nimue)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 09:17 pm:

Is she primarily known for writing short stories? no plays? no poetry?no

Website=yope: not a website but something internet-related? no, the 'yope' is just because she died before the heyday of the Internet software? see previous answer
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she a newspaper columnist? Magazine columnist? A runway model? Ever married to somebody important? Involved with women's make-up? A spokeswoman for jewelry?

The books she DID write, were they...
Fiction?
Science Fiction?
Fantasy?
Non-Fiction?
Historical?
A collection of her previous work?
Self-help Books?
Biographies?
Inspirational?
Religious?
Political?
Sexual?
Death by autoerrotic asphyxiation?
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

Was she a newspaper columnist? no Magazine columnist? no A runway model? no Ever married to
somebody important? no Involved with women's make-up? no A spokeswoman for jewelry? no

The books she DID write, were they...
Fiction? no
Science Fiction? no
Fantasy? no
Non-Fiction? yes
Historical? no
A collection of her previous work? yope
Self-help Books? yesish
Biographies? no
Inspirational? no
Religious? no
Political? no
Sexual? no
Death by autoerrotic asphyxiation?no
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she translate books? bowdlerise them? assemble the work of others into a book? illustrate them?

is she associated with one particular book?
is the title of one particular book relevant to this puzzle? or one particular series of books?
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:00 am:

did she translate books? no bowdlerise them? no assemble the work of others into a book? no
illustrate them? no

is she associated with one particular book? no
is the title of one particular book relevant to this puzzle? no or one particular series of books? no
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the subject matter of the books that she wrote relevant?
Is the subject matter of the books that she wrote directly related to the service she provided?
Did she educate adults? teenagers? children?
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she was not famous enough for her death to make the front page - but was she famous enough for a standard obituary?
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y John Faben (Bentarm) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 05:09 pm: Hi John!! Welcome back!!

Is the subject matter of the books that she wrote relevant? yes
Is the subject matter of the books that she wrote directly related to the service she provided? yes

Did she educate adults? yes teenagers? yes children? unlikely

By John Faben (Bentarm) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

she was not famous enough for her death to make the front page - but was she famous
enough for a standard obituary? yes
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with Women's Liberation? Women's place in the work place?
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 09:09 am:

Anything to do with Women's Liberation? no Women's place in the work place? no
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... I need a recap and maybe even a refocus.
What I think I know: M died and her obituary would never have made the front page, except her name was recognizable and there was something funny about her situation, though not necessarily funny about her death. Her job is most relevant. M ran her own buisness here in the US. She was famous for being the first person to have this job (around 1950). She was a writer and her writings were educational, but not really what she was known for. Her buisness didn't involve manufacture, but services for clients. This service is still offered and it's related to education; specialized instruction regarding literature and was not socially accepted at the time. Her own writings were non-fiction books and possibly self-help and/or collections of previous work.

Ok... that said, I think we were on a better track when we were trying to figure out the services provided by that buisness.

Were the services:
Tutoring? Teaching? Training? (Yes, there's a difference) in some particular subject... literature, apparently.

I'm not sure what the unacceptable literature could be since the big issues in the 50s were women in the work place, communism, and playboy. But you said it wasn't sexual, political, or related to women's lib. Is there some other hot topic I'm missing? Is it relevant?

Was she a lawyer perhaps? Or ran a law firm? Were the buisness services strictly training/teaching? Or involved consulting? Involve diagnosing? Counseling?
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the phonics/whole-word reading schism? the New Math? methods of education? the psychology of learning? speed-reading? (Evelyn Wood?) tutoring? (Silva Learning?) Cliff Notes?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this woman or her work involve...

Flannery O'Conner?
Eudora Welty?
The Society of Women Engineers?
Oveta Culp Hobby?
The WAAC (Women's Auxilliary Army Corps)?
Jacqueline Cochran?
Rosa Parks?
La Leche League?
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... I need a recap and maybe even a refocus.
What I think I know: M died and her obituary would never have made the front page, yes except her name was recognizable yes and there was something funny about her situation, yope though not necessarily funny about her death. yes, her death wasn 't funny Her job is most relevant. yes M ran her own buisness here in the US. yes She was famous for being the first person to have this job (around 1950). yes--rough estimate She was a writer yes and her writings were educational yes, but not really what she was known for.yesish Her buisness didn't involve manufacture, but services for clients. yes This service is still offered and it's related to education yes; specialized instruction regarding literature yesish and was not socially accepted at the time noish. Her own writings were non-fiction books yes and possibly self-help
yesish and/or collections of previous work. ditto

Ok... that said, I think we were on a better track when we were trying to figure out the services provided by that buisness.

Were the services:
Tutoring? Teaching? Training? (Yes, there's a difference) in some particular subject... literature, apparently. to the extent that there's a difference, she provided all three, but probably much less totoring as she became more famous
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:43 pm:

Does this woman or her work involve...

Flannery O'Conner? yesish
Eudora Welty? yesish
The Society of Women Engineers? yesish
Oveta Culp Hobby? huh??
The WAAC (Women's Auxilliary Army Corps)? yesish
Jacqueline Cochran? who??
Rosa Parks? possibly
La Leche League yesish By all these 'yesishes" I mean her work could apply to these, not that she workerd with them directly (BIG HINT!!!!
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My questions of July 6, 5:36?
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:36 am:

the phonics/whole-word reading schism? no the New Math? no methods of education? noish the psychology of learning? noish speed-reading? YES!!!!! (Evelyn Wood? YES!!!!) tutoring? see previous answers (Silva Learning?\
b{ no}) Cliff Notes? no
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

My questions of July 6, 5:36? Done, with my apologies for my oversight & my thanks for your getting the person!!!!!!! The obituary was for Evelyn Wood, the originator of spped-reading. So now it should be easy to figure out why the NYTimes had a little clip on the front page, mentioning her death & making a joke. What was the joke??
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*contemplates what people could possibly have against speed-reading*

"Wood Stiff"

Oh... except you said it wasn't her name that was funny....

"Wood slows to Zero WPM"
Veggie-Trunks (Veggie_Trunks)
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She speed her way to hear death?
Her obituary was the one thing she never got a chance to read?
Did the joke have to doo with the fact that she could read fast?
Was it about something she couldn't do now that she was dead?
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 03:27 am:

*contemplates what people could possibly have against speed-reading* no

"Wood Stiff" no

Oh... except you said it wasn't her name that was funny.... yes

"Wood slows to Zero WPM" no

By Veggie-Trunks (Veggie_Trunks) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 04:18 am:

She speed her way to hear death? no
Her obituary was the one thing she never got a chance to read? no
Did the joke have to doo with the fact that she could read fast? no
Was it about something she couldn't do now that she was dead? no
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the joke refer to:
speed?
reading?
books?

Did it involve the word:
speed?
fast?
read?
reading?
reader?
dead?
checked out?

was the joke a play on words? a pun? one of those stupid "deep thoughts" type of things?
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and Lisa, I don't know how old you are, but there was a lot of uproar about speed-reading when Ms. Wood first made her big splash with it. Many educators felt that there was no way that comprehension wouldn't suffer for speed-readers. Others were aghast at the idea that reading was being treated like something to be gotten through as fast as possible, as though it was some sort of horribly distasteful chore.
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

Did the joke refer to:
speed? yesish
reading? yes
books? no

Did it involve the word:
speed? no
fast? no
read? no
reading?yes
reader? no
dead? no
checked out? no

was the joke a play on words? no a pun? no one of those stupid "deep thoughts" type of things? no
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"speed reading may be hazardous to your health"... ?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Read fast, live long."

P.S. No, I'm not nearly old enough to know that speed reading was considered a bad thing. I've got too many friends that are lawyers or in grad school and would be thrilled to have that kind of reading ability.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 01:27 am:

"speed reading may be hazardous to your health"... ?no

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 02:07 am:

"Read fast, live long." no

P.S. No, I'm not nearly old enough to know that speed reading was considered a bad thing. I've got too many friends that are lawyers or in grad school and would be thrilled to have that kind of reading ability.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was her name in the title of the article?
How many words in the title? 1? 2? 3? 4? etc....
Were any of those words...
The? An? Is? Death? Woman? Dies? Quick? Writing?
Does the first word start with... a? b? c? etc....
Does the second word start with...a? b? c? etc....
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 01:10 am:

Was her name in the title of the article? do you mean the joke on the first page. If so, the answer is no. The joke is the sentence afteer the one mentioning her death
How many words in the title? 1? 2? 3? 4? etc.... Again, do you mean the joke? If so, 13
Were any of those words...
The? no An no Is? no Death? noWoman? noDies? no Quick? noWriting? no
Does the first word start with... a? b? c? etc....
Does the second word start with...a? b? c? etc.... I'll an swer these, but it's obviously counter to the spirit of the forum to get me to spell out the joke for you
First word begins with--i
2nd--y
3rd--h
4th--t
5th--h
6th--c
7th--y
8th--b
9th--r
10th--h
11th--o
12th--b
13th--n
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had taken her course you'd be reading her obituary by now?
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:22 pm:

If you had taken her course you'd be reading her obituary by now? YES!!!!!!!

*** SPOILER***************
When Evelyn Wood, the inventor of spped reading, died, The New York Times had a clip on the front page that said, "Evelyn Wood died today. If you had taken her course, you'd be reading her obituary by now." Thanks for sticking with it, everyone, & for solving it, Hannah, & please direct those active brains to my new puzzle at the bottom of the page

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: