Hello all Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » Hello all « Previous Next »

Craig Hall (Craig_Hall_2005)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, been a fan of puzzles for years and have only just found this site. Anyway, here's an old one I couldn't find on this site so I thought I'd post it.....

Ok,

You're in a room. And all that's in the room is a load of bags, as many as you wish. In these bags there are pieces of gold, again as many as you wish, but for the sake of argument let's say they weigh 1 kg each. However, in one of the bags there is fake gold pieces that weigh slightly more than the real gold, let's say it weighs 1.1kg per piece. Finally, in the room there is a
weighing machine that costs 10p to use once. You only have one 10p coin on you.

Knowing this information, how do you determine which bag contains the fake gold?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Craig, and welcome to the forum :)

This isn't exactly the kind of puzzle we do here, which may explain why you can't find it or anything like it on this site.

The answer, of course (assuming that there are 9 bags for the sake of example) is to take one coin from bag 1, two coins from bag 2, three coins from bag 3 and so forth. The resulting 45 coins will weigh 45.x kg, where x is the number of the bag containing the fake gold.

Have a look at the "Getting Started" section of the forum to find out what kind of puzzles we do, and read some of the Current Puzzles. And have fun :)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: