[Nimue] Harmful Help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2005 » [Nimue] Harmful Help « Previous Next »

Felicia Nimue Ackerman (Nimue)
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a study aid that is effective, legal, and ethical--in fact, it's frequently recommended by (stupid) teachers--but defeats the stated aim of the course for which it is used . What is it???
Lana (Lana)
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a science course? Do the teachers allow students to inject animals with chemicals? Are these students studying to become doctors/vets? Are the teachers stupid for allowing this because it appears medieval? Were it would be totally unnecessary with all the technical advances? This "study aid" is it on a piece of paper? Do they practice this everywhere?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the aid...
physical?
mental?
emotional?
written?
Printed?
a technique?
musical?
chemical?
Ritalin for hyperactive boys?
spoken?
tactile?
related to memorization?
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lana (Lana) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:10 am:

Is this a science course? no Do the teachers allow students to inject animals with chemicals? no Are these students studying to become doctors/vets? no Are the teachers stupid for allowing this because it appears medieval? no Were it would be totally unnecessary with all the technical advances? no This "study aid" is it on a piece of paper? noDo they practice this everywhere? possibly

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:14 am:

Is the aid...
physical? no
mental? yes
emotional? no
written? no
Printed? no
a technique? yesish
musical? yesish
chemical? no
Ritalin for hyperactive boys? no
spoken? no
tactile? no
related to memorization? yes
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve...
Listening to Mozart?
Creating a Nemonic(sp?)?
Creating a Jingle?
e.g. (to the music of "I'm Bad" by Micheal Jackson)
You know I'm FAT!
I'm fat!
Adipose makes me fat.
You know I'm fat...

God I hated my anatomy/physiology teacher. And yet.. now I will never forget what Adipose cells are.
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:58 pm:

Does it involve...
Listening to Mozart?possibly
Creating a Nemonic(sp?)? yes
Creating a Jingle? yes
e.g. (to the music of "I'm Bad" by Micheal Jackson)
You know I'm FAT!
I'm fat!
Adipose makes me fat.
You know I'm fat...

God I hated my anatomy/physiology teacher. And yet.. now I will never forget what Adipose cells are.

Now all ytou have to so is figure out why this defeats the purpose of the course...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the course itself anything to do with music? or memory?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with the idea that, if you create a nemonic/jingle to tell/sing to yourself to help you remember... you can't use it when you take the test because all tests must be taken in silence?
Does it relate to the idea that when people are searching through a library card catalog, they look pretty retarded if they're standing there singing... "A, B, C, D..." ?
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

Is the course itself anything to do with music? yes or memory? yesish

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

Does it have to do with the idea that, if you create a nemonic/jingle to tell/sing to yourself to help you remember... you can't use it when you take the test because all tests must be taken in silence? no. As the puzzle statement says, the study aid is effective
Does it relate to the idea that when people are searching through a library card catalog, they look pretty retarded if they're standing there singing... "A, B, C, D..." ? no

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the course about:
musical composition?
musical performance?
music appreciation?
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

Is the course about:
musical composition? no
musical performance? no
music appreciation? yes
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the idea that a mnemonic jingle you would use to remember something could put the actual music you were studying out of your head?
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

Is the idea that a mnemonic jingle you would use to remember something could put the actual music you were studying out of your head? no
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the idea that the jingle is silly music that is hard to appreciate?
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

Is the idea that the jingle is silly music that is hard to appreciate? This is close enlough for me to declare a
****SPOILER******
Students in music appreciation courses often keep use mnemonic devices that consist of identifying jingles set to the music. Famous examples include, "This is the symphony that Schubert wrote and never finished" amnd "Papa Haydn's dead and gone/But his memory lingers on."
These jingles help you remember the music but permanenty hinder your appreciation of it because you can never get the jingle out of your mind & it makes the music sound silly whenever you hear it played. The incredible easiness of this puzzled is another good illustration of how bad I am at gauging difficulty. I would have thought it would be harder than "Why is This Year," but that's now on its third archive....Anyway, please check out my new one st the bottom of the page.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: