Archive through June 06, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » [Haenlomal] Success! » Archive through June 06, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And one more to round out my puzzle quota for three! Enjoy!

Title: Success!

Difficulty: Easy

Type: Humour

Story:
Well, in that case I guess all we really need is wisdom!

To Solve:
Why did I make that statement above?

Specialized Knowledge needed:
None needed

Good luck!
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevent who "we" refers to?
Human? Adult? Male? Female? Some mix of all? A specific group?

Wisdom about some topic? Or wisdom in general?

Need wisdom for what? To accomplish something? To build something? To solve something? To live? To die? To save something? To preserve something? To prevent something? To halt something? To encourage something?
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teeth relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian

Relevent who "we" refers to?
Human? Adult? Male? Female? Some mix of all? A specific group? You may take "we" to refer to all of humanity in general.

Wisdom about some topic? Or wisdom in general? The latter one is the sense which "wisdom" is being used in the puzzle statement. That being said, however, the idea of "wisdom about some topic" is relevant. (It's a bit hard to be more precise this early in the puzzle, but keep on digging, and you'll understand what I mean!)

Need wisdom for what? To accomplish something? This is closest To build something? To solve something? To live? To die? To save something? To preserve something? To prevent something? To halt something? To encourage something?

Dref

Teeth relevant? No, but good thinking
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your story comment a responce to some other comment? other news story?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your story comment a responce to some other comment? other news story? Well, it's in response to something I read, but it's definitely not a news story, and comment would not be all that accurate in describing it.

And before you ask: yes, figuring out what I read is essential to solving this puzzle. :)
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any relevance to "Ignorance is bliss." ?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this statement a response to some punchline in a joke?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab

Any relevance to "Ignorance is bliss." ? No, but ignorance itself is not entirely unrelated to this puzzle...

Hotbod

Is this statement a response to some punchline in a joke? YES...Good question!

So, basically, this puzzle consists of figuring out the joke. Puzzle out the joke, and my commentary on it should become self-evident...
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So how many characters in the joke? 1-10000
Any race relevant? (Like Jews/Polish etc)
Is it more of a talking kind of joke? (Where 2 or more characters talk)
Or a situational kind of joke? (Something which can work in a certain place/situation)
Is the word "wisdom" used in the punchline?
Any popular saying used or punned upon in the joke?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So how many characters in the joke? 1-10000 2
Any race relevant? (Like Jews/Polish etc) No
Is it more of a talking kind of joke? This one (Where 2 or more characters talk)
Or a situational kind of joke? (Something which can work in a certain place/situation)
Is the word "wisdom" used in the punchline? No
Any popular saying used or punned upon in the joke? No
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one of the protoganists of the joke had wisdom, would the joke not have been so funny?

I see how that can be a double edged question in terms of a joke, but I will go with it
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one of the protoganists of the joke had wisdom, would the joke not have been so funny? FA -- one of them had "wisdom", and the other one presumably didn't. However, I'll be nice :) and answer to the spirit of your question:

I don't think the situation as described in the joke would have happened at all if both of the protagonists had wisdom.

I see how that can be a double edged question in terms of a joke, but I will go with it
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a question and answer kind of joke?
Or were the two protagonists being comparitive? (My son is so good that he can.....blah blah)
Ian (Image)
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the characters anyone specific? Fictional? Famous?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HotBod

Was it a question and answer kind of joke? This one -- good question!
Or were the two protagonists being comparitive? (My son is so good that he can.....blah blah) And nothing like this

Are the characters anyone specific? Fictional? Famous? No to all, though the 2 characters involved in the joke do have a relevant relationship, so they would be "specific" with respect to each other.
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friends? Parent-Child? (If yes, what sex each) Spouses? SOme in law relation? Employer-Employee? Colleagues?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friends? Parent-Child? This one (If yes, what sex each They are father and son. Their genders are left as an exercise for the readers. :)) Spouses? SOme in law relation? Employer-Employee? Colleagues?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Son asks Q? Father answers? Thats the joke? Stupid question (in your opinion?) Or just innocent? Witty answer?

Now lets try and get to the theme of the question:
-Marriage?
-Sex?
-Love?
-Education?
-Dad's job?
-Money?
-Philosophy?
-God?
-Sports?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Son asks Q? Well, yes, but the joke doesn't start with a question. Father answers? Yes, subject to the previous answer. Thats the joke? Yup. The joke consists entirely of a dialog between a father and his son. Stupid question (in your opinion?) Or just innocent? This is closest Witty answer? In my opinion, not really, but it's funny. Your mileage may vary.

Now lets try and get to the theme of the question:
-Marriage?
-Sex?
-Love?
-Education?
-Dad's job?
-Money?
-Philosophy? This is the closest, though not that close at all.
-God?
-Sports?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where the father and son are - relevant?
Lets get back to theme:
Religion?
If we have wisdom:
-We would not need something else?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where the father and son are - relevant? No -- in fact, the joke has no other descriptive than "A father and his son was talking." The rest of the joke consisted entirely of the ensuring dialogue.
Lets get back to theme:
Religion? Nothing to do with this
If we have wisdom:
-We would not need something else? That's the general idea, yes.