[Grainbeer] Support 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Grainbeer] Support 2 « Previous Next »

Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I was sure Torgeir´s puzzle was this one, and it turned out that it wasn´t, I feel obliged to present it: It has a quite lengthy puzzle text, but I just grabbed the text as it was from this other puzzle site. For those of you who know it, you know what to do. Or rather, refrain from doing. I guess this will be a real quickie anyway:

I was on a business trip and staying in a nice hotel. I got up in the morning and turned on the TV, while I washed and got dressed. When I was ready to go to breakfast, I turned off the TV and went to the hotel's restaurant. After breakfast, I returned to my room and realized that I had time before I had to leave for my meeting. So I grabbed the remote, and tried to turn on the TV. Nothing happened.

Figuring that the batteries in the remote had gone bad, I walked all the way over to the TV and pressed the power button. Zippo. Realizing that the maid had cleaned my room while I was eating breakfast, I figured she might have hit the plug with the vacuum cleaner, so I checked it. It was plugged in just fine, but just to make sure, I yanked on it and jiggled it. It didn't make any difference.

The TV didn't say it but I figured, like my computer, it might need to be re-booted. So, I slapped it around a little bit, and then I actually pulled the plug out. I waited 20, 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and that didn't help. In desperation, I called the front desk, and they sent the house electrician to check on my TV.

He goes around the back of the TV and he's looking at things. I don't know what he's doing. He asks me to turn on the lamp next to the TV.

It works. He says, 'I see your problem.' And he fixes it without using any tools.

What did he do?
Martin Schwenk (Trickymartin)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is how you turned on the lamp relevant? Did the TV recieve power when he saw the problem? all the time even? Did he unplug the tv to fix it? was the tv plugged into an outlet in the wall?

And what is 'that other puzzle site?' :)
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is how you turned on the lamp relevant? no Did the TV recieve power when he saw the problem? no all the time even? no Did he unplug the tv to fix it? as described in the puzzle text, he tried that too, and then replugged it was the tv plugged into an outlet in the wall? yes

And what is 'that other puzzle site?'
Here it is: http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzler/

Some puzzles here are good, some so so. Enjoy :)
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the tv not working due to a power source? was the outlet the tv was plugged into proving power? did it provide power only once you turned on the lamp, only once the electrician did something?

did the electrician do something with the plug? hit an electric switch?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the tv not working due to a power source? yes was the outlet the tv was plugged into proving power? what does "proving power" mean? did it provide power only once you turned on the lamp no , only once the electrician did something? yes

did the electrician do something with the plug? yes hit an electric switch? no
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the electrician 'reset' the outlet?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the electrician 'reset' the outlet? no
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the VCR plugged in but not the TV? Was the plug in question actually connected to the TV? If you had plugged the lamp into that particular outlet, would it have turned on?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the lamp work if you pulled out the TV plug and plugged the lamp into the same outlet?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the VCR plugged in but not the TV? no Was the plug in question actually connected to the TV? yes If you had plugged the lamp into that particular outlet, would it have turned on? no

Would the lamp work if you pulled out the TV plug and plugged the lamp into the same outlet? no
Ian (Image)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a guess:
The wall had two outlets; one of which was not working for whatever reason. The repairman knew this, so he just switched the plugs. The maid had also switched the plugs while cleaning.

Did the maid touch the tv? The lamp? The power cords? The outlets?
Did the repairman touch the tv? The lamp? The power cords? The outlets?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a switch somewhere that controls whether the TV outlet carries voltage?
Was there an actual malfunction in the electrical system of the room?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian:
Here's a guess:
The wall had two outlets; one of which was not working for whatever reason. The repairman knew this, so he just switched the plugs. you´re right The maid had also switched the plugs while cleaning. exactly! good find!

Did the maid touch the tv? The lamp? The power cords? she swapped the plugs The outlets?
Did the repairman touch the tv? The lamp? The power cords? The outlets?

Torgeir:
Is there a switch somewhere that controls whether the TV outlet carries voltage? not the TV, but the lamp. But the maid switched them when she vacuumed the room. I´ll spoil this puzzle. Good job both of you.
Was there an actual malfunction in the electrical system of the room?
Einar Berg (Grainbeer)
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

************************ SPOILER ************************

The hotel room had two sockets behind the TV, one for the lamp and one for the TV. The lamp socket could be controlled by a switch by the bed so you could turn off the light without leaving the bed, whilst the TV socket hadn´t. It would be sufficient to turn it off from the bed with the remote.

While I was eating breakfast, the maid vacuumed the room. She needed the outlet to plug in the vacuum cleaner. For some reason, she pulled both plugs out - both the lamp and the TV. And when she was finished, she swapped the two plugs by mistake. Since I returned to my room at broad daylight, I didn´t need the lamp to be lighted. So I did not consider turning on the lamp switch by the bed.

The local electrician was of course well aware of this reoccuring problem.

As I said: it was a quickie. Thanks all!
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She probably pulled the lamp plug first and it didn't work, so she just pulled the other one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: