Archive through May 30, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Haenlomal] Auribus teneo lupum » Archive through May 30, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, this isn't the best sort of material as far as lateral puzzles go, but it is sufficiently amusing that I can't pass up on it.

Enjoy! :)

Title: Auribus teneo lupum

Difficulty: Easy

Type: Supposedly a true story -- at least, it sounds plausible enough

Story:
She laughed at him even though he was in trouble.

To Solve:
Why did she laugh? Why was he in trouble?

Specialized Knowledge needed:
None needed, but bonus points to those who recognize what Terence was really trying to say -- and, sorry woubit, you're automatically disqualified, since I know you know what it means. Feel free to help with the rest of the puzzle, though. :)

Good luck!
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are wolves involved?
Are she and he related?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are wolves involved? No
Are she and he related? Yes
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in physical trouble? Emotional? Mental? Financial? Embarrassment-type?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in physical trouble? Yope Emotional? Yes Mental? Yes Financial? No Embarrassment-type? A bit of this as well
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in trouble with the law? With people who would physically harm him? With a natural occurance?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in trouble with the law? No With people who would physically harm him? FA With a natural occurance? No
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is what Terence was trying to say actually relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is what Terence was trying to say actually relevant? The puzzle title has, as usual, some relevance to the situation at hand. But in this case, it is a rather thin connection. I would concentrate on something else if I were you.
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something wrong/unusual with his ears?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he holding a wolf by its ears? If so, was it in a real/figurative sense?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something wrong/unusual with his ears? No
Was he holding a wolf by its ears? No, but... If so, was it in a real/figurative sense? ...Yope, figuratively speaking
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I entitled to any bonus points ?

Was he in a sort of dangerous situation, which he was controlling at the moment, but which was likely to worsen if he "let go" of the figurative wolf's ears?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry woubit, you're automatically disqualified

Well, that is a bit of a blow;
I can't help knowing things that I know :(
At the moment, I fear,
I've a wolf by one ear -
Should I try for the other? Let go?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alizon

Am I entitled to any bonus points ? :) Yes, of course you are! Let it be known that Alizon has officially claimed the bonus points of this puzzle. :)

Was he in a sort of dangerous situation Yes, but this may mislead, which he was controlling at the moment Again, yes, but this may mislead, but which was likely to worsen if he "let go" of the figurative wolf's ears? Yope

Woubit

sorry woubit, you're automatically disqualified

Well, that is a bit of a blow;
I can't help knowing things that I know :(
At the moment, I fear,
I've a wolf by one ear -
Should I try for the other? Let go?

You can't help knowing the things that you know.
But the great knowledge and insight you show,
Is an example for us.
So a few DQs, I trust,
Is but a small price to pay for your role. :)

In other words, feel free to continue to contribute in whatever other ways you want. :)
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a child? is she his mother?
Was he actually not in danger, but merely thought he was? and this was the trouble? but she knew better, so she laughed?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a child? No, but... is she his mother? Yes
Was he actually not in danger, but merely thought he was? YES, good question! and this was the trouble? What is "this"? but she knew better, so she laughed? YES
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he's an adult? a teenager?

Did she laugh because the situation he's in is one that she warned him about?

Is he going to have to allow the situation to get worse before (it can become?) (he can make it?) better?

Is it a physical situation? a mental one? an emotional one?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, sorry about that last question--I didn't RPA well enough...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he's an adult? a teenager? This one

Did she laugh because the situation he's in is one that she warned him about? Yes, but beware of potential mislead!

Is he going to have to allow the situation to get worse before (it can become?) (he can make it?) better? FA

Is it a physical situation? Yope a mental one? Yes an emotional one? Yes

Oops, sorry about that last question--I didn't RPA well enough... No apologies are necessary. :)
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he misunderstand her warning?
Did he think he was in physical danger?
Did he ask her for help?
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he having a nightmare?