[Haenlomal] What's the Time? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2005 » [Haenlomal] What's the Time? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 07, 2005Haenlomal22 6-07-05  4:02 pm
Archive through June 16, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 6-16-05  5:09 am
Archive through July 22, 2005Haenlomal22 7-22-05  5:30 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a group of people have determined that this is the "correct" time for something? Or just a good reckoning for something?
Was this achieved by experiment? Observation? Survey?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a group of people have determined that this is the "correct" time for something? This one Or just a good reckoning for something? You can also word it this way, I suppose, but the "correct" time for something is still probably the best way to put it.
Was this achieved by experiment? Observation? Survey? This one -- well done!
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. 10:16 exactly? or 10:16 or less? I mean, if I do it in 9:46 have I done it too fast? or am I still OK?
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm travelling. Does this have anything to do with speed limits? How long I stop at the rest area/oasis? Anything to do with estimated travel times, like from Mapquest or from a road atlas?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. 10:16 exactly? No or 10:16 or less? Yes I mean, if I do it in 9:46 have I done it too fast? "Too fast" does not really apply in this situation, and there is a slight FA here or am I still OK? ...but you are still OK, subject to the conditions of my previous answer.

I'm travelling. Yes Does this have anything to do with speed limits? Only if by observing it, it will take you longer than 10:16. How long I stop at the rest area/oasis? See previous answer Anything to do with estimated travel times Technically speaking, yes, but this has a huge potential to mislead...., like from Mapquest or from a road atlas? Nothing like these last two, sorry.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, then, the FA...

if I ?
do ?
it ?
in 9:46 ?
have I done it?
too fast?

If it takes longer than 10:16, I'm no longer OK. So will I be penalized somehow? Financially? emotionally? mentally?

Will I simply not get? be given? accomplish? something that I would find good?

Has 10:16 been determined to be the upper limit of some type of endurance?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, then, the FA...

if I ?
do ?
it ?
in 9:46 ?
have I done it?
too fast? Ok...the FA mostly lies in the concept of "doing it" in the first place. Keep in mind also my previous remarks about "too fast".

If it takes longer than 10:16, I'm no longer OK. So will I be penalized somehow? Financially? emotionally? mentally? Hmmm...tough to answer. It really depends on the destination where you are travelling towards.

Will I simply not get? be given? accomplish? something that I would find good? No -- see previous answers.

Has 10:16 been determined to be the upper limit of some type of endurance? Well, it's certainly "the upper limit" of something, but to call it "endurance" is very misleading at best.

Read my HINT on July 22nd for some clues -- no one as of yet has made that laterally sideways jump.
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the case that if I arrive after 10:16, something will apply to me that would otherwise not be the case? Is this necessarily bad?

Was the survey of the general public, or a more elite social group such as "the scientific community" or "policemen"?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the case that if I arrive after 10:16, something will apply to me that would otherwise not be the case? NO -- and this is actually rather important! Good question! Is this necessarily bad? Well, let's just say that you're already in a situation that most people would consider "bad"...

Was the survey of the general public, or a more elite social group such as "the scientific community" or "policemen"? General public
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this some type of "race", in which everyone that takes longer than 10:16 is eliminated?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this some type of "race", in which everyone that takes longer than 10:16 is eliminated? Sorry, nothing like this
Annelies Horckmans (Annls)
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it take 10:16 to get across the water by a ferry or something? And you are afraid of water? Get sick on a ferry?

Does the survey established that a certain group of people have a ritual that takes 10:16?

What type of survey was it or could it have been?
About people and their behavior?
About cultures and their rituals?
About roads and travelling?
About animals and their behavior?
Psychological?
Fysical?
Emotional?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it take 10:16 to get across the water by a ferry or something? And you are afraid of water? Get sick on a ferry? None of these

Does the survey established that a certain group of people have a ritual that takes 10:16? Not this either

What type of survey was it or could it have been? As established in the initial posting of the puzzle statement, this is a true story, so the survey is a fact, not hypothetical.
About people and their behavior? This is the closest
About cultures and their rituals?
About roads and travelling?
About animals and their behavior?
Psychological?
Fysical?
Emotional?
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the survey designed to establish what people thought was a suitable time to complete some task in?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the survey designed to establish what people thought was a suitable time to complete some task in? Yes, but beware of potential mislead!
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After 10:16 would I have missed an opportunity?
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it something people do in the morning, evening, afternoon, night? relevant?

is it something people do when they are together? amongst friends? relevant?

Does it got anything to do with fire/smoke?
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it something people do when they are alone? together? amongst friends? amongst strangers? relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland

After 10:16 would I have missed an opportunity? Tough to answer....FA is perhaps the least misleading answer here

Annls

is it something people do in the morning, evening, afternoon, night? relevant? Irrelevant, but it can be done at any time.

is it something people do when they are together? amongst friends? relevant? Irrelevant, but it can be done when people are together, and/or among friends.

Does it got anything to do with fire/smoke? No

Annls, again

is it something people do when they are alone? NO -- to do this requires at least two people...good question! together? So yes to this amongst friends? Can be done amongst friends amongst strangers? Can also be done amongst strangers relevant? The fact that there must be two people in order to do this is relevant. The rest is irrelevant.
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that person A is travelling to meet person B, is there then some change in circumstance after 10:16 which means that A has to revise his plans?
eg person B will be at the bus stop for the next 10min16sec, but if person A is late, he'll meet him in the pub instead?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that person A is travelling to meet person B, is there then some change in circumstance after 10:16 which means that A has to revise his plans?
eg person B will be at the bus stop for the next 10min16sec, but if person A is late, he'll meet him in the pub instead? Sorry, but nothing like this.

I'm pretty occupied with RL issues at the moment, but I'll post a recap and a few hints to help along as soon as I have some more free time.
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having just looked at my last post, it occurred to me I might have overlooked something simple...

Is it that after 10:16 person A will be "officially" classified as late? And that the survey was designed to ask people how long they thought "late" was?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having just looked at my last post, it occurred to me I might have overlooked something simple...

Is it that after 10:16 person A will be "officially" classified as late? YES!!!!!! And that the survey was designed to ask people how long they thought "late" was? YES!!!!!!

There is still a very little bit of information left, but that's just icing. These two excellent questions have more than justified the posting of the...

************* SPOILER *************

I think I'll simply quote the article itself for this one.

The Late Debate
How late is late?

Embargo: 27th May 2005: Brits do not consider themselves officially late until it is 10 minutes and 17 seconds after the agreed appointment time.

New research out today, from the motorists’ portal GetMeThere.co.uk, uncovers the UK’s ‘Lateness Threshold’ – the time considered “officially late enough” to call ahead. The results indicated the average time is 10 minutes and 17 seconds. The time it takes for 12 babies to be born in England and Wales. In fact, 10% of the nation will allow half an hour to pass before ringing to say they are running late.

Public transport fared badly with Brits when choosing a punctual mode of transport. If a meeting absolutely had to be on time, 98% of the British pubic would not choose trains to get them there. Buses only reassured 5% of the public of their punctuality. Three quarters of Britain, however, rely on the car to ensure they arrive on time.

The findings uncovered some differing attitudes to punctuality amongst the sexes with 50% more men than women replying they wouldn’t care if they were late for their mother-in-laws birthday. However, it’s not just the blokes that have a lax attitude to timekeeping as 67% more women than men (especially the “sex in the city” young professional generation) believe it’s more than acceptable, if not fashionable, to be late for a first date.

Other findings:
• It also seems the older people get the more punctual they become; 82% of over fifties claim they are never late for anything
• Twenty-somethings are three times more likely than any other age group to display ‘J-Lo’ style diva behaviour and don’t call ahead even if they are going to be an hour late

However, there are still some activities Britain is never late for; only 3% of respondents considered it acceptable to be late to collect their children and just 1% of people believed it ok to be late for a job interview.

Psychologist Donna Dawson, commented: “The research results show that many of us, especially the under-thirties, don’t mind being slightly late for social engagements or first dates, as ‘lateness’ appears to contribute to a more confident, cool, and less desperate social image. However, as we grow older, our increasing emotional maturity means that we become less concerned with ‘image’ and more aware of consideration for others, making us less likely to be late. Interestingly, there appears to be universal recognition that there are some situations where it is never acceptable to be late, especially where the safety of children or the importance of job interviews are concerned: here, issues of ‘survival’ rise above self-interest.”

Jon West, Director of GetMeThere.co.uk, added: “Despite the findings we have found that in today’s car society many commuters believe that for those situations when you absolutely have to be on time it doesn’t matter what route you take or the distance travelled as long as you get there when you say you will. With the help of GetMeThere.co.uk we hope to lower the UK’s lateness threshold significantly and sound the death knell for the late excuse!”

The link to the original article is found here, though I don't know if it's good anymore.

Thanks to all who participated, and a special mention to Mycroft for putting the brilliant finishing touch. May you never be later than 10 minutes, 16 seconds, for anything.
SmarterBrother (Mycroft)
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking back, I could have got there a lot quicker!

Still. i'm glad to have put this one to rest for you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: