Archive through May 26, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » (Dref) Maneater? » Archive through May 26, 2005 « Previous Next »

Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A body is suspended. Its head has been eaten away.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that pheasant is ready to cook!

A body: the corpus of a living or formerly living being? a group of people idenified by one or more factors (a governing body, or student body?)

Suspended: hanging from something by a rope or other flexible item? held in abeyance?removed from an activity or duty?

Its head: the body part generally above the thorax, usually containing the brain, mouth and one or more sensory organs? the person who controls the operation of the group?

Eaten away: devoured, as by a scavenger or predator? eroded? consumed by decay (rust, oxidization)?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that pheasant is ready to cook! This was more like a peasant... ;)

A body: the corpus of a living or formerly living being? yes a group of people identified by one or more factors (a governing body, or student body?) nope

Suspended: hanging from something by a rope or other flexible item? held in abeyance? thisremoved from an activity or duty?

Its head: the body part generally above the thorax, usually containing the brain, mouth and one or more sensory organs yes, that lump three feet above the...butt the person who controls the operation of the group?

Eaten away: devoured, as by a scavenger or predator? yes eroded? consumed by decay (rust, oxidization)?
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if the head has been devoured, then the body probably isn't hanging by the neck, as without the lump at the top, whatever was around the neck would slip off and, well, it wouldn't be hanging any more, now, would it? So is it hanging on some sort of protuberence, like a tree limb or a meathook?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if the head has been devoured, then the body probably isn't hanging by the neck, as without the lump at the top, whatever was around the neck would slip off and, well, it wouldn't be hanging any more, now, would it? Very sound reasoning. ;) So is it hanging on some sort of protuberence, like a tree limb or a meathook? I'm not entirely sure, but my best guess is probably a meathook or something akin to it
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd ask if this puzzle is from some horror movie, but as I don't watch horror movies, since they give me the gibbering whim-whams, that probably wouldn't be a lot of help to me.

Oh, what the hey -- is this from a movie? a book? a TV show? real life (ick!)? FYOI?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd ask if this puzzle is from some horror movie, but as I don't watch horror movies, since they give me the gibbering whim-whams, that probably wouldn't be a lot of help to me. The gibbering whim-whams? Isn't that a relative of the blubbering jimmy-jangs? ;)

Oh, what the hey -- is this from a movie? a book? a TV show? real life (ick!)? FYOI? Short story, also not in the horror genre, to your relief. ;)
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very similar, to the best of my knowlege. They involve me, curled up in the fetal position, sucking my thumb and whimpering. With all the doors locked and all the lights on. Clutching a teddy bear. Not a pretty sight, believe me.

Not horror, so:
political thriller?
psychological thriller?
science fiction?
ghost story? (those I read quite happily -- go figger
gothic?
police procedural?
mystery?
sword and sorcery?
something else that I missed?
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what ate the head? an animal? a person?
Is it relevant that the head was eaten rather than another body part? was the body inside? outside? Is there a relevant object/s near the body?
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! I forgot:

Is the body that of a human? an animal? a bird? an alien? something else?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very similar, to the best of my knowlege. They involve me, curled up in the fetal position, sucking my thumb and whimpering. With all the doors locked and all the lights on. Clutching a teddy bear. Not a pretty sight, believe me. Well, it's better than the heebie jeebies. ;)

Not horror, so:
political thriller?
psychological thriller?
science fiction?
ghost story? (those I read quite happily -- go figger
gothic?
police procedural?
mystery? this
sword and sorcery?
something else that I missed?

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:55 pm:

Relevant what ate the head? yes an animal? yes a person?
Is it relevant that the head was eaten rather than another body part? yes was the body inside? this outside? Is there a relevant object/s near the body? no

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

Oh! I forgot:

Is the body that of a human? yup! an animal? a bird? an alien? something else?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the body upside down?
Is there water underneath it?
Is the animal still there?
Was it just one animal?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the body upside down? no
Is there water underneath it? no
Is the animal still there? no
Was it just one animal? yes
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The animal = mammal? reptile? bird!? A crocodile? aligator? lion? tiger? other big cat? Hippo?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mammal, no to rest
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dog? Wolf? other canid?
Bear?
Feline of some form?

Was the animal primarily a predator? or scavenger?
Omnivore? or carnivore?

The building the body was in:
a house? If yes, in the attic? the cellar? the pantry? another room?
a barn?
a shed?
a slaughterhouse?
an office building?
a storage building other than a barn? (warehouse, garage, locker, etc.)
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dog? Wolf? other canid?
Bear?
Feline of some form? none of these

Was the animal primarily a predator? or scavenger? latter
Omnivore? this or carnivore?

The building the body was in:
a house? no If yes, in the attic? the cellar? the pantry? another room?
a barn?
a shed?
a slaughterhouse?
an office building?
a storage building other than a barn? (warehouse, garage, locker, etc.) this is closest...
Dan Schmiedeler (Instereo)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the victim die due to the animal eating his/her head?
Did the victim die due to being suspended?
Was the victim dead before both being suspended and having his/her head eaten?
Was the head eaten after the victim was suspended?
Was the victim murdered by another human being?
Did the victim kill him/herself?
Is the mystery in the short story the mystery of how the victim died in this manner?
Was the animal intentionally set upon the victim to conceal the victim's identity?
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rat? Raccoon? Oppossum?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the victim die due to the animal eating his/her head? no
Did the victim die due to being suspended? no
Was the victim dead before both being suspended and having his/her head eaten? yes
Was the head eaten after the victim was suspended? yes
Was the victim murdered by another human being? yes
Did the victim kill him/herself?
Is the mystery in the short story the mystery of how the victim died in this manner? no
Was the animal intentionally set upon the victim to conceal the victim's identity? YES
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rat? Raccoon? Oppossum? no, but (no pun intended) you are in the right forest
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, a rodent? or rodent-like mammal?