Archive through May 26, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Brid] Cow do you do » Archive through May 26, 2005 « Previous Next »

Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man stands looking at a cow, ashamed and angry. Another man tries not to laugh.

Early spiolers, please e-mail.
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a real, live cow? And man? And other man?
Now, we need some names.
"Ashamed and angry" man = Piyup
"Tries not to laugh" man = Coff
Cow = Dagros
Has Piyup done something stupid?
Has Dagros done something stupid (apart from what cows usually do)?
Relevant where they are? Indoors? Outdoors? In a vehicle?
Has someone (Coff, for example) seen Piyup in a compromising situation?
If so, would Piyup fell less bad if no-one had been there to observe?
Anyone else relevant, apart from our three named living entities?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a sign saying that the bull charges and he didn't have any money on him? :O
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is ashamed and angry? The man or the cow?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:11 am:

Is it a real, live cow? yope And man? yes And other man? yes
Now, we need some names.
"Ashamed and angry" man = Piyup
"Tries not to laugh" man = Coff
Cow = Dagros as long as there are no numerals in the names...:)
Has Piyup done something stupid? yes
Has Dagros done something stupid (apart from what cows usually do)? no
Relevant where they are? yes Indoors? no Outdoors? yes In a vehicle? no
Has someone (Coff, for example) seen Piyup in a compromising situation? yes
If so, would Piyup feel less bad if no-one had been there to observe? no
Anyone else relevant, apart from our three named living entities? yes

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:59 am:

Was there a sign saying that the bull charges and he didn't have any money on him? no, but good idea

By HotBod (Hotbod) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

Who is ashamed and angry? The man or the cow? the man
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cow alive? Was it an actual cow? A representation of a cow? Was it a bull?

Had Piyup been trying to milk the cow? Ride the cow? Do something else with/to the cow?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cow in some area belonging to Piyup? Coff? No one?

For other relevant people, SBQs please! How many? And ages etc?

Were these Other relevant people present at the scene?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has Piyup caused the cow's death? Unintentionally?
Is it Piyup's cow? Coff's?
How many other people are relevant?
Are any other animals relevant?
Do you have problems with names that have numerals in them? If so, how do you feel about, say, the historical English king Henry the 8th?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By (Stuccosalt) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:05 pm:

Was the cow alive? no Was it an actual cow? yes A representation of a cow? so, no Was it a bull? no

Had Piyup been trying to milk the cow? no Ride the cow? no Do something else with/to the cow? yope

By HotBod (Hotbod) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:12 pm:

Was the cow in some area belonging to Piyup? no Coff? no No one? no

For other relevant people, SBQs please! How many? And ages etc? see below
Were these Other relevant people present at the scene? no, but...

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

Has Piyup caused the cow's death? yesUnintentionally? yesish
Is it Piyup's cow? Coff's? no to both
How many other people are relevant? one, live adult, can be either gender, let's call'em Ocac and see what gender you think that is :).
Are any other animals relevant? yes, one
Do you have problems with names that have numerals in them? some of them If so, how do you feel about, say, the historical English king Henry the 8th? I prefer spelling him Henry the VIIIth, myself
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Piyup ever come into bodily contact with the cow? Was Piyup holding a weapon? At any time? Is the other relevant animal nearby (within sight)? Is the other animal also a cow?
Was the cow's death intentional? Accidental?
Did Piyup directly cause the cow's death?
Did Piyup ever see the cow alive?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are piyup and coff related? freinds? colleagues?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ocac the owner of the cow?

Is the cow a black and white cow? a brown cow? an all-black cow? an all-white cow? a purple cow?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ocac? OCAC!?!?! What kind of stupid name is that???
More seriously...
Would it help to find out what Dagros died from?
Is Ocac present at the scene at the time of the puzzle?
Is Ocac alive?
Time of day relevant?
Is this taking place in a rural setting?
In a field, perhaps?
Is Dagros lying on the ground?
The other animal - a calf? An ox?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

Did Piyup ever come into bodily contact with the cow? no Was Piyup holding a weapon? yes At any time? yes Is the other relevant animal nearby (within sight)? no Is the other animal also a cow? no
Was the cow's death intentional? noish Accidental? yes
Did Piyup directly cause the cow's death? yes
Did Piyup ever see the cow alive? yes

By HotBod (Hotbod) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

Are piyup and coff related? possibly friends? or this colleagues? irrelevant

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:05 pm:

Is Ocac the owner of the cow? yes

Is the cow a black and white cow? a brown cow? probably this an all-black cow? an all-white cow? a purple cow?

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:09 pm:

Ocac? OCAC!?!?! What kind of stupid name is that??? It's derived from the name of a cell line I'm translating text about for the moment, called Caco-2. I removed the 2 and reversed the rest.
More seriously...
Would it help to find out what Dagros died from? yes
Is Ocac present at the scene at the time of the puzzle? no
Is Ocac alive? yes
Time of day relevant? no
Is this taking place in a rural setting? yes
In a field, perhaps? yes
Is Dagros lying on the ground? yes
The other animal - a calf? An ox? no to both
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some kind of hunting mistake, this? Like, Piyup and Coff were out hunting elk? And Piyup mistook the cow for one?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Einar Berg (Grainbeer) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:05 am:

Some kind of hunting mistake, this? Like, Piyup and Coff were out hunting elk? And Piyup mistook the cow for one? YES, but there's more to this...
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It dawns on me that I've heard this one, but I can't for the life of me remember it clearly...

Is Piyup the kind of Coffee-latte drinking, urban yuppie who couldn't tell a goat from a penguin if his life depended on it?
Did Piyup consciously set his sights on the cow and pull the trigger?
Was Ocac ever in Piyup's sight?
Was Ocac close to Dagros at any relevant time?
As Piyup fired the shot, did he see clearly what he was shooting at?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:24 am:

It dawns on me that I've heard this one, but I can't for the life of me remember it clearly... :)

Is Piyup the kind of Coffee-latte drinking, urban yuppie who couldn't tell a goat from a penguin if his life depended on it? no
Did Piyup consciously set his sights on the cow and pull the trigger? yes
Was Ocac ever in Piyup's sight? no
Was Ocac close to Dagros at any relevant time? yes
As Piyup fired the shot, did he see clearly what he was shooting at? no
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was convinced that all names Torgeir ever suggests are utter nonsense (and I was so much thinking in English :)) that it only now dawned to me that Dagros is a perfectly reasonable name for a cow in Swedish and presumably also in Norwegian. Admittedly, I have never known many actual cows by name, but there are a few ones in the literature that I should have remembered.
I think I need a holiday soon. :)
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify, I meant "Did Piyup ever see Ocac", not "Did Piyup ever see Ocac through the sights of a gun". Still same answer?
Relevant why Piyup didn't see his target clearly?
Was he too far away?
Was it too dark?
Did Ocac appear to be smarter than one would expect of an elk?
Was Coff part of the reason for Piyup's mistake?

I was convinced that all names Torgeir ever suggests are utter nonsense Well, I did mention Henry the 8th back there, didn't I? Also, if you remember an occasion quite some time ago when I suggested the name XQ2F for someone in one of your puzzles, you should realise that I do not always suggest nonsense names.
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:19 pm:

To clarify, I meant "Did Piyup ever see Ocac", not "Did Piyup ever see Ocac through the sights of a gun". Still same answer? Still same answer.
Relevant why Piyup didn't see his target clearly? not very
Was he too far away? possibly
Was it too dark? possibly
Did Ocac appear to be smarter than one would expect of an elk? please clarify
Was Coff part of the reason for Piyup's mistake? no, just a witness

I was convinced that all names Torgeir ever suggests are utter nonsense Well, I did mention Henry the 8th back there, didn't I? Also, if you remember an occasion quite some time ago when I suggested the name XQ2F for someone in one of your puzzles, you should realise that I do not always suggest nonsense names. Right. Almost always, then. :)
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Piyup have good reason (apart from wishful thinking) to believe that Dagros was an elk?
Is Dagros' owner involved in this?
Was Dagros in a place one would not expect a cow to be?
Is a fence relevant?