[Sundowner] My daddy left home when I... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » [Sundowner] My daddy left home when I was three « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 10, 2005John Morahan22 6-10-05  2:00 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mosquito
Were the family asked? No. paid? No. by someone else to do what they did? Did they want to do it? Yes. was it something that they enjoyed doing? Possibly. found interesting? Yes.

Why were they the only ones that could do it? You might wish to find it out by means of clever questions.
Did it involve some property of theirs? Depends on your definition of "property".
some intellectual property? No.

Did they change their name into Latin letters so that you could look them up in an encyclopedia? a phone directory? the Internet? the index of a book? something else? They did not change their name, but looking up something in the internet is heading straight towards the finish.

Barbara
Rabrab now presents her latest work: To Establish; Variations on a Theme... Very impressive.

to institute (as a law) permanently by enactment or agreement? Sort of, yes.

to make firm or stable? No.

to introduce and cause to grow and multiply? as, an established species of plant No.

to bring into existence? Yes(ish)., found? as, established a republic But not this.

To bring into existence, delineate? as, establish a standard? No.

to bring about? as, established friendly relations No.

to set up? as, establish his son in business? No.

to put into a favorable position? Yope.

to gain full recognition or acceptance of? as, the role established her as a star Noish.

to make a national or state institution? as, the government shall not establish any religion? No.

to put beyond doubt, prove? as, established fact? No.

Wunderland
Is genealogy relevant? Yope, depends on your point of view.
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the family create a web sight? one that included information that the other individual was looking for? perhaps information releated to there genealogy or ancestors?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the family create a web sight? one that included information that the other individual was looking for? perhaps information releated to there genealogy or ancestors? No to all. (Remember that the considerate action took place about 40 years ago.)
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where they researchers? Is science relevant? math? journalism?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where they researchers? No, and their profession is not relevant. Is science relevant? No. math? Is for you maths not a science? :) But the answer is no. journalism? No.
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does any of the family past relatives play a role? did the collect information about their genology?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does any of the family past relatives play a role? No.
did the collect information about their genology? No.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, let's get a bit more general, then

Did they collect something?
If yes was it:
information?
documents?
books?
people? (did they start a think-tank?)
ideas?
artwork?
tangible things?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, let's get a bit more general, then Good idea.

Did they collect something? No.
If yes was it:
information?
documents?
books?
people? (did they start a think-tank?)
ideas?
artwork?
tangible things?
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they arrange something?
create something?
invent something?
improve something?
popularize something?
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the original title name mean anything? does either your father or the father in the family have any importance?

were you looking at some written record when your time was saved? something in a library?

was what the family did a large mental feet? or something that isn't hard just time consuming? neither difficult or time consuming but still helped you?

did there have to be kids in this family for them to have saved you time? did the kids actually do something importnat? something different then the parents would have done?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara
Did they arrange something? Noish.
create something? Yesish.
invent something? No.
improve something? No.
popularize something? No.

Sollen
does the original title name mean anything? It is, as usual, a subtle hint.
does either your father No. or the father in the family have any importance? Yope.

were you looking at some written record when your time was saved? Yes.
something in a library? No.

was what the family did a large mental feet?
or something that isn't hard just time consuming?
neither difficult or time consuming but still helped you? This one fits best.

did there have to be kids in this family for them to have saved you time? Yes.
did the kids actually do something important? No.
something different then the parents would have done? No. It's important what the parents did, not what the children did.

Time for a
REFOCUS

Because they did a very considerate thing quite a while ago, I recently saved a lot of time.

- "They" are a married couple, and the "considerate thing" was done about 40 years ago. They were the only ones in the world who could do this, basically for legal reasons, though not related to property or intellectual property.
- The "considerate thing" helped me recently to find some information much faster. It is somewhat relevant that I looked up this information in the internet.
- They did whatever they did with respect to their contemporary(ies) rather than future generations.
- They "brought something into being", though not an index, list, or other sort of compiled information.
- Their deed was neither difficult to accomplish, nor time consuming.
- It is relevant that they have children. (One son, actually)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so is what the did something to do with parenting? only a parent could have done it? were you looking for something related to kids?

are the contemporaries you mentioned refer to other parents?

is the writen material something about their son? reference something the son did or some way he acted?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so is what the did something to do with parenting? Yes.
only a parent could have done it? Yes.
were you looking for something related to kids? No.

are the contemporaries you mentioned refer to other parents? No.

is the writen material something about their son? Yope.
reference something the son did or some way he acted? Yesish, but possible FA.
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they write a parenting article? otherwise write something giving parenting tips?

did they write something in reference to common behaviors of young children? common physical features? something relevent to aging?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they write a parenting article? No.
otherwise write something giving parenting tips? No.

did they write something in reference to common behaviors of young children? No.
common physical features? No.
something relevent to aging? No.
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with naming children? Or is their son's name relevant in any way?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with naming children? Yes.
Or is their son's name relevant in any way? Yes.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they write a list of common names for young children. and later you were looking up the meaning of a name(your name?) and found it thanks to what the parents wrote?
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm stumped as to why they would be the only ones who could legally do this thing.

