Archive through June 02, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » << Zenith >> Not in the Band... » Archive through June 02, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "I shall hear in Heaven" relevant in any way?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "I shall hear in Heaven" relevant in any way? Yope :)
Tricia Harvey (Trixie)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so it's Ludwig van Beethoven, right? Did he consider his deafness a blessing to himself?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so it's Ludwig van Beethoven, right? naturally Did he consider his deafness a blessing to himself? yessish, have a closer look at the wording of the puzzle decleration
Tricia Harvey (Trixie)
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I once hear that Beethoven thought the pieces of music he wrote in his later years were not particularly good and therefore wasn't too worried that he couldn't hear them?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I once hear that Beethoven thought the pieces of music he wrote in his later years were not particularly good and therefore wasn't too worried that he couldn't hear them? I don't know if you had, however this is not the case here. After his deafness, Beethoven's music became revolutionary, but I don't think he thought less of it. After all, his Ninth Symphony was completed in this time, and despite his deafness, he still insisted on conducting its first performance.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

However, you have rasied an interesting point relevent to the puzzle... :)
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see if I can wake this one up...

Was his deafness a blessing in that he couldn't hear other composer's works? Did he not think much of (some?) other composer's works?

Was the blessing that his deafness gave him a reason not go to concerts if he didn't want to? That it did away with distractions from outside noise while he was composing?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see if I can wake this one up... thankyou :)

Was his deafness a blessing in that he couldn't hear other composer's works? no Did he not think much of (some?) other composer's works? no

Was the blessing that his deafness gave him a reason not go to concerts if he didn't want to? no That it did away with distractions from outside noise while he was composing? no

Hint: There is some relevent information outside Beethovan and his deafness still to be found
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see if I can wake this one up... thankyou :)

Was his deafness a blessing in that he couldn't hear other composer's works? no Did he not think much of (some?) other composer's works? no

Was the blessing that his deafness gave him a reason not go to concerts if he didn't want to? no That it did away with distractions from outside noise while he was composing? no, but OTRT

Hint: There is some relevent information outside Beethovan and his deafness still to be found
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is some heightened part of his other senses relevant?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is some heightened part of his other senses relevant? no
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OTRT, hmmm? Was the blessing that his deafness did away with something? That he was less distracted? That he was less likely to be influenced by things he heard?

The relevant other information: does it have to do with where he lived? when he lived? his home life? his social life?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OTRT, hmmm? Was the blessing that his deafness did away with something? not really That he was less distracted? probably not That he was less likely to be influenced by things he heard? yes, explore

The relevant other information: does it have to do with where he lived? when he lived? his home life? his social life? none of the above
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his music somehow become "purer" because he couldn't hear what other composers were doing and be influenced by them?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his music somehow become "purer" because he couldn't hear what other composers were doing and be influenced by them? no, OTWrT
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. I'm at a loss... not that that's uncommon.
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he believe that his deafness allowed him to better hear his music in his head? And thus he could write it down better?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he believe that his deafness allowed him to better hear his music in his head? i'd like to say yes on that one, very much on the right track, but this is not the case: there is a lot of stuff missing here And thus he could write it down better? no
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his deafness allow him to sense sound waves and/or pick up vibrations?
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his deafness allow him to sense sound waves and/or pick up vibrations? irrelevent
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his deafness allow him use another sense in an effective way for his music?