Archive through July 27, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2005 » [Abc] Haven't you heard she's a psychopath? » Archive through July 27, 2005 « Previous Next »

Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once Ron sees Sarah, he shuns away and hopes she hasn't seen him. He takes extreme measures to avoid her. Yet, the day before, they were the best of friends, and he enjoyed her company a lot. No new information about her has come to his attention in the time in between. So why the change in attitude?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron = male living adult human? Sarah = female living adult human?

Is there something about Sarah's appearance that changes Ron's attitude? Something that she is doing?

Has something happened to Sarah in the intervening time? Has something happened to Ron?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron = male living adult human? Sarah = female living adult human? Both yes

Is there something about Sarah's appearance that changes Ron's attitude? No Something that she is doing? No

Has something happened to Sarah in the intervening time? No Has something happened to Ron? No
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torgeir!

Has Ron just bought a packet of his favourite confectionary and is reluctant to share it?

Something changed in his circumstances?

Does Ron still like Sarah?

Is he planning a surprise for her or planning something, full stop?

Anyone else relevant involved?
Location relevant?
Time relevant?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he looks at her, will it affect him negatively? Will it affect her negatively? Will she be harmed? If no to the above, does he think that some of the above is true?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torgeir!
Hi, Simon! Doing awright?

Has Ron just bought a packet of his favourite confectionary and is reluctant to share it? No, he's really not that much of a miser

Something changed in his circumstances? Um... no...ish

Does Ron still like Sarah? Yes

Is he planning a surprise for her or planning something, full stop? Neither

Anyone else relevant involved? No
Location relevant? Slightlyish
Time relevant? Yes

If he looks at her, will it affect him negatively? No
Will it affect her negatively? No
Will she be harmed? No
If no to the above, does he think that some of the above is true? No
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm awright!
You awright?

Torgeir check email - for a long shot
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he somewhere that he shouldn't be at the time that he sees her? Is it somewhere that it would be all right for him to be at another time? (e.g., he's in a store, but it's during school hours?)

Is the relationship between Ron and Sarah relevant, beyond that they are friends?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually - your mailbox is unavailable!

Can you send an alternative address to me by email?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, I think I've got through :-)
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon - you actually got through twice! :-) I answered.

Is he somewhere that he shouldn't be at the time that he sees her? No
Is it somewhere that it would be all right for him to be at another time? (e.g., he's in a store, but it's during school hours?) All no

Is the relationship between Ron and Sarah relevant, beyond that they are friends? Yesish
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they employee/boss? If so is Ron the employee?

Are they student/teacher? If so, is Ron the student?

Are they siblings? if so is which is the elder relevant? Is Ron the elder?

Are they relatives? If so, by blood? by marriage? relevant?

Are they lovers? engaged to be married? Married?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they employee/boss? If so is Ron the employee?

Are they student/teacher? If so, is Ron the student?

Are they siblings? if so is which is the elder relevant? Is Ron the elder?

Are they relatives? If so, by blood? by marriage? relevant?

Are they lovers? engaged to be married? Married?
None of these. My answer to your previous question about their relationship may have been a bit misleading. Let's just say they're good friends, have been so for some time, and know each other well. This sets (I hope) a believable framing for the puzzle. Apart from that, there is nothing formal that is relevant about their relationship.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, OK. Yes, you answered differently than I intended. But now I'm without any ideas, again. Phui.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the era relevant?
Time of day relevant?
Country relevant?
Type of location relevant?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the era relevant? Yesish, although I don't think it can be pinned down very precisely
Time of day relevant? No
Country relevant? Same as for era
Type of location relevant? No
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very bad bonus joke:

What way did the violent psychiatric patient follow through the forest?

The psycho path, of course.

Warning: the above joke is there only to make you groan; it has no relevance whatsoever to the puzzle.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this scenario based on anything other than AFOYI?

If yes:
some fact?
some work of fiction?

Is the country in Europe?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this scenario based on anything other than AFOYI? Yes

If yes:
some fact? Yes
some work of fiction? No

Is the country in Europe? Could be several, I think, inside or outside of Europe.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For what it's worth, here are the recorded instructions from switchboard at the local psychiatric hospital:

"Please choose one of the following options:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 over and over and over again;

If you are multiple personality, touch 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

If you are hysterical, don't touch any buttons whatsoever, something terrible might happen;

If you are bipolar, touch 1, then 9;

If you are schizophrenic, don't touch any buttons, a little voice will tell you what to do;

If you are paranoid, there is no need to touch any buttons. We know who you are, we know where you live, and we will be coming to get you very soon.

If you are a psychopath, rip the cord out of the wall and run away with the phone;

If you are an anal-retentive psychopath, take the phone apart. Place each piece in a plastic bag. Tape each plastic bag tightly shut. Place all the plastic bags into a large, brown paper bag, which you then place in the southeast corner of your freezer.

If you are depressed, do not touch any buttons. It wouldn't do any good anyway.

If you are manic, touch as many buttons as you can as fast as possible;

If you are narcissist, touch yourself.
"
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything of the supernatural involved?
Anything religious?
Anything superstitious?

Is the time period more than say 200 years ago?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything of the supernatural involved?
Anything religious?
Anything superstitious? No to these, maybe with a tiny "-ish" to superstitious.

Is the time period more than say 200 years ago? I've done a little googling, but it is difficult to put definite starting and ending points to it. I suppose it might even be present day. I would guess it could also be 200 years ago.