Archive through July 20, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » Lynne - Too much information? » Archive through July 20, 2005 « Previous Next »

Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the action a:
... Bite? ...
As in "Don't **** that cow"?

Unless it is a hamburger :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Katy (Katy) on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:37 am:

Are the rules 'normal' in some sense but you then add an extra bit, eg "No teasing your sister ... between the hours of 9pm and 7am"? no

By Tony (E20) on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:53 am:

Is Rule 1 specifically aimed at young members of the family? or are adults required to follow it as well? adults too
Is Rule 2 specifically aimed at young members of the family? or are adults required to follow it as well? adults too

Rule 1 concerns an action which can be seen but not heard, and can't be done in a car? correct
Does it involve movement? (Eg Don't hop on the staircase?) yes, but the movement is minimal
Does it involve communication? no (Eg Don't stick your tongue out at the teacher?)

Rule 2 concerns an action which can be felt? yes Would it cause physical injury? no
Is the action a:
Slap? Kick? Hit? Pinch? Strike? Pull hair? Bite? Punch? Push? Stroke? Lick? Suck? Head-butt? Tickle? Tackle? Kiss? Touch? Set fire to?
As in "Don't **** that cow"? tickle, and btw no cows were injured in the production of this puzzle

By Katy (Katy) on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

Is the action a:
... Bite? ... no
As in "Don't **** that cow"?

Unless it is a hamburger :)
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So ... Rule 2 is "Don't tickle"?
Or is it more specific?

Rule 1 applies to a specific place? In the house? Living room? Bath room? Kitchen? Stairway? Attic? Basement? Hall?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 01:07 am:

So ... Rule 2 is "Don't tickle"?
Or is it more specific? more specific as to under which circumstances

Rule 1 applies to a specific place? In the house? yes Living room? Bath room? this Kitchen? Stairway? Attic? Basement? Hall? and this
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the specific circumstances relating to Rule 2 relate to:
The timing of the tickling? (Don't tickle before the sun crosses the yard arm)?
The duration of the tickling? (Don't tickle for more than a minute)?
The location of the tickling? (Don't tickle at the dining table)?
The parts of the body to be tickled? (Don't tickle below the waist)?
The ticklee? (Don't tickle your grandmother)?
The presence of observers? (Don't tickle till Uncle Harry has left)?
Co-synchronous events of the tickling? (Don't tickle while I'm carrying the kettle)?
Consideration of alternative strategies? (Don't tickle when you could poke)?

Rule 1 applies to the bathroom and the hall. Are there any other (as yet undiscovered) areas where it might apply?
It involves indirect bodily fluids. Blood? Sweat? Tears? Other?
It involves minimal movement. Arms? Legs? Head? Shoulders? Knees? Toes? Other?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rule 2 : don't touch the driver of the car ??
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 08:53 am:

Do the specific circumstances relating to Rule 2 relate to:
The timing of the tickling? (Don't tickle before the sun crosses the yard arm)? no
The duration of the tickling? (Don't tickle for more than a minute)? no
The location of the tickling? (Don't tickle at the dining table)? no
The parts of the body to be tickled? (Don't tickle below the waist)? no
The ticklee? (Don't tickle your grandmother)? no
The presence of observers? (Don't tickle till Uncle Harry has left)? no
Co-synchronous events of the tickling? (Don't tickle while I'm carrying the kettle)? yes, but nothing to do with safety like your suggestion
Consideration of alternative strategies? (Don't tickle when you could poke)? no - in this particular circumstance poking would be equally forbidden

Rule 1 applies to the bathroom and the hall. Are there any other (as yet undiscovered) areas where it might apply?
It involves indirect bodily fluids. Blood? Sweat? Tears? Other? other
It involves minimal movement. Arms? Legs? Head? Shoulders? Knees? Toes? Other? strictly speaking, none of these

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:02 am:

rule 2 : don't touch the driver of the car ?? no - common sense rules such as these were a given
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it likely that any other family has the same rules as yours? That another family needs to?
For rule 2, is it relevant who would be being tickled? A human being?
For rule one, is water relevant? Is any action that takes place in the bathroom relevant? The cleaning of teeth? Is the bodily fluid saliva?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Rule 2, is the relevant co-synchronous event related to the person being tickled? (EG Don't tickle me while I'm on the telephone)? Or to the tickler? (EG Don't tickle while you're wearing your mittens)? Or to both? (Eg Don't tickle while we're eating dinner)?

We're running out of bodily fluids for Rule 1 ... I do hope your answer was "yes" to saliva .... Anything to do with earwax? or the stuff that comes out of your nose when you sneeze?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, heck, I'll ask it...
Is the bodily fluid involved in rule 1 urine?
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh - that's one that didn't occur to me, as our bathroom is in a separate room from the toilet (or vice versa)....

Lynne - is there a toilet in your bathroom? relevant?
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wash your hands after using the toilet? I hope that's a given, too
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still on Rule #1:
was it a rule that should have been obvious?

Was it necessary because of the physical layout of the bathroom and hallway? (maybe the position of the door to the bathroom relative to the hall, or the position of the toilet relative to the door? Anything like that?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Faben (Bentarm) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 02:59 pm:

Is it likely that any other family has the same rules as yours? I don't see why not That another family needs to? these are common things that are done
For rule 2, is it relevant who would be being tickled? yessish A human being? interestingly, not necessarily, we also said that the dog should not be tickled under these circumstances
For rule one, is water relevant? it's intrinsic to the situation Is any action that takes place in the bathroom relevant? yessish The cleaning of teeth? this could also be of relevance Is the bodily fluid saliva? no

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 03:21 pm:

For Rule 2, is the relevant co-synchronous event related to the person being tickled? (EG Don't tickle me while I'm on the telephone)? this one (but nothing to do with the telephone) Or to the tickler? (EG Don't tickle while you're wearing your mittens)? Or to both? (Eg Don't tickle while we're eating dinner)?

We're running out of bodily fluids for Rule 1 ... I do hope your answer was "yes" to saliva .... Anything to do with earwax? or the stuff that comes out of your nose when you sneeze? no to both

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:34 pm:

Oh, heck, I'll ask it...
Is the bodily fluid involved in rule 1 urine? yes - and for the purposes of accuracy, bathroom in this case can refer to just a toilet, but it could be the whole bathroom with sink, toilet and bath. Beyond that, urine is only relevant in that it defines the relevant room. No further investigation into urine is necessary:)

By John Faben (Bentarm) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:54 pm:

Oh - that's one that didn't occur to me, as our bathroom is in a separate room from the toilet (or vice versa).... in our particular case, the toilet was in it's own little room

Lynne - is there a toilet in your bathroom? relevant? yes, but see above about this applying equally to a full bathroom or just a toilet

By Arjun (Jun) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

Wash your hands after using the toilet? I hope that's a given, too that's a given and not relevant here

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:15 pm:

Still on Rule #1:
was it a rule that should have been obvious? yes, but well - you know human nature.....

Was it necessary because of the physical layout of the bathroom and hallway? yes (maybe the position of the door to the bathroom relative to the hall, or the position of the toilet relative to the door? Anything like that? nothing to do with the door - something else....

So to tidy things up I'll proffer a recappity bappity

Rule one - refers to the bathroom or room in which there is just a toilet and 'something's' position relative to the hall. There is a minor action done on the part of the rulebreaker.

Rule two - Don't tickle me when I'm....... The dog is also to be protected under this rule.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rule #2: Don't tickle me when I'm asleep?
when I'm upset?
when I'm not looking?

Rule #1: something else in the room with the toilet: well, the toilet itself?
if so, the tank? the bowl? the flush-lever?
the sink? (Don't pee in the sink? ewww.)
the towels?
the soap?
the toilet paper or toilet paper holder?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:41 pm:

Rule #2: Don't tickle me when I'm asleep?
when I'm upset?
when I'm not looking? none of these

Rule #1: something else in the room with the toilet no
: well, the toilet itself?
if so, the tank? the bowl? the flush-lever?
the sink? (Don't pee in the sink? ewww.)
the towels?
the soap?
the toilet paper or toilet paper holder? none of these
Tony (E20)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad we've got those bodily fluids sorted out ... though I see others have appeared elsewhere in the forum ... hope it's not the start of a trend! J

To break Rule 1, must the offender be inside the room with the toilet? Or outside? Or either? Must someone else be in the toilet at the time of the offence? Does the room have a window? A keyhole?

Rule 2. Tickling is banned when you (or the dog) are performing a specific action?
Eating? Crying? Laughing? Singing (...you might have a musical dog!)? Running? Lying down? Growling? Using the room from Rule 1?
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could rule 1 be equally easily broken by a male or a female member of the family?
the thing that immunises one from tickling... is it dangerous to be tickled whilst doing this thing? likely to damage oneself? the tickler? property? or merely unpleasant in some way?
Is there some side-effect to tickling that would interfere with this particular activity? (eg, don't tickle me when I'm playing that game with the little hoop and the metal wire that buzzes when they touch) Would the ticklee likely get mad with the tickler if tickled in this particular situation? more so than usual?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:36 am:

Glad we've got those bodily fluids sorted out ... though I see others have appeared elsewhere in the forum ... hope it's not the start of a trend! J I know, we usually stick to blood and guts :)

To break Rule 1, must the offender be inside the room with the toilet? Or outside? outside Or either? Must someone else be in the toilet at the time of the offence? yes Does the room have a window? no A keyhole? no

Rule 2. Tickling is banned when you (or the dog) are performing a specific action? yes
Eating? Crying? Laughing? Singing (...you might have a musical dog!)? Running? Lying down? Growling? Using the room from Rule 1? none of these

By John Faben (Bentarm) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 12:50 pm:

Could rule 1 be equally easily broken by a male or a female member of the family? yes
the thing that immunises one from tickling... is it dangerous to be tickled whilst doing this thing? no likely to damage oneself? no the tickler? only in retaliation property? no or merely unpleasant in some way? correct
Is there some side-effect to tickling that would interfere with this particular activity? (eg, don't tickle me when I'm playing that game with the little hoop and the metal wire that buzzes when they touch) no Would the ticklee likely get mad with the tickler if tickled in this particular situation? yes more so than usual? yes
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RULE 1 - is it something like "don't talk when passing by the bathroom, as you could distract the person inside and they could make a mess ?"
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

RULE 1 - is it something like "don't talk when passing by the bathroom, as you could distract the person inside and they could make a mess ?" nope :)
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I
Would the offender make a noise? communicate with the person in the toilet in any way?
Is toilet paper involved?
II
Would the tickler dislike being tickled because it distracted them from the activity they were involved in? Because teh activity made them particularly sensitive to being tickled?