Archive through June 16, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2005 » [Haenlomal] Auribus teneo lupum » Archive through June 16, 2005 « Previous Next »

Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you drink anything alcoholic, the Devil's gonna come up through the ground and drag you straight down to Hell!
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and he drank nyquil?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nah... Robitussin...
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mouthwash?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lzeiters

if you drink anything alcoholic, the Devil's gonna come up through the ground and drag you straight down to Hell! That's the basic idea, yes. But I need a small, yet specific, detail about this. It may be easier to find this tiny detail if one considers the actual situation that Billy Bob is really in.

Doctapeppa

and he drank nyquil?

Lzeiters, again

nah... Robitussin...

Doctapeppa, again

mouthwash?

Well, I guess if you need to drink those to fulfill your alcohol quote, then you need to drink them! Personally, I'd go for other stuff, but that's just me.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, then. Concerning the situation that Billy-Bob is really in:

Is he indoors?
If yes, in a home? a church? a place of business?

Is he outdoors?
If yes, in his own yard? someone else's yard? a park? A paved parking area? on a street? in a vacant lot?

Is he standing?
standing on something?
standing up straight?
standing stooped over?

sitting?
on a chair?
on the ground or the floor?
on a rock or a stump?
on a bench?
on a piece of upholstered furniture?

kneeling?
grovelling at his mother's feet?
kneeling and praying?

laying on the ground?
laying on a piece of furniture?

crouching?

trying to climb something?

clinging to something?
clinging to someone?

staggering around?

What he's doing:
Praying?
crying?
screaming?
begging?
running in circles?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, then. Concerning the situation that Billy-Bob is really in:

Is he indoors? No
If yes, in a home? a church? a place of business?

Is he outdoors? Left as an exercise for the reader. :)
If yes, in his own yard? A bit of this someone else's yard? a park? A paved parking area? on a street? Mostly this one in a vacant lot?

Is he standing? Yes, though not stationary...see further answers below.
standing on something?
standing up straight? Yes
standing stooped over?

sitting? No
on a chair?
on the ground or the floor?
on a rock or a stump?
on a bench?
on a piece of upholstered furniture?

kneeling? No
grovelling at his mother's feet?
kneeling and praying?

laying on the ground? No
laying on a piece of furniture? No

crouching? No

trying to climb something? No

clinging to something? No
clinging to someone? No

staggering around? No

What he's doing:
Praying?
crying? A bit of this
screaming? A bit of this
begging? and a bit of this too
running in circles? Well...running at any rate, though not in circles. :)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not indoors, you say? I ownder if he's maybe --- outdoors then?

Don't mind me, I'm being a bit of a smart-aleck today.

So, is he running wildly down the sidewalk, starting from his own yard, but not staying in his own yard? Is he looking (begging, screaming, crying) for someone to help him? Anyone in particular? His mother? a neighbor? or just for someone -- anyone -- who can? who will?

Did his mother's warning include the threat that she wouldn't help him when the Devil came to get him?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not indoors, you say? I ownder if he's maybe --- outdoors then?

Don't mind me, I'm being a bit of a smart-aleck today. I see you're having a long day at work too. Join the club. :)

So, is he running wildly down the sidewalk, starting from his own yard, but not staying in his own yard? No, he didn't start from his own yard -- and there is an underlying FA here. Is he looking (begging, screaming, crying) for someone to help him? Yes! And he was begging Anyone in particular? Yes His mother? And yes again! a neighbor? or just for someone -- anyone -- who can? who will?

Did his mother's warning include the threat that she wouldn't help him when the Devil came to get him? No, but I think that's kinda implicit, no?
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FA: That his mother even knew that he'd been drinking alcohol before he came to her begging for help?

Did he have a couple of beers and then realize that the devil was going to get him, so he went running toward home from wherever he'd been?
If yes, is where he'd been before relevant?
If yes to that, was he drinking:
in a park?
in a parking lot?
in a vacant lot?
at a friend's house?
at a party?
in a car?
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did he drink alcohol?
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did he drink alcohol?
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did he drink alcohol?
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did he drink alcohol?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did he intentionally drink alcohol?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab

The FA: That his mother even knew that he'd been drinking alcohol before he came to her begging for help? No -- his mother didn't know that he had been drinking until he came to her.

Did he have a couple of beers and then realize that the devil was going to get him, so he went running toward home from wherever he'd been? Very, very close, but not quite! The sequence of events is important in the puzzle, so I'm going to have to be more nitpicky than usual here.
If yes, is where he'd been before relevant? No, but according to the story, he was in a pub with a couple of friends.
If yes to that, was he drinking:
in a park?
in a parking lot?
in a vacant lot?
at a friend's house?
at a party?
in a car?

Doctapeppa

So did he drink alcohol? Yes, he downed a couple of beers.

In the future, please do not ask the same question four times in a row. I have been pulling 13-14 hour workdays recently, so I don't have the luxury of answering questions here everyday, though I try my best to. I will get around to them eventually. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Zenith

So did he intentionally drink alcohol? Yes
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab: I have been pulling 13-14 hour workdays recently. me too... it's not fun.
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's Haenlomal who's working those hours, not me, thankfully.

So, the sequence that we have so far:

1) Mom told Billy-Bob that if he drank alcohol, the Devil would come and drag him straight down to Hell.

2) Billy-Bob believed her.

3) Billy-Bob went along with a couple of friends to a pub, lied about his age, and had a couple of beers.

4) Billy-Bob, realizing that he'd broken the prohibition against drinking alcohol (and being a bit buzzed,) started running down the street for home, crying and begging his mother to help him.

5) When she saw him, his mother laughed at him.

The additional things that we need to find out and fit in:

Why he went out with his friends in the first place?

Why he panicked?

are there additional things that he did? that happened, but someone else did? that happened, but no-one else did?
if yes, how many additional things (LTPFLPI, please? and answer the following questions for each one, if there are more than one?)
did it come before step 1?
between step 1 and 2?
between step 2 and 3?
between step 3 and 4?
between step 4 and 5?
after step 5?

Did he see someone? something? hear someone? somethng? smell something? that caused him to believe that his mother's threat was coming true?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my apologies, Rabrab, and my sympathies, Haenlomal...next time maybe I'll actually learn to pay attention to what's on my screen...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lzeiters

Rabrab: I have been pulling 13-14 hour workdays recently. me too... it's not fun. Wow, but somehow I take perverse comfort in the fact that I'm not alone...may I ask what it is you do?

Rabrab

That's Haenlomal who's working those hours, not me, thankfully. Pray that you never have to work hours like these!

So, the sequence that we have so far:

1) Mom told Billy-Bob that if he drank alcohol, the Devil would come and drag him straight down to Hell. Yes, but there is one small and important detail still to be discovered about this.

2) Billy-Bob believed her. Yes

3) Billy-Bob went along with a couple of friends to a pub, lied about his age, and had a couple of beers. Yes

4) Billy-Bob, realizing that he'd broken the prohibition against drinking alcohol (and being a bit buzzed,) Yes started running down the street for home, crying and begging his mother to help him. And also yes to the second part. However, there is an important event that happened between the first part and second part that needs to be discovered.

5) When she saw him, his mother laughed at him. Yes

The additional things that we need to find out and fit in:

Why he went out with his friends in the first place? No -- I guess he just wanted to be rebellious

Why he panicked? YES

are there additional things that he did? that happened, but someone else did? that happened, but no-one else did?
if yes, how many additional things (LTPFLPI, please? and answer the following questions for each one, if there are more than one?)
did it come before step 1?
between step 1 and 2?
between step 2 and 3?
between step 3 and 4?
between step 4 and 5?
after step 5? See my answers above

Did he see someone? something? hear someone? somethng? This one...good question! smell something? that caused him to believe that his mother's threat was coming true? Yes

Lzeiters, again

my apologies, Rabrab, and my sympathies, Haenlomal...next time maybe I'll actually learn to pay attention to what's on my screen... Thanks for the sympathies, Lewis. :) And you have my sympathy too for your long hours.
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last time I had to work those kind of hours, I was sewing costumes at a shop that supplied many of the Mardi Gras Krewes in Mobile. 13-14 hour days, 6 days a week for the better part of a month was no fun, so you have my sympathy as well, both of you.

Is the "what he heard" the important event that occured between the realization and the panic?

Is what he heard a voice? voices? a conversation? an evil laugh? a song? a sound from nature? (like a clap of thunder?) a train whistle?

The small but important detail in his mother's threat: did it also involve this sound?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm something of a draftsman, with some basic engineering thrown in for good measure. (FYI, I don't have an engineering degree... we have our design engineers specify design requirements that we incorporate into our drawings and shop lists.) Go to www.vulcraft.com/tx and look around if you're curious. I've just drawn some really nasty projects all in a row, and they want us to do "whatever it takes" to meet our deadlines, and in my case that has translated into working 65-70 hour weeks for about 2 months now. Not a whole lot of fun...

back to the puzzle... did Billy-Bob see any "suspicious"-looking people on the way home, such that he actually thought that person was Satan and was chasing him?