Archive through June 10, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » [Sundowner] My daddy left home when I was three » Archive through June 10, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because they did a very considerate thing quite a while ago, I recently saved a lot of time.

Level: moderate
Type: true story
Initial hint: I don't know them.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long ago?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the city planners plan something so that it actually worked?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woubit
How long ago? Between 30 and 40 years.

Barbara
Did the city planners plan something so that it actually worked? Maybe in some rare occasions they did, but not here in this puzzle.
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that's why I thought that it might be lateral enough to make a puzzle out of.

They: a company? a committee? a formal organization? an informal organization? a club? a family? a group of otherwise unconnected people with only the relevant considerate thing in common?

Considerate = thoughtful? helpful? polite? well-thought-out?

Were they located in your immediate area? in your region? in Germany?

Is the title of the puzzle at all relevant?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They: a company? a committee? a formal organization? an informal organization? a club? a family? this one. a group of otherwise unconnected people with only the relevant considerate thing in common?

Considerate = thoughtful? this one .. helpful? polite? well-thought-out? .. and also this one.

Were they located in your immediate area? in your region? in Germany? In Germany.

Is the title of the puzzle at all relevant? The title, as usual in my puzzles, can provide an additional clue. But it's not at all necessary for solving the puzzle.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this your family?
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they had not done the considerate thing, how much time would you have taken to do whatever you had to do? (No of minutes/Hours/days/years?)

Because of their deed, how much time did you actually take? (No of minutes/Hours/days/years?)

Could anyone else apart from the "they" have done this deed? And would you still have saved the time?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woubit
Is this your family? No. As I mentioned before, I don't know them personally.

Hotbod
If they had not done the considerate thing, how much time would you have taken to do whatever you had to do? (No of minutes/Hours/days/years?) Several days, possibly. (But more likely, I would have abandoned the idea to do it under these circumstances.)

Because of their deed, how much time did you actually take? (No of minutes/Hours/days/years?) About one hour.

Could anyone else apart from the "they" have done this deed? And would you still have saved the time? No, only they could have done it.
HotBod (Hotbod)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did others also benefit from their deed in similar ways as yours?

Relevant where this happened? If so, which country?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did others also benefit from their deed in similar ways as yours? Possibly, but I don't know.
Relevant where this happened? If so, which country? It happened in Germany, but this is not terribly relevant.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they build something? Destroy something? Move something? Stop something from being moved?

Did they intend or hope to be helpful to some future person who found themselves in your position, or was it a side effect?

Did they do it to help themselves? Some contemporaries of theirs?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they build something? Destroy something? Move something? Stop something from being moved? Nothing like this.

Did they intend or hope to be helpful to some future person who found themselves in your position, or was it a side effect? It was a side effect (but they might have thought of it).

Did they do it to help themselves? Maybe this to some extent.
Some contemporaries of theirs? But mostly this.
LEWIS ZEITERS (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the following relevant regarding the 'contemporaries'? Regarding the 'beneficent ones'(the family that was thoughtful)?

identity?
profession?
context of the situation which led to the act of beneficence?
Was the event (i'll use 'event' from here to refer to the act of beneficence) a business transaction? A family arrangement (i.e. will, formal family tree, burial arrangements, etc.)? other?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they do whatever it was before/after you were born? Relevant?

Can the event be classified as an act of philanthropy?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis
Any of the following relevant regarding the 'contemporaries'? Regarding the 'beneficent ones'(the family that was thoughtful)?
identity? Yes for both groups.
profession? No for both groups.
context of the situation which led to the act of beneficence? Possibly for the contemporaries.

Was the event (i'll use 'event' from here to refer to the act of beneficence) a business transaction? No. A family arrangement (i.e. will, formal family tree, burial arrangements, etc.)? No. other? Yes.

Alizon
Did they do whatever it was before/after you were born? Relevant? Some years before I was born. Not really relevant.

Can the event be classified as an act of philanthropy? No.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The event: did they establish something? endow something? make an index of something?
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they make it easier for you to find something? to reserch some information?

did the family all work for some goal? some task?

family refer to mother and children? mother father and children? man and women without children? more then just the immediat family? different inturpritation of family other then biologically related?

did they make it easier for you to do a physical task? a mental one?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara
The event: did they establish something? Yesish, for appropriate interpretation of "to establish".
endow something? No.
make an index of something? No.

Sollen
did they make it easier for you to find something? Yes.
to reserch some information? Yes.

did the family all work for some goal? Not necessarily. some task? No.

family refer to mother and children? mother father and children? This one. man and women without children? more then just the immediat family? different inturpritation of family other then biologically related?

did they make it easier for you to do a physical task? a mental one? This one.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the family asked? paid? by someone else to do what they did? Did they want to do it? was it something that they enjoyed doing? found interesting?

Why were they the only ones that could do it? Did it involve some property of theirs? some intellectual property?

Did they change their name into Latin letters so that you could look them up in an encyclopedia? a phone directory? the Internet? the index of a book? something else?
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab now presents her latest work: To Establish; Variations on a Theme...

to institute (as a law) permanently by enactment or agreement?

to make firm or stable?

to introduce and cause to grow and multiply? as, an established species of plant

to bring into existence?, found? as, established a republic

To bring into existence, delineate? as, establish a standard?

to bring about? as, established friendly relations

to set up? as, establish his son in business?

to put into a favorable position?

to gain full recognition or acceptance of? as, the role established her as a star

to make a national or state institution? as, the government shall not establish any religion?

to put beyond doubt, prove? as, established fact?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is genealogy relevant?