Did they update it rather than creating it new?
Did they already hold some sort of rights to it?

The relevance of their son's name: did they name it after him? was he named after it?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sollen
did they write a list of common names for young children. No. and later you were looking up the meaning of a name(your name?) No. and found it thanks to what the parents wrote? No.

Barbara
I'm stumped as to why they would be the only ones who could legally do this thing. They were the only ones at the very moment they did it. This might have changed later. (this just for those who want to nail me down on this later :)

Did they update it rather than creating it new?
Did they already hold some sort of rights to it?
The relevance of their son's name: did they name it after him? was he named after it?

These are the sort of questions I can't answer unless you tell me what you mean by "it".
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old was the son when they did the considerate thing?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old was the son when they did the considerate thing? Less than one year.
Amol D. (Amol)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adoption relevant ?
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It" = the thing that they brought into being/did.
Tony (E20)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their choice of name for the son significant?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amol
Adoption relevant? No.

Barbara
"It" = the thing that they brought into being/did. I see, though it's not really a "thing". However, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Did they update it rather than creating it new? No.
Did they already hold some sort of rights to it? Noish.
The relevance of their son's name: did they name it after him? was he named after it? Yope.

Tony
Is their choice of name for the son significant? Very much so.
Tony (E20)
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They chose an unusual name? Which made it easier for you to track down the infomation you wanted?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you looking up meanings of names? E.G. Elisabeth = Oath of God.
Did the son happen to have a name that you were looking up? Do we need to figure out what that name was? Were you looking up roots for words and they happened to know the roots because of their son's name?
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try this again...

Is the relevance of their son's name that he was named after whatever it is they established?

Was the relevance of their son's name that they named whatever it was they established after him?

Did his name in some way cause them to establish what they did?

Did whatever they established cause them to name their son something in particular?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony

They chose an unusual name? Yes.
Which made it easier for you to track down the infomation you wanted? Yes. (to find him, basically) Well done :)

Lisa
Were you looking up meanings of names? E.G. Elisabeth = Oath of God.
Did the son happen to have a name that you were looking up?
Do we need to figure out what that name was?
Were you looking up roots for words and they happened to know the roots because of their son's name? No to all, but help is at hand.

Barbara
Let's try this again...
Is the relevance of their son's name that he was named after whatever it is they established?
Was the relevance of their son's name that they named whatever it was they established after him?
Did his name in some way cause them to establish what they did?
Did whatever they established cause them to name their son something in particular?
No to all. What they "established" (= brought into being) is their son, and the relevance of his name is that it is a quite unusual one. (-- Stop looking at me this way. :) That's the rule of the game. You asked the questions, I answered.)
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPOILER - My daddy left home when I was three

Because they did a very considerate thing quite a while ago, I recently saved a lot of time.

Some weeks ago I needed to find an ex-colleague of mine, because I needed some information from him. Unfortunately, we lost contact when I left the company, and as it turned out, he later left as well and nobody knew where he moved.

As I did not find him in the phone directory either, I started searching for some trace in the web. I googled for his first name + last name, and thanks to the very cosiderate choice of his parents, I got only two meaningful hits with e-mail addresses. I wrote a mail to the first one, and, indeed, it was my ex-colleague. I could not imagine myself having to go through thousands of Peter Smiths instead of two Isidor Smiths.

So you see, a peculiar name for your child is a value, especially in our days of internet and Google. (Or maybe not, if you're not happy about being found too easily.)

The title is, as you've surely found out, the first line of the song "A boy named Sue".

Congratulations to Tony, Lisa & Barbara.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed. For well it was said by the bard:

G stands for Gnu, whose weapons of Defence
Are long, sharp, curling Horns, and Common Sense.
To these he adds a Name so short and strong
That even Hardy Boers pronounce it wrong.
How often on a bright autumnal day
The Pious People of Pretoria say,
"Come, let us hunt the... " Then no more is heard
But Sounds of Strong Men struggling with a word.
Meanwhile, the distant Gnu with grateful eyes
Observes his opportunity, and flies.

MORAL

Child, if you have a rummy kind of Name,
Remember to be thankful for the same.

Hilaire Belloc

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: